Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious

Is Adderall Xr Supposed To Make Me Tired?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_mrsmonk

In_Remission_mrsmonk
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:17 PM

I'm only on the 2nd day, tho. But yesterday I felt really clear headed and able to focus for the first time I can remember, and now today I am just exhausted, tired, like dragging. Does this mean anything?? I will probably just keep taking it at least another week or two and see what happens, but I'm just curious, everyone acts like this drug is some big deal stimulant and I feel totally TIRED. By the way I have adult ADD and that is why I am taking it. Thanks! Oh one more thing I am on 20mg starting dose and I have only taken yesterday and today. I am sure not any more motivated!! I been sittin her most of the day getting NOTHING done.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 creepy

creepy

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD
  • Current Meds:200mg sertraline 300mg lamotrigine

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:23 PM

Could mean your dose is too high. If youre ADHD yes a stim can paradoxically make you feel sleepy. If youre simply ADD, they may just make you over-energized.
Also I think that if youre on a reuptake inhibitor, like wellbutrin, or strattera that you can actually over-do things and find up feeling really burned out on both meds. Not sure of the mechanism I just remember adderall + wellbutrin kicked my ass. Like my body was made of lead and doing anythign was difficult.
Zombiez ate my brain
and spat it back out, blecch...

#3 In_Remission_mrsmonk

In_Remission_mrsmonk
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:25 PM

Well, I'm not ADHD for sure. Might have been hyper when I was a kid but I'm sure not now. Also I'm not on any other crazymeds. Maybe I do need to lower my dose. Guess I'll give it a week or two and see. My hands and feet are also freezing, is this normal?

Could mean your dose is too high. If youre ADHD yes a stim can paradoxically make you feel sleepy. If youre simply ADD, they may just make you over-energized.
Also I think that if youre on a reuptake inhibitor, like wellbutrin, or strattera that you can actually over-do things and find up feeling really burned out on both meds. Not sure of the mechanism I just remember adderall + wellbutrin kicked my ass. Like my body was made of lead and doing anythign was difficult.

#4 Anna

Anna

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, most recent episode Mixed
  • Current Meds:Seroquel, Risperdal, Depakote, Provigil, Neurontin.

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:36 AM

Yeah, a stim making you sleepy is not an unusual response, if you have ADD. Normals tend to get wired, the ADD crowd, maybe not as much.

I'd give it awhile.... What is your dose? I'm not sure about the freezing hands, although stims can raise blood pressure, maybe there's something going on there? In any case, mention it to your doc, probably, if it continues.

Anna
Anna

Diagnosed Bipolar Type I, most recently Mixed.

Current Meds: Seroquel, Risperdal, Neurontin, Provigil.

#5 In_Remission_mrsmonk

In_Remission_mrsmonk
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2010 - 03:29 PM

Okay this is day 4, and I'm flat out lethargic. I'm on 20mg of the XR so it's a capsule. I cannot divide that up right? My dr said maybe my dose is too high and to give a little more time and then we could try a lower dose, does that sound right? I am not noticing the concentration aspect as much as the first day any more either. I'm just too tired to care, I just want to go take a nap. I do feel a lot more calm and not so much worry now. But I can't go thru life being too tired and unmotivated to get anything done!

#6 mj1127

mj1127

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, ADHD, migraine
  • Current Meds:Lithium CR, Abilify, Latuda, Adderall, Wellbutrin

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:46 PM

When my son was on Adderall XR, we needed to drop the dose and would dump half the little beads out into apple sauce for him, then use the other half for the next day, so it can be done. Not an exact science, though. However, it might be worth a try if you want to see what a lower dose would do.

Edited by mj1127, 07 February 2010 - 07:48 PM.

MJ

Bipolar NOS, ADHD, migraine

300mg Lithium CR, 7.5mg Abilify, 40mg Latuda, 20mg Adderall BID, 150mg Wellbutrin XL

#7 In_Remission_mrsmonk

In_Remission_mrsmonk
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:30 AM

good idea. I'm trying that today. I took half a dose those morning and I"m going to take the other half about 1 or 2, because it seems to wear off then anyway. Hopefully this will make a difference.

#8 EFXR

EFXR

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Current Meds:Strattera

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:29 AM

Broadly speaking, problems with sleeping can be classified in 2 categories.
  • problems falling asleep.
  • problems staying asleep throughout the night.
Different disorders can cause different sleeping problems.
The first is simple and can be caused by ongoing thoughts, worries, excitements or untimely hormonal releases (melatonin). The second is more complex, because the process of sleep is complex as the brain goes through different phases during the night.

That's why we have so many different benzo's (short- and long acting).

In theory, people with ADD and ADHD have problems keeping their chaotic thoughts in control, as far as that's possible. This is troublesome in bed because an overstimulation in thoughts is preventing them from falling asleep.
So again in theory, if a patient is given a drug (e.g. stimulants) that controls the uncontrolled thought process, on the right dosage, that patient should fall asleep more easily.

And as it turns out, some people have reported this effect. These people are on the right dosage, able to concentrate enough to fall asleep, yet not overstimulated to feel energized.

But that's not to say that stimulants improve sleep, in the sense that 'I can't sleep, i'll just pop an amfetamine.' You have to distinguish the causes of the insomnia. Whether your a fast metabolizer or not, the concentration of the last dosage and even what you ate for dinner can all have effect of the drug and it's relation to your sleep.

Edited by EFXR, 07 July 2010 - 05:30 AM.

Studying psychology, i know more about this shit then you wannabes.

I hate whatever today is...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog