Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Lamictal And Period Changes

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts
  • Diagnoses:epilepsy, bipolar 2, GAD, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's (primary), sensitive to medication
  • Current Meds:lamotrigine, paroxetine, asthma/allergy meds, meds for Raynaud's

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:42 AM

My periods used to be heavy, but last seven days. Nowadays, they're much lighter (I can use pantiliners for half of the time), but they can sometimes go on for fourteen days. I'm wondering if Lamictal has something to do with this. Has anyone else noticed a change in her menstrual cycle since going on Lamictal?

I've finally found a good gynecologist who's willing to help me figure out if there's something else going on, so I have that part covered.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,485 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 500, CLZ 1.5-2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.25-.5

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:19 AM

Yes.

It's all over this site.

Dymphna

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#3 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts
  • Diagnoses:epilepsy, bipolar 2, GAD, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's (primary), sensitive to medication

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:14 AM

Where, dymphna? I looked all the way through the Lamictal and Female Trouble topics, and didn't see my particular concern addressed. I know that Lamictal affects hormone levels, and vice versa, but I'm curious if anyone else has noticed a correlation between Lamictal use and lighter, longer periods.

Edited by Blue Heron, 24 August 2009 - 11:27 AM.

#4 LovelyThoughts

LovelyThoughts

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II
  • Current Meds:Welbutrin150mg Lamictal 150mg

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

Bumping. Im wondering the same thing. I've only found one

http://www.crazymeds...__fromsearch__1

Doesn't mention PMS or heavy flow changes though.
"It's not the life I thought it would be, but I'll be alright, I know I will be... so long to circumstance."
-Beth Hart

#5 Claire

Claire

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bi-Polar OCD GAD Insomnia (non med caused!) Panic Disorder
  • Current Meds:700mg Quetiapine, 40mg Fluoxetine, 10mg Tamazepam 7.5mgs Zopiclone and Diazepam 5mg PRN

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:21 AM

This is my first cycle since starting Lamotragine, and holy crap its painful and heavy. Normally its a five day pain in the butt (well you know what I mean) but no real drama, this month I am literally soaking pads/tampons in an hour and it HURTS! I just hope it finishes soon...

Claire
Somedays, it's simply not worth chewing through the restraints...

Previously Rx'd
Moclobemide - Pooped out on second attempt.
Abilify - Flipped me out X2
Zopiclone - mmmmm sleep...
Prozac/Fluoxetine - Mania
Effexor/Venaflaxine - Migraines and Mania
Lofepramine - Ridiculous sweating, but did work Pdoc says all tricyclics will have same effect
Lithium
Sodium valproate
Cymbalta - sugar pills
Tegretol (UGH!!)

#6 LovelyThoughts

LovelyThoughts

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:10 AM

I've just finished my second cycle and the PMS was pretty bad, and flow was heavier and longer than normal. I really hope the PMS part mellows out. I can deal with the heavier and longer if I don't have the PMS from hell.
"It's not the life I thought it would be, but I'll be alright, I know I will be... so long to circumstance."
-Beth Hart

#7 Claire

Claire

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bi-Polar OCD GAD Insomnia (non med caused!) Panic Disorder
  • Current Meds:700mg Quetiapine, 40mg Fluoxetine, 10mg Tamazepam 7.5mgs Zopiclone and Diazepam 5mg PRN

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:14 PM

Lovely thoughts - I think that my husband would appreciate a lessoning in the PMS too...

Claire

[Edited to add a lessoning of my PMS not yours :mad:]

Edited by Claire, 11 March 2012 - 12:15 PM.

Somedays, it's simply not worth chewing through the restraints...

Previously Rx'd
Moclobemide - Pooped out on second attempt.
Abilify - Flipped me out X2
Zopiclone - mmmmm sleep...
Prozac/Fluoxetine - Mania
Effexor/Venaflaxine - Migraines and Mania
Lofepramine - Ridiculous sweating, but did work Pdoc says all tricyclics will have same effect
Lithium
Sodium valproate
Cymbalta - sugar pills
Tegretol (UGH!!)

#8 LovelyThoughts

LovelyThoughts

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:26 PM

Yeah i hate that feeling of not even wanting to be around myself..lol
-Beth Hart

#9 MissDiva7

MissDiva7

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar, ADD, Chronic Migraines, General Anxiety +SAD (Social Anxiety Disorder)
  • Current Meds:Abilify 5 mg, Topamax 100 mg, Xanax 1 mg, Adderall 30 mg XR mornings and 20 mg IR afternoons

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

I just finished my first month and a half of lamictal and to my surprise my cycle is almost a week late!!! Negative pregnancy test so I know there is not a baby there lol It either has to be the lamictal or my mess of pills that I am on

#10 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:20 AM

In my case, I turned out to have some scarring from an infection caused by a Mirena IUD. The scar tissue was impeding my menstrual flow. I had a colposcopy to remove some of the scar tissue, and my periods went back to normal. My cycles are getting shorter now, but that's normal for a woman in her late 30s.

#11 raemarii

raemarii

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Diagnoses:see signature
  • Current Meds:see signature

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:45 PM

Well, you seem to have figured out your problem. Just thought I'd post for anyone who may have a similar question. Before Lamictal, my periods were extremely heavy, tons of clotting, 7 days long, no PMS. I had cramps that sent me to the ER a few times and had to get morphine in the hospital. After Lamictal, my periods were light, sometimes would stop randomly and start again, only lasted 4 or 5 days, NO cramping at all (weird for me!), but I had extreme PMS (crying randomly, yelling at people, moodiness, etc.). So that's just my experience for anyone that wants to know, it realllllly can change your cycle.
Current Rx: Wellbutrin IR 100mg, Pristiq 6.25mg (split dose into fourths); (as needed): Imitrex 50mg, Promethazine 25mg, Mobic 15mg
Current Dx: Major Depressive Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, ADHD, Migraine

Past Rx: Topamax, Depakote, Neurontin, Propranolol, Atenolol, Amitriptyline, Zoloft, Prozac, Vyvanse, Serafem, Wellbutrin XR, Ativan, Xanax, Luvox, Abilify, Lunesta, Lamictal, Adderall

"We all live with the objective of being happy; our lives are all different and yet the same." – Anne Frank
“Everything you can imagine is real.” – Pablo Picasso

#12 Larkspur

Larkspur

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar ii, OCD, GAD, social phobia, attention deficit
  • Current Meds:Latuda, Lexapro, Wellbutrin XL, clonidine, PRN: Xanax, Restoril

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

This is probably due to elevated prolactin, as Lamictal doesn't mess with most other lady hormones like estrogen and progesterone (those hormones mess with Lamictal, not the other way around).

If you're experiencing worse PMS and lighter periods, blood tests will typically show elevated prolactin. If that troubles you, consider a switch to a drug that doesn't cause hyperprolactinemia.

larkspur

Dx: bipolar ii; social anxiety disorder/social phobia, GAD, OCD, insomnia

#13 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:28 PM

This is probably due to elevated prolactin, as Lamictal doesn't mess with most other lady hormones like estrogen and progesterone (those hormones mess with Lamictal, not the other way around).

Lamictal doesn't mess with women's hormones nearly as much as other anticonvulsants do, but there may be some interplay going both ways.

#14 I_Hate_My_Brain

I_Hate_My_Brain

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Diagnoses:Left temporal lobe epilepsy, behavioral disorders associated w/, & depression/anxiety, asthma
  • Current Meds:Lamotrigine (Lamictal), Paroxetine (Paxil), Clonazepam, Advair discus, ProAir fast-acting inhaler

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:52 PM

This is all so enlightening! Not only am I finding out that I might NOT be premenopausal, but that the lady problems I've been having could be from that stupid Mirena IUD! I'm smart enough to know that the two are completely unrelated & mine may have nothing to do with the Mirena, but it's giving me ideas to talk to my doctor about. I just turned 35 a few months ago, & am still single with no kids. My personal life isn't where I want it to be, and don't want to date any of the bozos in the town I live in...kind of going thru what would be considered a "normal" depression...ARGH! Turning into a real crazy cat lady. Plus I'm just terrified to have children at all with all my problems & meds that I'm on. I'm rambling again. But I found this site a couple days ago & have been mentally screaming from the rooftops "I'M NOT ALONE!! I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE HAVING THESE PROBLEMS!!" So thanks, everybody!

#15 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:53 AM

I found this site a couple days ago & have been mentally screaming from the rooftops "I'M NOT ALONE!! I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE HAVING THESE PROBLEMS!!" So thanks, everybody!

That's what we're here for. Glad you found us!

#16 StrungOutOnLife

StrungOutOnLife

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar ?, Asperger syndrome, OCD, ADHD

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:08 PM

You know what? Earlier this week, I ran across some research showing that lamotrigine is an aromatase inhibitor like many drugs for breast cancer. This means that it inhibits CYP19, which metabolizes androgens to estrogens. I have no idea whether a safe dose of lamotrigine would exert this effect to a clinically significant extent. I know that my elliptical running endurance increased at first. I managed to keep it up for 47 minutes just to keep on watching the TV in front of the machine. My biggest problem with walking the Historic Something Or Other Trail through Boston, which is handily marked with a painted line, was a sore shoulder from constantly jerking my purse downward. That was in 2007.
Lamictal 350mg/day, Adderall 15mg/day, spironolactone 25mg/day, loxapine 15mg/day, metformin 500mg bid, Vitamin D 3,000 IU/day, Tri-Sprintec

#17 cocoaforcocoapuffs

cocoaforcocoapuffs

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Diagnoses:bp
  • Current Meds:lamictal, seroquel

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:23 PM

I'm new and wanted to comment that I noticed heavier periods and more cramping with Lamictal too. But I'll deal with it because Lamictal makes my mood swings a lot less severe.

#18 shakenandstirred

shakenandstirred

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Diagnoses:diagnoses BP II in September 2012.
  • Current Meds:Lithium (150 mgs) Klonapin and trazadone prn for anxiety and insomnia

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:56 PM

my period is a week late, pms (crying over stupid things) cramps, EXTREMELY sore breasts, light spotting. That's it.

I want my normal flow back. I feel like my cycle is on pause. I'm currently on 100 mgs of Lamictal (generic) and 150 mgs Welbutrin XL (also generic) a day.

Thoughts? Anyone else experience this? If so, please tell me your period came back. I feel no release. It's weird.. Then again, after 6 weeks on lamictal I'm not depressed to the point of catatonia anymore, not sobbing in the corner, able to function... Even laugh occassionally. I have a LOT of work to do- my life is by no means perfect, but lamictal has truly stabilized me.

Is this a consequence I should deal with in your opinion?

Thanks in advance!

failed meds: zoloft, celexa, lexapro, buspar, welbutrin, lamictal.

#19 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:12 AM

my period is a week late, pms (crying over stupid things) cramps, EXTREMELY sore breasts, light spotting. That's it.

I want my normal flow back. I feel like my cycle is on pause. I'm currently on 100 mgs of Lamictal (generic) and 150 mgs Welbutrin XL (also generic) a day.

Thoughts? Anyone else experience this? If so, please tell me your period came back. I feel no release. It's weird.. Then again, after 6 weeks on lamictal I'm not depressed to the point of catatonia anymore, not sobbing in the corner, able to function... Even laugh occassionally. I have a LOT of work to do- my life is by no means perfect, but lamictal has truly stabilized me.

Is this a consequence I should deal with in your opinion?

Thanks in advance!

If you're feeling a lot more stable, it's worth waiting to see if your periods even out over time.

#20 paellamagi

paellamagi

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar
  • Current Meds:Epilim 2000mg, Lexapro 10mg, Abilify 20mg, Lamictal 200mg, Temazepam 10mg prn

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

I found that my Epilim made my menstruation a lot lighter (good, because it was like shark week). With my last dose increase of lamictal I'm about a week late so far. Now by saying it I will probably get it while I'm sleeping. :(

Happy Pills: Epilim 2000mg, Lexapro 10mg, Abilify 20mg, Lamictal 200mg, Temazepam 10mg prn.

#21 PlatypusBear

PlatypusBear

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II, Generalized Anxiety Disorder
  • Current Meds:See Signature

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:12 PM

I'm bumping this, because I went and finally reported my period issues with lamotrigine to the FDA, and you guys should too.  I held off for a long time because the Medwatch site talked about "serious" adverse events, but I called them up and they said they'd like to know everything, even if it's just a headache caused by meds.  The link is here: https://www.accessda...ripts/medwatch/

The final straw was that I went back down to 225 mg on Tuesday, and yesterday started spotting.  It's stopped now, but I went through several tampons.  I will note that I am currently in the middle of a birth control pack.  I also spotted for a month when I started, and have had other instances of bleeding for a month on birth control changes or manufacturer changes.  Maybe if enough people actually report it, they'll do another study with more than the 20 people or however many it was that they use to say that the lamotrigine doesn't affect hormones.

Current meds: Lamotrigine 225 mg, buspirone 15 mg b.i.d. + 7.5 mg AM, cyclobenzaprine 2.5 mg, zolpidem 5-10 mg PRN, methocarbamol 500 mg PRN, fish oil (1200 mg EPA and 600 mg DHA), n-acetlycysteine 1000 mg b.i.d., methylphenidate IR 5 mg or Ritalin LA 10 mg PRN, Saphris something <5mg (no, really) PRN

Past meds: Bupropion XL 150 mg, fluoxetine 40 mg, birth control pills

#22 Erica

Erica

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II, migraines
  • Current Meds:Lamictal 50mg - titrating to 200mg over the next 2 months, Midrin

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:51 PM

Funny... I Googled "Lamictal missed period" and got you guys. Should have known.

My periods have been ridiculous since having kids. 7-9 days with the first three being a literal bloodbath. I sleep on a towel and burn through "Ultra" tampons and pads within 15-30 minutes. Massive blood clots. All the ooey-gooey stuff.

Now? 6 weeks into Lamictal and nothing. I've actually forgotten when my last period was, but I distinctly remember snow on the ground. Feel ill most of the time, but that might just be the vitamins. Here's the funny thing: my tubes are tied! My uterus has a level 9 force field around it.

Most of what I can see you guys posting is that cycles got worse. How many are experiencing none at all?

PlatypusBear, heading to that site now so I can mention my stuff.

Previous Meds: Topamax 50mg, Wellbutrin 150mg, Lexapro 20mg
Previous Diagnoses: General Anxiety Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder

Other assorted goodies: Women's Vitamin (One a Day), Biotin 5000 mcg, Excedrin (sometimes kills a migraine), Midrin (will definitely kill a migraine)

"I have a picture of myself in my mind as I walk around every day, until I look in the mirror - and then I'm stunned." -- Patty Duke

#23 PlatypusBear

PlatypusBear

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:05 PM

Funny... I Googled "Lamictal missed period" and got you guys. Should have known.

My periods have been ridiculous since having kids. 7-9 days with the first three being a literal bloodbath. I sleep on a towel and burn through "Ultra" tampons and pads within 15-30 minutes. Massive blood clots. All the ooey-gooey stuff.

Now? 6 weeks into Lamictal and nothing. I've actually forgotten when my last period was, but I distinctly remember snow on the ground. Feel ill most of the time, but that might just be the vitamins. Here's the funny thing: my tubes are tied! My uterus has a level 9 force field around it.

Most of what I can see you guys posting is that cycles got worse. How many are experiencing none at all?

PlatypusBear, heading to that site now so I can mention my stuff.

Tubal ligation can fail.  It's a less than 1% chance, but it does happen.  If you've been having any symptoms of pregnancy, I'd get a test just to be sure.  I hope it's just that your body has worked out the kinks, but there's a higher risk of ectopic pregnancy with tubal ligations (i.e. IF you get pregnant, the percentage chance of having an ectopic pregnancy is higher), so you should really just take a test now just in case.

Current meds: Lamotrigine 225 mg, buspirone 15 mg b.i.d. + 7.5 mg AM, cyclobenzaprine 2.5 mg, zolpidem 5-10 mg PRN, methocarbamol 500 mg PRN, fish oil (1200 mg EPA and 600 mg DHA), n-acetlycysteine 1000 mg b.i.d., methylphenidate IR 5 mg or Ritalin LA 10 mg PRN, Saphris something <5mg (no, really) PRN

#24 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:11 AM

I'm bumping this, because I went and finally reported my period issues with lamotrigine to the FDA, and you guys should too.  I held off for a long time because the Medwatch site talked about "serious" adverse events, but I called them up and they said they'd like to know everything, even if it's just a headache caused by meds.  The link is here: https://www.accessda...ripts/medwatch/

The final straw was that I went back down to 225 mg on Tuesday, and yesterday started spotting.  It's stopped now, but I went through several tampons.  I will note that I am currently in the middle of a birth control pack.  I also spotted for a month when I started, and have had other instances of bleeding for a month on birth control changes or manufacturer changes.  Maybe if enough people actually report it, they'll do another study with more than the 20 people or however many it was that they use to say that the lamotrigine doesn't affect hormones.

A version of the Pill with more estrogen in it should nip that breakthrough bleeding in the bud, PB. Check out the chart on this page. Mircette has one of the lowest doses of estrogen available. Of course, a higher dose of synthetic estrogen could necessitate taking a higher dose of lamotrigine. Figuring out how to balance the estrogen dose with your lamotrigine dose can take some trial and error. In the meantime, use a secondary form of birth control, like condoms, if pregnancy is indeed a concern.

Lamotrigine interferes more with synthetic hormones than it does with women's natural hormones.

A pharmacist filled me in about all of this years ago.

#25 PlatypusBear

PlatypusBear

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:27 AM

A version of the Pill with more estrogen in it should nip that breakthrough bleeding in the bud, PB. Check out the chart on this page. Mircette has one of the lowest doses of estrogen available. Of course, a higher dose of synthetic estrogen could necessitate taking a higher dose of lamotrigine. Figuring out how to balance the estrogen dose with your lamotrigine dose can take some trial and error. In the meantime, use a secondary form of birth control, like condoms, if pregnancy is indeed a concern.

Lamotrigine interferes more with synthetic hormones than it does with women's natural hormones.

A pharmacist filled me in about all of this years ago.

The PI sheet still insists basically up, down, and sideways that lamotrigine does not interfere with hormones, although it has the estrogen lowering lamotrigine interaction out there loud and clear.  There's a teensy bit about post marketing reports of menstrual irregularities, but that's it.  I was on Aviane (20 mcg ee/100 mcg levonorgestrel) when I started, then moved to Portia (30 mcg ee/150 mcg levonorgestrel), and then eventually moved to Mircette (20 mcg ee/150 mcg desogestrel) in hopes that the lower androgenicity of the desogestrel would help with the acne.  By the way, wikipedia has a more comprehensive list of formulations, which is very useful considering the huge number of branded generics.  My body seems to settle down fine after a while on a particular pill and lamotrigine dosage, but changes to either seem to be an issue.  A 2 day period after reducing by all of 25 mg was quite a surprise, especially since not every increase caused an issue.  Pregnancy prevention hasn't been an issue for over a year, but I use condoms anyway when it is an issue.

If you can find the citations about lamotrigine interfering with synthetic hormones I'd love to see them.  I don't have time for a full out hunt right now, but I remember trying previously and having no luck.

#26 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:29 PM

Most of what's out there has to do with the risk of seizures, but knowing as we do that brain cooties are on a spectrum, it seems to me like the application should be broadened to include its use for bipolar disorder and the like.

"Lamotrigine, although not an EIAED, has been shown to decrease levonorgestrel concentrations at higher dosages (300 mg/day), and breakthrough bleeding has been reported."-- http://www.uspharmac...eature/c/46118/

(For anyone who doesn't know, EIAED=Enzyme-Inducing Anti-Epileptic Drugs, or older AEDs like the valproates.)

From one of the sources listed on that page (which is a PDF document): "Due to the risk of drug interactions, the use of lamotrigine monotherapy with CHC is a UKMEC Category 3 (risks generally outweigh the benefits)."

(CHC=combination hormonal contraceptives. UKMEC=United Kingdom Medical Eligibility Criteria.)

(In another part of that guidance document, it's noted that combination therapy including lamotrigine, and not just lamotrigine monotherapy, can cause problems.)

It seems like most references to this subject in the literature are anecdotal, though, rather than spelled out in black and white, and they sometimes contradict each other. One source I looked at stated that lamotrigine messes with progestin (synthetic progesterone), but not synthetic estrogen.

The pharmacist I talked with while I was having hot flashes from a combo of Yasmin and lamotrigine was more knowledgeable about the possible side effects of their combined use, than was the ndoc I was seeing at the time. The pharmacist said it could be hard to strike a balance between the hormone doses, and the lamotrigine.

From the drugs.com interaction checker results for Yasmin and lamotrigine:

"Lamotrigine also has been shown to have little or no effect on the pharmacokinetics of contraceptive hormones, although measurement of serum FSH, LH, and estradiol has indicated some loss of suppression of the hypothalamic-pituitary-ovarian axis. The clinical significance is unknown. . . . Although diminished contraceptive efficacy has not been reported, the possibility should be considered. Patients should be instructed to promptly report changes in their menstrual pattern."

The same verbiage is used in the professional version of the interaction checker results for Mircette and lamotrigine.

Here's a more general guide to breakthrough bleeding that occurs during oral contraceptive use. I think a monophasic version of the Pill is best for women with brain cooties, but its comments about the differences between the different synthetic hormones used in OCs are interesting, I think.

I have to step away from the computer now, but I'll check back later.

Edited by Blue Heron, 20 April 2014 - 04:21 PM.

#27 Monokera

Monokera

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, ADD
  • Current Meds:Concerta 54mg, lamotrigine 100mg, clonazepam 0.5mg, temazepam 30mg, Wellbutrin 150mg, Micronor

Posted 31 May 2014 - 05:57 AM

I'd found lamotrigine to be great for helping my period. Before I ever started taking lamotrigine, if I was not taking birth control I would have quite heavy periods, with excruciating cramps the first couple days. When I started lamotrigine, that got better. It was more normal. I had noticed in the last 2 years though that the lamotrigine didn't seem to be helping. I'm not sure if it was due to a lesser dose,  increased stress and living with a perimenopausal female, or the start of my endometriosis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog