Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious

Can Seroquel Cause Increase In Anxiety?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_Nicole

In_Remission_Nicole
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:55 PM

For the past few months, every night after I take Seroquel I get really bad anxiety attacks. I think this happened when my dose was increased to 200mg and I switched to Wellbutrin XR. My psychiatrist thought it was just an anxiety problem, since I am an anxious person, so my dose was increased from 200mg to 300mg. The anxiety attacks got much worse after this and tended to last a few hours every night. My psychiatrist doesn't think the two are related still and didn't seem to be willing to consider that there could be a connection. However, I insisted to be taken off of Seroquel anyway. I'm being put on Risperdal instead. At this point I'd rather not take any anti-psychotic medication than have anxiety like that regularly.

I'm not sure how this works... how similar are Seroquel and Risperdal? Now that I'm only taking around 50mg of Seroquel a night as part of tapering off the anxiety is not nearly as bad. I'm worried that Risperdal will do the same thing to me. I've missed most of my classes this semester and I can't afford to be this anxious for exam period.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Is it even possible that Seroquel could have caused anxiety attacks? Are the two medications different enough that I should be okay switching? I guess that last question doesn't matter if Seroquel had nothing to do with anxiety. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Anna

Anna

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, most recent episode Mixed
  • Current Meds:Seroquel, Risperdal, Depakote, Provigil, Neurontin.

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:21 AM

Seroquel can cause agitation and anxiety in a certain subset of folks.

Risperdal and seroquel are in the same class of meds, but different enough that no, you won't necessarily get anxiety from the risperdal if you did from seroquel.

Anna
Anna

Diagnosed Bipolar Type I, most recently Mixed.

Current Meds: Seroquel, Risperdal, Neurontin, Provigil.

#3 In_Remission_Nicole

In_Remission_Nicole
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:55 PM

Seroquel can cause agitation and anxiety in a certain subset of folks.

Risperdal and seroquel are in the same class of meds, but different enough that no, you won't necessarily get anxiety from the risperdal if you did from seroquel.

Anna

Great, thank you! I'll give risperdal a shot then.

#4 therapeuticbrigg84

therapeuticbrigg84

Would-be Neurologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Diagnoses:generalized anxiety, social anxiety, fibro/insomnia (schizotypal catch all)
  • Current Meds:GBP 300mg, HCTZ 25mg, ARTANE 2-4mg PRN, TRAZ 50mg PRN, fish oil

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:55 PM

switching to wellbutrin xr, wellbutrin xl? or wellbutrin sr?

Edited by therapeuticbrigg84, 22 November 2009 - 05:08 PM.

dx: schizotypal personality disorder, dystonic neck and back pain, GERD. a bit of TD, akathisia, dysmorphic thoughts, affect is questionable

seroquel and inderal 60mg made me fatigued/ depressed. may hafta try lopressor or bisoprolol

inderal interacts with ssris and anti-psychs.

success HCTZ not only lowers my blood pressure and pulse more effectively. but it also has helped with the headaches ive been having. i should see a doctor about this.

[color="#0000FF"]rx: klonopin .5-1 prn, omega 3 fish oil, vitamin D3 iu, albuterol sulfate inhaler, magnesium hydroxide(for the constipationg)

in flux: seroquel 50mg
up and coming: nuvigil

looking into injectables.

artane 2 mg PRN(rare), trazodone 50mg PRN, lyrica PRN?

#5 jook

jook

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Diagnoses:BPI & PD
  • Current Meds:Seroquel, Klonopin, Provigil, Ambien, Gabitril

Posted 22 November 2009 - 05:02 PM

Are you referring to akathisia?
Feel like your skin is literally crawling? Ants in your pants?

I had mild akathisia w/ Seroquel when I hit 150 mgs.
That's when I quit taking it.
I had just had a severe bout w/ this w/ Abilify and I wasn't about to suffer from it again.
It is unbearable (to say the least).

BTW- I later took up to 4 mgs. Risperdal w/o any problem.

jook

Edited by jook, 22 November 2009 - 05:04 PM.

my brain hates agonists and reuptake-inhibitors

former rx= Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Zoloft, Topamax, Lamictal, Depakote, Lithobid, Trileptal, Gabitril,
Zonegran, Seroquel, Risperdal, Invega, Zyprexa, Abilify, Geodon, Saphris, Ativan, Xanax, Valium, BuSpar,

Nuvigil, Provigil, Restoril, Ambien CR, Lunesta, various combinations with all of the above

#6 In_Remission_Nicole

In_Remission_Nicole
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2009 - 08:19 PM

switching to wellbutrin xr, wellbutrin xl? or wellbutrin sr?

Ah, I'm sorry. It was actually Wellbutrin XL I switched to but from Wellbutrin SR

#7 In_Remission_Nicole

In_Remission_Nicole
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2009 - 08:28 PM

Are you referring to akathisia?
Feel like your skin is literally crawling? Ants in your pants?

I had mild akathisia w/ Seroquel when I hit 150 mgs.
That's when I quit taking it.
I had just had a severe bout w/ this w/ Abilify and I wasn't about to suffer from it again.
It is unbearable (to say the least).

BTW- I later took up to 4 mgs. Risperdal w/o any problem.

jook

I don't think that is what happened to me. I didn't feel restless and I had no problem sitting still. I was usually afraid to move but my skin wasn't crawling or anything. It certainly sounds terrible though. That would drive me crazy..or crazier. I hope it didn't last too long.
Even if I didn't have akathisia it is kind of reassuring (not sure why) to hear that you were able to take Risperdal fine

#8 therapeuticbrigg84

therapeuticbrigg84

Would-be Neurologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Diagnoses:generalized anxiety, social anxiety, fibro/insomnia (schizotypal catch all)
  • Current Meds:GBP 300mg, HCTZ 25mg, ARTANE 2-4mg PRN, TRAZ 50mg PRN, fish oil

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:08 PM

xl sits in your system longer and could a culprit of anxiety, more than just seroquel

dx: schizotypal personality disorder, dystonic neck and back pain, GERD. a bit of TD, akathisia, dysmorphic thoughts, affect is questionable

seroquel and inderal 60mg made me fatigued/ depressed. may hafta try lopressor or bisoprolol

inderal interacts with ssris and anti-psychs.

success HCTZ not only lowers my blood pressure and pulse more effectively. but it also has helped with the headaches ive been having. i should see a doctor about this.

[color="#0000FF"]rx: klonopin .5-1 prn, omega 3 fish oil, vitamin D3 iu, albuterol sulfate inhaler, magnesium hydroxide(for the constipationg)

in flux: seroquel 50mg
up and coming: nuvigil

looking into injectables.

artane 2 mg PRN(rare), trazodone 50mg PRN, lyrica PRN?

#9 In_Remission_Nicole

In_Remission_Nicole
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2009 - 03:57 PM

xl sits in your system longer and could a culprit of anxiety, more than just seroquel

Ohh I'll have to ask psychiatrist about that then. I have a feeling he'll say it is just anxiety disorder acting up

#10 Jen C

Jen C

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression w/ seasonal component, Anxiety
  • Current Meds:Fish oil

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:02 PM

Taken straight from the Wellbutrin page on crazymeds:

Wellbutrin / Wellbutrin SR / Wellbutrin XL's Typical Side Effects: Agitation, anxiety, insomnia, weight loss (bupropion is undergoing trials as a weight loss medication), headache, dry mouth, nausea, constipation, dizziness. Most of these are transitory, but the weight loss, agitation and insomnia tend to stick around. Wellbutrin (bupropion hydrochloride) is often used to counter the side effects of other medications.

I've never felt Seroquel has increased my anxiety, but, as everyone says YMMV.

#11 In_Remission_Nicole

In_Remission_Nicole
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2009 - 09:00 PM

Taken straight from the Wellbutrin page on crazymeds:

Wellbutrin / Wellbutrin SR / Wellbutrin XL's Typical Side Effects: Agitation, anxiety, insomnia, weight loss (bupropion is undergoing trials as a weight loss medication), headache, dry mouth, nausea, constipation, dizziness. Most of these are transitory, but the weight loss, agitation and insomnia tend to stick around. Wellbutrin (bupropion hydrochloride) is often used to counter the side effects of other medications.

I've never felt Seroquel has increased my anxiety, but, as everyone says YMMV.

I don't think that it is mainly the Wellbutrin but it is possible that it contributed. Now that I'm down to 25mg of Seroquel the anxiety after I take it is almost gone

#12 Nicko

Nicko

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 06:39 PM

I'm going on my 5th night of 25mg of Seroquel. I was on .5mg of Risperidone and was doing ok, but then every two weeks or so would have a set back and I didn't like some of the side effects of Risperidone. I have OCD and GAD. I'm also taking 30mg of Lexapro a day. I was doing great on Lexapro alone combined with CBT, but the last few months I've been falling back. My Psych doesn't want to change the Lexapro, although personally, I think its pooping out after about a year of use.

Seroquel makes me sleep like a log - thats for sure. It actually takes away all anxiety within 20 minutes of taking it. I wake up with some mild anxiety, which turns into the most uncomfortable anxiety by mid afternoon. I'm thinking of going back on Risperidone...Can't take this anxiety.

Question:

Does Seroquel take a few days to kick in? Is there anxiety associated with start up, similar to some SSRI's? Not sure if its time to throw in the towel or to stick with it for a bit. Maybe its time to get off all meds. I feel like a walking pharmacy.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Nicko

Edited by Nicko, 12 December 2009 - 06:41 PM.

#13 beek

beek

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I
  • Current Meds:Lithium 600, Lexapro 20

Posted 12 December 2009 - 06:48 PM

A low dose benzo like klonopin can help.
Past meds: Lamictal, Celexa, Seroquel, Rispirdal, Abilify, Duloxetine, Geodon, Lorazepam, Clozapine, Inderal, Clonazepam, Lunesta, Ambien, Rozerem.
Posted Image

#14 Nicko

Nicko

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 06:54 PM

Got some of that. Scared to death of getting hooked. Would rather find a med combo that works without risk of dependence.

#15 beek

beek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I
  • Current Meds:Lithium 600, Lexapro 20

Posted 12 December 2009 - 06:59 PM

Got some of that. Scared to death of getting hooked. Would rather find a med combo that works without risk of dependence.

Jook commented on this in a post I made about the same fears. A low steady daily dose before bed made a big difference for me. I am off ap's for now and doing well.
Past meds: Lamictal, Celexa, Seroquel, Rispirdal, Abilify, Duloxetine, Geodon, Lorazepam, Clozapine, Inderal, Clonazepam, Lunesta, Ambien, Rozerem.
Posted Image

#16 sg2028

sg2028

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Diagnoses:major depression, severe, recurrent

Posted 12 December 2009 - 07:20 PM

If the anxiety is really happening only after you take the seroquel, it may be the cause. But, I wouldn't rule out wellbutrin which can be a cause of anxiety.

I took wellbutrin for two weeks about 10 years ago in which I had non stop flat out panic attacks. i curled up on the floor of my room crying, panicky for two weeks until my dr. agreed it wasn't a symptom likely to fade. i've never had anxiety trouble before or since.

your expression of the timing makes me inclined not to rule out the seroquel, but i definitely wouldn't rule out the wellbutrin, either.

#17 jook

jook

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Diagnoses:BPI & PD
  • Current Meds:Seroquel, Klonopin, Provigil, Ambien, Gabitril

Posted 12 December 2009 - 10:10 PM

You can only get hooked if you let yourself become grossly irresponsible.
You risk dependence with any drug you take.
Diabetics are dependent on insulin, yes?
People with high cholesterol are dependent on statins.
I don't see your point.

You have addiction and dependence mixed up.

jook

my brain hates agonists and reuptake-inhibitors

former rx= Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Zoloft, Topamax, Lamictal, Depakote, Lithobid, Trileptal, Gabitril,
Zonegran, Seroquel, Risperdal, Invega, Zyprexa, Abilify, Geodon, Saphris, Ativan, Xanax, Valium, BuSpar,

Nuvigil, Provigil, Restoril, Ambien CR, Lunesta, various combinations with all of the above

#18 Nicko

Nicko

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 07:45 AM

Yeah - I agree, but still don't want to become dependent on something that risks addiction while there are alternatives. I'll cross that bridge only when it becomes a last resort.

You can only get hooked if you let yourself become grossly irresponsible.
You risk dependence with any drug you take.
Diabetics are dependent on insulin, yes?
People with high cholesterol are dependent on statins.
I don't see your point.

You have addiction and dependence mixed up.

jook

#19 aerialiste

aerialiste

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts
  • Diagnoses:296.90 (with a nice little helping of GAD/OCD)
  • Current Meds:Emsam 9 mg, Seroquel 50 mg, Klonopin .25 mg PRN

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:32 PM

Seroquel/Abilify + me = akathisia. The Seroquel was so bad I'd literally leap/fly out of bed (involuntarily might I add) and hit the floor. The Abilify wasn't quite so bad, so I stayed on it for a long time (with Lunesta as a sleeper) and as a result have some thrilling EPS sx which will probably be with me for the rest of my life.

Zyprexa didn't cause any akathisia, but I haven't tried any other AAPs. Seems like YMMV with all of them, though—each worth a try for its own reasons. Hope Geodon or Risperdal is right for you—good luck!
"The pink ones keep ya from screamin'!" Abe "Grandpa" Simpson

Experience with: Elavil, Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Wellbutrin, Remeron, Effexor, Zyprexa, Lamictal, Lithobid, Emsam, Abilify, Seroquel, Deplin, Cymbalta, Trazodone, Risperdal, Saphris, Rozerem, Lunesta, Ambien, Valium, Xanax, Ativan, Klonopin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog