Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Strattera Making Me Tired

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Triednblue

Triednblue

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Diagnoses:Schizoaffective Dis Cmplx Part. Sz' PTSD Panic Dis
  • Current Meds:Lamictal Topamax Abilify Vyvanse Dexedrine Xanax Omeprazole

Posted 06 June 2009 - 07:05 PM

My P-Doc thought that perhaps Strattera would help me with energy/motivation, etc. I've noticed that plenty of people do get that effect from it, but for me so far (20mgs for 2 weeks then 40 for 2 wks now at 60mg for 4 days) it makes me very tired. I haven't yet reached my target dose of 80.

The Strattera web site said to wait at least 4-6 weeks after reaching the target dose before deciding if it is helping or not. Has anyone else gotten tired instead of energized from Strattera in the beginning and if so did the fatigue go away eventually - and then once you adjusted to it did it then become more energizing? Or..... does anyone know the answer just because you're smarter than me :mad: ?

(Any feedback would be appreciated!)

Edited by Triednblue, 06 June 2009 - 07:08 PM.

Looking back it all seems inevitable.

Dx: Schizoaffective disorder, ADD, PTSD. Asperger's, Complex Partial Seizures, Panic Disorder w/Agoraphobia, Social phobia.

Rx: Zyprexa Zydis 20mg, Keppra 1000mg, Lamictal 400mg, Xanax 1mg PRN. Omeprazole 40mg

"There comes a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance, that
imitation is suicide, that he must take himself for better, or for worse as his portion."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 thelmalouise

thelmalouise

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Diagnoses:gad/panic, mild depression

Posted 06 June 2009 - 07:38 PM

My daughter has been taking strattera for the last month at 60mg. She worked her way up from the 20mg to the 60mg. She had a sample package that had the dosage increases and one month of the 60. We just got her first prescription filled and it is still making her very tired and nauseaus. She doesn't seem to get tired until several hours after she takes it. I am going to try having her take it in the evenings and see how she does. She doesn't seem to get any energy from it, but her moods seem much better overall. She is a teenager and is actually taking it for anxiety that her doctor (gp) seems to think may be coming from add. She doesn't really want to take it anymore, but I've asked her to try to take the month's worth we just purchased and if she is still really tired, we can go back to the doctor then. That is the only medication she takes.

I am hoping more people will respond as I am also looking for answers.

#3 Petrucci914

Petrucci914

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:18 PM

My P-Doc thought that perhaps Strattera would help me with energy/motivation, etc. I've noticed that plenty of people do get that effect from it, but for me so far (20mgs for 2 weeks then 40 for 2 wks now at 60mg for 4 days) it makes me very tired. I haven't yet reached my target dose of 80.

The Strattera web site said to wait at least 4-6 weeks after reaching the target dose before deciding if it is helping or not. Has anyone else gotten tired instead of energized from Strattera in the beginning and if so did the fatigue go away eventually - and then once you adjusted to it did it then become more energizing? Or..... does anyone know the answer just because you're smarter than me :mad: ?

One of my older doctors had the same idea and thought process that your doctor did. My new doctor thinks that my old doctor was nuts. Strattera was probably one of the worst drugs I was ever on. Strattera does not increase energy, but instead helps concentration in those with ADD. It is NOT like a typical stimulant in that it will help those with ADD, and then give us with fatigue a boost of energy. Strattera basically put me into a sleeping coma and gave me crazy sexual side-effects. You're more than welcome to stay the course and see, but I basically guarantee that it is doing more harm than good. Low-dose of Adderall or Ritalin may help, or Provigil/Nuvigil.

I've figured it out
There is no doubt I need some help
Can you try to save me from myself?
-Enchant "Defenseless"

Diagnosis:  TR Dysthymia, GAD

Current Meds:  Abilify 5mg, Wellbutrin XL 300mg

#4 Triednblue

Triednblue

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:52 PM

One of my older doctors had the same idea and thought process that your doctor did. My new doctor thinks that my old doctor was nuts. Strattera was probably one of the worst drugs I was ever on. Strattera does not increase energy, but instead helps concentration in those with ADD. It is NOT like a typical stimulant in that it will help those with ADD, and then give us with fatigue a boost of energy. Strattera basically put me into a sleeping coma and gave me crazy sexual side-effects. You're more than welcome to stay the course and see, but I basically guarantee that it is doing more harm than good. Low-dose of Adderall or Ritalin may help, or Provigil/Nuvigil.

Oh God I hope not. He won't give me anything else... I have read a few reports of it being energizing, and then other horror stories like yours. The reviews of its effects are so contradictory. He said this was my only option because anything else might induce seizures (I am epileptic). I am going to give it the full ride and take it for the six weeks after I reach 80mg... just to see. I'm tired of being tired! The anhedonia from the Zyprexa is killing my marriage and friendships. They're tired of me being tired too I suppose. He said the Lamictal should be helping me with those negative side effects but it's NOT.

Thanks for your reply- I will keep it in my mind as I go on. Maybe there are other stimulants that won't lower my seizure threshold? I could ask him about something else if I knew what to ask for.

Dx: Schizoaffective disorder, ADD, PTSD. Asperger's, Complex Partial Seizures, Panic Disorder w/Agoraphobia, Social phobia.

Rx: Zyprexa Zydis 20mg, Keppra 1000mg, Lamictal 400mg, Xanax 1mg PRN. Omeprazole 40mg

"There comes a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance, that
imitation is suicide, that he must take himself for better, or for worse as his portion."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

#5 mj1127

mj1127

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, ADHD, migraine
  • Current Meds:Lithium CR, Abilify, Latuda, Adderall, Wellbutrin

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:07 AM

I don't know a lot about Strattera. However, my first question in all of this would be do you need the Zyprexa? I need Zyprexa when I am manic or about to be. The rest of the time, I don't need it, and in fact would be a drooling zombie if I took it. I realize that for some people, it is the only thing that works as a maintenance med and I apologize for taking you through this little exercise if you are one of them. But my guess would be that for the majority of people, it is most useful as emergency meds during an episode, particularly a manic one. Is there any possibility you could get off Zyprexa for now, and therefore not need something to counteract its side effects?

MJ

Bipolar NOS, ADHD, migraine

300mg Lithium CR, 7.5mg Abilify, 40mg Latuda, 20mg Adderall BID, 150mg Wellbutrin XL

#6 Triednblue

Triednblue

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:58 AM

I don't know a lot about Strattera. However, my first question in all of this would be do you need the Zyprexa? I need Zyprexa when I am manic or about to be. The rest of the time, I don't need it, and in fact would be a drooling zombie if I took it. I realize that for some people, it is the only thing that works as a maintenance med and I apologize for taking you through this little exercise if you are one of them. But my guess would be that for the majority of people, it is most useful as emergency meds during an episode, particularly a manic one. Is there any possibility you could get off Zyprexa for now, and therefore not need something to counteract its side effects?

I'm not sure about needing it permanently, the last time I went off of it the noises in my head came back really strong and drove me crazy. It was like being at a rock concert with everybody talking at once. He put me back on it and the noises have abated tremendously. Just the music now. Pdoc wants me to stay on it because it works. I tried Abilify and liked the mental clarity and lifting of mood, but it made me twitch and shake, so I stopped it and went back to Zyprexa.

Zyprexa has changed my life and I would hate to give it up (even though I gained 40 lbs from it). It quiets my mind. The only problem is that it comes with the price of being flat, unmotivated and tired. So he thought adding the Strattera may help with that. I haven't gotten up to 80mgs yet, after I do I will go the 6 wks to see what happens. So far it makes me pretty sleepy though, hoping that will change as time goes by.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

#7 Petrucci914

Petrucci914

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:12 PM

Oh God I hope not. He won't give me anything else... I have read a few reports of it being energizing, and then other horror stories like yours. The reviews of its effects are so contradictory. He said this was my only option because anything else might induce seizures (I am epileptic). I am going to give it the full ride and take it for the six weeks after I reach 80mg... just to see. I'm tired of being tired! The anhedonia from the Zyprexa is killing my marriage and friendships. They're tired of me being tired too I suppose. He said the Lamictal should be helping me with those negative side effects but it's NOT.

Thanks for your reply- I will keep it in my mind as I go on. Maybe there are other stimulants that won't lower my seizure threshold? I could ask him about something else if I knew what to ask for.

What dose are you at with Lamictal? It doesn't really start doing its job until at LEAST 100mg.......sometimes not until 200mg.

I'd look at Provigil/Nuvigil at maybe not inducing seizures. It is a wakeful-promoting agent, not a stimulant.

I've figured it out
There is no doubt I need some help
Can you try to save me from myself?
-Enchant "Defenseless"

Diagnosis:  TR Dysthymia, GAD

Current Meds:  Abilify 5mg, Wellbutrin XL 300mg

#8 Triednblue

Triednblue

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:05 PM

"What dose are you at with Lamictal? It doesn't really start doing its job until at LEAST 100mg.......sometimes not until 200mg.

I'd look at Provigil/Nuvigil at maybe not inducing seizures. It is a wakeful-promoting agent, not a stimulant."

I take 400mg Lamictal (I also take the Lamictal for epilepsy). Provigil was what I wanted to begin with, but for some reason he doesn't want me on that. Don't think he likes it or something- he wouldn't even discuss it. Maybe he knows something about it that I don't? Is Provigil good for motivation/depression?

No matter what I take it doesn't seem to help with these negative symptoms/side effects for long. Lexapro worked wonders (a little too good) for about 3 months then pooped out. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly welcomed!!

Edited by Triednblue, 10 June 2009 - 02:18 PM.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog