Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

No More Ect?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 medi

medi

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP II, PTSD, Hypothyroidism, Migraine.
  • Current Meds:Li 600, Inderal 80, Synthroid 100, Lorazepam 2 mgs, Zolpidem 10 mgs.

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:04 AM

Anyone heard about the FDA having stepped in and banned ECT machines?
<p>Dx Axis 1: BD II. Had been diagnosed with MDD. Am sometimes also diagnosed with PTSD.Has undergone ECT in 2008.Current Meds: Lithium 600 mg, Synthroid 75 mcg, Inderal 40 mgs, Ativan 2 mg or more, as needed, Zolpidem.Have had experience with: Tricyclics (useless back then), Paxil, Celexa & Lexapro ( the three caused jitteriness&/or mixed states), Wellbutrin (also jitteriness, more severe), MAOI-B (Emsam patch)(hypomania, fun, but no way I could sit at my desk and think), Neurontin (innocuous), Depakote (too much weight gain, hair loss, sleepiness, lack of energy, and no noticeable benefit), Topamax (I'll only cite the suicidality obsession as of 75 mgs....), Lamictal (no benefit), Zyprexa (heart palpitations and shortness of breath at only 2.5 mgs), Abilify 2 mgs (serious GI pain), Calcium Channel Blockers (weak --- verrrry).

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 500, CLZ 1.5-2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.25-.5

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:30 AM

Well, as of April 1, 2008, the FDA still had them listed.

There are two American manufacturers of ECT devices: Somatics and MECTA.

If the FDA were planning on banning it, I really don't think they would be approving stuff like this:

Feb. 19, 2009
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved a humanitarian device exemption for the first implantable device that delivers intermittent electrical therapy deep within the brain to suppress the symptoms associated with severe obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD).

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved a humanitarian device exemption for the first implantable device that delivers intermittent electrical therapy deep within the brain to suppress the symptoms associated with severe obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD).

The Reclaim system uses a small electrical generator known as a pulse generator to create electrical stimulation that blocks abnormal nerve signals in the brain. This small battery-powered device is implanted near the abdomen or the collar bone and connected to four electrodes implanted in the brain through an insulated electric wire known as the lead. Two device systems may be implanted to stimulate both sides of the brain or one device may be implanted with two lead outputs.

[...]

Patients who require electroconvulsive shock therapy should not be implanted with the Reclaim device. Other patients who should not use the device include persons who will undergo magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) or deep tissue heat treatment known as diathermy.

What has happened recently (April 9, 2009) is that the FDA is requiring that manufacturers of Class III medical devices (which includes ECT machines) to "submit to FDA a summary of, and citation to, any known, or otherwise available, safety or efficacy information, including that information which has not been submitted under section 519 of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (the act) (21 U.S.C. 360i)." You can see the entire list here.

As an aside, what would really frighten me would be this one:

Radiation-Emitting Product Code

Product Device, Electroconvulsive Therapy
Regulation Description Electroconvulsive therapy device.
Product Description Neurology Microwave Medical Products
Product Code GXC
Radiation Type Microwave EMF
Regulation Number 882.5940

Microwave? Like popcorn?

Dymphna

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#3 martasi2

martasi2

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:15 AM

As an aside, what would really frighten me would be this one:

Radiation-Emitting Product Code

Product Device, Electroconvulsive Therapy
Regulation Description Electroconvulsive therapy device.
Product Description Neurology Microwave Medical Products
Product Code GXC
Radiation Type Microwave EMF
Regulation Number 882.5940

Microwave? Like popcorn?

Dymphna

We're talking about radiation as a function of electrical waves, not radioactive rays or radiation from nuclear devices, in case anyone reads this and panics. EMF stands for Electromagnetic Field, and I assume that Microwave EMF means the size and shape (fairly small) of the electrical wave contained in the ECT machine itself. Here's a link to a World Health Organization site about EMF if anyone's interested:

http://www.who.int/peh-emf/en/

and Dymphna, quit scaring people.

Edited by martasi2, 20 April 2009 - 10:16 AM.

#4 martasi2

martasi2

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:35 AM

This is a rhetorical question, right . . .

#5 Nutter 6

Nutter 6

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Diagnoses:see sig
  • Current Meds:see sig

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:58 AM

This is a rhetorical question, right . . .

Nope. If you put medi and dymphna's points together--because the FDA is going to require greater regulation, ECT may become less available (e.g., this blog explains it: http://psychcentral....-the-dinosaur/). Time will tell.

And no, no crunchy kernels of neural goodness, it's just the wavelengths that the brain operates on are small--wouldn't do much good if they used a long wavelength, like, say, FM radio, you know? This is a real source of weirdo stuff, btw--people talking about "kindling" the brain with ECT, because they are mixing up (intentionally or unintentionally) the idea of neural kindling and the kind you put in a fireplace. sheesh!
Dx: OCD, GAD, PD, ADHD, Pain due to jaw injury hyperirritable trigeminal, facial, and spinal accessory nerves following jaw injury (Two Three Four Five months now, and counting...)
Psycho Rx: Cymbalta, 90; Vyvanse, 30; Klonopin, PRN, up to 1.5 x 3;
everchanging Pain RX: Neurontin, 400; Acetaminophen 650 x 3 (sometimes with codeine); Voltaren, PRN; Physio, Upper and lower jaws splinted, Lots and lots of ice...some nutters wear tin foil hats; I like ice hats...

---
'But I don’t want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
'Oh, you can’t help that,' said the Cat. 'We’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad.'
'How do you know I’m mad?' said Alice.
'You must be,” said the Cat. 'or you wouldn’t have come here.'

#6 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 500, CLZ 1.5-2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.25-.5

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:25 PM

We're talking about radiation as a function of electrical waves, not radioactive rays or radiation from nuclear devices, in case anyone reads this and panics. EMF stands for Electromagnetic Field, and I assume that Microwave EMF means the size and shape (fairly small) of the electrical wave contained in the ECT machine itself. Here's a link to a World Health Organization site about EMF if anyone's interested:

http://www.who.int/peh-emf/en/

and Dymphna, quit scaring people.

I know... but you have to admit it - what would most people think upon seeing "Neurology Microwave Medical Products" on the side of the machine?

{sheesh - some things in life really shouldn't be so literal...}

d

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#7 martasi2

martasi2

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:57 PM

I know... but you have to admit it - what would most people think upon seeing "Neurology Microwave Medical Products" on the side of the machine?

d

Most people preparing for ECT don't check out the machinery. And doctors don't encourage it either. They don't want us cluttering our already cluttered mind w/details.

Nutter6 - tried your link, but it doesn't go where it's supposed to. Do you have another link? Thanks

#8 martasi2

martasi2

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:05 PM

Here's a Wall Street Journal (April 2009) article about ECT and FDA approval. I think this is similar to your article, nutter 6.

"Medical Devices Face New Scrutiny From FDA:
http://online.wsj.co...7438601763.html

#9 medi

medi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Current Meds:Li 600, Inderal 80, Synthroid 100, Lorazepam 2 mgs, Zolpidem 10 mgs.

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:28 AM

Here's a Wall Street Journal (April 2009) article about ECT and FDA approval. I think this is similar to your article, nutter 6.

"Medical Devices Face New Scrutiny From FDA:
http://online.wsj.co...7438601763.html

<p>Dx Axis 1: BD II. Had been diagnosed with MDD. Am sometimes also diagnosed with PTSD.Has undergone ECT in 2008.Current Meds: Lithium 600 mg, Synthroid 75 mcg, Inderal 40 mgs, Ativan 2 mg or more, as needed, Zolpidem.Have had experience with: Tricyclics (useless back then), Paxil, Celexa & Lexapro ( the three caused jitteriness&/or mixed states), Wellbutrin (also jitteriness, more severe), MAOI-B (Emsam patch)(hypomania, fun, but no way I could sit at my desk and think), Neurontin (innocuous), Depakote (too much weight gain, hair loss, sleepiness, lack of energy, and no noticeable benefit), Topamax (I'll only cite the suicidality obsession as of 75 mgs....), Lamictal (no benefit), Zyprexa (heart palpitations and shortness of breath at only 2.5 mgs), Abilify 2 mgs (serious GI pain), Calcium Channel Blockers (weak --- verrrry).

#10 medi

medi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:29 AM

d

Most people preparing for ECT don't check out the machinery. And doctors don't encourage it either. They don't want us cluttering our already cluttered mind w/details.

Nutter6 - tried your link, but it doesn't go where it's supposed to. Do you have another link? Thanks

Never realized the machines were really "old."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog