Eva

Did Risperidone give me brain damage?

18 posts in this topic

I have bipolar disorder and I was hospitalized for 4 weeks and given Risperidone. Even though I stopped taking this medication 3 months ago, I'm still having severe side-effects. I feel like I was given a lobotomy...my memory is gone (short-term and long-term), my mind is completely blank and devoid of thoughts, I have severe fatigue, ringing in my ears, etc. It's like my memory was wiped clean - where there used be thoughts there is now blankness/nothingness. I feel like a zombie. All I do now is sleep 16+ hours a day and my time awake is spent in a terror/panic that I'm never going to get better. I'm so terrified that I'm going to be like this forever. There's no way I can live the rest of my life in this condition and I feel like death is my only solution. Will this ever go away? Any advice would be appreciated...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No it didn't damage your brain. You need to visit a pdoc to help you find a medication that will work for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stopping Risperidone simply let your mental state deteriorate further.  You need to see your pdoc about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The answer to your question is no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This shit again? Seriously? Okay. Well, if Risperdal were able to cause that much neurological damage, which I don't, then I'd say you're fucked.

You're about one step away from being Mr. Potatohead in Depends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, peacelizard said:

This shit again? Seriously? Okay. Well, if Risperdal were able to cause that much neurological damage, which I don't, then I'd say you're fucked.

You're about one step away from being Mr. Potatohead in Depends.

Frankly, I believe that somewhere on some anti-psych site, someone has made a specific target out of Risperdal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Demento said:

Frankly, I believe that somewhere on some anti-psych site, someone has made a specific target out of Risperdal. 

I highly doubt they'd only be shit-canning Risperdal lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, annatroy said:

 Wait a minute here.  I have a really good memory for words - is this a direct copy/paste from your post on the other board? 

 

On 5/9/2016 at 5:32 PM, Eva said:
I have bipolar disorder and I was hospitalized for 4 weeks and given Risperidone. Even though I stopped taking this medication 3 months ago, I'm still having severe side-effects. I feel like I was given a lobotomy...my memory is gone (short-term and long-term), my mind is completely blank and devoid of thoughts, I have severe fatigue, ringing in my ears, etc. It's like my memory was wiped clean - where there used be thoughts there is now blankness/nothingness. I feel like a zombie. All I do now is sleep 16+ hours a day and my time awake is spent in a terror/panic that I'm never going to get better. I'm so terrified that I'm going to be like this forever. There's no way I can live the rest of my life in this condition and I feel like death is my only solution. Will this ever go away? Any advice would be appreciated...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With all the AAPs I have tried and stopped, if they caused this much damage I'd be dead.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eva, the hand-to-heart God's honest truth is, you need to copy/paste the OTHER part of your post here, which you conveniently left out . . . I just remembered that you posted you were smoking so much freaking weed that you thought people were trying to kill you and called the cops to tell them so.  That's why you were given the Risperdal, and now that you are clean and not smoking bud, and you aren't taking any other psych meds, any number of things could be going on.  Major depression, anxiety in the form of obsessing over your health, or whatever it was that drove you to become such a heavy weed smoker in the first place, a.k.a. a pre-existing condition.  You need to see a therapist and be evaluated instead of coming online and trying to get your paranoid opinions validated on a pro-medication website.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 1:22 AM, annatroy said:

Eva, the hand-to-heart God's honest truth is, you need to copy/paste the OTHER part of your post here, which you conveniently left out . . . I just remembered that you posted you were smoking so much freaking weed that you thought people were trying to kill you and called the cops to tell them so.  That's why you were given the Risperdal, and now that you are clean and not smoking bud, and you aren't taking any other psych meds, any number of things could be going on.  Major depression, anxiety in the form of obsessing over your health, or whatever it was that drove you to become such a heavy weed smoker in the first place, a.k.a. a pre-existing condition.  You need to see a therapist and be evaluated instead of coming online and trying to get your paranoid opinions validated on a pro-medication website.

I believe this was actually a user with the screen name Treterr (sp?), no?    I don't think he was hospitalized or given an official diagnosis either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do feel a bit badly about coming down so hard on "Eva" but the truth is that yes, the cognitive dulling does return to normal.  We do our brains a great disservice when we make the assumption that one month on an extremely low dose of a medication like Risperdal can cause permanent damage.  I just had a brain map done - an eeG.  The malfunctioning areas of my brain are going to successfully be re-trained via neurofeedback, and I expect to see wonderful results.  Fear is never our friend.  It is far better to try our best to anticipate securely . . . to be honest with ourselves in that moment of panic and remember the total picture when we have abused a medication recreationally but are tempted to blame something else.  Coming onto this website and expressing fears about side effects is one thing, but on the previous website this user posted the exact. same. question. and received multiple thoughtful, kind, and accurate responses.  Very irksome and we encourage our members here not to be afraid of the neuro-protective medications they have been prescribed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel bad to a point, but there's little we can do to change things. We can provide education, encourage connecting with local services and just generally provide support. Beyond that, it's up to the individual person to do the work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AnnaTroy is correct.  Many of the APs we take are neuroprotective and help us in the long term.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 0:21 AM, annatroy said:

I do feel a bit badly about coming down so hard on "Eva" but the truth is that yes, the cognitive dulling does return to normal.  We do our brains a great disservice when we make the assumption that one month on an extremely low dose of a medication like Risperdal can cause permanent damage.  I just had a brain map done - an eeG.  The malfunctioning areas of my brain are going to successfully be re-trained via neurofeedback, and I expect to see wonderful results.  Fear is never our friend.  It is far better to try our best to anticipate securely . . . to be honest with ourselves in that moment of panic and remember the total picture when we have abused a medication recreationally but are tempted to blame something else.  Coming onto this website and expressing fears about side effects is one thing, but on the previous website this user posted the exact. same. question. and received multiple thoughtful, kind, and accurate responses.  Very irksome and we encourage our members here not to be afraid of the neuro-protective medications they have been prescribed.

 

There is certainly a misunderstanding. The cognitive dulling, that some experience, isn't brain damage but rather a cell signaling adjustment, generally through affecting channels and transporters (e.g. antagonists, agonists). This should be reversible over time; but it seems there are some where these effects can stick around for a bit longer (for a number of reasons) -- so these particular people get upset, understandably.

Education is needed, all around, so folks can correctly categorize the result of a drug interaction, allowing them to make better decisions on what to do next.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Eva, how are you doing are you getting better?

I posted a thread a while back with similar symptoms, and some of the members here are confusing your post to mine since we're displaying similar symptoms lol.  I have a pain on my frontal lobe and it never goes away, I believe that to be the brain dmg, I pray its not pernament.   Your condition sounds more serious then mine as you are sleeping 16 hours a day completely memory loss and you have ringing in the ear.  Ringing in the ear is a sign of an adverse effect, and I believe risperidone was wrong med.  When you noticed ringing in the ear you should have stopped the drugs right away. Did you receive risperidone oral or the shot?  The shot has a much longer half life then the pills and its possible its still in your system.  For me I stopped the pills in Jan I seem to be able to talk more, its possible I'm improving or I'm just getting used to being retarded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn. These questions come and go in these forums, specifically about Risperdal and Invega. They do not cause brain damage. What does cause brain damage is letting mental illness remain unchecked/remaining unmedicated. The damage done to the brain during depressive, manic, and psychotic episodes is observable in brain scans. And as many others have said, by manipulating specific neurotransmitters and their receptors, psychiatric medications can be neuroprotective, by keeping electrical signals in the brain in check and preventing imbalances in key chemicals.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps Eva is experiencing withdrawal effects since she got off the drug cold turkey as opposed to tapering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now