Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious

Adding Wellbutrin To Lexapro?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_Jickey

In_Remission_Jickey
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:30 PM

I take 20mg Lexapro and 4mg Abilify per day for depression and mild anxiety. I guess the Lex has evened me out a bit, since I'm not constantly sad anymore, but I'm not happy either. I just exist. The day-to-day anxiety is all but gone, but the things that *should* cause anxiety (in a "normal" person) drive me absolutely insane - I'm a wreck. It's like it cured low-level anxiety, but increased upper level anxiety. Luckily, I don't have many of the high level anxiety events, so that's not so much of a problem for me. I have two problems now, and I'd like to get some input before I ask my doc to change things:

1) I want to sleep all the time now. I had severe insomnia over the summer before I went on the meds, but now you get me still somewhere and I'm asleep. Could the meds be causing this, or worsening depression? Would Wellbutrin help that?

2) Sex - boy, it ain't fun anymore. Before adding Abilify, I had no problem attaining erection, but I couldn't orgasm no matter what I did. With the Abilify, let's go ahead and add problems getting an erection to the mix, and the problems getting to orgasm even worse. I like sex (understatement of the year) - or I used to. Now it's a perpetual fear of disappointing my partner. I've heard that Wellbutrin can help with this...is it true? Please tell me it is.

What I'm wanting to do is drop the Abilify - can't tell that it's doing anything for me - and add the Wellbutrin. Anyone else out there on a Lexapro/Wellbutrin combo?

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 F755

F755

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Diagnoses:lol

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:59 PM

I take 20mg Lexapro and 4mg Abilify per day for depression and mild anxiety. I guess the Lex has evened me out a bit, since I'm not constantly sad anymore, but I'm not happy either. I just exist. The day-to-day anxiety is all but gone, but the things that *should* cause anxiety (in a "normal" person) drive me absolutely insane - I'm a wreck. It's like it cured low-level anxiety, but increased upper level anxiety. Luckily, I don't have many of the high level anxiety events, so that's not so much of a problem for me. I have two problems now, and I'd like to get some input before I ask my doc to change things:

1) I want to sleep all the time now. I had severe insomnia over the summer before I went on the meds, but now you get me still somewhere and I'm asleep. Could the meds be causing this, or worsening depression? Would Wellbutrin help that?

2) Sex - boy, it ain't fun anymore. Before adding Abilify, I had no problem attaining erection, but I couldn't orgasm no matter what I did. With the Abilify, let's go ahead and add problems getting an erection to the mix, and the problems getting to orgasm even worse. I like sex (understatement of the year) - or I used to. Now it's a perpetual fear of disappointing my partner. I've heard that Wellbutrin can help with this...is it true? Please tell me it is.

What I'm wanting to do is drop the Abilify - can't tell that it's doing anything for me - and add the Wellbutrin. Anyone else out there on a Lexapro/Wellbutrin combo?

From what your describing I would most definetly consider adding wellbutrin. It has stimulant properties which would help the tiredness. Also, yes people frequently report that their sexual side effects from meds go away or lessen from wellbutrin.

Why are you on abilify?

#3 In_Remission_Jickey

In_Remission_Jickey
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:02 AM

Why are you on abilify?

Because the Lexapro wasn't doing much (if anything) for the depression. Suckered by a misleading TV commercial if you want the honest truth...

#4 blessedbee

blessedbee

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Diagnoses:treatment resistant MDD/BP?
  • Current Meds:lamictal 150mg, wellbutrin 400mg, ritalin 10mg, xanax .5mg, viibrid 10mg

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:28 AM

Lexapro and Wellbutrin has been an awesome combination for me. I was stable on 20mg Lexapro, but felt like I was only 2/3 out of my hole. Not crying all the time anymore, but still zero energy and felt like although I wasn't super depressed, I couldn't really get happy either. I added 300mg of Wellbutrin, and it's a whole new world. lots more energy, the ability to actually enjoy things and have fun, and all of a sudden I have a libido for the first time in my life ( I was on Prozac when I was really young and I think maybe it stunted my sexual development?) On the Lexapro alone I could reach orgasm eventually, but it was challenging and took a long time. With the Wellbutrin, it's no problem to climax and I actually have a sense of desire. I am a woman so I'm sure the orgasm mechanism is somewhat different than for you as a man but that has been my experience. I highly recommend this combination!

#5 creepy

creepy

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD
  • Current Meds:200mg sertraline 300mg lamotrigine

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:37 AM

If you read some of the other lexapro threads theres a bunch of similar issues with lex. It knocks you out and tends to numb the emotions.
You can add wellbutrin for some of that, but there are two bad things about that idea. One is its an anxiety-promoting drug in many people, you may or may not respond well. Two, if you do respond well, wellbutrin has a habit of pooping out after a few months on each dose increase.
Id get rid of the lexapro if its not doing the job. Only problem is that most of the other SSRIs are stimulating in comparison and might make the anxiety worse.
Zombiez ate my brain
and spat it back out, blecch...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog