Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Non-stimulant Meds For Add - Wellbutrin, Strattera, Provigil

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 TemperaMental

TemperaMental

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar 1/ADHD
  • Current Meds:Lithium 650mg; Lamotrigine 100mg; Quetiapine 50mg; Sertraline 100mg; Zopiclone PRN; Propranolol PRN

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:29 PM

I flunked a recent trial of Adderall due to scary insomnia, and stims are no longer an option for me. But for the short time I could tolerate it it worked wonders. I was productive, placid, on-task and focused. To be honest, I really am devastated that I couldn't stick with it, because I've crashed back to the state of disorganization, chaos and confusion that's characterized my life thus far. Except now it feels worse because now I know that I do have it in me be different, after blaming myself my whole life, if only my brain chemistry can be tweaked in the just right way.

But there's always hope. My doc wanted me to research the non-stimulant meds that get used for ADHD before we meet next week, and I've been hard at work trying to figure out what might suit me best, but there's so much conflicting information out there that I'm just going round in circles.

So I'd appreciate any first-hand experiences from people who've taken these, and from comorbid bipolar/adhd types especially (reading these boards I know that there are plenty of bipolars out there who do just fine with stims, but not all). So if you've tried these drugs, please let me know what symptoms they helped or didn't, and what adverse effects did you suffer (if any).

Of the choices I've been given, Provigil seems like a non-starter to me, seeing as how it was initially designed to keep people with narcolepsy awake. Awake is not my problem.

I like the sound of Strattera a lot - much less risk of insomnia for a start. And although I have no idea what an agent that's selective for norepinephrine will do, the fact that it does a lot of its work in the prefrontal cortex intrigues me, as a whole lot of my bipolar/adhd symptoms could conceivably arise from dysfunction in that area. Seems like it takes a hell of a long time to figure out whether or not it's a dud though.

Lastly, Wellbutrin sounds like it could be a wonder drug - as well as effectiveness in ADD it can also knock out depression *and* help me stop smoking (not that I need it - I'm now one whole smug month without a cigarette!). But then of the potential side effects, agitation, anxiety and insomnia figure highly, and manic switching isn't unheard of.

I suppose I'm leaning towards Strattera, but I just keep changing my mind ...

Thank you
"Believe that life is worth living, and your belief will help create the fact."

~ William James (1897)

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 creepy

creepy

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD
  • Current Meds:200mg sertraline 300mg lamotrigine

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:20 PM

problem is that many medications for ADD can make you cycle. Wellbutrin might. Strattera might. Depends how well you get along with norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors.
I think the trap a lot of bipolars misdiagnosed as ADHD types fall into is that theyre somewhat hypomanic and they cant concentrate with all the racing thoughts. amphetamines have that paradoxical calming effect when youre hyper like that.
I know when Ive felt zoomy on antidepressants and I take adderall to function at work I can get sleepy but Im really focused.
I think thats the effect youre looking for if youre ADHD. IF you were really energized on a stim, something might be wrong there for an ADHD dx. Maybe you werent on enough of it?
Wish I could help more but Im just ADD not hyperactive type. Its quite a bit different in how these meds hit you.
You might want to try to pin down exactly what symptoms you want to control. Racing thoughts, restlessness, etc. Difficulty concentrating can be caused by a lot of things!
Its really good that you have that zyprexa on hand. especially when experimenting with these meds. So at least if you have a bad reaction you can take a chill pill and function for the rest of the day.
Zombiez ate my brain
and spat it back out, blecch...

#3 TemperaMental

TemperaMental

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Current Meds:Lithium 650mg; Lamotrigine 100mg; Quetiapine 50mg; Sertraline 100mg; Zopiclone PRN; Propranolol PRN

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:54 PM

Yes I suppose I should have made my symptoms clearer :mad:

Firstly, I don't know whether or not there's an 'H' in my ADD - I just write it that way because it seemed the more common variant. Looking at the DSM-IV criteria, most of my symptoms come from the inattention section, with some hyperactivity, but not so much impulsivity.

My main difficulties are with organisation, procrastination, planning, inability to concentrate when somebody is talking, ceaseless fantasizing and daydreaming, mental and motor restlessness, distractibility by *any* extraneous stimulus or internal notion, and complete inability to stay on task or get stuff finished no matter how pressing the motivation.

A lot of these things kind of do overlap with bipolar, but my bipolar is as well-treated as I could hope for right now. I've had just one or two short sharp shocks of mood-swinging in the last year, and those episodes are easy to recognise (at least in retrospect) and well defined - the stuff I'm talking about here is the stuff I have to deal with every day, and have been doing for most of the last 30 years. Whether it's ADD as a separate entity or an underlying manifestation of my bipolar brain doesn't really matter to me.

When I was taking the adderall, there was something subtly but very pleasantly different about the way my brain worked. As a very small example, I stood in the chaotic cess-pit of my bedroom, saw some papers lying on the floor, and then picked them up and put them away. Before, I would have just gazed at them for a few seconds, maybe vaguely entertained the notion that I would be happier if they were somewhere else, and then gone and done something completely different. For the first time in my life, I was capable of just doing whatever it was that I was doing without constantly being on the lookout for the next thing to start.

Weirdly, I guess, the adderall didn't subjectively energise me at all - I felt pretty peaceful and placid and yes, my mind was a lot quieter than normal. I even fell asleep the first night without too much struggle. The problem was that I woke up again 90 minutes later feeling like I'd slept through a full night, and the following night I didn't sleep at all and ended up hysterical and panicking and pretty badly deranged.

Anyway, it seems to me that my attention symptoms have got to be treated independently of the bipolar - no tweak of my current meds is going to make much of a difference here, and I've exhausted myself throughout my life trying to sort them out with behavioural techniques, and not understanding why I fail every single time. The AD(H)D diagnosis and the positive reaction I initially had to Adderall have given me hope that maybe a pharmacological therapy can help me

But you're so right - I am going to have a big stash of Zyprexa at the ready whatever I try next.

~ William James (1897)

#4 In_Remission_mrsmonk

In_Remission_mrsmonk
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:35 PM

i'm new here but just wanted to tell you that I took strattera for about a year and a half and I liked it. I have a pisspoor memory so I can't tell you what it really did for my ADD, but I know that I am very med sensitive and for me to stay on something a year and a half is a miracle. It improved my sex life, made my moods pretty balanced, also sort of had what I called my "full button" where I would stop eating because I felt stuffed, so I lost some weight on it too, but while I dont recall it being stellar for my add symptoms, it did help. I took Welbutrin for about 2 weeks and had an actual MELTDOWN, something I'd never had before in my life, just completely fell apart like, so that was the end of Welbutrin. Now I've just started Adderall. I slept okay last night, the first night, hope I can sleep again tonight! Sorry I don't know much about bipolar so I cannot relate to you in that sense, but I figured I'd share my experience with these meds, tho of course they are all different for everyone.

#5 TemperaMental

TemperaMental

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:46 PM

Thanks for your reply mrsmonk. It's good to hear that your experience with Strattera was largely positive. Can I ask why you stopped it? Was it simply because it wasn't helping enough with your symptoms? I think my symptoms are not that severe compared to a lot of people, since I've always managed to just about get by, even if it is in the most haphazard and disorganised fashion possible. My mood problems have at times completely wrecked my life, but my attention problems merely make it extremely bloody frustrating. So maybe I don't need the strongest agent, but rather the gentlest effective one.

As for what you went through with the Wellbutrin, it sounds awful. I was already a little nervous about trying it, and I'll be thinking even more carefully now. Thanks for sharing.

Anyway, good luck with the Adderall - I think if I'd have only been able to sleep on it, it could have worked out great!

~ William James (1897)

#6 mj1127

mj1127

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, ADHD, migraine
  • Current Meds:Lithium CR, Abilify, Latuda, Adderall, Wellbutrin

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:12 AM

Is your pdoc determined that you not try any of the other stims, or are you? Remember that they are different, and might not affect you the same. Of all the ones I've taken, Dexedrine felt the most gentle and might, perhaps, give you less of a problem. For example, can you drink coffee? Caffeine, obviously, is a stimulant, but I can drink coffee before bed without a problem. I cannot take Adderall and sleep within several hours. However I can take Vyvanse (a form of Dexedrine) in the morning and take a nap during the day. Think about it at least.

I took Wellbutrin for years before my current dx (previously MDD, now BPAD NOS), and while I tolerated it well, it did little or nothing for my ADD.

MJ

Bipolar NOS, ADHD, migraine

300mg Lithium CR, 7.5mg Abilify, 40mg Latuda, 20mg Adderall BID, 150mg Wellbutrin XL

#7 jook

jook

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • Diagnoses:BPI & PD
  • Current Meds:Saphris, Klonopin, Provigil, Lunesta

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:21 AM

Of the choices I've been given, Provigil seems like a non-starter to me, seeing as how it was initially designed to keep people with narcolepsy awake. Awake is not my problem.

I've been taking Provigil for a few years now and it helps me to focus well.
I'm also BPI and it hasn't driven me into any mood cycling during that time.
I can also sleep on it so don't get the wrong idea about this drug.
It helps promote circadian cycle. It's not a pep pill whatsoever.

I'm not dx'd ADHD so I can't tell you if it works well for it or not.
I do have problems with attention and focus that comes from my brain cooties and it helps.

I would give it a try first before Wellbutrin or Strattera.

jook
my brain hates agonists and reuptake-inhibitors

former rx= Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Zoloft, Topamax, Lamictal, Depakote, Lithobid, Trileptal, Gabitril,
Zonegran, Seroquel, Risperdal, Invega, Zyprexa, Abilify, Geodon, Ativan, Xanax, Valium, BuSpar, Nuvigil
various combinations with all of the above

#8 Anna

Anna

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, most recent episode Mixed
  • Current Meds:Seroquel, Risperdal, Depakote, Provigil, Neurontin.

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:25 AM

I also have the co-morbid ADHD/bipolar thing going on. Provigil helps A LOT, I like it better than adderral, actually. It doesn't keep me up.

The problem is with any stim, you're going to have to get past the first few weeks to see if it works or not. And what the side effects are genuinely going to be.

It may be worth it to stick to a stim and add something for sleep at first, if your ADHD is severe enough, I don't know.

My son has ADHD, he has taken both stims and strattera. My experience with him was, he had no trouble sleeping on it, but it wasn't very effective. We went back to concerta.

Some people love it though. Strattera, I mean. Maybe worth a shot.

Congrats on the smoking thing!

Anna
Anna

Diagnosed Bipolar Type I, most recently Mixed.

Current Meds: Seroquel, Risperdal, Neurontin, Provigil.

#9 In_Remission_mrsmonk

In_Remission_mrsmonk
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:39 AM

I think I stopped it because it wasn't working as well any more. I had gone from 40mg up to 60 and then to 80. I was on 40 for a long time and that was the best dose for me. Another thing I'm thinking now is that a lot of my mood problems were directly related to my ADD. For example, my brain was SO garbled, it was so hard for me to even concentrate on someone talking to me, and background noise, smells, tastes, everything was overwhelming all the time, which caused me to have mood issues! For the longest time I thought I had mood problems, or depression, but now I think it was all the ADD. Right now on adderall, I'm and not noticing any mood swings or irritablilty, which I had a lot before I was diagnosed. Also I feel calmer, and I'm not WORRYING all the time. I dont know what dose you started on with adderall, but I was started at 20mg. I just cut that in half because it was exhausting me. But my doc said that dosing changes can make a world of difference with stimulants. So while one dose might have horrible effects, another one might be just right. That said, you will just have to try different things to see what works for you. We are all different and have different reactions to meds. Usually I have horrible reactions to all of them, other than Strattera and so far the Adderall. I have no side effects from it yet other than the tiredness and loss of appetite. Good luck!!

Thanks for your reply mrsmonk. It's good to hear that your experience with Strattera was largely positive. Can I ask why you stopped it? Was it simply because it wasn't helping enough with your symptoms? I think my symptoms are not that severe compared to a lot of people, since I've always managed to just about get by, even if it is in the most haphazard and disorganised fashion possible. My mood problems have at times completely wrecked my life, but my attention problems merely make it extremely bloody frustrating. So maybe I don't need the strongest agent, but rather the gentlest effective one.

As for what you went through with the Wellbutrin, it sounds awful. I was already a little nervous about trying it, and I'll be thinking even more carefully now. Thanks for sharing.

Anyway, good luck with the Adderall - I think if I'd have only been able to sleep on it, it could have worked out great!

#10 TemperaMental

TemperaMental

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:58 PM

Hi everybody - thanks for all the replies here. I rather unsurprisingly crashed and burned after my little amphetamine adventure and have only just crawled out of my tear-soaked bed. Brutal, but mercifully short. Now I'm just queen grouchy. Back at work surrounded by a whole huge pile of what-the-fuck-am-I-supposed-to-do-with-this.

So yeah - I'm seeing the doc tomorrow, and I'm still no wiser.

Part of me secretly desperately wants to retry the Adderall, because IT REALLY FUCKING HELPED. Maybe if I started at the teensiest tiniest doses and worked my way up (I was doing 10mg in the AM) ... but it doesn't matter, I'm pretty sure I've blown it with that one. She isn't doing to let me near that stuff again. Why couldn't I keep a lid on myself? If I'd have been able to wait it out it might have got better but instead I just flipped and ran to the doctor with some bizarre theory that made me sound like a complete raving lunatic. Shit.

I SAW the light at the end of the tunnel and then I got overexcited and jumped up and down and made the whole fucking tunnel cave in. Now I've got to find another tunnel that leads to the same light but is a little bit more sturdy.
/unnecessary weird metaphor

Pretty sure that Ritalin or Dexamfetamine or any other stim is off the table too, no matter how different their effects and side-effects might be. She certainly didn't mention them in our phone conversation.

For example, can you drink coffee? Caffeine, obviously, is a stimulant, but I can drink coffee before bed without a problem. I cannot take Adderall and sleep within several hours.

I can't drink caffeine after noon if I want to get a good night's sleep (though I've forgotten what one of those looks like anyway). But I don't feel it perks me up if I drink it in the morning - I can take it or leave it. My sleep is a specific area of mess, always has been.

It just seems like yet another game of suck-it-and-see. No votes for Wellbutrin here so far, I notice. Provigil seems popular, although I'm still thinking that I do not want to be any more awake (wait - I just spent the last 4 days in bed ... ). My gut instinct is that if Strattera works, it might go down the easiest.

Maybe I'll just ask the doctor. See what she thinks ...

Cheers :mad:

~ William James (1897)

#11 mj1127

mj1127

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, ADHD, migraine
  • Current Meds:Lithium CR, Abilify, Latuda, Adderall, Wellbutrin

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:25 PM

It may be that she didn't mention other stims because she thought you were freaked out enough so as not to entertain the notion of trying the others. Either way, I agree you should ask her what she thinks; hopefully she has some experience with this stuff. Good luck.

MJ

Bipolar NOS, ADHD, migraine

300mg Lithium CR, 7.5mg Abilify, 40mg Latuda, 20mg Adderall BID, 150mg Wellbutrin XL

#12 TemperaMental

TemperaMental

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:42 AM

Well, turns out my doc is bunking off early today 'cause of some kind of "blizzard" that's apparently kicking off here later today, and so my appointment is cancelled. Fair enough, I guess, but the next time that it can be rescheduled for is 2 weeks away, which just sucks.

my brain was SO garbled, it was so hard for me to even concentrate on someone talking to me, and background noise, smells, tastes, everything was overwhelming all the time!

Ahh ... I relate to this so much! Guess I'll get back to blocking out the noise with whatever music doesn't irritate the crap out of me today, and making those lists that I forget to read.

~ William James (1897)

#13 balletomane

balletomane

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Diagnoses:Seasonal Affective Disorder
  • Current Meds:SamE

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:08 AM

Probably not a bad thing your appointment was canceled by the latest Nor'easter (didn't I warn you about these?). Print out this thread to take to the next appointment. In the interim, allow for a full washout. Yes, stims wash out pretty quickly, but you were really thrown for a loop with this. Wellbutrin is clearly absent in the responses to your post. I think most here would be fearful of the initial blast of energy it can cause in lots of people, and would cause a major avalanche in your noggin. Strattera doesn't take as long to ramp up as an antidepressant, but it does take a week or so of waiting for something to happen. See the main site and various threads here about NOT pushing the dosage right away. That's the other slow aspect of this med.

#14 Tziy

Tziy

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression and anxiety; ADHD-PI and Asperger's syndrome
  • Current Meds:Amitriptyline 100mg; Vyvanse 60mg; [Synthroid 100mcg]

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:24 PM

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask this, but I read something here that said it's preferred that posters use an old thread rather than start a new one, and my question is related, I think, so that's what I'm doing. Sorry if any of this comes off as incoherent; my ADHD is out of control enough lately that sometimes I just can't be anywhere near as eloquent or lucid as I usually am...hence this post. (It's my first here, and I was going to introduce myself in the proper forum first at one point, but I think if I tried to do that now I'd never get around to making this post.)

I have ADHD-PI comorbid with depression and anxiety. When I was a kid, Ritalin and later Adderall worked well enough, but such stimulants and their variants (Focalin, Concerta, probably others I'm having trouble remembering right now) have been increasingly ineffective for me in recent years. I've mostly accepted this and just tried new antidepressants hoping that getting my depression properly treated would increase my ability to concentrate. But right now my attention span and everything else related to my ADHD--my ability to follow through with tasks, to actually sit down and do something that I want to do, to pull myself away from distractions and move on to more productive things, to organize tasks so I can complete them--is absolutely terrible. Some of this, I think, is a side effect of starting gabapentin for anxiety recently, so I'm going to try to go off that. But the ADHD issues were worsening even before I began the gabapentin; the rapidity of their deterioration afterwards says to me it's not helping the situation, but it can't be the only culprit.

Right now I take 60mg of generic Adderall (amphetamine salt) a day for the ADHD. It's possible that switching to an XR formulation might help, and if so I think I could absorb the added cost of the brand name pill. But my history as an adult makes me suspect it won't really do enough. Also, stimulants for ADHD may well be aggravating my anxiety. So I want to try something else.

I've taken Wellbutrin and Strattera in the past--for a few months or more each, I think, though I can't remember the details very well (it was definitely at least a couple months, though). Their effects seemed to be negligible, and not easily teased out from my antidepressants at the time. It might be worth trying either one again, I guess; I'm only 26 and maybe my brain chemistry's changed enough in the past several years that they might have a different effect now. Given that Provigil/modafinil is one drug I've never tried, though, and it's not strongly associated with dangerous side effects (nor do I have much in the way of contraindications for it, except maybe some sleep issues I'll mention below), I don't think it's unreasonable that I want to try that.

When I brought it up to my pdoc in the past, though, he dismissed it immediately on the grounds that I had no disorders of wakefulness--no narcolepsy or sleep apnea--so he couldn't give it to me. But the information I've gathered since seems to indicate that it would be perfectly legal for him to prescribe it to me off-label. Of course, legal doesn't mean advisable, and if he wants to lay out reasons it would be a bad idea for me beyond "you don't have narcolepsy so I can't" I'll listen. He's the doctor, after all. Unfortunately, he's got a bad habit of being very unclear about the reasons he's prescribing or refusing to prescribe any given drug for me; his communication on the matter leaves a lot to be desired. Obviously this is an issue that goes beyond a conflict over one drug. I've stuck with him over the years because unlike some of the pdocs I had before, he's never tried to push me onto a drug I'm not comfortable with (my last pdoc when I was a teenager decided I was bipolar after one appointment and needed to take Zyprexa as a mood stabilizer even though I was really uncomfortable with the idea and had long since grown out of the childhood temper tantrums she cited as the reason; it affected me really badly and I've been super wary of such things since then). But that's kind of a low standard for me to have and at some point it might be worth considering switching again. For now, though, this is where I'm focusing because the ADHD symptoms are just so ridiculous, I doubt I'd be able to follow through with getting a new pdoc without help from my parents and they're busy lately.

Like I said, I do have some sleep issues--my circadian rhythm is really erratic. Now and then in the past I have sometimes had mild insomnia, but generally only in the form of having trouble getting myself to calm down and stop rolling around and overthinking things. I had a very brief, just a few weeks or couple months, period when I was 17 and severely anxious where I had more severe insomniac issues involving waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to get back to sleep, but never since then. The vast majority of the time, I struggle to calm down and focus enough to tear myself away from whatever I'm doing in the middle of the night and get my ass into bed, and then I get a full eight to ten hours of sleep and wake up in the middle of the afternoon. That's what sends my sleep schedule in absurd directions. I'm not sure how non-stimulant medications would interact with this, even if they're "wakefulness agents" like Provigil.

Does anyone have advice for handling this situation? Should I try to form a reasoned argument for why Provigil might be worth trying, or write it off as a loss, assume he knows best and is taking all my anxiety issues and sleep schedule problems into account, and go for something else? Should I try an XR for Adderall before anything else? Give the Strattera another shot now that I'm all grown up and might have a new set of synapses for it to contend with? Buckle down and wait until my parents have enough free time to help me get to a new pdoc? Are there other non-stimulant possibilities for someone in my situation that I've missed and might want to bring up to him? Anything else it might help me to take into consideration?

My next appointment's on Wednesday the 20th, by which point hopefully the gabapentin will be enough out of my system that I can evaluate which difficulties were its doing and which indicate the underlying problems with the generic Adderall. As far as cost goes...while it would sure be nice to find a cheap generic covered by my insurance that knocks out my symptoms, I do have the resources right now to take something more expensive if that's what turns out to work. So ultimately it's not a significant factor at the moment.
Diagnoses, mental illness: depression, anxiety
Diagnoses, mental disability/disorder: ADHD-PI (aka ADD without hyperactivity), Asperger's syndrome (mild)
Diagnosis, physical illness with mental symptoms: Hypothyroidism (mild)

Current medications: Amitriptyline (75mg), Synthroid (100mcg), Vyvanse (60mg)
Past medications: Wellbutrin, Pristiq, Effexor, Cymbalta, Lexapro, Prozac (and also generic fluoxetine), Zoloft, Cylert, diazepam, Zyprexa, Ritalin (and also generic methylphenidate), Focalin, Concerta, Strattera, trazodone, clonidine, Abilify, Viibryd, Ambien, Adderall (and also generic amphetamine salts, both regular and extended-release), gabapentin, buspirone

#15 jangev

jangev

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Diagnoses:Schizoaffective Disorder/Avoidant Personality (as of Dec 13')
  • Current Meds:Prozac 20mg, Latuda 120 mg, Inderal 20 mg bid, Xanax XR 1.5 mg ( updated April 1, 2014)

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:07 PM

for being considered as having ADD ya'll sure communicate pretty well and write lengthy posts

past rx: effexor xr, every AAP (including all the new ones: fanapt, abilify, saphris, latuda, invega..) except for Clozaril, Geodon and Zyprexa, cymbalta (for two days), ambien, Inderal, concerta (subsequent psychotic ep), buspar, xanax, klonopin, trazodone, neurontin

also had unilateral and bilateral ECT series in '11

inaddition to rx: Vitamin B-complex 50, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Vitamin B12, Co-Q10, DHA (fish oil)

#16 Tziy

Tziy

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression and anxiety; ADHD-PI and Asperger's syndrome
  • Current Meds:Amitriptyline 100mg; Vyvanse 60mg; [Synthroid 100mcg]

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:15 PM

for being considered as having ADD ya'll sure communicate pretty well and write lengthy posts

Sorry for babbling like that. I guess you have a point, and I may not have ADD after all. It's something I should think about.
Diagnoses, mental illness: depression, anxiety
Diagnoses, mental disability/disorder: ADHD-PI (aka ADD without hyperactivity), Asperger's syndrome (mild)
Diagnosis, physical illness with mental symptoms: Hypothyroidism (mild)

Current medications: Amitriptyline (75mg), Synthroid (100mcg), Vyvanse (60mg)
Past medications: Wellbutrin, Pristiq, Effexor, Cymbalta, Lexapro, Prozac (and also generic fluoxetine), Zoloft, Cylert, diazepam, Zyprexa, Ritalin (and also generic methylphenidate), Focalin, Concerta, Strattera, trazodone, clonidine, Abilify, Viibryd, Ambien, Adderall (and also generic amphetamine salts, both regular and extended-release), gabapentin, buspirone

#17 jangev

jangev

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Diagnoses:Schizoaffective Disorder/Avoidant Personality (as of Dec 13')
  • Current Meds:Prozac 20mg, Latuda 120 mg, Inderal 20 mg bid, Xanax XR 1.5 mg ( updated April 1, 2014)

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:46 AM

ouch, sarcasm

past rx: effexor xr, every AAP (including all the new ones: fanapt, abilify, saphris, latuda, invega..) except for Clozaril, Geodon and Zyprexa, cymbalta (for two days), ambien, Inderal, concerta (subsequent psychotic ep), buspar, xanax, klonopin, trazodone, neurontin

also had unilateral and bilateral ECT series in '11

inaddition to rx: Vitamin B-complex 50, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Vitamin B12, Co-Q10, DHA (fish oil)

#18 addgal

addgal

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Diagnoses:ADHD-Inattentive, Major Depressive Disorder
  • Current Meds:Zoloft 25. I should be on Ritalin too but I always forget it.

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

hey tziy, sounds like by now you already saw your pdoc, but here's some advice: write down exactly what you want your doc to explain to you. for example: 1) what are the medical reasons for not trying provigil? 2) and if not provigil, then what other drug will you prescribe, because my add is not being controlled right now?

then put that note in your wallet/purse now, so you don't forget it. if your doc has email availability, you can also email the questions ahead of your visit in case you forget to consult the note during the appt. do not leave the appointment until you are sure you understand the doc's answers. good luck.

#19 magulagie

magulagie

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, ADHD, GAD etc, I stopped paying attention
  • Current Meds:(Des)venlafaxine [depends what country i'm in], bupropion, trazodone, methylphenidate

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:07 PM

Wellbutrin was the first crazy med I took, and tbh I saw no difference in my ADHD levels. Actually, I never noticed what it was doing until I stopped it, which led to me starting it again a week later.
Obviously, people wouldn't say this is good unless it worked for some people, so maybe just dont get your hopes up. my pdoc was shocked when i mentioned that my concentration was still shit after being on wb for 4 months.

#20 crazywater

crazywater

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Diagnoses:Dysthymic disorder, Other obsessive-compulsive disorders , ADD, Depression, Diabetes, Apnea
  • Current Meds:Bupropion, Methylphenidate

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:59 AM

I like bupropion like Wellbutrin more than methylphenidate like Concerta.
It keeps me focus, alert, with energy but not in altered status like Concerta.
I have depression , and the energy it´s good but still i have a sadness feeling.

Anyway Wellbutrin it´s fine. The question it´s ... how can I have a lower dose than 150 mg?.
It´s too much for my diabetes. The glucose levels are very high even without food, but i cannt live without bupropion.
Thanks a lot.

#21 martasi2

martasi2

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:04 AM

Anyway Wellbutrin it´s fine. The question it´s ... how can I have a lower dose than 150 mg?.

Try instant release Wellbutrin/bupropion in 75 mg. tablets. The tablets can be cut if necessary to allow for smaller doses throughout the day. Your doctor can write you a prescription.

#22 crazywater

crazywater

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Diagnoses:Dysthymic disorder, Other obsessive-compulsive disorders , ADD, Depression, Diabetes, Apnea

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

I live in Europe when only I can buy Elontril as the only comercial of bupropion .
Can I buy in a sure webpage? Elontril cannt be cutted.

Any incident mixing with Escitalopram? I plan to take it together.

#23 martasi2

martasi2

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

Yes, you're right - Wellbutrin/Bupropion isn't available in all European countries; in some countries it's available only by prescription for patients who use it to help them stop smoking.

You may be able to find prescription bupropion from an online pharmacy; we just can't discuss specific pharmacies or mention names here. We do discuss the pros and cons of ordering medications online and from outside your particular country, just not specific names.

Here's a link to a discussion about taking both Wellbutrin/bupropion and escitalopram:

Lexapro With a Wellbutrin Chaser?

#24 crazywater

crazywater

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:08 AM

OK I m starting escitalopram today.
My collateral effects with 150 mg of wellbutrin are disappeared (very very nervous)

Unfortunatly I´m diabetic since 20 years ago, if you can give me some advice about mental drugs in general.

Thank you very much for all the information . Great forum here :smiley:

#25 martasi2

martasi2

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

Unfortunatly I´m diabetic since 20 years ago, if you can give me some advice about mental drugs in general.

Are you asking about possible interaction between a psychiatric drug and your diabetes medication?

#26 crazywater

crazywater

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

I´m diabetic 1 . Dose of Insuline it´s very variable , it´s depend of anxiety caused for mental drugs.
But I dont know if there more question i should know. Thanks.

#27 Altesse51

Altesse51

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Diagnoses:Major Deppresive Disorder, ADD, OCD
  • Current Meds:Citalopram. Bupropion

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

I just started Wellbutrin and it is working very well.

#28 promicarus

promicarus

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, Agoraphobia, PTSD, ADD,
  • Current Meds:Zoloft 150mg,rcntly discont.xanax4mg,Depakote600mg,60mg Ritalin

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:27 PM

The length of posts, and commincation actually have nothing to do with ADD. Common misperception. A good book to read for more info is "You mean I'm not crazy, lazy, or stupid".

Ironically, most find that people with ADD can communicate better than average (when they have the nonattentive type rather than the hyperactice type, particularly)...And length of posts suggests that the writer has "locked on", another ADD phenomenon.

Check it out.

"only in fairy tales is the one-eyed man made king in the land of the blind. In  the real world he is burned as a witch"-me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog