Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Lithium & Odour?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 GardenGirl

GardenGirl

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Diagnoses:Manic Depression, ADD
  • Current Meds:Lithium, Zoloft, Ritalin

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:25 PM

Hi guys,

I've noticed I smell funny. I've been on Lithium for only 6 months or so (no smell) & recently increased my dose & now smell funny. I shower & use deodorant & eat nutritious food and all that, but it's still there. It kind of smells like iron (like a cast iron frying pan). And I can't figure out where it's coming from (not my pits or my precious parts). So I think it's sort of all - over (like my skin is excreting it or something).

To make matters worse, I've also noticed that my sense of smell has diminished since I started Lithium. So I'm not sure if this smell is like 10 or 20 times worse than I think it is!!! At first I thought it was just me (all in my head), but then my boyfriend said, "why do you smell like that?" (He's a really nice guy actually, and I hadn't mentioned this to him before he brought it up.)

I've been reading the boards anonymously for ages, but it's time to take the plunge & participate. I'm a new member. Jared & comrades, thank you for starting & maintaining this website -- it's been a key resource in my recovery. You're good people.

Yours in smelly solidarity,

GardenGirl

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 jibe

jibe

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:58 AM

Hello and welcome here !

I never heard of that and I've many friends who take or took lithium. But well.

I found this :

http://www.drugs.com...de-effects.html

Lithium can mess with the thyroid gland, maybe it also messes with your sweat glands (apporcrine and epporcine).

In any cases it's rare, have you talked about it to your pdoc ? about trying to reduce the lithium in order to see if it's that ?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

#3 GardenGirl

GardenGirl

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:58 AM

Hi Jibe -- thanks for your reply. I think you're right -- it might be a sweat gland thing. I've noticed that it goes away when I run. Your link is an excellent resource too. Many thanks. I will bring it up with my doctor.

I'm satisfied with Lithium overall. My quality of life has improved, and I feel that I'm recovering.

#4 jibe

jibe

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:04 AM

Thanks a lot for your compliments gardengirl !
I'm always happy to help :mad:

Indeed this page is really good, especially if you wish to look for meds interactions !

I wish you the best in your treatment.

#5 DrSara

DrSara

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar
  • Current Meds:Lamictal

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:08 AM

Are you sure it is you, and not that you are tasting/smelling the lithium itself? I definitely noticed that metallic smell/taste all the time, but it was the lithium in my system (like in tongue and nose) rather than actually something someone else would notice.

#6 Anna

Anna

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, most recent episode Mixed
  • Current Meds:Seroquel, Risperdal, Depakote, Provigil, Neurontin.

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:35 PM

Well, if her bf noticed it, it's not just her.

Can you lower the dose again if it is truly bothersome? You may need to augment in that case with something else.

Anna
Anna

Diagnosed Bipolar Type I, most recently Mixed.

Current Meds: Seroquel, Risperdal, Neurontin, Provigil.

#7 jibe

jibe

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 12:10 AM

Are you sure it is you, and not that you are tasting/smelling the lithium itself? I definitely noticed that metallic smell/taste all the time, but it was the lithium in my system (like in tongue and nose) rather than actually something someone else would notice.

She speaks of the odor of her body, not of lithium

#8 jibe

jibe

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 12:10 AM

Well, if her bf noticed it, it's not just her.

Can you lower the dose again if it is truly bothersome? You may need to augment in that case with something else.

Anna

We covered that, duh

#9 GardenGirl

GardenGirl

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:50 AM

Hi Dr. Sara:

Thank you!! It is a metallic smell (kind of like Iron). I smell it even after I get out of the shower. You know, I never thought that it could be the smell of the Lithium itself (I don't get that metallic taste that others talk about.) But you smell it too. So maybe that's what it is.

Do you smell the same thing as me? Do others smell it (or just you?) Does it diminish over time / do you get used to it?

Anna: That's good advice. I'll keep that in mind. I will decrease if I have to (like if it's a serious health risk). I'm relucant to change drugs uh-gain.

Jibe: Don't be mean to the girls. :mad: I took your advice, Jibe -- I saw my psychiatrist yesterday & he said to check with my GP, to make sure it's nothing serious (like with the sweat glands). I'm glad you brought that up.

Thank you,

GardenGirl

#10 jibe

jibe

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 01:48 PM

Hi Dr. Sara:

Thank you!! It is a metallic smell (kind of like Iron). I smell it even after I get out of the shower. You know, I never thought that it could be the smell of the Lithium itself (I don't get that metallic taste that others talk about.) But you smell it too. So maybe that's what it is.

Do you smell the same thing as me? Do others smell it (or just you?) Does it diminish over time / do you get used to it?

Anna: That's good advice. I'll keep that in mind. I will decrease if I have to (like if it's a serious health risk). I'm relucant to change drugs uh-gain.

Jibe: Don't be mean to the girls. :mad: I took your advice, Jibe -- I saw my psychiatrist yesterday & he said to check with my GP, to make sure it's nothing serious (like with the sweat glands). I'm glad you brought that up.

Thank you,

GardenGirl

Sorry :'(

#11 beek

beek

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I
  • Current Meds:Lithium 600, Lexapro 20

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:14 AM

Try staying more hydrated perhaps. I never had this though :mad:
Past meds: Lamictal, Celexa, Seroquel, Rispirdal, Abilify, Duloxetine, Geodon, Lorazepam, Clozapine, Inderal, Clonazepam, Lunesta, Ambien, Rozerem.
Posted Image

#12 GardenGirl

GardenGirl

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:27 AM

Thanks Beek -- that's not a bad idea. You can't go wrong drinking lots of water with Lithium. I feel more energised, less nauseous...probably I'd be less smelly too! I'll give that a go.

I dig your picture :mad:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog