Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Lithium And Sexual Side Effects

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pillboxfox

Pillboxfox

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 06:38 PM

Does lithium have any sexual side effects? Can it affect your sex drive? I have sexual side effects on my current cocktail and wonder if the lithium could partly be responsible.

Cheers,

PBF
Diagnosis: Bipolar type 2 disorder and substance abuse disorder (working hard on staying clean)
Daily med combo: Lithium 600mg + Remeron 30mg + Zyprexa 5mg (all taken at bedtime)
Lithium level: 0.5
PRN meds: Librium 10mg capsules, Haldol 2mg tabs
Emergency/crisis meds: Xanax 0.5mg tabs, Prolixin (fluphenazine) long-acting injection
Previously tried: Seroquel, Risperdal, Nozinan (levopromazine), Depakote, Lamictal, Effexor, Serzone, Trazodone, Celexa, Wellbutrin, Klonopin, Ativan, Restoril, Serax, Valium

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 classactrachael

classactrachael

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bi-polar, OCD, Social Phobia
  • Current Meds:Lithium 900, Lamictal 100, Seraquel 50, Ambien CR 12.5, Ativan 1 mg as needed

Posted 07 March 2010 - 07:57 PM

Between the horrible depression and the Lithium I want to have sex at the most once a month. I'm married so we do it more frequently but not because I want to. That is how low my sex drive is. Even when I am not as depressed my sex drive on the Lithium (and until recently Lithium was the only med I was on so I know it's the cause) is next to nothing.

#3 korey1015

korey1015

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression, Social Phobia
  • Current Meds:check my signature

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:06 PM

I'm on lithium along with an SSRI, but I've managed to overcome the sexual side effects. It might have something to do with the fact that I'm also on Wellbutrin, but I'm not certain.

Current Rx:
Wellbutrin XL 300mg, Eskalith CR 900mg, Luvox 200mg, and Restoril 30mg

Things I have been prescribed:
Lexapro (escitalopram), Zoloft (sertraline), Celexa (citalopram), Prozac (fluoxetine), Paxil (paroxetine), Luvox (fluvoxamine), Effexor XR (venlafaxine), Remeron (mirtazapine), Wellbutrin SR/XL (bupropion), Eskalith CR (lithium), Topamax (topiramate), Valium (diazepam), Xanax (alprazolam), Ativan (lorazepam), Tranxene (clorazepate), Ambien (zolpidem), Restoril (temazepam), Rozerem (ramelteon), Desyrel (trazodone), Ritalin (methylphenidate), Adderall (amphetamine salts), Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine), Inderal (propranolol), Lopressor (metoprolol), Thorazine (chlorpromazine), Lamictal (lamotrigine), Abilify (aripiprazole), Depakote (divalproex), Geodon (ziprasidone), Sinequan (doxepin), Somnote (chloral hydrate), ProSom (estazolam)

#4 jook

jook

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • Diagnoses:BPI & PD
  • Current Meds:Saphris, Klonopin, Provigil, Lunesta

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:34 PM

Does lithium have any sexual side effects? Can it affect your sex drive?

Yes and yes.
It put my libido into the tank.
Also caused impotence.

jook
my brain hates agonists and reuptake-inhibitors

former rx= Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Zoloft, Topamax, Lamictal, Depakote, Lithobid, Trileptal, Gabitril,
Zonegran, Seroquel, Risperdal, Invega, Zyprexa, Abilify, Geodon, Ativan, Xanax, Valium, BuSpar, Nuvigil
various combinations with all of the above

#5 In_Remission_leeannesd

In_Remission_leeannesd
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2010 - 05:51 PM

Lithium completely eliminated my sex drive. ZERO drive. I told my psychiatrist, my psychopharmacologist--repeatedly--they said people just don't get sexual side effects with lithium. They thought it was the prozac, which I have been on nearly 20 years. I'm on only 20 mg. prozac. Tried to stop and didn't do well. Added wellbutrin. No relief. This went on for over a year. Went to a new psychopharmacologist who at least listened. We tapered down from 1200 mg. lithium to 600 mg. Lo and behold, the sex drive returned!!! Okay, not what it was, but okay. So, I do believe that I was right all along. Unfortunately, I need at least 900 mg. for stability which is still problematic for my libido. If I could find another drug to substitute, I would, but lithium is a fantastic drug for me otherwise. (weight gain sucks too, but I got 15-20 lbs. which I think I can contend with). The answer is don't let them tell you it is not the lithium!!! It can and does affect sex drive!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog