Highlighting side effects, warnings, interactions, and more
« Topamax’s Uses and Using | Topamax’s Pros and Cons »
|US brand name: Topamax|
| Generic name: topiramate |
Topamax’s Potential Side Effects
Potential Side Effects All Crazy Meds Have
No matter which neurological and/or psychiatric drug you take, you’ll probably get one or more of these side effects. These will usually be gone, or at least will diminish to the point where you barely notice it most of the time, within a week or two.
- Drowsiness / fatigue - even when taking stimulants in some circumstances.
- Insomnia, instead of or alternating with the drowsiness.
- Assorted other minor GI complaints (constipation, diarrhea, etc.)
- Generally feeling spacey / out of it
- Which can all add up to the ever-helpful “flu-like symptoms” listed as an adverse event on the PI sheet of practically every medication on the planet used to treat almost any condition humans and other animals could have.1
- All crazy meds can, and probably will affect your dreams as well. There is no way of telling if that will be good or bad, let alone if this side effect is permanent or temporary.
- Any of the above side effects you see listed again below means they’re even more likely to happen and/or stick around longer and/or are worse than most other meds.
Typical Potential Side Effects
Sleepiness , fatigue , and/or lethargy . A pins & needles effect / tingling in the extremities that usually goes away after a week or two - but you want this one if you’re taking Topamax for migraines. Sodas and other carbonated beverages will taste like ass. Memory loss , aphasia (weird words coming out in place of what you meant to say or write) , word find problems (not being able to recall the names of people, things or concepts), and a general cognitive impairment that has earned this drug the nicknames “Stupamax” and “Dopamax.”
Uncommon Potential Side Effects
Dry and/or itchy eyes along with assorted vision problems. You may find yourself having panic attacks when you drink coffee , so be prepared to quit the bean. Food in general, and not just carbonated beverages, may not taste quite the same . Frequent, intense déjà vu or jamais vu. If you were experiencing one prior to taking Topamax be prepared to experience the other.
Freaky Rare Side Effects
Tongue paralysis, neverending cough, staghorn calculus (I’d like to know how you do calculus using antlers), and palinopsia and the Alice in Wonderland syndrome. So Topamax explains Sarah Palin?
Not all side effects have been listed here, just the most likely and most interesting. For all reported side effects, see Topamax’s PI Sheet.
What You Really Need to be Careful About
Glaucoma, not sweating (oligohidrosis), kidney stones, metabolic acidosis.
D-Will probably harm your baby
Topamax’s Noted Drug-Drug, Drug-Food & Drug-Supplement Interactions
- Don’t mix Topamax with ethinyl estradiol (estrogen)-based birth control.
- Don’t take Topamax with carbonic anhydrase inhibitors like acetazolamide and brinzolamide.
- Topamax + phenytoin or fosphenytoin = less Topamax and more phenytoin/fosphenytoin.
- Topamax can cause lithium levels to change in an unpredictable manner.
- Taking Topamax and Glucophage (metformin) together may not be a good idea, since they do the exact same thing.
- Topamax’s affect on metformin’s clearance, etc. is minor. You’d get the equivalent of a 25% increase in metformin dosage. Since they do the same thing, but there’s not a lot of information on how well Topamax works in that regard, there’s no way to tell how much of Topamax equal how much metformin.
Check for Other Drug-Drug, Drug-Food & Drug-Supplement Interactions Topamax may have at
Drugs.com’s drug-drug and drug-food interaction checker
It’s always a good idea to check for drug-drug interactions yourself. Just because most people in the crazy meds business know about really important interactions (e.g. MAOIs and a lot of stuff, warfarin and everything on the planet) doesn’t mean the person who prescribed your meds told you about them, or the pharmacist has all the meds you take at their fingertips like they’re supposed to. Or they have the time to do their jobs properly when not dealing with complete idiots or playing Angry Farmers on teh Faecesbooks.
Learn more about drug-everything interactions on our page of tips about taking crazy meds.
Pages and Forum Topics Google Thinks are Relevant to Your Mental Health
1 As well as being an indication of half of said conditions.
2 More along the lines of 'sand' and the occasional 'pebble' than anything approaching a stone. My daughter, however, once passed a Topamax-induced stone about the size of a pencil eraser.
|Last modified on Wed, 04 May, 2016 at 16:18:15 by JerodPoore||Page Author Jerod Poore||Date created Tuesday, 11 January 2011 at 13:43:23|
|“Topamax (topiramate) Pharmacology” by Jerod Poore is copyright © 2011 Jerod Poore ||Published online 2011/01/11|
Topamax, and all other drug names on this page and used throughout the site, are the trademarks of someone else. Topamax’s PI Sheet will probably have the name of the manufacturer and trademark owner (they’re not always the same company) at or near the very bottom. Or ask Google who the owner is. The way pharmaceutical companies buy each other and swap products like Monopoly™ real estate, the ownership of the trademark may have changed without my noticing. It may of changed hands by the time you finished reading this article.
Page design and explanatory material by Jerod Poore, copyright © 2003 - 2016. All rights reserved. See the full copyright notice for full copyright details.
Don’t automatically believe everything you read on teh Intergoogles. No warranty is expressed or implied in this information. Consult one or more doctors and/or pharmacists before taking, or changing how you take any neurological and/or psychiatric medication. Your mileage may vary. What happened to us won’t necessarily happen to you. For more details see the Crazymeds big-ass disclaimer.
Enable Crazymeds’ Financial Solvency!
Enable Crazymeds to keep spreading our knowledge. Donate some spare e-currency you have floating around The Cloud.
Improve Your Social Media Skills
Sites That Probably Suck Less Than Crazymeds
Community, Info & Support