Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Will Husband's Income Affect Disability Claim?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 beek

beek

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I
  • Current Meds:Lithium 600, Lexapro 20

Posted 24 May 2009 - 08:47 PM

Since I cannot hold down a job due to my MI, I want to apply for benefits. Being that my husband earns a decent wage, will I be denied benefits?

I worked for over 15 years on the books and have paid into the system.

Thanks.
Past meds: Lamictal, Celexa, Seroquel, Rispirdal, Abilify, Duloxetine, Geodon, Lorazepam, Clozapine, Inderal, Clonazepam, Lunesta, Ambien, Rozerem.
Posted Image

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Maddy

Maddy

I <3 my meds!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Diagnoses:undifferentiated schizophrenia
  • Current Meds:Fanapt, Topamax, Ativan, Celexa

Posted 24 May 2009 - 10:20 PM

What are you applying for? SSI or SSDI? I don't know anything about SSI, so someone else will need to explain more about that. Here's a link:

http://www.ssa.gov/ssi/

I do know that when it comes to SSDI, it doesn't matter what your husband's income is as long as you have enough work credits [or quarters or something] sorry can't remember. Here's a link to the SSDI information:

http://www.ssa.gov/disability/

Hope that helps.
Forget Youth. What This World Could Use Is a Fountain of Smart.

#3 Tryn

Tryn

• Enabler
  • 390 posts
  • Diagnoses:who knows, and who really cares anyway...
  • Current Meds:Lamotrigine, Quetiapine, and Sertraline.

Posted 25 May 2009 - 01:11 AM

The short answer is yes, for SSI they include all family income and assets.

The longer answer is that if you've been working steady for the last several years you'll qualify for SSDI which goes by your previously earned income.

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

Posted Image

girrl88 is no more

I've peeled off layers

and exposed the core

#4 beek

beek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I
  • Current Meds:Lithium 600, Lexapro 20

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:08 AM

Ok, yes. SSDI is what I will be applying for.

Thanks!
Past meds: Lamictal, Celexa, Seroquel, Rispirdal, Abilify, Duloxetine, Geodon, Lorazepam, Clozapine, Inderal, Clonazepam, Lunesta, Ambien, Rozerem.
Posted Image

#5 Anna

Anna

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, most recent episode Mixed
  • Current Meds:Seroquel, Risperdal, Depakote, Provigil, Neurontin.

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:27 AM

Ok, yes. SSDI is what I will be applying for.

Thanks!

SSDI is not based on income at all, it is solely based on work credits. So if you worked for 15 years, you will qualify for SSDI. The amount of money you get will be based on what your income was, averaged over 15 years. In other words, the higher your salary was, the higher your benefit will be.

If you have any children under the age of 18 at home, they will also qualify for SSDI income, so make sure that you put in an application for them, too.

My benefit and my son's included ended up being like $1800 a month.

Anna
Anna

Diagnosed Bipolar Type I, most recently Mixed.

Current Meds: Seroquel, Risperdal, Neurontin, Provigil.

#6 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• Chief Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,120 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, Epilepsy NOS, Autism, Agoraphobia/Social Anxiety
  • Current Meds:LTG 200mg, TPM 250mg, protriptyline 40mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 45mg EPA 600

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:07 PM

See also the pages we have on applying for SSDI / SSI and the topics Q&a On The Ssdi Approval Process and Some Basic Medicare / Ssdi Questions
Jerod Poore - Owner, Founder and Chief Citizen Medical Expert of crazymeds.us
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

Wear my Straitjacket     Batshit Crazy Blog

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

#7 Tryn

Tryn

• Enabler
  • 390 posts
  • Diagnoses:who knows, and who really cares anyway...
  • Current Meds:Lamotrigine, Quetiapine, and Sertraline.

Posted 25 May 2009 - 01:51 PM

Yes SSDI is based on your work credits but you must have earned a certain amount of those work credits within the past 10 years.

Which now that I think about it, really isn't cool. I had/have enough work credits but I didn't have enough credits from within the last ten years when I was applying so they didn't count. If they would have counted I would have been getting more than what I'm getting on SSI. So really I got penalized for being too ill to work. hmmm, never really thought of it that way. Oh well, at least I'm getting something!

Edited by girrl88, 25 May 2009 - 01:52 PM.

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

Posted Image

girrl88 is no more

I've peeled off layers

and exposed the core

#8 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,500 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 500, CLZ 1.5-2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.25-.5

Posted 26 May 2009 - 01:45 PM

Yes SSDI is based on your work credits but you must have earned a certain amount of those work credits within the past 10 years.

Which now that I think about it, really isn't cool. I had/have enough work credits but I didn't have enough credits from within the last ten years when I was applying so they didn't count. If they would have counted I would have been getting more than what I'm getting on SSI. So really I got penalized for being too ill to work. hmmm, never really thought of it that way. Oh well, at least I'm getting something!

Yes, this pissed me off. The last social security statement I received said "well, you have all of these quarters, but guess what? None of them count because you decided to raise your child yourself instead of turning him over to the state." Um, ok. I guess I shouldn't have bothered starting to work at 14...

Dymphna

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog