williamclarkonet

Does provigil work well for narcolepsy?

8 posts in this topic

Does Provigil work well for narcolepsy? Anyone have success stories?

That's what its Wikipedia page says. I've never tried it because I don't have a sleeping disorder

The standard treatment was Dexedrine for years, IDK if that has changed.

1 person likes this

See your pdoc and ask his/her advice.

On 5/1/2016 at 6:19 PM, williamclarkonet said:

Does Provigil work well for narcolepsy? Anyone have success stories?

It worked fairly well for my idiopathic hypersomnia, but personally I had to take 400 mg before it began to work. Everyone is different, but in my personal experience, I had much better of an experience with Nuvigil (250 mg was my dosage). I'd say either one is definitely worth a try if you can get your insurance to agree to pay for them. Provigil is generic, so if you have insurance and can get them to approve it, it shouldn't be that expensive at all; however, Nuvigil, if you can get it approved, has a coupon to reduce the copay (otherwise it's pretty pricey!).

On 5/3/2016 at 0:01 PM, notfred said:

The standard treatment was Dexedrine for years, IDK if that has changed.

Like notfred mentioned, the traditional stimulants like Dexedrine are also a treatment (as well as Adderall and Ritalin, etc.), however at least from my experience, it seems they are trying to push these newer eugeroic stimulants like Provigil and Nuvigil more and more for treatment of narcolepsy and other sleep disorders over the traditional stimulants like Adderall, Ritalin, Dexedrine, etc., since they're supposedly much less addictive, and I think they're supposedly safer on the heart too. But there's certainly nothing wrong with the traditional stimulants unless there's some particular reason why you can't take them, medical or otherwise. Personally, I've taken Adderall XR up to 90 mg for my idiopathic hypersomnia in the past, and am currently on Dexedrine Spansule 30 mg. (I'm thinking about giving Vyvanse a retry, or switching back to Adderall XR again because my pdoc won't raise my Dexedrine dose past 30 mg for some reason, despite having prescribed me beyond the maximum dose of Adderall XR in the past.)

ProVigil worked for my hypersomnia but not as well as NuVigil.  Thankfully my doctor was able to get my insurance company to approve the NuVigil, which has made an amazing difference in my life!  Definitely addictive, though, so be careful...

Its pretty effective for Excessive Daytime Sleepiness 

Nuvigil (250) gives me better results for my narcolepsy than modafinil (400 mg). My insurance is no longer covering Nuvigil sadly. I prefer the traditional stimulants to either and had good results when I combined 20 mg Adderall with 70 mg Vyvanse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk