Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Why I Take Topamax: Not Your Average Reason!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Classically_James

Classically_James

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  • Diagnoses:see signature
  • Current Meds:See signature

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:47 PM

I discovered the main benefit of Topamax, for me, quite by accident while expiramenting with different dosages for other conditions. For me, topiramate has only worked mildly as an appetite supressant and mood stabilizer. However, for years now I have struggled with terribly embarrassing excessive sweating caused by my medications. SSRI's such as Lexapro (which I currently take), atypical antidepressants such as Wellbutrin (currently taking), and antipsychotics such as Seroquel (currently taking as well) can cause impaired internal temperature regulation and massively increased sweating. Until I took Topamax, I had chronic, humiliating excessive sweating. I would ruin clothes in the spring and summer, and could go into a "sweating attack" at any time, which could last for hours. When I would become hot and start to sweat, it would take hours and hours to stop. But now, taking topiramate? No more. I barely sweat at all. I regulate my temperature normally now. It's amazing....because it had gotten to the point where I couldn't even work in public because I would sweat so bad. But now with the Tope that's a thing of the past. However, I have to be a little careful in summer not to overheat because now my body can't cool itself down very well. So if I think I'm on the verge of a heat stroke I'll get into a cold shower right away. But the risk is worth it. I'm a social pariah no more! If you sweat excessively from antidepressants and other meds, you might want to consider a low dose....but wait! Topiramate can cause a lot of side-effects for most. Don't just take it blindly, research it first. But it could help you if you have a big problem with sweating, like I did.

Diagnoses:

1. Major Depressive Disorder (MDD - atypical type)

2. Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)

3. Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD)(in partial remission)

4. Cotard's Delusion (removed prior to DSM IV in 1994(in partial remission)  

Medications:

1  Luvox (fluvoxamine) 100 mg BID 

2. Abilify (aripiprazole) 10 mg QAM 

3. Forfivo XL (bupropion) 450 QAM

4. Seroquel (quetiapine) 100 mg QHS

5. Xanax (alprazolam) 2 mg TID

6. Desyrel  (trazodone) 150 mg QHS 

7. Lunesta (eszopiclone) 3 mg QHS

8. Soma (carisoprodol) 350 mg TID

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• Chief Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,078 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, Epilepsy NOS, Autism, Agoraphobia/Social Anxiety
  • Current Meds:LTG 200mg, TPM 250mg, protriptyline 40mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 45mg EPA 600

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:13 PM

If you sweat excessively from antidepressants and other meds, you might want to consider a low dose....but wait! Topiramate can cause a lot of side-effects for most. Don't just take it blindly, research it first. But it could help you if you have a big problem with sweating, like I did.

Even though decreased sweating (oligohidrosis) is in the warning section of the PI sheet, immediately after the part about narrow-angle glaucoma, a low dosage of Topamax is often the first or second medication listed in the treatment of excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis). At least the first carbonic anhydrase inhibitor (CAI) mentioned, it just depends if CAIs are listed before or after anticholinergics. Topamax's side effects suck less than Diamox's (acetazolamide), which is like some of Topamax's on steroids. That is probably true for Neptazane (methazolamide) as well.

There's another off-label use I should if and when the Topamax page is updated.
Jerod Poore - Owner, Founder and Chief Citizen Medical Expert of crazymeds.us
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

Wear my Straitjacket     Batshit Crazy Blog

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

#3 Classically_James

Classically_James

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:46 PM

Yeah, I know I'm on a relatively huge dose, but I'm trying to see if I can get some other benefits as well. Only time will tell.

Diagnoses:

Medications:

#4 Classically_James

Classically_James

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:55 PM

At 200 mg twice daily, it didn't take long for me to start getting the tingling in my feet and a general "buzzing" sensation in my limbs. Which is odd, since I was on brand 400 mg/day two years ago and had no side-effects. Anyway, I've gone back to 100 mg twice daily. And I'm thinking about going totally off topiramate, b/c my sweating has pretty much returned. So, for the one thing it did do for me, it's pooped out. Crappy drug.

james

Diagnoses:

Medications:

#5 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 500, CLZ 1.5-2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.25-.5

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:17 AM

Topamax didn't poop out on you, Mylan Topiramate pooped out on you. Try another generic.

D

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#6 Classically_James

Classically_James

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:08 PM

Good idea!! The sweating didn't return until I went off the Apotex generic....thank you daaaaahlink!!!!!!

j

Diagnoses:

Medications:

#7 want2Bfree

want2Bfree

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II
  • Current Meds:Lamictal ODT, Topamax, Klonopin

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:36 PM

But now, taking topiramate? No more. I barely sweat at all. I regulate my temperature normally now. It's amazing....

I know you said it failed you know, but wow, I think you were lucky there for awhile. I take the generic Topiramate for Topamax as well...wished it helped me in the sweaty palms and feet department that I was talking about in the Geodon forum, but no such luck. =/
Current Rx: Lamictal ODT Titration Kit, Topamax 150mg, Klonopin 1mg TID.

Past Rx: Zoloft, Prozac, Lexapro, Lamictal, Ativan, Abilify, Provigil, Geodon, Trileptal, Carbatrol (and there are probably some I am missing/forgetting.)

#8 Myshkin

Myshkin

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Diagnoses:Temporal lobe epilepsy, Sjogren's Syndrome and some old anxiety still popping up once in a while
  • Current Meds:Topiramate, baby dose of lexapro and occasional xanax. Plaquenil for the SS.

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:33 PM

No way! You wouldn't believe how glad I am to hear that. This drug seems like it will solve all my problems now! (a girl can be naive, right?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog