Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious

Valdoxan A Joke?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_Placebo

In_Remission_Placebo
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2010 - 06:24 PM

Two days ago I started Valdoxan (agomelatin) the new wonder med for depression/anxiety and sleep disorders. It is the first melatonin agonist having serotonin antagonist properties. It is supposed to relieve both anxiety and depression while improving sleep. The first night I took it I couldn't sleep until 3 a.m. and the second night not until 4 a.m. I only fell asleep at 4 because at 3:30 I took a Soma-Benadryl-Clonidine sleep cocktail. Understandably it takes two weeks for the medication to take effect for anxiety/depression but improvements on the sleep-wake mechanism should be relatively immediate. Not only did I not fall asleep, I felt nothing after I took the medication. Nothing. Has anyone had a similar experience with this medication? Meds are legit, sent in unopened Servir company box with tamper proof tape, etc.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• Chief Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, Epilepsy NOS, Autism, Agoraphobia/Social Anxiety
  • Current Meds:LTG 200mg, TPM 250mg, protriptyline 40mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 45mg EPA 600

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:25 PM

It is the first melatonin agonist having serotonin antagonist properties. It is supposed to relieve both anxiety and depression while improving sleep. The first night I took it I couldn't sleep until 3 a.m. and the second night not until 4 a.m. I only fell asleep at 4 because at 3:30 I took a Soma-Benadryl-Clonidine sleep cocktail.

[...]
Has anyone had a similar experience with this medication?

I've not taken Valdoxan or any melatonin agonist, but I have taken melatonin. I'd have a panic attack at 3:00 a.m. and not be able to fall asleep after that.

Tweaking melatonin just doesn't work for some people.
Jerod Poore - Owner, Founder and Chief Citizen Medical Expert of crazymeds.us
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

Wear my Straitjacket     Batshit Crazy Blog

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

#3 In_Remission_Placebo

In_Remission_Placebo
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:01 AM

It is the first melatonin agonist having serotonin antagonist properties. It is supposed to relieve both anxiety and depression while improving sleep. The first night I took it I couldn't sleep until 3 a.m. and the second night not until 4 a.m. I only fell asleep at 4 because at 3:30 I took a Soma-Benadryl-Clonidine sleep cocktail.

[...]
Has anyone had a similar experience with this medication?

I've not taken Valdoxan or any melatonin agonist, but I have taken melatonin. I'd have a panic attack at 3:00 a.m. and not be able to fall asleep after that.

Tweaking melatonin just doesn't work for some people.

Isn't it mind boggling how inconsistent the mind is? I should revise my initial post to indicate that Valdoxan appears to be functioning. After three-four days of initial insomnia, I am been able to fall asleep at relatively regular times without the said of chemical assistance from Soma, Benadryl or Clonidine. This is an improvement. I also sleep more consistently, that is, without waking up every two hours and feeling as though I haven't slept in years. I also do not wake up despising the world, well, as least not as much. Life appears to be less impossible and situation less anxious. This seems to be in line with company claims: a week to two weeks before initial improvement. I hope this is the case since nothing in the past, and I have taken over 35 medication to combat anxiety and depression, has worked. If any needs to know, this medical is available on-line. It is expensive but so are psychiatrists. So I drop the psychiatrist and use that money to buy meds.

#4 Anna

Anna

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, most recent episode Mixed
  • Current Meds:Seroquel, Risperdal, Depakote, Provigil, Neurontin.

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:38 PM

Placebo, I'm glad you are finding something that works for you, but all medications (and MI, generally) need monitoring. You'd be better off finding a pdoc who would be willing to work with you on monitoring meds that can only be imported.

Anna
Anna

Diagnosed Bipolar Type I, most recently Mixed.

Current Meds: Seroquel, Risperdal, Neurontin, Provigil.

#5 In_Remission_AllanGrant

In_Remission_AllanGrant
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:19 AM

Valdoxan actually has a dopaminergic and norepinephrine effect in that it can release them from certain parts of the brain. This means that it is possible it could exacerbate anxiety. the chemical analysis - see Valdoxan's chemical effects.

that said, it's great to hear that it is helpign you out! =) please let us know if things continue to work well!

#6 sg2028

sg2028

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Diagnoses:major depression, severe, recurrent

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:27 AM

have to second jerod here, i've tried melatonin and it exacerbated my insomnia time and time again. just doesn't work for some people.

i also have to second anna about having a psychiatrist monitor your meds. there are often free clinics, or residents' clinics at academic medical centers that are completely legit and qualified, and use serious sliding scales.

#7 nimicitor

nimicitor

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Diagnoses:Schizoaffective Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, OCD
  • Current Meds:N/A

Posted 28 February 2010 - 04:54 PM

Placebo, I has the exactly the same happen to me. It took a good 2 weeks until I managed to sleep properly but after that I had no other effects good or bad.
Just as if I was taking candy instead of medication. After about 9 months I gave up and came off them.

#8 BearFan

BearFan

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Current Meds:Xanax XR and Moclobermide 300mg

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:26 PM

I tried this for a few days and didn't notice much of anything. I believe this one needs to be taken for a long while before I noticed an effect.

#9 illusionofsafety

illusionofsafety

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Diagnoses:GAD/MDD/BPD
  • Current Meds:Clonazepam

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:40 AM

I'm having troubles on valdoxan, and, as usual, i'm not sure what's the drug, what's me, and what's the benzo's. wondering if anyone who's tried it has had similar experiences...? or curious about anyones experiences at all for that matter.

been on it over a year now. good at first, but moods starting to cycle a lot, like when i'm on SSRI's (or SNRI's or any anti-depressant). often waking early, staying awake a lot more than usual (though i do sleep better at night than i used to), finding in general it's very 'activating'. sometimes this is good, sometimes it's too much to bear. tried stopping for a week but in tears and so exhausted i could barely stand it despite sleeping a lot. started it again and energy is back. and concentration. but it still feels a bit too much. plus waking early again. and i'm on a super low dose. not sure what to do. my brain doesn't feel like my brain anymore. also started to dissociate a lot over the past year. never used to. could be the benzo's though. who knows.

anyway, everything i read on google just seems to make it out to be a wonder drug. drug company propaganda. looking for other people's actual experiences??? particularly if you often have odd reactions to meds.

thank you.
Dx: A whole lotta depression, anxiety and mood swings that no one really seems to know what to call or how to fix.

Current Rx: clonazepam 0.25mg at night, thyroxine sodium 25mcg, neurospark (fishoil)

Ex Rx: xanax, neurontin, agomelatine, imovane, zeldox, pristiq, edronax, allegron, seroquel, lamotrigine, aurorix, zyban, avanza, luvox, lexapro, ciprimil, serzone, zoloft, aropax, tempazepam, stilnox

#10 Gewiz

Gewiz

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:46 AM

I saw a pdoc the other day who refused to prescibe me valdoxan on the grounds that it's a 'reserved medication' and that it has possible side effects of liver damage although he didn't actually say possible.

#11 In_Remission_Griffin

In_Remission_Griffin
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:27 PM

I saw a pdoc the other day who refused to prescibe me valdoxan on the grounds that it's a 'reserved medication' and that it has possible side effects of liver damage although he didn't actually say possible.

I've just been perscribed Agomelatine and my p.doc says I have to have a baseline liver function blood test before starting it, then repeat at 6, 12, and 24 weeks. This should show if any liver problems occur.

I have Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder (very severe)and am hoping it might help with that as well as the depression. Nothing else ever has, so it would be a miracle.

#12 illusionofsafety

illusionofsafety

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:57 PM

yeah i just had to have regular LFTs at first, and for me there was no problem with my liver while i was on it. what was written on the consent form (or whatever it was) when i started taking it is that any liver problems it causes are fully reversible if the medication is stopped. whether that is true, or just what the drug company wants you to think i don't know.

now that i'm completely off it i must say i miss how good it was at putting me to sleep. never before in my life had i been able to put my head to the pillow and be asleep within half an hour. so good luck with that aspect, i hope it works for you!

and just as a follow up, in case anyone in the future is reading, i titrated off the agomelatine and all those side effects i described in my last post have gone so i now blame the drug. i also didn't experience what i did when i stopped cold turkey last time, even though all the literature claims there is no discontinuation syndrome, so i'm suss on that claim too. but never fear, i never respond to these drugs the way i'm "supposed" to.
Dx: A whole lotta depression, anxiety and mood swings that no one really seems to know what to call or how to fix.

Current Rx: clonazepam 0.25mg at night, thyroxine sodium 25mcg, neurospark (fishoil)

Ex Rx: xanax, neurontin, agomelatine, imovane, zeldox, pristiq, edronax, allegron, seroquel, lamotrigine, aurorix, zyban, avanza, luvox, lexapro, ciprimil, serzone, zoloft, aropax, tempazepam, stilnox

#13 Dean_in_Oz

Dean_in_Oz

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression, GAD, social phobia
  • Current Meds:Efexor 150mg, Inderal 80mg, Rivotril 3mg, Zyprexa 2.5 prn, Largactil 75mg,

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:58 AM

I'm on day one of ago. I've noticed a pronounced anxiolytic affect, some insomnia and drowsiness although I am sure the insomnia will clear up. Interstingly only minor withdrawals from Efexor @ 225mg daily at this stage.

My vit D level is very low at the moment.

Please guys and gals have a thorough blood test done each 6 months or so. You don't know what you will find.

Good luck with our battles,
Dean

Edited by Dean_in_Oz, 04 December 2010 - 06:55 AM.

Lessons learnt the hard way:
2 years of vit b deficiency making it difficult to walk some days
Parnate and inderal don't get along

#14 In_Remission_BeyondCrazy

In_Remission_BeyondCrazy
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:29 AM

After trying Valdoxan I have to agree with some of the above posts. . . placebo!

Also, the company states “no daytime drowsiness”. . . Not true (for me anyway).
I felt sleepy all day, and that’s it, that’s all it did.

However I would be interested in trying it with Cymbalta.
Anyone here on that combo?

What other meds are you taking with Valdoxan?

Thanks for any input. :mad:

#15 spellbinder

spellbinder

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Diagnoses:Double depression, ADD and Avoidant PD
  • Current Meds:Clonazepam .5mg, Cymbalta 30mg, Adderall 40mg, Wellbutrin XL 150mg and Rozerm 8mg...

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:24 AM

I am been looking forward to this med hitting the market. I've always responded well to Melatonin. It is even a bit of an anti-depressant for me if used for three weeks at a time to reset my sleep pattern. I generally don't respond well to Ambien (does nothing) or Lunesta (takes forever). I don't remember Trazodone.

It doesn't look like it will get FDA approval before 2012 (and might not ever). Some of the studies don't seem to support that it is more effective then Imipramine. At the very least it might be effective in the treatment of season affective disorder and dysthymia. I've heard to has good anti-anxiety benefits as well.

On a side note: what are the qualifications for an anti-depressant making the main list?

Edited by spellbinder, 24 March 2011 - 07:26 AM.

#16 Bipolar Maniac

Bipolar Maniac

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar
  • Current Meds:lithium, lamictal

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:09 PM

I'm giving up on life pretty much but my doctor prescribed me valdoxan (gave me starter pack). Told me it's a revolutionary new thing which fixes your sleep pattern. Was reluctant to take it due to bad experience with other SSRIs (they tend to trigger super-mania). I've been taking it for a couple of days... I still sleep 12+ hours, feel like I've been hit by a bus... the difference is that I now toss and turn all night long and feel even more fucked during the day. Reflux could be due to valdoxan. Sucicidal thoughts... no better, worse actually.

#17 Ophelia

Ophelia

Would-be Neurologist

• Illegal
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II, PTSD
  • Current Meds:Lamotrigine, Seroquel, Bupropion

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:12 PM

I'm giving up on life pretty much but my doctor prescribed me valdoxan (gave me starter pack). Told me it's a revolutionary new thing which fixes your sleep pattern. Was reluctant to take it due to bad experience with other SSRIs (they tend to trigger super-mania). I've been taking it for a couple of days... I still sleep 12+ hours, feel like I've been hit by a bus... the difference is that I now toss and turn all night long and feel even more fucked during the day. Reflux could be due to valdoxan. Sucicidal thoughts... no better, worse actually.

Are the meds on your profile current? What's the dosage?

Have you tried Seroquel? It's approved for bipolar depression, and some of the other AAPs have positive anecdotal reports on this as well.
Ophelia

Current Diagnosis: Bipolar disorder + PTSD
Current cocktail: Lamotrigine 287.5 mg, Seroquel XR 50 mg, Seroqel IR 50mg & PRN as needed, Wellbutrin SR 225 mg, Abilify 0.5 mg, Estradiol 1 mg, Aspirin 81 mg, Tegretol + Wellbutrin + Celexa, Methylin, Provigil, Depakote, Prozac, Pamelor, Dilantin, Tofranil, Elavil, Stelazine, lithium, Haldol, Desyrel, Valium, Nardil, and fish oil (for crying out loud! It threw me into a mixed episode)....
..........and others I can't remember
Supps: Calcium with Vitamin D, Vitamin D, Iron, Multi-Vitamin, Glucosamine with Chondroitin

#18 Bipolar Maniac

Bipolar Maniac

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:31 PM

Huh... right now... I'm still depressed as fuck, can't say suicidal thoughts magically disappeared. But glad I'm alive after yesterday's... drama.
We ditched Valdoxan as it totally screwed my sleep, increased anxiety and didn't do anything with my mood. I'm back on fluoxetine + the standard lithium (1125mg) and lamictal (125mg). Tried Seroquel in the past and it made me... violently suicidal.

#19 Ophelia

Ophelia

Would-be Neurologist

• Illegal
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II, PTSD
  • Current Meds:Lamotrigine, Seroquel, Bupropion

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:11 AM

Huh... right now... I'm still depressed as fuck, can't say suicidal thoughts magically disappeared. But glad I'm alive after yesterday's... drama.
We ditched Valdoxan as it totally screwed my sleep, increased anxiety and didn't do anything with my mood. I'm back on fluoxetine + the standard lithium (1125mg) and lamictal (125mg). Tried Seroquel in the past and it made me... violently suicidal.

You and I seem to have opposite side effects with Prozac and Seroquel.

About Valdoxan - do you think less than 10 days is a fair trial? I'd think it would take at least 6 weeks to be effective for most, and some of the side effects should wear off.

What was yesterday's drama?
Ophelia

Current Diagnosis: Bipolar disorder + PTSD
Current cocktail: Lamotrigine 287.5 mg, Seroquel XR 50 mg, Seroqel IR 50mg & PRN as needed, Wellbutrin SR 225 mg, Abilify 0.5 mg, Estradiol 1 mg, Aspirin 81 mg, Tegretol + Wellbutrin + Celexa, Methylin, Provigil, Depakote, Prozac, Pamelor, Dilantin, Tofranil, Elavil, Stelazine, lithium, Haldol, Desyrel, Valium, Nardil, and fish oil (for crying out loud! It threw me into a mixed episode)....
..........and others I can't remember
Supps: Calcium with Vitamin D, Vitamin D, Iron, Multi-Vitamin, Glucosamine with Chondroitin

#20 illusionofsafety

illusionofsafety

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:34 AM

About Valdoxan - do you think less than 10 days is a fair trial? I'd think it would take at least 6 weeks to be effective for most, and some of the side effects should wear off.

i know, for me, with some meds i definitely know in less than 10 days whether or not they're ok for me, and staying on a bad one just makes matters significantly worse.

usually i know if they're going to be any use to me fairly quickly too. i recently started valdoxan again (have been on it before but had to stop due to side-effects that built up over about 3-6 months) due to a return of an unshakable, deep, dark, suicidal depression and it lifted me out of it the first day. no shit! and that's on half the recommended dose (i knew to start low because of my last experience with it). it messed with my sleep a bit the first week (i.e. sleepless/restless), but 2 and a half weeks later that side effect has gone and the depression still has too. for me, this is a damn miracle!! never found any other meds this successful (they usually break me not help me). don't know how long it'll last, but plan to enjoy it while it does!

bipolar maniac: i hope you find something that works for you. i used to think meds were useless. valdoxan has changed my mind for sure.

Edited by illusionofsafety, 22 April 2011 - 09:36 AM.

#21 Bipolar Maniac

Bipolar Maniac

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:58 PM

What was yesterday's drama?

Okay about valdoxan first... I agree that short trial isn't exactly representative but I was really just making my sleep worse and worse every day which I think worsened my depression. My sleep went from 10 hrs a day to 16 hours a day. Literally I left work early cause I couldn't stay awake at work, went to bed at 4pm and barely woke up next morning at 7am. Felt like I was hit by a train, sleepy all day, my mind even foggier.

Drama... I'll let you know via pm

#22 In_Remission_plasticrose

In_Remission_plasticrose
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:44 AM

I was just wondering,

You know how for some weird reason around half of people with MDD experience a dramatic improvement in symptoms of they are deprived of sleep for a night (but then as soon as they get some sleep the effect wears off)? Is it possible that how a person will respond to a melatonergic agent like agolmelatine could be related to whether their symptoms seem to be related to their sleep-wake cycle?

Hmm.

#23 Bipolar Maniac

Bipolar Maniac

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:13 PM

That's what my doctor said - to give valdoxan a try because it's supposed to regulate your circadian rythm which is obviously out of whack. I suppose valdoxan is supposed to stabilise your sleep at around 8 hours a day and that should be sometime between the hours of 9pm and 7am. I should have probably given it a longer try but things got rather critical. For me, if I'm depressed and can't sleep pure depression will turn into a mixed episode. Then if I get something to help me sleep I'll crash right back into depression. If I'm normal and don't sleep I'll go manic. Maybe to some extent the sleep deprivation has a similar effect on depressed people.

I don't blame valdoxan, my experience could as well be a natural course of depression... my husband though, he says I just took a plunge from the day I started taking it. I was depressed and suicidal before I started taking it, had a plan and all the crap associated with it. After I started taking I don't think it worsened my mood directly, it just made me feel like my life is a little more out of my control and that tipped me over. I slept way too much and was waking up at random hours, the difference between day/night was completely wiped out. I couldn't resist going to sleep at 4pm, waking up at 8pm thinking it's morning, poping my evening valdoxan, sleeping till midnight, being awake for another hour or so, going back to sleep, waking up again etc. and when the morning came it was dark outside and when I got out of bed it felt more like it was evening. On my way to work sun would usually come up and I'd feel like an exposed vampire. If I didn't have my wristwatch I'd have absolutely no idea what time of the day it was. Staying awake at work was a struggle too, it took unhealthy doses of caffeine to keep my eyelids open. I went to the toilet once and I fell asleep right there in the cubicle with my pants down and my head on my knees... 2 hours passed. I also work in the basement so there's no natural light and it felt like I was doing night shifts.

I'm still wondering now if the situation would be any better if I was in a locked ward and they'd be giving me valdoxan for at least 2 weeks while waiting for the intermediate destabilization of sleep to dissipate. I could sleep 24/7 and daydream about slashing my wrists with a plastic knife or sticking my fingers into a powerpoint and magically things would start getting better after 2 weeks.

#24 In_Remission_ikbenleuk

In_Remission_ikbenleuk
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:44 AM

i took valdoxan/agomelatine for a few months.
first weeks sleep was pretty bad, it takes some time before you sleep well on it, but after that sleep was better then ever, i even woke up refreshed wich i never had.
I loved valdoxan.
But have to give it up because after a few weeks my stomach got too upset, its killing for your stomach,real pity because i loved the effects of valdoxan. So much better then an sssri. so now im hoping for the sublingual valdoxan so my stomach wont be hurt so much. i hear its a common problem with valdoxan.

#25 In_Remission_Dutchy

In_Remission_Dutchy
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:49 AM

Tried Valdoxan. May have slept better for a day or so, but after that it did absolutely nothing. Aside from setting me bck a couple of hundred dollars.

#26 inOr

inOr

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II, and ADD
  • Current Meds:Lamictal, lexapro, bupropion, & sleep meds(2)

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:56 PM

I'm sorry to hear that agomelatine has accomplished so little for some of you folks. I never tried it. It's not FDA approved here in the US. When during the day is it taken? I know that the timing of melatonin dosage can influence it's efficacy significantly.

#27 love10

love10

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:dhysthmia, anxiety disorder, mood disorders
  • Current Meds:valdoxan, stablon, lyrica, lexotan

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:53 AM

I Have just started taking valdoxan for 10 days now and the only good effect is i sleep sounder but also means i have more vivid dreams and it could be disturbing thruout the day when i remember bits of my dream. I have a very active imagination and i think alot as I am the creative type as deemed. Anyways, its 25 mg taken before bedtime. I was on lexapro before this and i just couldnt take the yawning and my doc couldnt increase the dosage so i swtiched to valdoxan. I am also on stablon and lyrica for the anxiety and mood stabiliser. Also lexotan for anxiety but it has been decreased as my doc is hoping to wean me off it saying lyrica is enough. But lately i feel more depressed and emotional. And very edgy and moody. I try to control it myself. I have no idea why but maybe i need to hang in der and wait for the valdoxan to work. I feel like crying all the time when something upsets me and it sticks for awhile till i forget about it. Lexapro worked in calming me down i took 5mg a day but couldnt take 10mg, guess i have little tolerance for side effects. I dun understand how melatonin will work in helping me with the depression honestly. I understand lexapro works on serotonin and even stablon i took both at the same time and it worked. till my doc took me off it and swtich to valdoxan. my qn is should i swtich back to lexapro as i feel almost anxious and panicky everyday. help!!

Greenhorn

#28 Mads

Mads

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:Major depression
  • Current Meds:Valdoxan,wellbutrin,topomax

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:34 AM

Lov1 , I feel the same being on valdoxane for 2 months now. Sad, irratible, edgy,out of control. What did you decide to do? Im. Ery confused , dont know what do do anymore. Went of mollipaxin and escitalopram to change to wellbutrin and valdoxane. Dr said to leave the wellbutrin as it can make me agitated and irratible.after a few days my depresion got worse and i felt i was going crazy so i started taking half a tablet to see if it is withdrawel symptoms. I expierence anxiety ay its worst, throw things and get ao angry feel like my chest is exploding. Dont think its working for me....

Help anyone?

#29 Ciarrai

Ciarrai

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Diagnoses:TRD, iron deficient anemia
  • Current Meds:Pristiq, lithium, seroquel, Fe, Vit D, Nitrazepam, phenergan or doxylamine succinate or diphydramine

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:05 AM

Hi there, just wanted to share my Valdoxan experience.

I have treatment resistant depression with really shitty insomnia. This is the only AD that I hadn't tried (and I think my pdoc wanted to try it on someone as it's newly approved in Australia).

Started at the lowest dose. Had one of the worst nights I've ever had. Normally I don't sleep, but I'm wide awake. This made me sleepy as, but I couldn't drop off to sleep, and couldn't keep my eyes open either. Night 2 I was up all night with stomach cramps and diarrhea that passed by morning (pretty confident it wasn't a virus or dodgy food). Day 3 started getting muscle twitches. And then the head aches started. By day 5 I called my pdoc and literally asked him to give me a pancake head to make the headaches stop. I was taking paracetamol, aspirin, codeine, ibuprofen every 2 hours and it wasn't helping. He agreed that I needed to stop immediately. It still took 2 days for the headaches to settle enough for me to function.

So nothing works on me the way it should (med resistant), but this was one of the more crappy/strange meds that I've taken. I'd never taken anything that nudges melatonin before so wasn't sure what to expect. I don't want to scare anyone off, just thought this might be helpful for someone. Apparently my side effects don't fit the side effect profile for the med (confirming my pdocs dx of weird metabolism). What can I say, I'm special.

When I grow up, I wanna be a hermit.

Dx- Treatment Resistant Whale Shit Depression w horrid insomnia

Current Rx- Pristiq 200mg, Lithium 675mg, Seroquel 400mg, Nitrazepam 10mg with Promethazine/Doxylamine Succinate/Diphenhydramine, Dexamphetamine 15mg (increasing by 5mg/day to 30mg), Pantoprazole (for acid reflux), Fe + Vit C, Vit D

Tried & failed Rx- Zoloft, Edronax (Roboxetine), Cymbalta, Tolvon (Mianserin), Mirtazepine, Olanzipine, Temazepam, Sodium Valproate, Effexor, Lexapro, Fluoxetine, Paroxetine, Valdoxen, Thyroxine, and a truck load of others that I can't remember, and ECT.

#30 Werewolf Syndrome

Werewolf Syndrome

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Diagnoses:Incurable Hairy Hands...very depressing! Pain!!!
  • Current Meds:Venlafaxine 225mg, Valdoxan 25mg, Solpodol, Tramadol.

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:51 AM

I'm due to start Valdoxan, so good to read real experiences. I'm fed up being told, by my psychiatrist and GP, that 'I couldn't possibly be having the effects I am from my meds, because that's not how they work.' Encouraging to hear I am not alone in this and that they never really do work as expected.

Tried everything including Lexapro (nada), Lyrica, Epilim, This, That, Wanted a bit of The Other but I'm not in the mood... (all nada). I started Venlafaxine about six months ago and it worked after about twenty minutes ('it couldn't possibly,' insists the psychiatrickster). I felt so much better, but everyone around me went mad... I confess, I may have been a tad manic, just a tad. :evil:

Wide awake, la la la.... years pass and it is finally tomorrow morning... So the GP gave me Molipaxin 75mg for nights and it conks me out in about fifteen minutes. Great night's sleep so long as I don't wake up.... wide awake up, that is. Still, better than before as I haven't slept properly in years with my back pain.

Started on 75mg of Venlafaxine (Effexor), but the effex wore off, so I got upped, bit by bit, to 225mg. Psych recommended Mirtazapine (California Rocket Fuel, he jibed... silly boy), but it bloody well nearly killed me. I got so sick (nausea, headaches) and suicidal. I'll stick to my diesel/meths cocktail from now on.

So now the 225's don't work so well and the GP says he can push it to 300 but maybe try this wonder drug first. In fairness, he is being cautious and is a great guy so I trust him. (I'm probably projecting a father archetype onto him, but it is okay because it is definitely somebody else's father, i.e. one who is kind, compassionate and has more than half a functioning braincell). It's the drug companies I don't trust and after reading this forum I'm even more concerned. :( That shock with Mirtazapine hasn't quite worn off, but the hair is back on my palms and it'll be full moon in two weeks time, so I'm getting a bit anxious for the safety of the islanders....

Has anyone else anything positive to report about Valdoxan or a possible alternative? The GP did recommend straight-up Melatonin, but I can't afford it. I am lucky to get my meds on the public health scheme, here on the bright side of the moon, but Mela ain't covered. Valdoxan is.

Also, am I the only one who keeps calling it Val Doonican? I guess most of you in the US have never heard of him, but look him up on YouTube and you will instantly understand my fear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog