Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious

What Is The Difference Between Trileptal And Tegretol

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_tracer

In_Remission_tracer
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:24 PM

My dr. is suggesting adding tegretol to my already existing cocktail of lithium, seroqel and lamotrigine. I am treatment resistant, have mixed episodes and a rapid cycler. I have never been stable for more than a month. :mad:

Edited by tracer, 01 July 2009 - 06:26 PM.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,488 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 500, CLZ 1.5-2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.25-.5

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:14 AM

My dr. is suggesting adding tegretol to my already existing cocktail of lithium, seroqel and lamotrigine. I am treatment resistant, have mixed episodes and a rapid cycler. I have never been stable for more than a month. :mad:

I have never heard of this combo.

Tegretol is Trileptal's big brother. It works basically the same, but has a much larger side effect profile. Generally, docs believe that if one doesn't work, the other won't either. However, there are enough differences that if a person does not respond to Trileptal they may respond to Tegretol. If it is the side effects of Trileptal that are making it bomb, however, Tegretol is definitely not a good idea.

If nothing else, get a good liver panel done before starting, so that you have a baseline.

Dymphna

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#3 In_Remission_tracer

In_Remission_tracer
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:09 PM

thanks for your reply. Have you personally taken tegretol and had a bad experience?

#4 Stacia

Stacia

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, ADD
  • Current Meds:Lamictal, Latuda, Lithium, Klonopin, Adderall

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:16 PM

Hi.
I've been on your cocktail since I was diagnosed over three years ago. Often there was something else in the mix, too, while trying to find what would stop the horrible cycling. Depakote really slowed it, but it was not until we added Tegretol that I stabilized. I've been solidly stable now for about eight months.

What else I can say about Tegretol.... First, Trileptal was the first med I tried and it made me sick, food poisoning like sick, immediately. Didn't stay on it two days. That had a lot to do with turning Tegretol down for nearly two years. I figured it was like Trileptal and I'd have the same s/e. Not the case. I did feel nauseous for the first month or so. Livable, functionally, but not great to experience. More serious was the cognitive dulling it womped me with very, very hard. That took around two months to lift. I was w/in days of pulling the plug on it, actually. Then I woke up one day and could do math in my head again. So, for me, (doesn't mean you!), start up was tough. Yet, I have my life back thanks to that med which is priceless.

Good luck.

#5 In_Remission_tracer

In_Remission_tracer
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:26 AM

Stacia

thanks for your reply.

I am very happy that this combo and tegretol has worked for you. I know what it is like to be on the rollercoaster of mood swings and crying all the time. I am glad you have your life back. When I started Lamictal I had the same experience with nausea and not wanting to eat for about a month....felt like i constantly had the flu..it finally went away and then I had about a month's worth of lesser side effects of the bipolar.

Are you set up for emails?

Since we are on the same cocktail maybe we can be of some help to one another.

#6 JonTom

JonTom

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Diagnoses:ADHD : BP II : OCD : CDH : SEIZURES
  • Current Meds:Dexedrine 45 mg : Geodon 120 mg : Lithium 1200 mg : Luvox 300 mg : Topomax 50 mg : Tramadol PRN

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:39 AM

Depakote? Its the first go-to for rapid cycling. I was on Depakote and Lithium for a while. Did great.

JT
JonTom
ask me about any one of the many drugs i've sampled:
abilify geodon invega melaril seroquel zyprexa ativan klonopin xanax adderal concerta dextroamphetamine ritalin depakote gabapentin gabitril lamotrogine lyrica trileptal lithium verapamil effexor lexapro luvox prozac remeron trazadone wellbutrin zoloft lunesta rozarem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog