Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting mugs
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection mugs
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar mugs
I <3 Wellbutrin mug
I <3 Wellbutrin mugs

Tripping On Zoloft

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_sahmuald

In_Remission_sahmuald
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2009 - 06:08 PM

I just started a course of zoloft (well, generic brand of sertraline - Eleva) four days ago at 25mg per day, and last night I had the most intense 'tripped out' druggy feeling. It was seriously like being on acid. My girlfriend, as soon as I walked in the door, said 'you look totally drug fucked'...
I experienced the following side effects:
Intense derealisation, Sensitive skin, strange visual disturbances, rapid temperature changes, dilated pupils (but still able to constrict), intense confusion, lack of concentration, time distortion (walking ten metres felt like it took half an hour), loud tinitus, nausea, and every time I yawned I was overcome with intense sadness and nearly burst into tears. There were a bunch of other little things, but put together this seems to almost exactly describe an acid trip (any connection on how they work on the brain?)...
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else had experienced anything like this, and if they go away, or if it means stop immediately.
I'm trying to contact my psych, but can't get onto him at the moment. I won't take another pill until I do.
I've never taken meds before, but a few years ago I did take a whole lot of hallucinogenic//psychadelic drugs...
Anyway, let me know what y'all think?
thank you

Edited by sahmuald, 27 August 2009 - 06:47 PM.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons
Batshit Crazy buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Batshit Crazy buttons
Medicated For Your Protection buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Medicated For Your Protection buttons
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons

#2 creepy

creepy

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD
  • Current Meds:200mg sertraline 300mg lamotrigine

Posted 28 August 2009 - 11:15 AM

Wow. That is really unusual. Ever taken an SSRI before this one? It should work on serotonin like any other. I wonder if you are just that sensitive to it? Or maybe youre taking something else thats blocking metabolization?
Sounds to me like you should drop it ASAP, but thats better left to you and your doc.
I took zoloft and it just made me angry.. nothing like what you describe
Zombiez ate my brain
and spat it back out, blecch...

#3 In_Remission_sahmuald

In_Remission_sahmuald
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:00 PM

I have never taken another SSRI. Maybe I am very sensitive to it... I wasn't taking anything else that may have effected it. I mean, aside from hayfever tablets (the one that starts with Fexo - I forget it's full name - it's in telfast).
I stopped taking it, but still haven't been able to get onto my doctor (he just left for France)...
Seriously freaky shit.
I'm not gonna take any more until I can get in to see someone else...

#4 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 400, CLZ 2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.5-1

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:37 PM

Well, I doesn't appear that it was the combo of the Fexofenadine and the Sertaline:

Fexofenadine Hydrochloride ± A New Anti-Histaminic Drug

It seems that concomitant administration offexofenadine with anti-fungal agents (such as fluconazole andterbinafine), anti-depressants (tricyclics, sertraline, paroxetine),H 2 -blockers (cimetidine, ranitidine, famotidine, nizatidine), oralcohol is safe.

You don't happen to be also taking St. John's Wort?

There are documented reports of visual disturbances with Sertaline (can't get the links to come up, sorry). It is used to treat tinnitus, so I don't know where to go with that. Nausea is a side effect of all SSRIs.

Yes, LSD does affect serotonin receptors. And it has been found (study just shows hypothesis, can't find the study I'm looking for - it was on another version of this board) to cause long-term to permanent problems in gene expression. eg: people who have taken LSD may alter the manner in which their brain processes and reacts to various substances.

Dymphna

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#5 JonTom

JonTom

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Diagnoses:ADHD : BP II : OCD : CDH : SEIZURES
  • Current Meds:Dexedrine 45 mg : Geodon 120 mg : Lithium 1200 mg : Luvox 300 mg : Topomax 50 mg : Tramadol PRN

Posted 28 August 2009 - 11:57 PM

This may be panic symptoms. I experienced intense derealization on Zoloft and worsening of my panic symptoms. Zoloft is a very activating drug...

JT
JonTom
ask me about any one of the many drugs i've sampled:
abilify geodon invega melaril seroquel zyprexa ativan klonopin xanax adderal concerta dextroamphetamine ritalin depakote gabapentin gabitril lamotrogine lyrica trileptal lithium verapamil effexor lexapro luvox prozac remeron trazadone wellbutrin zoloft lunesta rozarem

#6 In_Remission_sahmuald

In_Remission_sahmuald
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:34 PM

Dymphna: Very interesting... As a matter of fact, I had taken St. Johns Wort about two weeks prior to starting the Zoloft... Could this have effected things? I highly doubt that it would have been the allergy medication - it's not mentioned in the PI sheet for Zoloft (unless I accidentally skipped over it)
JonTom: Hmmm... I also display panic symptoms, and this is one of the reasons my doctor wanted me to get medicated. If Zoloft tends to activate these things, very strange that he chose THIS drug for me...

Things are generally coming back down to earth for me now. The derealisation feeling lasted for about 24 hours, and then the following 24 hours it kept reappearing then disappearing in waves...

#7 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:52 PM

Dymphna: Very interesting... As a matter of fact, I had taken St. Johns Wort about two weeks prior to starting the Zoloft... Could this have effected things? I highly doubt that it would have been the allergy medication - it's not mentioned in the PI sheet for Zoloft (unless I accidentally skipped over it)
JonTom: Hmmm... I also display panic symptoms, and this is one of the reasons my doctor wanted me to get medicated. If Zoloft tends to activate these things, very strange that he chose THIS drug for me...

Things are generally coming back down to earth for me now. The derealisation feeling lasted for about 24 hours, and then the following 24 hours it kept reappearing then disappearing in waves...

Yes. the combo would have caused the symptoms you described.

Perhaps the SJW had not cleared your system (it remains in your tissues longer than in your bloodstream).

Dymphna

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#8 In_Remission_sahmuald

In_Remission_sahmuald
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2009 - 01:40 AM

Hmmm... Thinking about it more, it was more like a month ago that I last took SJW...
I found these links if anyone is interested...
http://depression.ab...oloftandsjw.htm
Could I please ask for a source on the interaction between SJW and Sertraline?
I figure that if it really is just the SJW, then I can maybe start again with the sertraline after the St Johns clears from my system...

#9 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 05:16 AM

St John's wort (Hypericum perforatum): drug interactions and clinical outcomes

Pharmacodynamic interactions between selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors (SSRIs)
SJW and SSRIs result in symptoms characteristic of central serotonin excess [38–41]. Serotonin syndrome is characterized by at least three of the following: confusion, agitation, hyperreflexia, diaphoresis, shivering or tremor, nausea, diarrhoea, lack of co-ordination, fever, coma, flushing or rhabdomyolysis [42]. The excess serotonin is believed to be due to common pharmacological mechanisms of action on serotonin, particularly in the brain, of both SJW and conventional antidepressants [7, 43, 44].

It has been suggested in the literature that SJW should not be used with psychoactive or psychotropic drugs, as the potential for adverse effects may be increased. In the majority of clinical trials of SJW patients taking conventional antidepressant medicinal products have been excluded from the studies. Therefore the safety profile of combining these agents with SJW is not fully known and in the interests of patient safety these combinations should be avoided.

Google Scholar is your friend.

And, BTW, I found the old LSD study I was looking for:

LSD-like panic from risperidone in post-LSD visual disorder

The key for you is the post-LSD, not the Risperdal.

Dymphna

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#10 In_Remission_sahmuald

In_Remission_sahmuald
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:09 AM

Thanks so much dymphna!
Lots to chew on now... Will consult with my doc and take it from there...

#11 bluegirl

bluegirl

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:46 PM

I know this info might not help you at all but being in the same drug class it is kind of interesting...
When I was a teenager and a sometimes user of LSD, I was Rxed Paxil. And the first few weeks I tripped my ass off on it. Visuals, just like I got on LSD. I actually didn't mind at the time.

I don't get those effects from SSRIs now though. And I haven't done acid since I was a teen. So whatever it was, it wasn't a permanent effect to my brain. Though I think I might still have some tracer action happening. I'm so use to it I thought it was normal until I talked to a friend and found out they don't see long streamers coming off the tail lights of passing vehicles. So, maybe it did do something permanent to my brain.
Dx:
"I have a working Dx of Bipolar. Yes, there seems to be some HFA traits."~pdoc
Tdoc says possibly BP II

Rx:
AM Wellbutrin 300mg, Ritalin LA 20mg, Klonopin .5mg, Geodon 80mg
PM Geodon 80mg, Klonopin .5mg

Dx past: BP NOS w/ schizoid tendencies, Double depression, MDD or something
Rx past: Lithium+prozac, tegretol+paxil, effexor+wellbutrin, lexapro, cymbalta, provigil, zoloft+ strattera, abilify (twice)+wellbutrin, lamictal+wellbutrin, risperdal, trileptal and a dash of xanax and klonopin

#12 In_Remission_johnboy113

In_Remission_johnboy113
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:17 AM

I had similar experiences in the first month or two of using zoloft.
I had these symptoms MUCH worse with Fluoxitine, Citalopram and Venlafaxine.
What i did was to take my pills at 6pm and by the time they got into full swing i was asleep. sometimes I would wake up tripping the next day but nothing on the scale of what i was suffering when i took the meds in the morning.
These side effects eventually petered out as i adjusted to the drug and after 2 months all was ok.
Now i find Zoloft to be the best medication I have had. Though its worth remembering that different people react differently to different meds so zoloft suits me but might not suit you.
The hardest thing for me to deal with now is the fact that the meds merely deal with the symptoms of depression (chemical imbalance in the brain) and buy me time to undergo the necessary therapy. The cause is much more complex to deal with and will take a lot of CBT and patience.

#13 In_Remission_MikeR

In_Remission_MikeR
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2009 - 05:18 PM

Every time I've gone from nothing to an anti-depressant, I've felt like I'm on a mild LSD trip. That's been about 4 times in the last 4 years and once 12 years ago. Same with Zoloft and Lexapro.

I probably had 100 or so acid trips when I was 17-23 around 25 years ago. I loved it and my theory is it helped me with my depression, at least temporarily. Probably been 15 years since I had any, but have had a few mushroom experiences since then.

I restarted Zoloft the other night and found I was laughing a good bit. Is that the lifting of depression or just a mild LSD like experience or both ? Who knows...

Anti-depressant literature always seems to talk about weeks until effects kick in, but I usually experience these elation effects within a few hours of starting an AD.

#14 In_Remission_siiix

In_Remission_siiix
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 05:07 PM

so this is my very recent experience on this issue

i take 50mg zoloft normally, if i plan to party i stop taking them a few days prior

zoloft by it self never caused tripping in my case

so we started partying on dec 31st i was off zoloft at that point, was taking in speed, ghb, on the the evening of January 1st i decided that i stop parting and once i felt sobered out i tuke my zoloft... but of course my friends decided some hours later to continue the party... speed was gone, i was kinda tired to a did a small line of coke until we get something else in (i did know that coke and zoloft not mix well, so i tried to outsmart the system by just a little coke)... 30 seconds after i snorted that coke it hit me BOOM it was a feeling of mix K and LSD but milder then both... yet not by far mild enough to be able to ignore it

now i have to admit i hate hallucinogens with a passion, i'm able to enjoy them but they not my thing at all... i tried most types how ever a few times so at least i know what i'm missing out of

so my idea was to get rid of this trip to balance it out with GHB.. that worked btw

after a while the trip was gone.... but because i'm such curious guy and i just could not believe what happened, i extremely carefully snorted a mini bump of coke again... guess what :mad: the trip came back after 30 seconds BUT this time a lot weaker, there where only LSD effects, no K effect

now keep in mind that i also had speed in my system and haven't slept for 3 days... so there could be a lot of other factors as well

#15 bear

bear

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 07:21 PM

"i extremely carefully snorted a mini bump of coke again... "
how is this even possible? What is 'careful' about using recreational drugs when you have mental illness?

"now keep in mind that i also had speed in my system and haven't slept for 3 days... so there could be a lot of other factors as well"

you think?
If you have mental illness, are predisposed to mental illness, or sometimes neither of the above but are just really unlucky, cocaine can trigger schizophrenia symptoms. It happens because it increases the release of dopamine and makes one of the four dopamine pathways in the midbrain (the mesolimbic) become overactive, which releases even more dopamine into the post synaptic neurons which brings about delusions and psychosis. This isn't D.A.R.E. (that school-age 'just say no' anti-drug campaign), it's biology. And I have certainly done my fair share of idiotic drug experimentation before I knew there were ramifications deeper then just possible addiction or overdose.
Seriously, no one of mental-interestingness should be messing around with drugs, especially coke or methamphetamine. I find it surprising that someone comes to a site worried about the side-effects of an FDA controled substance who at the very same time shows no concern for the possibly permanent neurological consequences of untested, uncontrolled street drugs.

#16 Isaiah

Isaiah

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Current Meds:Nothing anymore

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:57 PM

This is really funny, because I had my first full on trip on a prescribed dose of zoloft.  It happened just after I turned 15, and came with intense panic attacks, convulsions, seizures, objects growing (alice in wonderland syndrome), EXTREME weekness and vertigo (i had to gather energy to walk 10 steps to get a glass of water)  time disturbances, a mental blackout that made me lose most of the previous days.  Couldn't feel any emotions (weird) except fear and paranoia, and both of which were unbeleivably strong (both light and dark scared me so much that I couldn't handle it.)  Also dreams were already getting vivid and scary before the full on trip, so I didn't really sleep for like two days before the full on trip.  All this, but with me being so delusional from it that I didn't even know that I was tripping!  My reality was entirely flipped after.  I didn't recover from dissociation and visual affects until six months later, and I still dont feel emotions as strong. 

The takeaway:  Yes, you definetly can trip on zoloft.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog

Just a few designs from our Crazymeds' Clothes Line. See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$43. Or search the Amazon for your retail Nirvana.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy shirts
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting shirts
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Medicated For Your Protection shirts
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirts