Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious

Always Craving Carbs!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_pammap

In_Remission_pammap
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:14 PM

I'm pissed, angry, and disappointed in myself.

So..I was just diagnosed bipolar ii. Ok, got it.

I just thought I was miserable for the last 20 years of my life. Tried every drug since Prozac came out, would work enough for about 5 months, then I was back in the bed, dreaming about suicides, fatal diseases, car accidents, etc. Doc then prescribes the latest and greatest with the same end result.

I was bakeracted Nov 18. I went in voluntarily because I was done, I've had it with this drug that drug, nothing was working. I had made a plan, scary to think back at how close I was...how selfish too, but in that mindset you just feel everyone is better off without you....

God Bless my doctor! I found him while I was married a couple years ago, and had great insurance. (I've since had my second divorce and no insurance) and he's not cheap, let me tell you. But, worth every penny. He was also my attending doc while in the hospital, It was awkward at first, because you only spend 15 minutes with this guy like every 3 months, and here I am sobbing like a baby in my pajamas with no makeup greasy hair cuz I havent showered in God only knows how long.

We're trying the meds for bipolar ii, I will list my meds shortly. I was initally diagnosed with treatment resistent major depression, and my doc thought I would really have some great results with brain zapping. (ETC)

I'm sure that's worked for some of you, but not for me!! I was in the hospital with people that were having the treatments, and they were so confused, it was scary. Now, if this recent diagnosis and meds doesn't work....I'll probably reconsider. I'm desperate for normalcy whatever that is?! Can i get an AMEN?!

Before I was admitted I was on the following:

Cymbalta 60mg
Ritalin 20mg
Synthroid .25mcg

It had been three months since I saw my doc, and I wasn't doing too good. So at my last visit before being admitted we changed a few things:

Cymbalta 90mg
Ability 2mg
Synthroid 25mcg
Nuvigil 250mg

I was admitted a week later, i was kept on the csu ward for five days before they transferred me to the open unit. I stayed for a total 15 days, and felt safe.
It wasn't my first time in a mental health unit, and it won't be my last I'm pretty sure.

I've been in and out of treatment centers since 14. With this new diagnosis, it's almost like an ah ha! moment. It explains so much, I think the hardest part is being a parent. I know my children will be in therapy because of my mood swings. They never trust me when I make plans for something, they're almost sure I will change my mind, or get angry..

Ok..back to the meds. Here's my new cocktail!

Prozac 20mg
Adderall xr 20mg
Adderall 5mg in the evening
Strattara 60mg
Synthroid 25mcg
Lamictal 50mg 2x's a day
Zebeta 2.5mg
Seroquel 100mg at night
zyprexa 10mg at night
Colace - Oh yeah!! A MUST

I FEEL better, but eating everything in sight, like I have NO WILLPOWER!! Someone please tell me you've had the same problem, and how did you control these urges?? Is there another drug I might suggest to my doc??

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 beek

beek

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I
  • Current Meds:Lithium 600, Lexapro 20

Posted 21 December 2009 - 03:54 PM

SEROQUEL!!!! It made me crave the carbs too. Put a lock on the kitchen until you fall asleep. Seriously. Wait until right before bed, pop the 'Quel and keep your butt in bed until you fall asleep.

That was the only way for me to control it. I also cut down my carbs to below 40 grams a day and that helped.
Past meds: Lamictal, Celexa, Seroquel, Rispirdal, Abilify, Duloxetine, Geodon, Lorazepam, Clozapine, Inderal, Clonazepam, Lunesta, Ambien, Rozerem.
Posted Image

#3 In_Remission_Constantly Fighting

In_Remission_Constantly Fighting
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:53 PM

Zyprexa turned me into a walking garbage disposal.... gained 25 pounds in three months.

SEROQUEL!!!! It made me crave the carbs too. Put a lock on the kitchen until you fall asleep. Seriously. Wait until right before bed, pop the 'Quel and keep your butt in bed until you fall asleep.

That was the only way for me to control it. I also cut down my carbs to below 40 grams a day and that helped.

#4 litgirl

litgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP I, e/d (anorexia - in remission phase)
  • Current Meds:Zyprexa Zydis, Topamax, Wellbutrin, Seroquel, Provigil, Xanax, Metformin

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:57 PM

I FEEL better, but eating everything in sight, like I have NO WILLPOWER!! Someone please tell me you've had the same problem, and how did you control these urges?? Is there another drug I might suggest to my doc??

That's one heck of a cocktail.

As for carbs - I did get carb cravings on Seroquel and I just didn't keep junk in the house. I have kids so we still have to have some treats (cookies for school lunches) but I just chewed on peppermint gum or something to get rid of the craving.

I use the Zydis version of Zyprexa and get no cravings on that.

Zyprexa Zydis 30 mg, Topamax 100mg, Wellbutrin 300mg, Seroquel 400 mg, Provigil 200mg PRN, Xanax 1mg PRN

#5 Anna

Anna

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, most recent episode Mixed
  • Current Meds:Seroquel, Risperdal, Depakote, Provigil, Neurontin.

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:21 PM

That cocktail is nuts.

Most likely culprit for the non stop eating is zyprexa, actually. Closely followed by seroquel.

Scheduled eating might help. Not with the cravings, they will remain, but with weight gain.

Anna
Anna

Diagnosed Bipolar Type I, most recently Mixed.

Current Meds: Seroquel, Risperdal, Neurontin, Provigil.

#6 Ondine

Ondine

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:53 PM

I do seem to crave carbs a little more on seroquel but I think the biggie in your list is probably Zyprexa. I just try not to eat them very often. My friends who take Zydis say it does help with that craving thing (never tried it myself.)

I however, have craved carbs all my life when sad or puzzled, so this answer about seroquel may have more to do with emotions than medicine.

#7 funkycrayon

funkycrayon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Diagnoses:bp i, ptsd

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:27 PM

seroquel has been my best friend for over three years. it's a true love/hate relationship. it works so well, and it's the only way i can sleep, so i've tried living with and managing the weight gain. you know, exercise and trying with all my willpower to stay the hell away from the kitchen! i've never been on zyprexa, but from what i've read it's even worse than seroquel. and seroquel makes for some serious craving and weight issues.

this week pdoc and i decided i've gained too much weight - 60 lbs too much. a LOT. now i'm in contention for metabolic problems and diabetes. i'm 32. it's NOT cool. so wish me luck, i'm going to attempt breaking up with the stuff again - this is my third try! why?! oh why my beloved seroquel?! i loved you so!

(did i mention how much i love the stuff?)

Edited by funkycrayon, 25 January 2010 - 08:30 PM.

lithium 1200mgs - lamictal 200mgs - neurontin 2400mgs - abilify 20mgs - restoril 30mgs - prazosin 4mgs - clonodine .1mgs 3x/day - propranolol ER 120 mgs - xanax 3mgs

#8 creepy

creepy

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD
  • Current Meds:200mg sertraline 300mg lamotrigine

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:02 AM

That is a major cocktail of meds. How much of that is leftover from addressing the crisis, and how much of that is necessary for maintenance is what Id be asking.
You might be able to trade seroquel for trazodone if you can manage that. It might make you cycle but its a weak AD so it might work out. prozac is an SSRI. most docs consider that a no-no in bipolar. getting off destabilizing meds may decrease your need for stabilizing ones like the zyprexa.
zyprexa.. ugh. I would try to get off of that unless you find you really need it. This is a heavy duty med. I just dont understand the need for an antipsychotic in bipolar unless you are either in crisis, have psychosis, or have tried everything else.
Ideally you should be able to manage with mood stabilizers, lamictal for depression, provigil, etc.
strattera might be too close to an antidepressant and may make you less stable if you try to lower zyprexa. Im not 100% sure on that. Usually its the SSRIs that are famous for destabilizing someone with bipolar. That med works on norepinephrine.
Id also worry about the adderall. Theres a lot of ups and downs in energy and mood with it. Provigil might be a better choice.
If youre out of crisis mode, nows the time to slowly juggle things to get to a maintenance plan that balances out quality of life with suppression of bipolar symptoms.
Zombiez ate my brain
and spat it back out, blecch...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog