Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious

Luvox Questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_oscariam

In_Remission_oscariam
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:46 PM

I'm fairly new to the meds game, but have been dealing with GAD for years (and years, and years) and finally agreed to try medication (along with seeing a psychologist and doing all the other things I do, like exercising, eating properly and trying to get on with my life).

My doctor started me out on cipramil, but even on a tiny dose (I was taking a quarter tablet, that's like, what, 5 mg?) I was hit really hard by the sexual side effects (loss of libido and anorgasmia) and it was doing strange things to my already fucked up sleeping patterns - for years I've had problems falling asleep, but once I'm out, I'm out, on the cipramil it was reversed and I'd almost pass out at night but be wide awake at 4.30 or 5. My doctor took this stuff pretty seriously, which is a relief (I guess if sex is the one good thing you've got going and being able to sleep makes a huge difference with my levels of anxiety, that makes sense) and suggested that I switch to luvox straight away. So I didn't take my cipramil this morning and I'm taking the luvox tonight, more or less back to back.

Anyway, I start taking the tablets tonight and the doctor's suggested that again, I start on just a quarter tablet, partly to kind of get through the first few days of just being hyper-anxious.

My questions are:

- Do people find it easier to sleep on luvox? I've been getting mixed information about it and I guess I'll find out soon. Am I right to assume that because it's suggested that you take it at night, it's more likely to knock you out?

- I have some 2mg valium tablets that I was taking occasionally to deal with anxiety and panic. I'd normally take two of those when I needed it. Does anyone actually have experience taking valium with luvox? My doctor knows I have valium and suggested I take it if I needed it during the first few days and didn't really mention that the two meds might interact.

- The main reason we switched the meds was to see if luvox was less likely to cause sexual side-effects. Does anyone have experience switching from other SSRIs to luvox and whether there was any improvement for you?

- And coffee? Is that something I'm just going to have to figure out on my own? Is anyone still drinking much coffee on luvox and does it fuck you around? I realise that if insomnia's one of my issues, I shouldn't be drinking coffee and even now I don't drink caffeine after the morning, but I'm curious about how it affects others.

Any advice or general comments? I get stupidly anxious about trying new meds and I turned down going on them for so long that it's kind of overwhelming at the moment.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 In_Remission_oscariam

In_Remission_oscariam
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2009 - 11:06 PM

So, follow up:

What I've found so far is that luvox screws around with my sleeping patterns less than cipramil did and I've found it slightly sedating, but still not enough to really help my sleep. My GP's put me on seroquel to help with sleeping (which helps, a lot. Oh wow, first decent night's sleep in as long as I can remember. It honestly feels like the most helpful thing I've done yet).

I'm still not sure if the luvox is going to stop my anorgasmia. I spoke with the doctor about it last week and she said to give it a little more time and that there could still be some cipramil in my system. I'm not sure how long I should give it before I give up but I'm seeing the doctor again in four or so days and she said we'll decide then.

I've tried taking small doses of valium with luvox (like two 2 mg tablets) and I don't find it doing much. My GP's suggested I just give up on the valium and isn't comfortable with suggesting that I take anything beyond two of the 2mg tablets in one go. I'm fine with that, particularly since the seroquel seems to help take the edge of some of my anxiety at the moment. It's kind of nice to have something like valium on hand to deal with sudden panic and freakouts, but at the same time, I'm really hesitant about taking it and I don't want it to become a long-term crutch. I

And caffeine: I haven't noticed any serious problems with taking caffeine in small doses. I have a plunger of coffee in the morning and limit myself to that. It doesn't seem to be a problem.

#3 JonTom

JonTom

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Diagnoses:ADHD : BP II : OCD : CDH : SEIZURES
  • Current Meds:Dexedrine 45 mg : Geodon 120 mg : Lithium 1200 mg : Luvox 300 mg : Topomax 50 mg : Tramadol PRN

Posted 19 June 2009 - 05:51 PM

- Do people find it easier to sleep on luvox? I've been getting mixed information about it and I guess I'll find out soon. Am I right to assume that because it's suggested that you take it at night, it's more likely to knock you out?

I sleep great on Luvox. It can be very sedating.

- I have some 2mg valium tablets that I was taking occasionally to deal with anxiety and panic. I'd normally take two of those when I needed it. Does anyone actually have experience taking valium with luvox?

I took Ativan with Luvox. Valium shouldn't be any hassle, although the two will act to leave you pretty groggy unless you're super anxious.

- The main reason we switched the meds was to see if luvox was less likely to cause sexual side-effects. Does anyone have experience switching from other SSRIs to luvox and whether there was any improvement for you?

I've had no decrease in sex drive. I think orgasm is a bit delayed, though.

- And coffee? Is that something I'm just going to have to figure out on my own? Is anyone still drinking much coffee on luvox and does it fuck you around?

LOL, Yes, there have been studies showing a strong link between fluvoxamine (luvox) and a lower tolerance for caffeine.
It is a potent inhibitor of liver enzyme CYP1A2, which is a major contributor in metabolizing caffeine. The effect is caffeine lasts a good deal longer, and may have an increased affect.

I LEARNED THIS LESSON TODAY. OH, GAWD.

Any advice or general comments?

Watch out for parasthesias! I got it on my fingers, feet and face! No big deal, though. It goes away.
JonTom
ask me about any one of the many drugs i've sampled:
abilify geodon invega melaril seroquel zyprexa ativan klonopin xanax adderal concerta dextroamphetamine ritalin depakote gabapentin gabitril lamotrogine lyrica trileptal lithium verapamil effexor lexapro luvox prozac remeron trazadone wellbutrin zoloft lunesta rozarem

#4 In_Remission_oscariam

In_Remission_oscariam
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:07 PM

So far, so good with the Luvox, actually. It hasn't jerked me around anywhere near as much as cipramil did. The sex stuff's a lot better. I still don't feel a hundred percent (delayed orgasms, yup, but at least I can actually come and that's, y'know, exciting? And my libido's back to normal, I don't have any problems with basic stuff like getting wet - ha, all that. From my experience on cipramil and general reports from friends on other SSRIs, I seem to be getting a pretty good deal). More to the point, I'm actually starting to feel a bit better on it and like I might be getting some of the positive effects. I haven't had any noticeable side effects on it except for delayed orgasms. So, yup, for anyone who's considering it, it's agreed with me and it's helping with GAD stuff (because reading through posts here, sometimes it's pretty hard to find any positive feedback on meds).

#5 In_Remission_kgill78

In_Remission_kgill78
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:38 PM

I'm on my first week of luvox. It seems to be working so far I guess, I don't really know because I take klonopin for my severe anxiety. I did have to cut back on the coffee because I could definitely feel the caffeine after one cup instead of having to drink the whole pot to get myself up and going.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog