Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chunkOfCheesecake

Hypovigilance

3 posts in this topic

Any thoughts on treatments to resolve hypovigilance?  (notice the "hypo"; less vigilant).

That is: lack of alertness, awareness, and anticipation. For me, caffeine does not help at all; it just gives that caffeine buzz.

You don't list your diagnosis or what drugs you take. Depression could probably cause hypovigilance, as could pretty much any sedating drug. You might be able to treat it by changing your cocktail to include less sedating drugs or even activating drugs (Wellbutrin instead of a sedating antidepressant. A classic mood stabilizer or one of the newer AAPs instead of older AAPs that tend to be more sedating.)

I'm not taking any medications currently. A thought was:

Instead of reuptake inhibition (i.e. norepinephrine / dopamine), how about the prospect of serotonin (5-HT) antagonism?

For example, the 5-HT2c modulates norepinephrine (and dopamine) in the prefrontal cortex (among other parts of the brain); antagonism of such 5-HT receptors should produce less inhibition of norepinephrine. There are of course other 5-HT types affecting other areas.