Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Nortriptyline Added To Mix / Question For Pro's

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RocketMan

RocketMan

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 187 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP NOS - up for debate now?, OCD, Major Anxiety Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder
  • Current Meds:Seroquel XR 100mg, Lamictal 50mg, Clonazepam 1mg / 3xday

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:13 AM

My depression has been lingering for several months now and I am unable to see my p/doc for another 6 weeks. So I went to my GP yesterday and he told me to add nortriptyline 50 mg to my mix of zoloft, lamictal, zyprexa and clonazepam.
I did not think to ask him questions so I'm hoping someone here can help?

Do you think the nortriptyline and zyprexa are safe together as far as potential interactions?

I take my zyprexa at 6pm and am still alert @ 10pm, trouble falling asleep, but I sleep well once I get there. Will the nortriptyline add to the "falling asleep" issue. I'm thinking I could take the nortriptyline in the morning with my zoloft?

Thanks for your support.
Regards, Rick

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 therapeuticbrigg84

therapeuticbrigg84

Would-be Neurologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Diagnoses:generalized anxiety, social anxiety, fibro/insomnia (schizotypal catch all)
  • Current Meds:GBP 300mg, HCTZ 25mg, ARTANE 2-4mg PRN, TRAZ 50mg PRN, fish oil

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:29 AM

umm i have no idea why any doctor would add nortriptyline 50 mg to a zoloft 75 mg. without at least some apprehension about too much serotonin-serotonin syndrome.

but as for your other question yeah, there shouldn't be much of an issue between zyprexa and nortriptyline. you could even probably fall asleep earlier with this combo.

as for time to take them, i wouldn't take the zoloft and the pamelor together, i would actually take the nortriptyline at night with your zyprexa. but hey, that's just my take.

Edited by therapeuticbrigg84, 11 November 2009 - 11:34 AM.

dx: schizotypal personality disorder, dystonic neck and back pain, GERD. a bit of TD, akathisia, dysmorphic thoughts, affect is questionable

seroquel and inderal 60mg made me fatigued/ depressed. may hafta try lopressor or bisoprolol

inderal interacts with ssris and anti-psychs.

success HCTZ not only lowers my blood pressure and pulse more effectively. but it also has helped with the headaches ive been having. i should see a doctor about this.

[color="#0000FF"]rx: klonopin .5-1 prn, omega 3 fish oil, vitamin D3 iu, albuterol sulfate inhaler, magnesium hydroxide(for the constipationg)

in flux: seroquel 50mg
up and coming: nuvigil

looking into injectables.

artane 2 mg PRN(rare), trazodone 50mg PRN, lyrica PRN?

#3 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,456 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 400, CLZ 2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.5-1

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:08 PM

Rick, call your Pdoc's office and ask for a phone consult since you can't get in for 6 weeks.

GPs really shouldn't play Pdoc.

Dymphna

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#4 sg2028

sg2028

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Diagnoses:major depression, severe, recurrent

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:59 PM

Strongly seconds Dymphna.

That aside, I took nortrypaline briefly for sleep - like you said, it didn't help with falling asleep, but i slept better. Also, for the first couple of days i felt deeply drugged, almost sedated within a few hours of waking up the next morning. that faded after a 2-3 days. Not sure if it would be better at night or morning, suspect it depends on the individual.

#5 therapeuticbrigg84

therapeuticbrigg84

Would-be Neurologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Diagnoses:generalized anxiety, social anxiety, fibro/insomnia (schizotypal catch all)

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:41 PM

most pdocs do not do phone consults, unless they have free time, which rarely they do

dx: schizotypal personality disorder, dystonic neck and back pain, GERD. a bit of TD, akathisia, dysmorphic thoughts, affect is questionable

seroquel and inderal 60mg made me fatigued/ depressed. may hafta try lopressor or bisoprolol

success HCTZ not only lowers my blood pressure and pulse more effectively. but it also has helped with the headaches ive been having. i should see a doctor about this.

[color="#0000FF"]rx: klonopin .5-1 prn, omega 3 fish oil, vitamin D3 iu, albuterol sulfate inhaler, magnesium hydroxide(for the constipationg)

#6 Anna

Anna

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, most recent episode Mixed
  • Current Meds:Seroquel, Risperdal, Depakote, Provigil, Neurontin.

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:44 PM

Actually, it's been my experience that ALL of my pdocs (but one, which I fired) have done phone consults as needed.

Anna
Anna

Diagnosed Bipolar Type I, most recently Mixed.

Current Meds: Seroquel, Risperdal, Neurontin, Provigil.

#7 therapeuticbrigg84

therapeuticbrigg84

Would-be Neurologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:45 PM

Actually, it's been my experience that ALL of my pdocs (but one, which I fired) have done phone consults as needed.

Anna

well....that's amazing. i still think i have a good one though, cuz the one i have teaches pharmacology

#8 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,456 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 400, CLZ 2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.5-1

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:12 AM

Pdoc profs are a different animal than standard Pdocs.

Standard Pdocs do phone consults. Even if it's only the patient describing what is going on to the person on the phone (office manager or whatever), that person then telling the doc, the doc telling the phone person, and the phone person calling the patient back with instructions.

D

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#9 RocketMan

RocketMan

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 187 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP NOS - up for debate now?, OCD, Major Anxiety Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder
  • Current Meds:Seroquel XR 100mg, Lamictal 50mg, Clonazepam 1mg / 3xday

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:29 AM

So I just got off the phone with p/doc (actually spoke directly to him!) and he gave me the okay to add nortriptyline, 25mg rather than 50mg as I originally asked. He knew I had a good run with effexor several years ago and said it would be a similar result..... (zoloft+nortrip), but in a different way?
Thanks for everyone's input.
Regards, Rick

#10 DrSara

DrSara

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar
  • Current Meds:Lamictal

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:55 AM

Just to add, I LOVED nortriptyline.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog