Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting mugs
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection mugs
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar mugs
I <3 Wellbutrin mug
I <3 Wellbutrin mugs
Photo

Depakote For Anxiety

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jenn-rn

jenn-rn

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression/Anxiety
  • Current Meds:Zoloft 50mg, Xanax 0.25mg

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:01 AM

My doc wants me to take Depakote 250mg for anxiety. Nothing else has worked. From what I've read, Depakote is a nasty drug with all kinds of horrible side effects, so I'm very reluctant to start taking it. Lamictal handles my depression but I have anxiety that is really affecting my life. Seroquel is like a horse tranquilizor - I took 1/4 of a 25mg tablet last night and feel drugged this morning. I'm very irritable.

With a low dose of 250mg a day, do you think the side effects will be less dramatic? I'm a pretty small person - 110lbs - so I'm not sure.

Thoughts?

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons
Batshit Crazy buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Batshit Crazy buttons
Medicated For Your Protection buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Medicated For Your Protection buttons
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons

#2 In_Remission_Tristan

In_Remission_Tristan
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:22 AM

Not everyone has had a bad experience with Depakote. I take 2000mg a day and its a miracle drug for me with very few side effects. So just go at it with an open mind.

#3 andrea3821

andrea3821

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP II, BPD, ADHD, GAD (supposedly...)
  • Current Meds:Just a daily multivitamin!

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:33 AM

I have had virtually no side effects with Depakote. The only things I would say are that it has put me back into depression and I gained about five pounds over the last month. I would not consider it to be "nasty" at all.

For anxiety, .5mg/1mg PRN of Ativan has helped me. Have you tried any of the benzos yet? I guess the question is if you're trying to treat social anxiety or general anxiety.
Andrea

Trying to figure out if I really have what they say I have. Been off meds for about a month and I'm "normal" now. :?
Recent meds: Depakote (1000mg BID=further depression), Strattera (60mg=hypersexual and nauseous...lovely combination, but at least not depressed anymore), Ambien (10mg nightly=dependence), Ativan (1mg PRN...down to about once/month)
Past meds: Abilify (4mg=godawful akathisia), Pristiq (50mg=mania, then mixed), Zoloft (50mg=blahhhhh), Wellbutrin (150mg? for smoking cessation=the shakes), Paxil (20mg? too long ago to remember)

#4 jenn-rn

jenn-rn

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression/Anxiety
  • Current Meds:Zoloft 50mg, Xanax 0.25mg

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:41 AM

I have had virtually no side effects with Depakote. The only things I would say are that it has put me back into depression and I gained about five pounds over the last month. I would not consider it to be "nasty" at all.

For anxiety, .5mg/1mg PRN of Ativan has helped me. Have you tried any of the benzos yet? I guess the question is if you're trying to treat social anxiety or general anxiety.

How long have you been on Depakote? I can't do benzos either. I'm kind of at the end of med choices. It's either this is try to control it through counseling, which is not working well.

#5 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• Chief Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,026 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, Epilepsy NOS, Aspergers, Agoraphobia/Social Anxiety
  • Current Meds:LTG 300mg, TPM 325mg, protriptyline 60mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 60mg EPA 600

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:40 PM

With a low dose of 250mg a day, do you think the side effects will be less dramatic? I'm a pretty small person - 110lbs - so I'm not sure.

A person's size has nothing to do with potential side effects and little to do with how much of a medication they need. In general a low dosage means side effects that aren't that bad. Starting low and increasing slowly keeps it that way.

Keep in mind that Depakote inhibits how you clear Lamictal from your system. At 250mg there's not much of an impact, but at 500mg or more it will start to make a difference. More Depakote (up to a certain point) is the functional equivalent of taking more Lamictal.
Jerod Poore - Owner, Founder and Chief Citizen Medical Expert of crazymeds.us
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

Wear my Straitjacket     Batshit Crazy Blog

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

#6 Peregrine

Peregrine

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II, rapid cycling with mixed states ; hypermobility syndrome ; fibromyalgia
  • Current Meds:lamotrigine, Seroquel, lorazepam, Yaz, Ventolin, hydrocodone, multivitamin

Posted 22 April 2009 - 01:16 PM

When tapering off Depakote, I started noticing a dramatic lessening of side effects below about 500mg, so I would really think that 250mg should be reasonable from the side effect point of view unless things go awry. I may be going back on it soon, and am also hoping that a low dosage will make the side effect profile better for me! But be very careful with what Jerod said concerning the effect of Depakote on Lamictal effective dosage. Your pdoc had better be paying attention, but you should be too. Hope it works!
Current cocktail: lamotrigine (Lamictal) 400mg, Seroquel 12.5mg, lorazepam (Ativan) 0.25mg PRN, Yaz (birth control), Ventolin PRN, ibuprofen PRN, hydrocodone/APAP PRN, multivitamin and 1000 IU vitamin D daily.

Meds I can't/won't take: imipramine (and probably any other TCA), due to severe speech inhibition and slurring ; risperidone, due to lactation and other nasty side effects ; trazodone, as 1/4 of the smallest tablet (25mg, so 6.25mg) made me sleep 12-14 hours and be a zombie otherwise ; Cymbalta (despite it being awesome) due to postural orthostatic tachycardia.

We are the pilgrims; we shall go always a little further: it may be beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, across that angry or that glimmering sea, white on a throne or guarded in a cave there lives a prophet who can understand why men were born: but surely we are brave, who make the Golden Journey to Samarkand. - James Elroy Flecker, "The Golden Journey to Samarkand"

#7 Pillboxfox

Pillboxfox

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:47 PM

At 750mg a day, Depakote made me tired, stoned and slow. It did help for anxiety but in my case the Remeron and Zyprexa I take handle it better. I also take Haldol PRN for anxiety and it works.

PBF
Diagnosis: Bipolar type 2 disorder and substance abuse disorder (working hard on staying clean)
Daily med combo: Lithium 600mg + Remeron 30mg + Zyprexa 5mg (all taken at bedtime)
Lithium level: 0.5
PRN meds: Librium 10mg capsules, Haldol 2mg tabs
Emergency/crisis meds: Xanax 0.5mg tabs, Prolixin (fluphenazine) long-acting injection
Previously tried: Seroquel, Risperdal, Nozinan (levopromazine), Depakote, Lamictal, Effexor, Serzone, Trazodone, Celexa, Wellbutrin, Klonopin, Ativan, Restoril, Serax, Valium

#8 bittersweet

bittersweet

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, OCD, trichotillomania
  • Current Meds:see signature. Supplements: fish oil, B-12, C, D, calcium, magnesium, probiotics

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:26 PM

Now that I've cut back to 500 mg depakote, the tremors have gone away, I'm even watching my diet and losing weight that I gained when on up to 1500 mg of it. I wouldn't be too worried about 250 mg to start, other than the effect others mentioned about combo with Lamictal.

I'm on a combo therapy too - low dose lithium and depakote though. Can't tolerate "therapeutic" levels of either when alone, but so far the combo seems to be OK for me.
Current treatment for the mentally interesting stuff: Fanapt, fluvoxamine (luvox), melatonin, ambien. Currently in maintenance treatment with ECT- partial response. Other meds: nexium, pepcid AC, flonase spray

Meds I have tried: prozac, trazodone, desipramine, nortriptyline, other TCA's, wellbutrin, diazepam, xanax, paxil, zoloft, effexor, lithium, depakote, zyprexa, buspar, neurontin, topomax, lamictal, abilify, trileptal, various sleep meds (ambien, halcion, rozerem, lunesta), cymbalta, pristiq, nuvigil, wellbutrin XL, celexa, geodon, saphris, lexapro, viibryd, and there may be more - yes I have been called treatment-resistant!

#9 mj1127

mj1127

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, ADHD, migraine
  • Current Meds:Lithium CR, Abilify, Latuda, Adderall, Wellbutrin

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:34 PM

Have you tried Neurontin? I've found it to work very well for my anxiety, and have not experienced any side effects, except a little fatigue when I first started taking it.

Depakote is very effective for anxiety or agitation. However, it makes me depressed. It doesn't do this for everyone, but I know I can't take it, even at 250mg. I gained some weight when I took it, but it came off as soon as I stopped. I had no other real side effects other than having no migraines for the whole time I was over 1000mg. That was great.

I would try any gentler options, such as Neurontin, you haven't already tried before Depakote. If it does come to Depakote, you may have no problems at all with it; some people do. Or you may have problems. Either way, you won't know unless you try it.

MJ

Bipolar NOS, ADHD, migraine

300mg Lithium CR, 7.5mg Abilify, 40mg Latuda, 20mg Adderall BID, 150mg Wellbutrin XL

#10 In_Remission_dukewizard1986

In_Remission_dukewizard1986
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2009 - 05:37 AM

Depakote basically increases levels of GABA. It does so supposedly by increasing the levels of the enzymes that break down Glutamate into GABA. It prevents this enzyme from being broken down so more is available.

GABA is responsible for chilling out the brain and body, so taking depakote over time calms the mind. However, It will not work quickly. It will help strengthen some Benzodiazapenes because they like all tranquillizers bind to GABA receptors which reduce anxiety. Do not take more than 250 - 500mg or you will get some nasty side effects.

Now, if you have to use benzodiazapenes do so sparingly. They are not very euphoric but are very calming and therefore very addictive. They are also nearly impossible to quit if you have been using it for a long time.

#11 In_Remission_dragonslayer428

In_Remission_dragonslayer428
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:42 AM

I was given Depakote for acute migraines. Given, I was already taking an SSRI at the time, Depakote made me a nervous wreck (after a week of taking it) and caused me to have an anxiety attack (which is rare for me when I am taking my meds). I will never touch that stuff again.

#12 Classically_James

Classically_James

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • Diagnoses:see signature
  • Current Meds:See signature

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:54 PM

Haldol prn for anxiety can be very effective (and cheap). Virtually every time I've gone to the mental ward they give me 5 mg haloperidal 3 or 4 times a day, in addition to a low dose of Ativan. It might be worth a try.
James

Diagnoses:

-Major Depressive Disorder (MDDAtypical Type)

-Somatoform Pain Disorder (Psychologically Associated Subtype)

Current Crazymeds:

-Abilify (proprietary aripiprazole by Otsuka America) 7.5 mg QAM 

-Forfivo XL (proprietary bupropion hcl extended-release by Edgemont) 450 mg QAM

-Cymbalta (proprietary duloxetine delayed-release by Lilly) 120 mg QAM

-Seroquel (generic quetiapine by Lupin) 200 mg QHS

-Kemstro (generic baclofen by Zenith) 20 mg TID

Other Medications:

-Androgel 1.62% (proprietary topical testosterone gel by Abbott) 40.5 mg QAM

-Androgel 1% (proprietary topical testosterone gel by Abbott) 50 mg QAM

-Lpitor (generic atorvastatin by Dr. Reddy's) 20 mg QHS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog

Just a few designs from our Crazymeds' Clothes Line. See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$43. Or search the Amazon for your retail Nirvana.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy shirts
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting shirts
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Medicated For Your Protection shirts
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirts