Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious

Wellbutrin Horror Story

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_The Noble Savage

In_Remission_The Noble Savage
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:06 PM

I just wanted to share this with you all. This happened in October of 2008, My insurance put me on the generic version of Wellbutrin, eventhough I was on the name brand for many years. No big deal, I thought at the time, it will save me money. Well after 5 days taking the generic, my wife had to call 911 since I started to sleepwalk and then I collapsed. I went into a full blown seizure, the paramedics and fire rescue was there in less then 5 minutes but I was going into what is called a status epilepticus. The seizure lasted a full hour, even as they were taking me by ambulance to the trauma unit. I was sucking oxygen and thrashing about like crazy. I have no memory of this what so ever and the paramedics said I went through 3 oxygen tanks.

By the time I got to the emergency room, they had to try to hold me down since I was going completely nuts. They gave me several amps of versed to calm me dawn and to stop the seizure. My wife counted 6 ampules of versed and other meds to calm down the seizure. My wife was there the whole time and she was scared crapless. After about almost a full hour of the seizure, nonstop, I started to calm down. They decided to intubate me so they could give me an eeg and a CT scan. Once that was done, they moved me to the CCU and then they decided to take me off the tube. Once they did that, I went into a Psychotic episode and I attacked the nurses and doctors. It took them 9 people to hold me down. So they thought I was on PCP, so after they dosed me up with thorazine, they did a blood Tox screen to see what I took. They decided to intubate me again and put me into a come for 4 days. When I woke up, I was strapped to the bed in the CCU and eventually they took me off the respirator. It was the most scary thing I ever went through.

In case I didnt mention, I was a law enforcement officer for 10 years and I suffer from Major Depression and a bad case of PTSD. This seemed to make things all the more worse. I was eventually released from the hospital on day 7. After talking with several neurologists and neurosurgeons, they concluded it was the Wellbutrin that did it to me and they also think that it was the generic version since this all happened when I started to take the generic version. My memory previous to the attack is all intact but everything now is very fuzzy and I have a hard time remembering things after the seizure and hospital stay. My speech was effected for about 4 months but it finally resolved it self, thank Jesus. At the time, I was on 150mgs of Wellbutrin (generic by Teva) and 30mgs of Lexapro.

After that incident, I am now seeing a P-Doc for my meds and I am doing better. My PTSD is still cusing me problems along with major anxiety but the doc has me on some good medications that seems to hold things in line.

NS

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 In_Remission_Bat Girl

In_Remission_Bat Girl
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:56 PM

Hi NS,

Welcome to the forum. I'm new here too. I found this site because I too was put on the Teva brand generic. I've been having all kinds of health problems from it, but didn't trace it back to this drug until recently.

I've been off the Teva brand for a few days and am already feeling much better.

#3 Serpens

Serpens

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Diagnoses:GAD w/Panic and Major Depression Symptoms
  • Current Meds:Emsam 6mg/24hr, .25mg Xanax prn

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:44 PM

The Wellbutrin generics are not therapeutic equivalents to the original brand name, or to each other. Someone cannot be stabilized on brand name Wellbutrin and then switched to Teva's Budeprion XL, or to Watson's Bupropion SR24.

Complex pharmacokinetics and controlled release formulation issues. Once someone's stabilized on any particular manufacturer they need to stay with that for these drugs. And unfortunately insurance companies and pharmacists don't understand this very frequently, and doctors pigeonhole it as 'Brand > Generic"

#4 creepy

creepy

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD
  • Current Meds:200mg sertraline 300mg lamotrigine

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:31 AM

Ive tried several generics as well as the brand name in SR and XL. For me the difference was pretty tiny. The brand name was stronger and less anxiety-promoting.
I wonder if what you had was a failure of the timed release mechanism? That would have dumped a lot of the drug into your body at once.
If I re-try this drug I may go for the IR version.
Zombiez ate my brain
and spat it back out, blecch...

#5 Anna

Anna

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, most recent episode Mixed
  • Current Meds:Seroquel, Risperdal, Depakote, Provigil, Neurontin.

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:44 PM

Even if it dumped all at once, I wouldn't think 150 would be enough to cause a seizure, IR, you know? But who knows....

Glad you are OK in any case....

Anna
Anna

Diagnosed Bipolar Type I, most recently Mixed.

Current Meds: Seroquel, Risperdal, Neurontin, Provigil.

#6 In_Remission_Bat Girl

In_Remission_Bat Girl
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:47 PM

Even if it dumped all at once, I wouldn't think 150 would be enough to cause a seizure, IR, you know? But who knows....

Glad you are OK in any case....

Anna

I've wound up in the emergency room taking a very small dose of medication that usually has no ill-effects so it does happen, it's just not common.

It depends on the sensitivity of your body. I'm super-sensitive. Even a small dose of 75 mg of bupropion HCL makes me feel different. My dose of Teva was under 150 and it was enough for me to have all kinds of bad symptoms. A typical dose for me is usually 1/4 of the minimum dose for just about any med that I take.

The important thing is to know your body. For example, I've heard all these horror stories about Ambien, but I've had no ill-effects from the brand-name version. It's been a lifesaver for getting my sleep back on track and it's hard for me to relate to the problems others have had on this drug.

#7 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,485 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 500, CLZ 1.5-2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.25-.5

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:40 PM

I just wanted to share this with you all. This happened in October of 2008, My insurance put me on the generic version of Wellbutrin, eventhough I was on the name brand for many years. No big deal, I thought at the time, it will save me money. Well after 5 days taking the generic, my wife had to call 911 since I started to sleepwalk and then I collapsed. I went into a full blown seizure, the paramedics and fire rescue was there in less then 5 minutes but I was going into what is called a status epilepticus. The seizure lasted a full hour, even as they were taking me by ambulance to the trauma unit. I was sucking oxygen and thrashing about like crazy. I have no memory of this what so ever and the paramedics said I went through 3 oxygen tanks.

By the time I got to the emergency room, they had to try to hold me down since I was going completely nuts. They gave me several amps of versed to calm me dawn and to stop the seizure. My wife counted 6 ampules of versed and other meds to calm down the seizure. My wife was there the whole time and she was scared crapless. After about almost a full hour of the seizure, nonstop, I started to calm down. They decided to intubate me so they could give me an eeg and a CT scan. Once that was done, they moved me to the CCU and then they decided to take me off the tube. Once they did that, I went into a Psychotic episode and I attacked the nurses and doctors. It took them 9 people to hold me down. So they thought I was on PCP, so after they dosed me up with thorazine, they did a blood Tox screen to see what I took. They decided to intubate me again and put me into a come for 4 days. When I woke up, I was strapped to the bed in the CCU and eventually they took me off the respirator. It was the most scary thing I ever went through.

In case I didnt mention, I was a law enforcement officer for 10 years and I suffer from Major Depression and a bad case of PTSD. This seemed to make things all the more worse. I was eventually released from the hospital on day 7. After talking with several neurologists and neurosurgeons, they concluded it was the Wellbutrin that did it to me and they also think that it was the generic version since this all happened when I started to take the generic version. My memory previous to the attack is all intact but everything now is very fuzzy and I have a hard time remembering things after the seizure and hospital stay. My speech was effected for about 4 months but it finally resolved it self, thank Jesus. At the time, I was on 150mgs of Wellbutrin (generic by Teva) and 30mgs of Lexapro.

After that incident, I am now seeing a P-Doc for my meds and I am doing better. My PTSD is still cusing me problems along with major anxiety but the doc has me on some good medications that seems to hold things in line.

NS

Well, NS, it appears you received the perfect storm of having your brain in exactly the right/wrong place, being in the right/wrong circumstances, while being/not being on the right/wrong drug.

Welcome to snowflake land.

Sometimes there is something to blame, and sometimes... it's just the shit sandwich of genetics that decides to wait 30 or so years before biting us in the ass. Could it have been the crappy generic Wellbutrin? Absolutely. Could it have also been the 800 other things in your life leading up to switching to the crappy generic drug which happened to be the proverbial straw on the camel's back? Yep.

If blaming the crappy generic will give you peace, by all means, blame away. But recognize that sometimes, things just fall apart. Here at CM, we try and put them back together.

Dymphna

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog