Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting mugs
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection mugs
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar mugs
I <3 Wellbutrin mug
I <3 Wellbutrin mugs
Photo

Lamictal And Muscle Aches & Pain

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#31 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• Chief Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,026 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, Epilepsy NOS, Aspergers, Agoraphobia/Social Anxiety
  • Current Meds:LTG 300mg, TPM 325mg, protriptyline 60mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 60mg EPA 600

Posted 24 August 2008 - 11:24 AM

have u had enough input to concude if most peope get past the mucscle pai over time

If they do something about it.

and if they do what the typical time period is?

Two to three weeks if they do something about it. Otherwise it's random, if the muscle pain goes away at all.
Jerod Poore - Owner, Founder and Chief Citizen Medical Expert of crazymeds.us
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

Wear my Straitjacket     Batshit Crazy Blog

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons
Batshit Crazy buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Batshit Crazy buttons
Medicated For Your Protection buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Medicated For Your Protection buttons
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons

#32 In_Remission_maggsunn

In_Remission_maggsunn
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2008 - 05:10 PM

have u had enough input to concude if most peope get past the mucscle pai over time

If they do something about it.

and if they do what the typical time period is?

Two to three weeks if they do something about it. Otherwise it's random, if the muscle pain goes away at all.

What do u suggest to do about it?
I have been on 300 mg now for a week (down from 400mg)
the pain is still bad.
pain is allover, but worse where i do a workout or where i have old injuries (upper right back,right shoulders and lower right back)
the old injuries were barely bothering me before
my primary care doc told me to try to go down to 250 or 300 a couple of weeks ago
I hve never had this kind of pain before!!
I am afraid it is dangerous to me after reading the fibromyagia web sites!
have u ever heard of paxil and lamictal being a mix that leads to muscle pain?

Thank U

#33 lostanddelirious

lostanddelirious

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Diagnoses:PTSD, Mood Disorder NOS, Epilepsy

Posted 30 August 2008 - 05:56 PM

I shattered and dislocated my ankle and had to have 3 reconstruction surgeries.
This happened right after I ended my 15 year love affair with depakote and I started lamictal (great drug by the way) to take its place.
I can blame meds. For example, folic acid depletion from the depakote, etc. Or lamictal for muscle weakness. But its not worth it.
Basically, what I am trying to say is as long as you don't get a side effect that disables you worse than what u r taking the pill for, then the side effects can be pushed under the rug.
Especially for the epileptics. U have no other options most of the time.
Current rx: Lamictal-500mg, Keppra-1500mg, Lithium-1200mg, Risperdal-1mg, Ativan-prn, Risperdal-prn, Geodon-20mg

Past rx: Tegretol, Dilantin, Depakote (15 yrs.), Zoloft, Abilify (3 trials), Celexa, Geodon, Topamax, Seroquel, Cogentin

#34 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,026 posts
  • Current Meds:LTG 300mg, TPM 325mg, protriptyline 60mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 60mg EPA 600

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:47 AM

What do u suggest to do about it?

As I posted last time:

Chalk this up to the muscle pain. Increase in dosage plus three weeks of not working out. Two questions:

1) Did you stretch before working out?

2) Did you work out at the same level of intensity as you did three weeks ago?

And

Regular stretching is the cure.

I am afraid it is dangerous to me after reading the fibromyagia web sites!

It is hardly dangerous. The wild-ass guess we have around here is:

Topamax and Lamictal both cause really nasty muscle pain.
Topamax and Lamictal are the only two AEDs approved to treat Lennox-Gastaut.
One symptom of Lennox-Gastaut is atonic seizures, where all of your muscles suddenly go limp.
The muscle pain you feel is Lamictal keeping your muscles from going limp all of a sudden. That you don't need that feature is why it hurts so damn much.
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

#35 Clarice

Clarice

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Diagnoses:BiPolar, Panic Disorder, Agoraphobic
  • Current Meds:Lamictal,Klono,Vit D,Zocar,asprin,Wellbutrin,Xanax as needed

Posted 26 September 2008 - 05:50 PM

Since this thread is already here I have a question relating to the topic - hope this is the right place.

Unfortunately, due to unmanageable side effects and lack of effectiveness no matter how hard I tried, I am coming off Lithium.
At the same time I am slowly increasing my dose of Lamictal. I have been on 300mg for quite a while and increased that 50 mg on Monday and will add another 50 mg this coming Monday for a total of 400mg a day - 200mg am & 200mg pm.

Yesterday afternoon I noticed my legs felt achy. Mostly the back of my thighs as if I had been doing squats. Today it is much worse and really ticking me off. I cannot think of anything I did physically that would make my legs hurt.

Now reading this page I am seeing others who have had muscle pain while titrating up but mainly when beginning Lamictal.

Would increasing my dosage after all this time cause the same problem? I never had it in the beginning whatsoever.

#36 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,026 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 07:53 AM

Now reading this page I am seeing others who have had muscle pain while titrating up but mainly when beginning Lamictal.

Would increasing my dosage after all this time cause the same problem? I never had it in the beginning whatsoever.

You bet. Happens all the time with all of the anticonvulsants. Getting a side effect you've never had before, even one of those that is common to just starting the med, when upping the dosage after a long time is one of those things that makes anticonvulsants too weird and wacky for a lot of shrinks and why they like to prescribe antipsychotics as monotherapy.

It's just as much of a coin toss as to if it will go away on its own or if you'll have to do the stretching exercises to deal with it.

#37 Rayjean

Rayjean

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 07:58 AM

I've had muscle pains, particularly leg aching, off and on since being on Lamictal. At times, I think I can't handle it and then it goes away. I just live with it and I'll be honest, every month or so, I've decided I have to take about 3 slow, down relaxing days....for physical reasons and probably mental too! That seems to help.

#38 In_Remission_auntjess77

In_Remission_auntjess77
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:00 AM

I have been on lamictal since 2003, not long after, I had so much pain. Never did I realize it was the lamictal. I use to try to stretch, but it would hurt so bad. my calfs are so tight, it hurts just to straighten up my toes. and my neck is probably the worst. Well, actually... like a previous poster noted, if the side effects are easier to deal with than what you are treating, it's all good. GOOD NEWS. I joined the YMCA, and they set me up with a weight lifting routine on the machines. I do 8 different machines. In under 20 minutes, and I am pain free. I am not gobbling motrin all day. and I notice if I miss more than 2 days, the tightness comes back. For me, the key seems to be, stretching with the resistance of the weights, systemactically. And most days I do a cardio activity. Almost makes me laugh to think of all the chiropractor visits, physical therapy, and even an MRI. could have bought an entire gym.

Pleasure to meet everyone,
*jess

#39 In_Remission_Cassady

In_Remission_Cassady
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:08 PM

I did not read all of the comments on this, I just don't have the time with two little girls. so if someone else posted about this sorry for being repetitive.

I was experiencing a lot of body aches. I noticed that I was stretching a lot and flexing different muscles unintentionally. I asked my doc and she told me it's called akathisia or restlessness. Anyway the cure is Benedryl. It seems to help with the anxious feelings I was having also.

So if you're experiencing muscle pain look up akathisia. It can be helped while your body adjusts to the meds.

#40 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,301 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 400, CLZ 2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.5-1

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:54 PM

I did not read all of the comments on this, I just don't have the time with two little girls. so if someone else posted about this sorry for being repetitive.

I was experiencing a lot of body aches. I noticed that I was stretching a lot and flexing different muscles unintentionally. I asked my doc and she told me it's called akathisia or restlessness. Anyway the cure is Benedryl. It seems to help with the anxious feelings I was having also.

So if you're experiencing muscle pain look up akathisia. It can be helped while your body adjusts to the meds.

Except that the muscle pain from Lamictal isn't akathisia; it is a side effect of Lamictal being an anti-convulsant. My Pdoc tried to blow smoke up my ass about the pains as well, but my neuro knew what was going on: just like Jerod says, it is a drug designed to keep the floppy in check, and sometimes it goes a bit overboard on the "lets make sure these muscles don't release" part.

Dymphna

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#41 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,026 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:18 AM

You didn't have to read this topic. You could have looked up akathisia via the handy search feature we have. We have topics about it all over the place.

just like Jerod says, it is a drug designed to keep the floppy in check, and sometimes it goes a bit overboard on the "lets make sure these muscles don't release" part.

I doubt if Lamictal was designed to treat Lennox-Gastaut (LGS) per se, as there's no money in it. That it happens to work on LGS is just gravy for GSK and a blessing for those having to live with LGS.

#42 In_Remission_Scooby

In_Remission_Scooby
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2009 - 11:42 PM

I had some muscle pain, mostly in the legs and sides as I worked my way up to 200mgs. I don't think my experience was too out of the ordinary from what I have read here and elsewhere.

On the other hand, coming off the Lamictal was a totally different story for me. I worked myself down 25mgs per week and the aches and pains were pretty bad. When I was about to drop from 100mgs to 75mgs I decided to cut it cold turkey. After about a week to a week and a half, the aches and pains subsided.

#43 heatherdn

heatherdn

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bi-polar Spectrum disorder
  • Current Meds:50mg Lamictal, 5mg Abilify, 1mg Ativan

Posted 21 November 2009 - 03:36 PM

Hi all,

I have increased my Lamictal to 300mg about 4 days ago. I was previously on this dosage but had the same problem so we decreased it down to 200mg. However after a day of 200mg I started crying at everything and was scared to death that my depression was returning. So my doctor increased it back up to 300mg. NOW I feel physically aweful! I copied this from another post "Lamictal's Not So Common Side Effects: Lamictal (lamotrigine) is earning a reputation for muscle aches, everything from just a twinge in your neck or back to full-body aches that make you wonder if you were possessed by some spirit that made you participate in a triathalon the day before and have no memory of it". This fits me to a T. My question here is could 300mg be too much for my body to handle and when we decreased my mood dropped only because of the decrease in meds and I didn't let it level out? Please help!

Thanks,
Heather
Current Meds: Lamictal 50mg, Abilify 5mg, Ativan 1mg

Past meds: Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro, Paxil, Lamictal, Seroquel, Risperdal, Ativan, Abilify, Luvox, Wellbutrin, Lithium

#44 Bipolar Bear

Bipolar Bear

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I or II, depending on who you ask
  • Current Meds:Seroquel 200, Ultram, Vyvanse 50 mg, klonopin .5 mg prn

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:02 PM

There's a lot in this post, and in other stickied posts, about Lamictal and body aches.

One popular belief is that it's due to hyponatrimia/dehydration. Make sure you're getting enough to drink, add some gatorade, see if you can stick it out. No, you're not the only one. Yes, it can go away.

Edited by Bipolar Bear, 24 November 2009 - 10:03 PM.

Remember kids, Snape didn't kill Dumbledore, Michael Gambon did.

"Ah, war. God's way of making Americans learn geography." ~ Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

Dx: Bipolar Something (depends on who you ask...), ADHD- inattentive type, some anxiety stuff, PTSD
Alt Dx: "Nutty as squirrel poo." (quote from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows)
Rx:Seroquel- 200 mg at bedtime, Vyvanse 50 mg, Klonopin .5 mg prn

Favorite things: Harry Potter, Seroquel, flannel sheets, my Tempur-pedic bed, pajama pants, massage, music, reading, Coca-Cola, Starbucks, sleep

Dr. Wilson: Beauty often seduces us on the road to truth.
Dr. Gregory House: And triteness kicks us in the nads.

#45 classactrachael

classactrachael

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bi-polar, OCD, Social Phobia
  • Current Meds:Lithium 900, Lamictal 100, Seraquel 50, Ambien CR 12.5, Ativan 1 mg as needed

Posted 01 May 2010 - 02:24 PM

I hurt. Everywhere. I feel like I've done a triathlon and have the flu everyday. I have tried Gatorade and stretching. I feel like an old lady when I walk and to get up off the floor after playing with my kids I need something to pull my self up on. I am super sensitive to med. side effects and I have stayed on it longer than my Pdoc wanted me to because it has helped stabilize me and I wanted to push myself as far as I could go. I needed this to work. I think I've gone about as far as I can though.

#46 classactrachael

classactrachael

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bi-polar, OCD, Social Phobia
  • Current Meds:Lithium 900, Lamictal 100, Seraquel 50, Ambien CR 12.5, Ativan 1 mg as needed

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:42 AM

I am on 200 mg of Lamictal. I was experiencing the most horrible muscle pain until I started taking it at night just after I upped it to 200 - I felt like a whole new person. Could walk normally again, wasn't in excruciating pain, and the overall tightness went away. Don't know if it was the upped dose or the taking it at night but I am betting on the switch to nights. Anyway, two nights ago I went swimming. I pushed myself too hard for just starting out (doing sprints across the pool for a half hour) and knew I would be in some pain, but never thought it would be anything like this. An excruciating headache woke me up in the middle of the night that night, all I could see was white light and it felt like I was being stabbed inside my head. I fell right back asleep but when I woke up I could barely move. Everything hurt right down to my fingers and toes. Horrible headache and a stiff neck, and I felt like I had the worst hangover ever. All this continuing today. I have always been a swimmer, though I haven't swam in a while, I was on my high school swim team and was a lifeguard in my teens and I know what it means to push myself. But like I said - nothing like this. What's going on? Too much with the meds I'm on? Does it have something to do with the anti-convulsant properties of Lamictal?

#47 creepy

creepy

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD
  • Current Meds:200mg sertraline 300mg lamotrigine

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:56 PM

Sounds a lot like extremes of the blood pressure weirdness I get if Im inactive for awhile then suddenly push myself really hard. I get super migraines and all sorts of bad stuff.
An unusual thing Ive heard about is people with lamictal headaches having luck with beta blockers and stims, which raises the possiblity that they are related to a change in blood pressure somehow.
Zombiez ate my brain
and spat it back out, blecch...

#48 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,026 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:41 PM

Does it have something to do with the anti-convulsant properties of Lamictal?

When it comes to the muscle aches, that's my guess.

Two anticonvulsants are notorious for extreme muscle pain: Lamictal and Topamax. Two anticonvulsants are effective in treating the atonic, or drop seizures associated with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome: Lamictal and Topamax.

As for the migraine-like headache, that's just Lamictal being a bitch. That it hit after swimming may have been a coincidence, or there was an interaction with the chlorine, or whatever they use, in the pool. Or it's a blood pressure thing like creepy wrote. With Lamictal it could be anything.

#49 Suzani

Suzani

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Diagnoses:Agitated Depression, ADHD
  • Current Meds:Cymbalta, Vyvanse, xanax ER, trandolapril, metropolol, ambien

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:20 PM

Has anyone developed a problem with muscle pain/weakness from lamicatal ONLY AFTER A PARTICULAR OTHER DRUG IS ADDED TO LAMICTAL ?

I'm having severe muscle cramps in my thighs. This began a few months ago when I started taking Saphris + fluoxetine + lamictal. Dropped Saphris. Improved (no longer too weak to walk)but pain, weakness continues - I thought it could be due to muscle atrophy, but now I think that can't still be the problem. I reached a level of less pain/weakness, but it has stayed at that level for a couple of months.

Major med change to Cymbalta + strattera instead of fluoxetine while "recovering" from Saphris muscle pain.

I've taken Cymbalta in the past with no problem, but at that time was not taking lamictal. I've taken lamictal for over a year with no muscle pain. (I am leaving abilify out of this because I had this pain b/f starting Abilify 2 weeks ago.)

I want to discontinue something as I feel something is POISONING me. Pdoc said Cymbalta most likely culprit - I suspect that when lamictal was mixed with Cymbalta, something happened that is keeping me in this state. (Because Cymbalta and lamictal alone were each ok.)

In past, Cymbalta/strattera put me into complete remission, so I'd prefer not to drop Cymbalta. I've never been sure that lamictal was doing anything positive anyway - but pdoc says some study showed lamictal prolongs time an SSRI works before pooping out.

Honestly, I feel like flushing all my pills only I'm sure they would clog my toilet.

#50 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts
  • Diagnoses:epilepsy, bipolar 2, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's (primary), sensitive to medication
  • Current Meds:lamotrigine, paroxetine, asthma/allergy meds, meds for Raynaud's

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:05 AM

Please don't flush your pills down the toilet. There's already enough medication residue in the water supply.

I hope someone can answer your question.

"Note also how we don’t worry about taking medicine for pain the way we often do about taking 'happiness' pills like antidepressants. We worry that by artificially changing our mood we risk not being 'us.' But no one feels inauthentic because he took ibuprofen to relieve his back pain."

--"Happiness and Its Discontents," essay in the New York Times by Daniel M. Haybron, the author of the book, Happiness: A Very Short Introduction.

"What's your true self and what's your fake self. Yeah, and where are you on that scale? And how's it working for you? And sometimes you got to go with the fake one, and sometimes faking it 'til [you] make it is the best path, ... I mean sometimes for ... anybody I've known who's struggling ... you got to put your feet on the ground every day and say, you know, don't embrace the struggle, you're going to sink like a rock."

-- David O. Russell, the director of Silver Linings Playbook, in an interview with Terry Gross

(I took out most of the "you knows.")

#51 In_Remission_veniceca

In_Remission_veniceca
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:31 AM

I started on Lamictal for MDD in September as an addition to 300mg/Wellbutrin and 30mg/Lexapro per day, which were keeping me alive but not doing much to alleviate my everyday feelings of despair and recurrent SI. The Lamictal was an effing miracle once I got up to 200mg...one day I was crying in my kitchen all morning, and the next day I was FINE, and continued to be so throughout the xmas season...another effing miracle. Got some headaches and back pain at 200mg, so I went down to 150 with my pdoc's blessing. Began slowly titrating down off the Lexapro, again with the approval of pdoc, and was off it completely and feeling great for about 2 weeks, and then began experiencing bad nausea New Year's Eve (wasn't partying at all) which I'm still experiencing on and off. Plus really bad neck pain, back cracking, and lots of crying, although no SI or my typical "black cloud". I know Lamictal is a tricky mistress, and I'm wondering...am I on too much? Too little? If I titrate back up to 200mg, will it alleviate the aches and nausea or make them worse? Might the Lexapro have been acting as a buffer against the physical effects of the Lamictal and possibly enhancing its wonderful therapeutic properties? What have other peoples' experiences been? I'd rather not go back on the Lexapro due to the pesky sexual side effects but I will if I have to. Sorry about the long post.

#52 RileyFaye

RileyFaye

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression, Mood lability, Chronic pain,
  • Current Meds:Cymbalta 60 mg PO daily, Deplin daily

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:56 PM

I just came across this thread and decided to join the site just for the sake of replying.

I have dealt with depression and chronic pain for years and years... but nothing as bad as the last couple of them.

In order to stabilize my mood and help with the pain, the doctor took me off of the Effexor (BRUTAL transition btw) and put me on Lamictal and Cymbalta. WOW what a difference it made for my mood. For the first time in my life I felt "normal," or "stable." I"ve been on this combo for the past three years (with minor additions and subtractions of other medications and dosages here and there)

Life finally evened out for me and I cut back from 300mg to 200mg, and now to 100mg... ideally trying to take myself off it. (I'm sure we've all been there)

Anyway, the back pain had gotten EXCRUCIATING to the point where I was saying "If I was to attempt to kill myself, it would be so I didn't have to live in so much pain." I asked the doctor if the lamictal could be causing the pain and he said something along the lines of "It can in some people... but you had pain before."

Regardless, I decided to take a shot in the dark and jump down to 100mg. I can't say that I'm pain free, but I CAN say that I don't want to die because of it anymore.

I often wonder how many of my ailments are simply medication side effects.

I'm glad I found you guys, thanks!

#53 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts
  • Diagnoses:epilepsy, bipolar 2, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's (primary), sensitive to medication

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:19 AM

I'm glad I found you guys, thanks!

Glad you found us, too. Gotta ask, though: What's up with the "(and the rest that I keep skipping)" in the list of medications you're currently taking?

"Note also how we don’t worry about taking medicine for pain the way we often do about taking 'happiness' pills like antidepressants. We worry that by artificially changing our mood we risk not being 'us.' But no one feels inauthentic because he took ibuprofen to relieve his back pain."

--"Happiness and Its Discontents," essay in the New York Times by Daniel M. Haybron, the author of the book, Happiness: A Very Short Introduction.

"What's your true self and what's your fake self. Yeah, and where are you on that scale? And how's it working for you? And sometimes you got to go with the fake one, and sometimes faking it 'til [you] make it is the best path, ... I mean sometimes for ... anybody I've known who's struggling ... you got to put your feet on the ground every day and say, you know, don't embrace the struggle, you're going to sink like a rock."

-- David O. Russell, the director of Silver Linings Playbook, in an interview with Terry Gross

#54 RileyFaye

RileyFaye

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:56 AM

Ah. I didn't realize how that sounds until you pointed it out. I'll have to change it.

I haven't stopped taking anything without letting the MD know. There has been a bunch of things prescribed that I've given a couple of weeks and then have stopped. Lyrica in attempts to help the pain... the best way to describe it is that it "makes me dumb," I would be in a middle of a sentence and forget what I was talking about. Triliptal with was rx'd for jaw pain which was tmj/trigeminal. I try to avoid the "throw a pill at it." Train of thought, and to take what I need to survive, and do so happily and with a good quality of life. It's not always easy to find a balance.

I have a huge problem with a lot of these medications causing cognitive dulling. A lot of them I've tried for a bit but realized how much they slowed down my mind and stopped. I'm in the medical field and have to be sharp, it'd be dangerous to be anything else.

I think with the less lamictal I feel myself being "more impulsive" (if that makes any sense), but not to the point where it's channeled anything beyond taking up horseback riding lessons to channel the extra energy into something healthy.

#55 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:24 AM

I see, Riley. You're better off listing the meds you've tried that didn't work for you in the signature section of your profile. That way, people will know not to suggest the failed meds as alternatives to your current ones.

Neurontin and I didn't get along at all, btw. In addition to making me feel dumb and depressed, I felt like was having a constant asthma attack while I was on it. So, no Neurontin/gabapentin/Lyrica (or their future relatives) for me!

Unless something's causing unbearable side effects, though, it's best to give a med a good try (six weeks, rather than two) before ditching it. Sometimes your brain and body will get used to a med over time, and the side effects will fade--even the cognitive ones.

#56 VAL

VAL

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,105 posts
  • Diagnoses:BPII
  • Current Meds:See Signature

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:29 PM

Riley,

I wasn't one hundred percent sure but did the muscle aches from lamictal start when you were at the high dose or as you went down? I ask because I have no real problems (as many do) titrating up on Lamictal but when I tapered down from 250mg to 180mg, I had pretty severe muscle aches,. My pdoc accepted it was from the Lamictal even though I have chronic pain and have been using narcotics for years.....this was a very different, very distinct addition of muscle pain, even worse than my fibromyalgia.

Current Meds: Lamictal 325mg, Wellbutrin XL 450mg, Neurontin 900mg, Klonopin 1.5mg, Saphris 10mg, Trazodone up to 200mg, Prozosin 2mg, Zyprexa 5mg PRN and Inderal 20mg PRN
Past Meds: Siniquan, Elavil, Imipramine, Zoloft, Seroquel, Abilify, Nardil, Emsam, Rozerem and Ambien
Current Non-psych: Soma 350mg PRN, Norco 10mg/325 PRN, Percocet 10mg/325 PRN, Advair, Nasonex, Ventolin PRN, Allegra, Avalide, Dexilant, Levothroxine, Pravachol

#57 lobotomy1012

lobotomy1012

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Diagnoses:OCD; GAD; Major depressive disorder (recurrent); Dysthymic disorder; Horrible insomnia, Migraines
  • Current Meds:Klonopin 4 mgs pm, Topamax 125 mgs, Spironolactone 100 mgs, Trying Lamictal 150 mgs.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

So I read this whole thread...is joint (knee) and tendon (achilles) pain along with specific places that are painful along the sides and top of my knees and ankles the same thing? My muscles feel fine. I can't quite figure it out but it started day 10 (2 days ago) of 25 mg. of Lamictal. (Which I know is hardly any.) I already have back issues (muscular) so after this thread I would expect the pain to focus there...and I guess it still might. Right now my joints are just so owie! :blush:

Edited by lobotomy1012, 09 October 2012 - 08:18 PM.

Tried: Ativan (I did love you once); Buspar; Prozac (oh, my tummy); Cymbalta; Paxil; Remeron (Seriously? Still not awake and that was months ago); Gabapentin (Will never be the same again); Wellbutrin (That med. tried to kill me); Zoloft; Lexapro; Nortriptyline; Clonidine; Ziprasidone; Seroquel XR; Lamictal; Trazadone
Trying: Effexor, I can't wait
Taking: Klonopin 4 mgs. PM (For sleep), Topamax 125 mgs. (My migraine drug with wings, love you!), and Spironolactone 100 mgs.

"Always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question."

- e.e. cummings

#58 Lucky

Lucky

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Diagnoses:dysthymia

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:29 PM

Discussing side effects is so strange. So many of these effects might be attributable to other things. I've never before had any back pain, muscle pain, or joint pain, and I guess you could say that since taking Lamotrigine I've been a little bit sore. Also, a small, funny knee pang started where before there never was one. So, lobotomy1012, I just really don't know. I thought it was mostly psychosomatic (my dosage is so low that I often wonder if it's mostly a placebo anyway) and started treating my kind of overall ache (emotional and physical) with a regular massage appointment. I've been taking MSM/glucosamine for my knee and am seeing if the issue will resolve or if I simply need to go to yoga class more regularly. Yoga is pretty important for your joints. It "soaks" your joints. Lately, too, I'm trying to drink more water than usual.

previously on lamotrigine (50 mg)

#59 RileyFaye

RileyFaye

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:54 AM

"Lucky," I attributed my pain to a thousand different things. Tried a ton of different medications to get rid of it. All of which just made me sleepy. I was spending a FORTUNE on massages, sometimes going twice a week. Don't get me wrong, I still have aches and pains (maybe fibro?) but not NEARLY as bad as it was on the lamictal. I was AMAZED when I stopped taking it and my back stopped spasming up the point the tears. I wrote it off as stress/water/etc. never thought it would be the meds, but it definitely was! So who knows? Maybe you could just have aches and pains that are unrelated. Massages, yoga and water are all healthy things to do for your body anyway. I just hate to see someone in pain if it can be prevented.

#60 mrabe

mrabe

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:Major Depression
  • Current Meds:Escitalopram Oxolate 20 mg, Lamotrigine 200mg, Clonazepam 2 mg

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:40 AM

I've been taking Lamictal for over a year.  Over the last month I've been getting sore muscles in my hips, thighs, calves and back.  My Pdoc says that it doesn't just come on like that, I would have had it from the beginning.

I've just seen my GP and she is running a bunch of blood tests to see if it could be anything else.  Haven't gotten the results back yet

Has anyone had it come on after taking it for a while?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog

Just a few designs from our Crazymeds' Clothes Line. See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$43. Or search the Amazon for your retail Nirvana.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy shirts
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting shirts
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Medicated For Your Protection shirts
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirts