Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Saphris (asenapine)? Know Anything About It?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 mj1127

mj1127

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, ADHD, migraine
  • Current Meds:Lithium CR, Abilify, Latuda, Adderall, Wellbutrin

Posted 27 October 2009 - 04:44 PM

I'm not getting better and my pdoc is getting frustrated. Now she wants me to try this, or one of several other even more unpalatable options (Equetro, Symbyax, Invega again). Has anyone actually taken Saphris, or know what I can expect from it? Can anyone help me figure out which AAP it's most likely to be like? If it's going to make me exhausted all day, I don't need it. I don't really need to get any fatter either. These are the sub-lingual tablets, so perhaps they might have less weight impact. I am told they taste very, very bad.

My problem currently is a depression of very long duration (over a year) with a lot of anxiety, much of which comes from big-time real-life stress. I haven't had a mixed or manic episode in well over a year - and these seem to be the indications for this drug, so the wisdom of prescribing it for me comes into question. I wonder whether circling "worried" and "tense" on the mood questionnaire made her think I'm cycling up into mixed. Of course, many meds have been used in manners other than those intended, I just wish I had some suggestion at least that this might work for me. This is also AAP number two for me, as she wants me to continue taking Abilify until we find out whether Saphris works; I'm not sure of the wisdom of that either (though of all the meds I've taken, Abilify has had the most efficacy).

So does anyone have any words of wisdom for me?

MJ

Bipolar NOS, ADHD, migraine

300mg Lithium CR, 7.5mg Abilify, 40mg Latuda, 20mg Adderall BID, 150mg Wellbutrin XL

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 mj1127

mj1127

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:59 AM

Here's the report so far - I took 5mg last night. It tastes truly awful. I slept well but was very sleepy this morning. I think perhaps it is too sedating to take gabapentin the next morning. However, I had an extra cup of coffee and am feeling alert now. Mood effects - hard to tell, probably too soon and too low a dose, but at least I don't feel worse. The dosing schedule she has planned is 5mg PM for a week, then 10mg PM for a week, then 20mg PM, though I expect she will not push dose increases if I seem to have some results at a lower dose. I need to function the next two mornings, so I probably won't take another until Friday - if I had thought about it, I would have planned to start Friday and sleep off some of the sedation over the weekend. It feels to me like it could very well diminish over time.

So at least nothing really bad to report yet.

MJ

300mg Lithium CR, 7.5mg Abilify, 40mg Latuda, 20mg Adderall BID, 150mg Wellbutrin XL

#3 elegy

elegy

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 186 posts
  • Diagnoses:My own kind of crazy
  • Current Meds:Celexa, Lamictal, Seroquel, Focalin, Abilify

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:02 PM

Prior topic with a little info on Saphris.

Since the drug is new(I didn't know it was on the market and being prescribed already), there's not much experience, but from what I can tell, it's not all that unique(supposedly about as effective and maybe more[for schizophrenia, if I remember correctly] as Zyprexa/olanzapine). However, it looks like the impact on weight is less than other AAPs. Of course, the results are different for bipolar I trials compared to schizophrenia trials.

Here is a news article/release from medicalnewstoday.com, which is, what I think, a reliable source of information.

This is the Saphris website, with the PI in html, but I prefer .pdf format for reading my PI sheets, personally.

The bio-availability drops to shit when you swallow it, so even though it tastes bad, that's the only way it'll work. No eating or drinking after 10 mins, and I would personally abstain for 10 mins prior, just to be cautious. Smoking does not appear to have an impact on Saphris.

That's about all I have for you right now, hopefully more info will come to light soon. If I come across any, I'll post. :mad:
"Shift that fat ass, Harry. But slowly, or you'll swamp the damn boat!"

-- George Washington, 1776

'I don't want to be lonely, I just want to be alone.'

Working Dx: MDD, Bipolar NOS, ADHD, LD-NOS

#4 mj1127

mj1127

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:26 PM

Thanks elegy. I still have major misgivings about this and felt pretty hung over all day today despite not having taken it yesterday. The thought of going through another period of feeling horribly sleepy when I am battling brain fog already is a lot to bear. Mr. MJ will certainly not like it either. And that taste, every day - really yuck. Plus, I'm not sure I want to be a guinea pig right now.

Then again, there's the possibility that it will work.

I don't know what I'm going to do.

MJ

#5 elegy

elegy

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 186 posts
  • Diagnoses:My own kind of crazy
  • Current Meds:Celexa, Lamictal, Seroquel, Focalin, Abilify

Posted 29 October 2009 - 05:05 PM

Thanks elegy. I still have major misgivings about this and felt pretty hung over all day today despite not having taken it yesterday. The thought of going through another period of feeling horribly sleepy when I am battling brain fog already is a lot to bear. Mr. MJ will certainly not like it either. And that taste, every day - really yuck. Plus, I'm not sure I want to be a guinea pig right now.

Then again, there's the possibility that it will work.

I don't know what I'm going to do.

If you are not comfortable taking it, I strongly suggest you talk to your pdoc. I think if I were in your position, I would have reservations as well, and for good reason. Hopefully, your pdoc will be able to give you more information on this drug and answer your questions. If she is unable to do that, I think it would not be unreasonable for you to feel even more uncomfortable. But, this is my personal opinion, and you and your pdoc will have to weigh the potential benefits against the possible negatives to make this decision.

I don't know your psych drug history but there are, more likely than not, other med candidates with an established track run that your pdoc is probably experienced with, and if asked she will offer what she thinks will be the best med to try next.

Good luck w/ the Saphris, and I hope it will end up working for you. :mad: BTW, it is usually administered twice daily, starting at 5mg b.i.d., so the dosing might be affecting its performance. And, one last tidbit that I forgot to add in the first post - it is stated in the PI sheet(if I remember correctly, heh) that caution should be used when mixing Abilify and Saphris, I believe because of QT prolongation and other undesirable side effects. Keep us updated.
"Shift that fat ass, Harry. But slowly, or you'll swamp the damn boat!"

-- George Washington, 1776

'I don't want to be lonely, I just want to be alone.'

Working Dx: MDD, Bipolar NOS, ADHD, LD-NOS

#6 Tha Dreads

Tha Dreads

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II, ADD-Inattentive, Borderline Personality Disorder
  • Current Meds:Seroquel XR 300mg, Vyvanse 70mg, Welbutrin XL 300mg, Ambien CR 12.5 mg, Synthroid 25mcg, Sulindac

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:06 PM

I've been on it for 3 days. I'm only taking it at night RIGHT before going to bed at the moment. Aside from the mouth numbing HORRID taste it hasn't been too bad. Sleep hits like a brick within 20 minutes of taking it though. I get so sleepy to the point where it's not possible for me to stay awake. I get a little bit of the munchies, but nothing like Sluroquel. The next day there is pretty much zero hangover- and I'm taking it around 1140pm ish and getting up at 6am (getting up better than I have been when I was on NO meds really). It has really helped me so far. It kinda snatched me up out of my mood (I'm BP II) I'd been in for around 2 or so weeks.

However I am uneasy about it being a new drug...but it's my last resort really- and I need to be able to function.
Dx: TMJ, IBS-C, Bipolar II, ADD-Inattentive, Borderline Personality Disorder, unidentified rheumatoid inflammation flare-ups

Rx: Seroquel XR 300mg, Welbutrin XL 300mg, Vyvanse 70mg, Ambien CR 12.5mg, Synthroid 25mcg
Past Rx: Lexapro, Paxil (how I found out I was Bipolar), Abilify, Risperdal, Seroquel, Strattera, Zyprexa, Amitryptamine(sp?), Depakote, Lamictal, Lunesta, Trileptal, Saphris... ehhh is that it??

The worst mistake that you can make is to think you're alive when really you're asleep in life's waiting room.
Waking Life

#7 mj1127

mj1127

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 04:16 PM

It kinda snatched me up out of my mood (I'm BP II) I'd been in for around 2 or so weeks.

However I am uneasy about it being a new drug...but it's my last resort really- and I need to be able to function.

Now, what kind of mood did it help with? Is it still helping? Any new side effects? What dose are you taking?

I chickened out of taking it last night, but maybe tonight.

I'm with you about it being a new drug, and also about running out of options. I really hope it works for you.

MJ

#8 Tha Dreads

Tha Dreads

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Current Meds:Seroquel XR 300mg, Vyvanse 70mg, Welbutrin XL 300mg, Ambien CR 12.5 mg, Synthroid 25mcg, Sulindac

Posted 31 October 2009 - 05:20 PM

It kinda snatched me up out of my mood (I'm BP II) I'd been in for around 2 or so weeks.

Now, what kind of mood did it help with? Is it still helping? Any new side effects? What dose are you taking?

I chickened out of taking it last night, but maybe tonight.

I'm with you about it being a new drug, and also about running out of options. I really hope it works for you.

I was in a very agitated, irritable, depression...kinda my version of hypomania maybe? I was trying to struggle through my teaching internship through all of it and I just couldn't push myself any further. It had gotten to the point where it was either get on a new medicine or not be able to teach.

Thanks for the good wishes though, I really hope it works out too. You should give it a try- you can always just stop taking it if you feel it isn't for you.
Dx: TMJ, IBS-C, Bipolar II, ADD-Inattentive, Borderline Personality Disorder, unidentified rheumatoid inflammation flare-ups

Rx: Seroquel XR 300mg, Welbutrin XL 300mg, Vyvanse 70mg, Ambien CR 12.5mg, Synthroid 25mcg
Past Rx: Lexapro, Paxil (how I found out I was Bipolar), Abilify, Risperdal, Seroquel, Strattera, Zyprexa, Amitryptamine(sp?), Depakote, Lamictal, Lunesta, Trileptal, Saphris... ehhh is that it??

The worst mistake that you can make is to think you're alive when really you're asleep in life's waiting room.
Waking Life

#9 In_Remission_donniedarko

In_Remission_donniedarko
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2009 - 09:43 PM

I'm not getting better and my pdoc is getting frustrated. Now she wants me to try this, or one of several other even more unpalatable options (Equetro, Symbyax, Invega again). Has anyone actually taken Saphris, or know what I can expect from it? Can anyone help me figure out which AAP it's most likely to be like? If it's going to make me exhausted all day, I don't need it. I don't really need to get any fatter either. These are the sub-lingual tablets, so perhaps they might have less weight impact. I am told they taste very, very bad.

My problem currently is a depression of very long duration (over a year) with a lot of anxiety, much of which comes from big-time real-life stress. I haven't had a mixed or manic episode in well over a year - and these seem to be the indications for this drug, so the wisdom of prescribing it for me comes into question. I wonder whether circling "worried" and "tense" on the mood questionnaire made her think I'm cycling up into mixed. Of course, many meds have been used in manners other than those intended, I just wish I had some suggestion at least that this might work for me. This is also AAP number two for me, as she wants me to continue taking Abilify until we find out whether Saphris works; I'm not sure of the wisdom of that either (though of all the meds I've taken, Abilify has had the most efficacy).

So does anyone have any words of wisdom for me?

Weird, my deal is almost the same, however my life stress is pretty mellow, things are good. I just have this curse the universe has given me :mad:

I have not tried abilify the DT thing spooks me plus (as I understand) it a softer AP. So I have been provided Saphris. Im on Lamictal, Divaloprex, Zyprexa. My condition is worsening so Ive needed to look at the next step. Unfortunately this is one of the last few.

500 bucks a month wholesale. Not even cleared for use in Europe yet. yikes.

I start tonight. Let you folks now the low down... should be good as all things are.

#10 In_Remission_donniedarko

In_Remission_donniedarko
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2009 - 12:40 PM

Started it last night. Per my pdoc I would note primary effects quick.

Tastes like complete crap, numbs the mouth, and feels like it foams in the the mouth after it dissolves.

So-
Woke up feeling well rested and happily didnt sleep for 12 hours. None of the Seroquel hang over.
No waking up to any mania.

Only thing, feel kind of stoned and balance is weird. Went for a surf and the balance issue seems more of a feeling then a lapse in motor function.

Ill post more as I go.
dd

#11 jook

jook

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • Diagnoses:BPI & PD
  • Current Meds:Saphris, Klonopin, Provigil, Lunesta

Posted 01 November 2009 - 04:54 PM

Ill post more as I go.

Please do.
Just wondering if there are any advantages to taking Saphris over other AAPs??
Don't know but from what I've read it is similiar to a few (Risperdal/Invega??).
Been on all AAPs except Clozaril. Would be nice to have another choice *just in case*.

jook

Edited by jook, 01 November 2009 - 04:55 PM.

my brain hates agonists and reuptake-inhibitors

former rx= Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Zoloft, Topamax, Lamictal, Depakote, Lithobid, Trileptal, Gabitril,
Zonegran, Seroquel, Risperdal, Invega, Zyprexa, Abilify, Geodon, Ativan, Xanax, Valium, BuSpar, Nuvigil
various combinations with all of the above

#12 In_Remission_donniedarko

In_Remission_donniedarko
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:30 AM

Ill post more as I go.

Please do.
Just wondering if there are any advantages to taking Saphris over other AAPs??
Don't know but from what I've read it is similiar to a few (Risperdal/Invega??).
Been on all AAPs except Clozaril. Would be nice to have another choice *just in case*.

jook

First to be approved with approval for BP I and Shizophrenia. Far less potential for weight gain. So they say. Not a lot of info on it. :mad:

I'm a rapid cycler and my condition is getting worse, so we are trying this. My list grows short.

As for today. Slept all afternoon, feel stoned and my balance feels slurpy.

Not that great. Sure I will adjust...

#13 mj1127

mj1127

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:48 AM

I was in a very agitated, irritable, depression...kinda my version of hypomania maybe? I was trying to struggle through my teaching internship through all of it and I just couldn't push myself any further. It had gotten to the point where it was either get on a new medicine or not be able to teach.

That sounds kind of mixed. Mixed is technically a BPI symptom, but I think there are many out there who are more like BPII with mixed episodes. This is how I ended up BP NOS. If this stuff really works for the indications for which it was approved, then it could be a good match for you. How are things going now?

Weird, my deal is almost the same, however my life stress is pretty mellow, things are good. I just have this curse the universe has given me :mad:

I have not tried abilify the DT thing spooks me plus (as I understand) it a softer AP. So I have been provided Saphris. Im on Lamictal, Divaloprex, Zyprexa. My condition is worsening so Ive needed to look at the next step. Unfortunately this is one of the last few.

500 bucks a month wholesale. Not even cleared for use in Europe yet. yikes.

I start tonight. Let you folks now the low down... should be good as all things are.

How's it working so far? Does your pdoc have you still taking your full dose of Zyprexa, or are you scaling back to start the Saphris?

I've taken it the past two nights, and while I wouldn't say it is entirely without hangover, it is manageable as long as I don't take Neurontin for anxiety first thing in the morning as I usually would (I made this mistake the first day). The good thing is that my anxiety level seems to be somewhat lower since I started Saphris and I don't need Neurontin as often. I think mood may be a bit brighter at times, and the lower periods not quite as low, but it feels early to say for sure.

MJ

#14 Tha Dreads

Tha Dreads

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:39 AM

Sleepyness and food cravings have almost completely went away. How's everyone else doing?

Waking Life

#15 mj1127

mj1127

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:38 AM

I'm sorry to say I'm done. After a few days of what seemed like maybe brighter mood and definitely less anxiety, by Saturday I started noticing twitching around my mouth and a tremor considerably more dramatic than my usual in my right arm. When I mentioned to Mr. MJ my observations and that I thought I would need to stop, he said, "I'm glad, because you're walking like a zombie." I think he means shuffling gait; this was part of why I stopped taking Invega, and he described that the same way. Needless to say, I haven't taken any more. I believe the EPS are resolving. The only new symptoms I have left are a little trouble reading from the monitor and a little bit of a dream-like feeling, like nothing is quite real. That is much less than it was, and while it wasn't particularly practical, it was a little bit pleasant. I'll talk to my pdoc over the next day or two and find out what she wants me to do.

I'm glad to hear your side effects have tapered off. How is your mood doing now?

Edited by mj1127, 09 November 2009 - 09:17 AM.

MJ

#16 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• Chief Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,073 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, Epilepsy NOS, Autism, Agoraphobia/Social Anxiety
  • Current Meds:LTG 200mg, TPM 250mg, protriptyline 30mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 45mg EPA 600

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:25 PM

Tastes like complete crap, numbs the mouth, and feels like it foams in the the mouth after it dissolves.

For a drug that has to be taken sublingually (under the tongue), the least they could do is improve the taste.

Saphris' (asenapine) mechanism of action is pretty interesting looking. According to the PI sheet it blockades practically every major neurotransmitter receptor associated with brain cooties:

Asenapine exhibits high affinity for serotonin 5-HT1A, 5-HT1B, 5-HT2A, 5-HT2B, 5-HT2C, 5-HT5, 5-HT6, and 5-HT7 receptors (Ki values of 2.5, 4.0, 0.06, 0.16, 0.03, 1.6, 0.25, and 0.13 nM), dopamine D2, D3, D4, and D1 receptors (Ki values of 1.3, 0.42, 1.1, and 1.4 nM), α1 and α2-adrenergic receptors (Ki values of 1.2 and 1.2 nM), and histamine H1 receptors (Ki value 1.0 nM), and moderate affinity for H2 receptors (Ki value of 6.2 nM). In in vitro assays asenapine acts as an antagonist at these receptors. Asenapine has no appreciable affinity for muscarinic cholinergic receptors (e.g., Ki value of 8128 nM for M1).

As Neuropsych15 put it as he broke down the published literature currently available on what is now my new favorite blog on neuropscyhopharmacology:

"The interaction of asenapine with each of these receptors occurred at a higher affinity than that for any of the other drugs tested" (10). In other words, Clozapine is for pussies, Asenapine is hung like horse!

The conclusion he reached should make it apparent as to why I think he so rules the pharmacology blogosphere:

That second study (13), had a larger sample size (n=458) and compared asenapine to placebo and haloperidol. Haloperidol match asenapine on the primary measure, but for some reason, haloperidol's effect on negative symptoms were not reported, only asenapine's were (mutherfuckers!).

Saphris is going to be pushed as being good for negative symptoms. That's what I took away from these advertise, err, research articles. I tried to find more data at clinicaltrials.gov (15), but that was fucking pointless (Usually, when I jerk off I have something to show for it).

Dr. Carlat noted how Schering is going out of its way to recruit doctors to speak at seminars touting Saphris' efficacy.

Be that as it may, having a niche drug on the Geodon-Zyprexa-clozapine section of the atypical antipsychotic spectrum is probably a good thing.

First to be approved with approval for BP I and Shizophrenia.

Both Geodon and Abilify hit the market with dual approvals. I think Invega did as well, but that doesn't really count. I think all AAPs will be released in the US approved for both because there is way more money is in bipolar than schizophrenia, but it's probably easier to get an approval for an antipsychotic if the initial trials are for schizophrenia. It's just like anticonvulsants. I doubt Pfizer ever planned on marketing Lyrica for epilepsy.
Jerod Poore - Owner, Founder and Chief Citizen Medical Expert of crazymeds.us
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

Wear my Straitjacket     Batshit Crazy Blog

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

#17 In_Remission_donniedarko

In_Remission_donniedarko
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:41 PM

For a drug that has to be taken sublingually (under the tongue), the least they could do is improve the taste.

Saphris' (asenapine) mechanism of action is pretty interesting looking. According to the PI sheet it blockades practically every major neurotransmitter receptor associated with brain cooties:

Asenapine exhibits high affinity for serotonin 5-HT1A, 5-HT1B, 5-HT2A, 5-HT2B, 5-HT2C, 5-HT5, 5-HT6, and 5-HT7 receptors (Ki values of 2.5, 4.0, 0.06, 0.16, 0.03, 1.6, 0.25, and 0.13 nM), dopamine D2, D3, D4, and D1 receptors (Ki values of 1.3, 0.42, 1.1, and 1.4 nM), α1 and α2-adrenergic receptors (Ki values of 1.2 and 1.2 nM), and histamine H1 receptors (Ki value 1.0 nM), and moderate affinity for H2 receptors (Ki value of 6.2 nM). In in vitro assays asenapine acts as an antagonist at these receptors. Asenapine has no appreciable affinity for muscarinic cholinergic receptors (e.g., Ki value of 8128 nM for M1).

As Neuropsych15 put it as he broke down the published literature currently available on what is now my new favorite blog on neuropscyhopharmacology:

"The interaction of asenapine with each of these receptors occurred at a higher affinity than that for any of the other drugs tested" (10). In other words, Clozapine is for pussies, Asenapine is hung like horse!

The conclusion he reached should make it apparent as to why I think he so rules the pharmacology blogosphere:

That second study (13), had a larger sample size (n=458) and compared asenapine to placebo and haloperidol. Haloperidol match asenapine on the primary measure, but for some reason, haloperidol's effect on negative symptoms were not reported, only asenapine's were (mutherfuckers!).

Saphris is going to be pushed as being good for negative symptoms. That's what I took away from these advertise, err, research articles. I tried to find more data at clinicaltrials.gov (15), but that was fucking pointless (Usually, when I jerk off I have something to show for it).

Dr. Carlat noted how Schering is going out of its way to recruit doctors to speak at seminars touting Saphris' efficacy.

Be that as it may, having a niche drug on the Geodon-Zyprexa-clozapine section of the atypical antipsychotic spectrum is probably a good thing.

First to be approved with approval for BP I and Shizophrenia.

Both Geodon and Abilify hit the market with dual approvals. I think Invega did as well, but that doesn't really count. I think all AAPs will be released in the US approved for both because there is way more money is in bipolar than schizophrenia, but it's probably easier to get an approval for an antipsychotic if the initial trials are for schizophrenia. It's just like anticonvulsants. I doubt Pfizer ever planned on marketing Lyrica for epilepsy.

Hey Jerod!
Thanks for the feedback and reply...
Sorry for lagging on a response.

On the 4th day I had to stop. It made me uber manic and sweat like a pig.
Really disappointed. I can only speak for myself but I HOPE for that panacea that will free me lol
I dont want to discourage anyone from taking it.
However it is powerful feeling. At my size 6'2" 200lbs it was hitting me hard. Drunk munkeee and totally stoned.

Lastly the packaging is nuts. Clearly dont want anyone messing with it.
Damn maybe if they mellowed out the packaging they could cut us some slack on the price.
My pharmacist (independent) told me it is $500 for my beginning dosage monthly.
I would be on twice maybe 3 times that amount.

Bend over and say aaah!! Shering-Plough. right on.

Thanks for the response again Jerod!
dd

#18 mj1127

mj1127

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:40 PM

I'm out too after having developed EPS; you'll find the whole story here. How long did it take for the effects to go away after you stopped? My mouth and arm aren't twitching anymore, but I'm still pretty out of it (e.g. almost blew a stop sign this morning.)

MJ

#19 In_Remission_donniedarko

In_Remission_donniedarko
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:47 PM

I'm out too after having developed EPS; you'll find the whole story here. How long did it take for the effects to go away after you stopped? My mouth and arm aren't twitching anymore, but I'm still pretty out of it (e.g. almost blew a stop sign this morning.)

EPS is the twitching right? Sorry for being ignant :mad: ...and that is crazy because I ran 2 lights in my car and have been pretty out of it. Im 4 days off.
Powerful stuff.

My bad on a new thread should of just posted on the other more.

#20 Tha Dreads

Tha Dreads

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:45 PM

My mood is still doing a lot better. I'm sorry to hear abotu your side effects. I've never experienced anything of that sort with AAP's. Well, Geodon made my nystagmus (where my eyes would jump maybe once a month or so) happen more frequently- hourly whenever I was trying to focus with my eyes.

Maybe it was interacting with another med you were on?

Waking Life

#21 mj1127

mj1127

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:09 AM

I'm glad to hear your mood is still better. Actually, I saw pdoc today and she thinks mine is too. Could be. If I had been still taking Abilify like I was supposed to (only did that one day, made me too sleepy), then maybe I'd think it was an interaction, but I think it's just EPS - par for the course with antipsychotics. Either you're lucky and you don't get them, or you aren't lucky and you do. I can take Abilify, which a lot of people can't, and now I know I can't take Saphris. Oh well.

I hope it continues to work for you.

MJ

#22 mj1127

mj1127

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:29 AM

EPS is the twitching right? Sorry for being ignant :mad: ...and that is crazy because I ran 2 lights in my car and have been pretty out of it. Im 4 days off.
Powerful stuff.

My bad on a new thread should of just posted on the other more.

Yes, EPS is twitching, shuffling too. I bet it would be really entertaining to watch, less so to do. Happily, that's all gone. However, my driving still isn't what it could be and I still feel spacey. I saw my pdoc and she said it would take a few days, but today is 6 days off. So how are you now?

And don't worry about starting another thread, the mods will combine them if they see fit.

MJ

#23 Tha Dreads

Tha Dreads

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 06:15 PM

I'm still side effect free minus the appetite increase and gaining a few pounds (around 4lbs). It has done wonders for me, hope it doesn't poop out.

Waking Life

#24 mj1127

mj1127

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:12 PM

I am so glad to hear it is still working for you. I also had an appetite increase but I wasn't on it long enough to gain anything.

MJ

#25 In_Remission_donniedarko

In_Remission_donniedarko
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:20 PM

I tried again, couldnt do it. Wasted, over sleeping, stoned feeling.
The compass spins again...

#26 In_Remission_KatBurgler

In_Remission_KatBurgler
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:59 AM

OK, this is my first post here on CrazyTalk, but I went searching for info on Saphris and it led me here. I'm on day 4 of Saphris, with marked improvement over Geodon.

I was well managed on Seroquel for almost two years when it started to wear off, and I've now been on 6-7 meds since October 6th trying to get some balance back.

1st day on Saphris (5mg) I was a little manic, so I fine tuned the dosing on the second dose (dissolving it on your cheek vs under your tongue makes you absorb 20% more according to my pdoc) and took it later in the evening (before bedtime instead of mid-afternoon) and I have been much more controlled since making those adjustments.

It definitely makes me drowsy, but not so much that I can get a full night worth of sleep so I'm taking Lunesta (3mg)too.

My major issue with the drug is how much it is going to cost me, being as it is so new and not yet covered by my insurance. I will say that I like the drug enough that I've spent the day running numbers to make sure I can somehow afford it.

Hope this helps anyone else looking for Saphris effects. I will update again if it takes a turn for the better or for the worst.

#27 In_Remission_missmeggo

In_Remission_missmeggo
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:05 PM

I was coming here to ask about Saphris, anyway, when I saw this thread. My pdoc just put me on it Tuesday, taking me directly off Geodon (I wasn't having problems with it except for the sometimes phantom noise, but he apparently wasn't happy; I could deal with it) and putting me right on Saphris with no tapering down or up (I was on 180 mg Geodon, kept low because of previous pretty bad TD from the hideous Invega): straight to 10 mg morning and 10 mg evening. I've taken it as-directed and faithfully; I've missed one dose early on because I forgot the new pill, but that's it.

I know nothing about this drug except the mostly unhelpful official stuff on the Internet, and I'm looking for help from people who've taken it / are taking it.

So far: tastes utterly foul, makes me want to eat a buffet, caused me to stay in bed for three days straight (except for aforementioned eating), generally lacking a will to get out of bed and do anything. I'm still hearing things. No changes in sleeping behavior.

I'm the third person my pdoc has put on this, and he described miracles for the other two. Obviously, not so for me.

Anyone been here, done that? I read the thread above, so I know that much. Had to quit? If you quit, why? Still on it? Why is it worth sticking it out if so?

Replies much appreciated.

#28 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• Chief Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,073 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, Epilepsy NOS, Autism, Agoraphobia/Social Anxiety
  • Current Meds:LTG 200mg, TPM 250mg, protriptyline 30mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 45mg EPA 600

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:22 PM

I merged the two Saphris topics, as they were overlapping each other.
Jerod Poore - Owner, Founder and Chief Citizen Medical Expert of crazymeds.us
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

Wear my Straitjacket     Batshit Crazy Blog

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

#29 Maddy

Maddy

I <3 my meds!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Diagnoses:undifferentiated schizophrenia
  • Current Meds:Fanapt, Topamax, Ativan, Celexa

Posted 16 January 2010 - 12:15 PM

I'm trying out Saphris. My pdoc told me that the other patient he has on it didn't really notice any taste at all. LIAR!

I'd rather chew Keppra and aluminum foil. BLARGH!
Not to mention the mouth numbing/burning sensation.
UGH. I can only compare that to the wintry freshness of mace.

I'm up to 5mg in the AM and 5mg at bed. Pdoc wants me on 10mg AM and 10mg bedtime.
At 5mg I'm fucking up my bed horribly. I hope it doesn't get worse at 10mg.
Forget Youth. What This World Could Use Is a Fountain of Smart.

#30 mj1127

mj1127

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 12:41 PM

Anyone who claims not to notice the taste and and other mouth unpleasantness is either lying or crazier than any of us here. The only thing I can say for this stuff is that, despite the problems I had with it, it did seem to give me a bit of a boost in mood that lasted, unlike anything else I had tried recently. I hope it does something for you.

MJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog