Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious

Trazodone Plus Benadryl -- Is It Ok?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_pineapple

In_Remission_pineapple
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2009 - 11:25 AM

Hey all,

So I take prozac 60 mg/day for ocd and it works well for me except it totally messes up the quality of my sleep so I take 50mg traz every night. The 50 mg traz works well for me, I feel much more rested in the morning. With my prozac/traz combo I do pretty well.

In fact I feel so good I decided to get pregnant.

Summer is here and I have really bad allergies. The worst allergies ever for me. I dunno if pregnancy makes it worse or something.
Let's put it this way -- I sneeze and cough so hard that it causes stress incontinence for me (I do think that is pregnancy-related), and the incontinence
got to be such a problem that I couldn't go out of my apartment and I also developed a painful diaper rash. I have more empathy for babies now.

But I can't take my old standby zyrtec 'cause I'm pregnant. The ob doc sez I can only take benadryl for allergies.

So I'm wondering if me and the fetus can take benadryl and traz at the same time or whether we'll end up loopy or I'll end up asleep at the wheel or something.
I DID ask my psychiatrist and well, he didn't know the answer. Guess he's never seen that combo before. Anyone try it? I do think benadryl is the same ingredient
that's also in Tylenol PM if that helps.

thanks
Pineapple

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Nutter 6

Nutter 6

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Diagnoses:see sig
  • Current Meds:see sig

Posted 15 July 2009 - 12:18 PM

Hey all,

So I take prozac 60 mg/day for ocd and it works well for me except it totally messes up the quality of my sleep so I take 50mg traz every night. The 50 mg traz works well for me, I feel much more rested in the morning. With my prozac/traz combo I do pretty well.

In fact I feel so good I decided to get pregnant.

Summer is here and I have really bad allergies. The worst allergies ever for me. I dunno if pregnancy makes it worse or something.
Let's put it this way -- I sneeze and cough so hard that it causes stress incontinence for me (I do think that is pregnancy-related), and the incontinence
got to be such a problem that I couldn't go out of my apartment and I also developed a painful diaper rash. I have more empathy for babies now.

But I can't take my old standby zyrtec 'cause I'm pregnant. The ob doc sez I can only take benadryl for allergies.

So I'm wondering if me and the fetus can take benadryl and traz at the same time or whether we'll end up loopy or I'll end up asleep at the wheel or something.
I DID ask my psychiatrist and well, he didn't know the answer. Guess he's never seen that combo before. Anyone try it? I do think benadryl is the same ingredient
that's also in Tylenol PM if that helps.

thanks
Pineapple

Benadryl tends to play well with others, but I would ask your OB and your pharmacist (and make sure your pharmacist knows you're pregnant.)
Dx: OCD, GAD, PD, ADHD, Pain due to jaw injury hyperirritable trigeminal, facial, and spinal accessory nerves following jaw injury (Two Three Four Five months now, and counting...)
Psycho Rx: Cymbalta, 90; Vyvanse, 30; Klonopin, PRN, up to 1.5 x 3;
everchanging Pain RX: Neurontin, 400; Acetaminophen 650 x 3 (sometimes with codeine); Voltaren, PRN; Physio, Upper and lower jaws splinted, Lots and lots of ice...some nutters wear tin foil hats; I like ice hats...

---
'But I don’t want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
'Oh, you can’t help that,' said the Cat. 'We’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad.'
'How do you know I’m mad?' said Alice.
'You must be,” said the Cat. 'or you wouldn’t have come here.'

#3 VAL

VAL

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • Diagnoses:BPII
  • Current Meds:See Signature

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:11 PM

I used to take it together and I was at 200mg of traz. I used the children's benadryl because I could control the dose better...just drank little amounts until I was sleepy and my symptoms were better. I only took it at night so I'd wake up the next day without congestion and wheezing (I'm asthmatic). However, anytime you have two sedating drugs you have to be careful of getting overly sleepy and I know nothing about pregnancy and the drugs. Definitely go to your pharmacist as he'll be the most knowledgeable about the combo.

Current Meds: Lamictal 325mg, Wellbutrin XL 450mg, Neurontin 900mg, Klonopin 1.5mg, Saphris 10mg, Trazodone up to 200mg, Prozosin 2mg, Zyprexa 5mg PRN and Inderal 20mg PRN
Past Meds: Siniquan, Elavil, Imipramine, Zoloft, Seroquel, Abilify, Nardil, Emsam, Rozerem and Ambien
Current Non-psych: Soma 350mg PRN, Norco 10mg/325 PRN, Percocet 10mg/325 PRN, Advair, Nasonex, Ventolin PRN, Allegra, Avalide, Dexilant, Levothroxine, Pravachol

#4 notfred

notfred

Emergency Second Opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts
  • Diagnoses:check out signature
  • Current Meds:check out signature

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:26 PM

Benadryl is in the FDA pregnancy category B. It is not expected to be harmful to an unborn baby. Ask your OB/GYN first before taking it.

nf

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

Psyc Meds: Forfivo XL 450 mg (Wellbutrin XL), Abilify 15 mg, (Aripiprazole), Eszopiclone 6 mg (Lunesta), Vyvance 70 mg, (dextroamphetamine) Levetiracetam 2,000 mg (Keppra), Propranolol ER 60 mg (Inderal)
PRN: Lorazepam 1-4 mg (Ativan), Alprazolam 1-2 mg (Xanax), Dextroamphetamine 10-40 mg (Dexedrine), Propranolol 20-40 mg (Inderal)

Supps: Multi-vitamin/mineral, Vitamin D 2,000 IU, Fish oil 7.2 g

Dx: Depression, Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor

I also take allergy and diabetes + it's complications meds.

All doses are a daily total.

#5 Sara E A

Sara E A

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Diagnoses:marburg MS, depression
  • Current Meds:concerta, bupropion, zolpidem, Keppra

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:40 PM

I sometimes take benadryl with trazadone to sleep. (50 mg of each) I'm a little paranoid about mixing meds and never even tried it before I was explicitly instructed to do so by a doc. Benadryl is precisely what's in Tylenol PM that makes you sleep. Apparently histamine is a biochemical made by your brain to keep you awake. So, you're going to be SLEEEPY when you take the benadryl. Maybe try and titrate to a point where you get some relief from the allergies but can still function. Probably the liquid suspension would be best for that kind of experimenting. You said that the only thing your OB cleared to take was benadryl, but I didn't see you mention loratadine, which is my favorite re: allergies.
Diagnoses: marburg multiple sclerosis, depression, seizures as a result of a surgery-created focus

Rx: Concerta 54 mg, Bupropion XL 300 mg, birth control, Keppra 500 mg 2x/day, Zolpidem 10 mg, Lamictal 25 mg

Supplements: Multivitamin, fish oil, calcium/vit d, occasional valerian, kava or melatonin.

#6 In_Remission_pineapple

In_Remission_pineapple
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:46 AM

I sometimes take benadryl with trazadone to sleep. (50 mg of each) I'm a little paranoid about mixing meds and never even tried it before I was explicitly instructed to do so by a doc. Benadryl is precisely what's in Tylenol PM that makes you sleep. Apparently histamine is a biochemical made by your brain to keep you awake. So, you're going to be SLEEEPY when you take the benadryl. Maybe try and titrate to a point where you get some relief from the allergies but can still function. Probably the liquid suspension would be best for that kind of experimenting. You said that the only thing your OB cleared to take was benadryl, but I didn't see you mention loratadine, which is my favorite re: allergies.

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies. I'll go out and get the children's liquid benadryl, that way I can take as low a dose as possible. Good idea!!
MY OB knows I take traz and he thinks adding benadryl is ok. He said only Benadryl for allergies, no loratadine. I get the sense with pregnancy that they just want you to take really old medicines, because
that way if something really terrible happened they would know by now. Well prozac's not that old, but as SSRI's go it is old.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog