Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Generic Topiramate

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#61 nutter_froggy

nutter_froggy

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts
  • Diagnoses:Double depression, GAD, ADD, migraines
  • Current Meds:Wellbutrin, Risperdal, Topamax, migraine assault kit

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:32 PM

Although the aurae are annoying all I have to do is stop whatever smart thing I'm doing and get stupid. The aura (only the headache and tingly hands or feet stage) eventually goes away and I can do more than look at pictures. If it ever gets to stomach-tightening, anxiety and/or visual distortions I'm hosed and have to take lorazepam and call it a day.

I'm still messing around with dosages, but the inconsistency of the topiramate makes it difficult to tell what is good.

The emotional lability is really cranked up. At least it makes TV more entertaining. On the down side my appetite is for shit some nights. I can barely eat dinner sometimes. I don't need that.

All you need for the supermodel drug's understudy to do its job is be stupid. Somehow there is something ironic in that...

(And in the complete vocabulary fail I'm having, in that 'understudy' is the best word I can find right now.)

Hopefully soon which manufacturers are passably reliable will shake out.
"There comes a time you decide
What from your life will be real
What scars you will keep alive
What you are willing to heal..."

~Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Beethoven's Last Night

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#62 Ginormica

Ginormica

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Diagnoses:Ultra rapid cyc bipolar nonspec. OCD & ADHD
  • Current Meds:too many to list here.

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:18 AM

Hopefully soon which manufacturers are passably reliable will shake out.

whatever APOT is in the 200mg pill of toprimate SUCKS ASS.
I've been on it for over a week, waiting to start my zoloft. (my new ocd med, so i can hopefully start to get better) and i've woke up at almost reliably 3am nearly every morning with some mid level migraine. I CAN'T AFFORD THE RELPAX FOR THE DAMN MIGRAINES.

I tell the pharmacy, and they say, "well maybe it's your allergies."
No you dumb shits - it's not. I've not been taking any allergy meds since I got rid of my cat! (sorry, cat had to go to a new home. down to one, and she doesn't get into my stuff. so allergy is under control)
This is all happening ONLY SINCE THE GENERIC MED CHANGE.
I was taking 200 mg of TEVA 25 mg pills and was just fine.
This change happens and you guys say it's nothing, no one else has complained. I mention it again, and you say maybe it's my allergies. I can't take it. I'm on this shit for the migraines and there's SOMETHING IN IT GIVING ME THE DAMN MIGRAINES.

You guys have heard me on here praising the topimax. I love it. I'm so happy about it but right now I HATE IT.
I HATE THE APOT TOPRIMATE WITH EVERY FIBER OF MY SOUL.
I am taking the brand name samples till my doctor can get my insurance or the pharmacy to switch to another generic.
This is B.S.
I can't take it.
I'd rather wean off and not take it at all than to suffer migraines EVERY DAY. I'm calling my doctor at 8am on the dot.
(i'm being responsible about it, and i don't plan on stopping it. I need to take it.)

any one else having this mess with apot?
For Brain Cooties: topmax 300mg, adderall40-60mg, geodon 40mg (target is 160), lamictal 200mg. PRN'S: Ativan, Klonopin, & I traded my Xanax for the Ativan. 
Relpax or Immitrex (migraines). Norco (degenerative discs, need surgery) & soma that I never take.

Dx: Ultra rapid cycling bipolar, non-specific. OCD & ADHD. Got BP dx fall of 2012, pdoc has "noted" it since 2008  Past Rx: cymbalta (bad migraines) abilify (did nada, bad vision), risperdal (quit 1/10 due to extreme weight gain) frovra (doesn't work worth a crap. waste of $). geodon didn't work first time around, but I wasn't "this bad" that time around either. So far, the cocktail of topa, lamo & geo are making the biggest difference with the extreme swings, and fast frequency. I hope they help with the bad thoughts sooner rather than later.

#63 nutter_froggy

nutter_froggy

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:12 PM

The manufacturer's full name is Apotex-but anyway. Any luck yet with getting the pills replaced?

Duh question here. You said you went from taking 25 mg*8 pills to taking 200 mg pills. You were taking all the 25s at once IIRC? If you changed your dosing schedule that could amplify any issues.

I don't know how much was the generic switch, and how much was just further dose adjustment needed, but a few days after the switch to generic on the 25's, I had to tweak my dose up a bit more.

So nervous about the upcoming switch to full generic. Summer is easy season at work and I'm going to let it switch over a month earlier than I absolutely have to, so that I have July to work out any kinks before we kick into high gear for the fall.

#64 Ginormica

Ginormica

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:40 AM

I was taking 50mg teva pills (sorry bout that)
and yes - all at once (after I was doing it twice a day and forgetting too often)

I've not had any luck - i think the dang nurse isn't getting back to me for some reason.
This happens often with my doctors office.
I was suppose to go see my pdoc today - but my closing on my house came up all of a sudden today, so that got reschdulded. Hopefully I can see pdoc tomorrow and he can help me fix my topimax.
I don't care about taking generic.
I don't care if it is TEVA.
I just don't want apotex. It's the only brand that Tom Thumb carries besides Topimax name brand.
Totally sucks. But hey - I'm just one person complaining. Not a whole lot of people.

Two more days I'll have to deal with a potental migrane. (I had one yesterday on my stinking birthday of all days.)
I've got enough relpax to handle them if it gets out of control. I'm praying it doesn't though, cuz that's all I've got enough for.
It's just very, very frustrating.
I've left voicemails for the doctor again. And it's not like I can just stop and run up there in the middle of doing walk throughs for the house and closing on the house and plus the added stress of that isn't making it easy to not take the relpax. It's making it almost neccessary when it hits that boundry line of "Yep, this is something that excedrin migraine is not going to handle for me" has been reached. My doctor is an hours drive and he knows how far away I am. I won't change to a closer doc since I've had him for so long, and finding a GOOD DOCTOR who knows all your meds, who knows all your in's and out's and ups and downs and all your docs and KNOWS YOUR CHART - and it's worth that drive to you - it makes it not worth changing to a closer doc just to be treated like a number with one page of a chart rather than the inches your chart may be.

So - I'm sticking it out.
I won't stop taking the topimax.
I love how it was helping me. I know it can still help me. I just need to figure out what to do between now and my next refill.
If you are able to find out if Ortho-McNeil makes their own generic - try to get that one.

does anyone know who that might be?

I did notice the hand and feet tingles have come back ten fold since I got back on the topimax brand name this week. (wasn't eating any banana's either to help) does that mean that this particular side effect is just stronger - or that topimax alone is stronger?
For Brain Cooties: topmax 300mg, adderall40-60mg, geodon 40mg (target is 160), lamictal 200mg. PRN'S: Ativan, Klonopin, & I traded my Xanax for the Ativan. 
Relpax or Immitrex (migraines). Norco (degenerative discs, need surgery) & soma that I never take.

Dx: Ultra rapid cycling bipolar, non-specific. OCD & ADHD. Got BP dx fall of 2012, pdoc has "noted" it since 2008  Past Rx: cymbalta (bad migraines) abilify (did nada, bad vision), risperdal (quit 1/10 due to extreme weight gain) frovra (doesn't work worth a crap. waste of $). geodon didn't work first time around, but I wasn't "this bad" that time around either. So far, the cocktail of topa, lamo & geo are making the biggest difference with the extreme swings, and fast frequency. I hope they help with the bad thoughts sooner rather than later.

#65 nutter_froggy

nutter_froggy

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:15 PM

I haven't been able to find a generic made by Ortho yet. I haven't asked my pharm since right after it came out, though, and if there is one she probably knows by now. She's good like that. One of the reasons I stayed with her even when I was living 30 miles away-not only will she find out who the authorized generic mfr is, she generally tries to carry that one for everyone unless it's a serious cost issue or an older drug. If she can't, she tries to stay consistent with whichever one she *is* carrying, and she will special order anything on request.

Can Tom Thumb order something different for you? That would drive me bonkers. But I'm spoiled now.

I completely get staying with the doctor. My primary has been my doc since I was 6. I've followed him from practice to practice and, yup, driven an hour to see him :-)

I hope you can get it straightened out soon, and Happy (slightly late) Birthday!-even if you did have a migraine. That sucks ASS.

#66 rkontos

rkontos

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 169 posts
  • Diagnoses:DD, migraines, partial seizures, panic disorder

Posted 11 June 2009 - 12:20 AM

I went off my topamax quite stupidly, ran out. I hoped my migraines would be better. But Panic attacks at an all time high and p-doc thought that the topamax was helping to stablize my moods and in turn help with anxiety. So he and my internist thought I should go back on it.

Now I forgot a generic version was coming out and when my husband picked it up, I couldn't make it, more health issues, it a generic made by Zydus Pharmacue. Anyone else heard of it.

I haven't started it because I am not sure. I could ask p-doc about prescribing the real deal. But the price difference is a nice thing.

Anyone else have this particular one from this manufacturer. I got it from CVS. I could ask them if they have other versions.

I did not start it immediately because my new endocrinologist, whom I am not sure I like yet despite coming highly recommended, switched my thyroid medication and I did not want to start two new meds at the same time.

thanks for any information.

rsk

Edited by rkontos, 11 June 2009 - 12:21 AM.

"I think there's a great beauty to having problems. That's one of the ways we learn."
-- Herbie Hancock, musician.

meds: wellbutrin-225mg. topamax-100mg. armour-45mg. xanax .75 and other shit for my adrenals
too much to name here.

#67 Ginormica

Ginormica

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 03:36 AM

I went off my topamax quite stupidly, ran out. I hoped my migraines would be better. But Panic attacks at an all time high and p-doc thought that the topamax was helping to stablize my moods and in turn help with anxiety. So he and my internist thought I should go back on it.

Now I forgot a generic version was coming out and when my husband picked it up, I couldn't make it, more health issues, it a generic made by Zydus Pharmacue. Anyone else heard of it.

I haven't started it because I am not sure. I could ask p-doc about prescribing the real deal. But the price difference is a nice thing.

Anyone else have this particular one from this manufacturer. I got it from CVS. I could ask them if they have other versions.

I did not start it immediately because my new endocrinologist, whom I am not sure I like yet despite coming highly recommended, switched my thyroid medication and I did not want to start two new meds at the same time.

thanks for any information.

rsk

I would at least give it a try.
It's better than not having it at all I've found.

#68 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• Chief Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,073 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, Epilepsy NOS, Autism, Agoraphobia/Social Anxiety
  • Current Meds:LTG 200mg, TPM 250mg, protriptyline 30mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 45mg EPA 600

Posted 17 June 2009 - 02:40 PM

If you are able to find out if Ortho-McNeil makes their own generic - try to get that one.

does anyone know who that might be?

The Johnson & Johnson (who own Ortho-McNeil and Janssen) subsidiary that makes generics is Patriot Pharmaceuticals. They manufacture generic risperidone but not topiramate.

Here are the current FDA-approved manufacturers:

Roxane Laboratories, Par Pharmaceuticals, Mylan Pharmaceuticals, Barr Laboratories, TEVA Pharmaceuticals USA, Ranbaxy Laboratories, CIPLA, Glenmark Generics, Cobalt Laboratories, Apotex, Zydus Pharmaceuticals USA, Aurobindo Pharma, Torrent Pharmaceuticals, Invagen Pharmaceuticals, Unichem Laboratories, Sun Pharmaceuticals, and Pliva Hrvatska.

I'm going to ask if my pharmacist if they can get Roxane. I can't tell the difference between brand Vivactil and Roxane's protriptyline (they even cost about the same, close to $400 a month), and nobody complains about Roxane's lithium. Generic lithium carbonate is often so crappy you may as well get OTC lithium orotate, except the lithium carbonate is usually cheaper.

I got brand Topamax for my most recent refills, as it's the time of year I have to pay full cost for whatever I buy, so my insurance company doesn't care if I ask for the brand. The TEVA was just too variable.
Jerod Poore - Owner, Founder and Chief Citizen Medical Expert of crazymeds.us
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

Wear my Straitjacket     Batshit Crazy Blog

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

#69 Tryn

Tryn

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Enabler
  • 390 posts
  • Diagnoses:who knows, and who really cares anyway...
  • Current Meds:Lamotrigine, Quetiapine, and Sertraline.

Posted 18 June 2009 - 03:43 PM

Medicaid (in Texas) is still giving me brand name Topamax.

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

Posted Image

girrl88 is no more

I've peeled off layers

and exposed the core

#70 nutter_froggy

nutter_froggy

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:09 PM

The Johnson & Johnson (who own Ortho-McNeil and Janssen) subsidiary that makes generics is Patriot Pharmaceuticals. They manufacture generic risperidone but not topiramate.

Here are the current FDA-approved manufacturers:

Roxane Laboratories, Par Pharmaceuticals, Mylan Pharmaceuticals, Barr Laboratories, TEVA Pharmaceuticals USA, Ranbaxy Laboratories, CIPLA, Glenmark Generics, Cobalt Laboratories, Apotex, Zydus Pharmaceuticals USA, Aurobindo Pharma, Torrent Pharmaceuticals, Invagen Pharmaceuticals, Unichem Laboratories, Sun Pharmaceuticals, and Pliva Hrvatska.

I'm going to ask if my pharmacist if they can get Roxane. I can't tell the difference between brand Vivactil and Roxane's protriptyline (they even cost about the same, close to $400 a month), and nobody complains about Roxane's lithium. Generic lithium carbonate is often so crappy you may as well get OTC lithium orotate, except the lithium carbonate is usually cheaper.

I got brand Topamax for my most recent refills, as it's the time of year I have to pay full cost for whatever I buy, so my insurance company doesn't care if I ask for the brand. The TEVA was just too variable.

Okay, I knew about the risperidone, since that's what I get. It tripped me out the first time, especially since it came blister-packed and the box said it was from Puerto Rico, but it's pretty well indistinguishable from the original except for saying "Ris" instead of having Janssen's imprint. I thought that they'd farmed out the 'official' generic, though, and didn't realize it was a wholly-owned subsidiary. I'm going to talk with my pharmacist tomorrow and see what she can get.

#71 nutter_froggy

nutter_froggy

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:41 AM

TEVA. That's all she can get. Argh. I just stooped to calling her main competitor, another independent that's literally across the street, and they can only get in one, but it's Cobalt.

Dammit, Ortho, make your own generic for us!

#72 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,073 posts
  • Current Meds:LTG 200mg, TPM 250mg, protriptyline 30mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 45mg EPA 600

Posted 23 June 2009 - 02:46 PM

One of the pharmacists called me a couple of hours ago. She spoke with their distributor who called someone at Roxane.

Roxane won't have their topiramate on the market for at least another six months.

Yet they already have FDA approval. I realize it's a huge gamble to have manufactured a shitload of pills prior to approval, but being that far away from production prior to approval? How does the FDA know someone is really ready to produce something that meets the +/- 20% bioequivalence standard without some actual product? Isn't that one reason why generics are so expensive at the beginning, because the manufacturer isn't fully ramped up?

No wonder there are so many bogus generics on the market. The FDA will approve a drug that doesn't exist! It's all on paper! Those fuckers could have bought some Topamax for any bioequivalence tests they may have bothered to do to get approval.
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

#73 nutter_froggy

nutter_froggy

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 03:29 PM

Oh good lord. Well that explains why no one around here carries it!

Teva is most popular around here. Apotex is relatively easy to find. Medco said they had Zydus and (I think) Aurobindo... although who knows how trustworthy those reps are. If I stoop to CVS there is a decent number of choices, and I found one very nice gentleman there who understood the situation and knew how to play the system to get what was necessary. I think they had Par, Glenmark, Mylan, Invagen, Torrent, CIPLA, Sun, Apotex, maybe Ranbaxy, and Cobalt.

Anyone got a suggestion? I'm thinking Mylan(ta).

#74 nutter_froggy

nutter_froggy

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 11:01 AM

I've now been on the generic 100 mg for about a week. Pitched a FIT at the pharmacy (actually switched-they'd screwed something else up quite royally-but the lead tech called and I wound up switching back. Heh) and they searched their entire supply chain one more time; turned out that Sun/Caraco was available, and actually cheaper, but they had to get a much larger stock bottle.

That whole weekend was rather a nightmare, since I was out of the 100 mg tablets and was filling in with 25 mg TEVAs; there was confusion and I ran out abruptly, so there was no transition. Since they're uncoated I wound up spacing them out as best I could. I also had to skip a dose on the WB because I was almost out of it, the dosing schedule changes made me forget my afternoon Risperdal... argh. I had a migraine five days out of six between Friday and Wednesday.

The Sun seems to be working fine, though; I actually dropped the night 37.5 mg last Monday (which is probably responsible for at least one of the migraines). I figured it might be worth trying to reset my dose since it was already screwed up, and I'd found out just how fuzzy-headed it really was making me. Right now I'm doing okay after a few days to adjust to the lower dose. Interestingly, it seems to mess with my blood sugar more at the lower dose-I'd forgotten about the "eat now or suffer the consequences" episodes.

#75 SoLongThanksForAllTheFish

SoLongThanksForAllTheFish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:20 PM

My wife tried the generic but her migraines broke thru so its back to the brand name for her.

I'm still burning down my backlog of brand name Topamax. Not quite sure if I'll ask pdoc for a brand-name prescription, or allow myself to be a guinea pig for Teva. Based on what I'm seeing here I'm leaning towards the former.

#76 cherries

cherries

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Diagnoses:some flavor of craziness

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:30 PM

I realize that lot of generics just are not the same. I recall the big deal with depakote and valporic acid. I took depakote and they once tried to fill it with VPA and it did not work out.
Is this the same problem with topamax-is it sort of related to Topiramate in the same way depakote is to VPA?" I know that does not sound all scientific and all --but are they just sort of chemically related?

Edited by cherries, 31 July 2009 - 03:06 PM.

"Well, I take this medicine as prescribed
It don't matter if I get a little tired
I'll sleep when I'm dead"

Warren Zevon

#77 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,073 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 02:18 PM

Is this the same problem with topamax-is it sort of related to Topiramate in the same way depakote is to VPA?" I know that does not sound all scientific and all --but are they just sort of chemically related?

Topamax is the brand name for topiramate.

How many times in how many places do I have to write that Depakote IS NOT THE SAME AS VALPROIC ACID?

Actual generic divalproex sodium is now available. Valproic acid is aningredient of divalproex sodium, along with valproate sodium (Which is used in most other industrialized countries and has a gazillion names. Except for Canadia, where they call Depakote "Epival.")

If somebody mushed Tegretol and Trileptal together into a new med called Tegrelep and people thought carbamazepine with the generic for Tegrelep, then you'd have a similar situation for the relationship between Depakote and valproic acid.

#78 cherries

cherries

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:30 PM

Maybe I am too confused to be able to ask an intelligent question, however, what I was trying to ask was this-
I know that depakote and VPA are not the same drug. Got that. However, they are ( or used to be) frequently
substituted for each other. I recall this from when I worked and when I was in the hospital and took depakote . They explained to me that they felt they were close enough to substitute and VPA was so much cheaper.
So my question was just that- was there the same relationship with topamax? But I see you explained it was not , indeed it was the generic and not another drug they just are substituting for topamax.
That was what I was trying to ask.
I will be glad when my brain starts working again.

Warren Zevon

#79 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,073 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:57 PM

So my question was just that- was there the same relationship with topamax? But I see you explained it was not , indeed it was the generic and not another drug they just are substituting for topamax.
That was what I was trying to ask.

I do have the generic name for the med on the drug pages.

I started this site as one bigass FAQ. That was one of the frequently asked questions. Is X the generic for Y / is Y the generic for X.

Hell, the generic name is with the brand name(s) on the table of contents.

#80 cherries

cherries

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:27 PM

Alright Jerod, You have made your point. Obliviously, I'm just stupid- I get it.

Warren Zevon

#81 In_Remission_seizure free 10Yr

In_Remission_seizure free 10Yr
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2009 - 12:17 PM

I switch from bran (Topamax) to generic (Topiramate). I have insurance and they switch me not me or my doctor.
my co-pay is now $5.00 :mad: But, after a week on it, I didn't feel right. I had some weird feelings in my muscals.
Anyways I told my doctor and switched back to bran name only. When I went to the pharmacie to fill my med. the
cost now for a name brand under my insurance was: $30.00 for 30 days or 20% of cost for 30 days which ever higher.
Mine was the 20% cost. My question is: Is Topamax and Topiramate the same drug ?
If I need to which to the generic so that I can afford it, what is the right dosage of Topiramate to equal Topamax.
I have looked on the web for anything to find an answer for the right dosage comparison for bran vs. generic and found none.
Any suggestions ?

#82 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,073 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:05 PM

My question is: Is Topamax and Topiramate the same drug ?

I think the five posts previous to yours have established that topiramate is the same drug as Topamax.

Whether any manufacturer's version of topiramate is the equivalent to Ortho-McNeil's Topamax is something else entirely.

If I need to which to the generic so that I can afford it, what is the right dosage of Topiramate to equal Topamax.
I have looked on the web for anything to find an answer for the right dosage comparison for bran vs. generic and found none.
Any suggestions ?

Without an expensive drug assay, there's no way to tell how any generic drug compares with the brand. If the generic doesn't seem to be working for you the rule of thumb is 100mg of generic = 80mg of brand. I think that's how the math works, if the generic is 80% bioequivalent.

That still assumes the generic is a potent as it's supposed to be. Plus it could always be more potent than the brand, as that happens sometimes.

#83 Tryn

Tryn

• Enabler
  • 390 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:51 AM

Hubby went to get my meds today. The girl at the pharmacy told him that Ortho is no longer making Topamax in the 100mg pills and that's why she had to give me generic Teva 100s.

Can anyone verify if it is true that Ortho is no longer making the 100mg pills. I haven't a clue as to how to go about that.

Posted Image

girrl88 is no more

I've peeled off layers

and exposed the core

#84 therapeuticbrigg84

therapeuticbrigg84

Would-be Neurologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Diagnoses:generalized anxiety, social anxiety, fibro/insomnia (schizotypal catch all)
  • Current Meds:GBP 300mg, HCTZ 25mg, ARTANE 2-4mg PRN, TRAZ 50mg PRN, fish oil

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:04 AM

well, i tried the generic version and the regular version, and i think jerod's right in that 100 mg of the generic=about 80mg of the name brand. cuz when i started taking the name brand i felt i was stupider than i was on the generic. The generic seemed to work just about as much as the name brand if not better.

dx: schizotypal personality disorder, dystonic neck and back pain, GERD. a bit of TD, akathisia, dysmorphic thoughts, affect is questionable

seroquel and inderal 60mg made me fatigued/ depressed. may hafta try lopressor or bisoprolol

inderal interacts with ssris and anti-psychs.

success HCTZ not only lowers my blood pressure and pulse more effectively. but it also has helped with the headaches ive been having. i should see a doctor about this.

[color="#0000FF"]rx: klonopin .5-1 prn, omega 3 fish oil, vitamin D3 iu, albuterol sulfate inhaler, magnesium hydroxide(for the constipationg)

in flux: seroquel 50mg
up and coming: nuvigil

looking into injectables.

artane 2 mg PRN(rare), trazodone 50mg PRN, lyrica PRN?

#85 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,460 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 500, CLZ 1.5-2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.25-.5

Posted 28 August 2009 - 11:02 AM

Hubby went to get my meds today. The girl at the pharmacy told him that Ortho is no longer making Topamax in the 100mg pills and that's why she had to give me generic Teva 100s.

Can anyone verify if it is true that Ortho is no longer making the 100mg pills. I haven't a clue as to how to go about that.

They're BSing you. And you might want to make sure they aren't charging your insurer for name brand and giving you generic.

Ortho is not only making 100mg pills, they still have patent protection for migraine prophylaxis.

D

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#86 Tryn

Tryn

• Enabler
  • 390 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:36 PM

They're BSing you. And you might want to make sure they aren't charging your insurer for name brand and giving you generic.

Ortho is not only making 100mg pills, they still have patent protection for migraine prophylaxis.

D

Thanks so much Dymphna! I knew it didn't sound right but didn't want to go back and ask without having any info of my own.

I'm one of the few that takes Topa as a mood stabilizer. I previously asked my pdoc about what would happen when I was finally forced to go generic - she said I have to do at least a month on the generic before Medicaid will allow me to go back to brand. Fortunately I've got a good little stockpile of topa built up so at least I don't have to change over right now, I get a chance to ease into the idea of it. When I start taking the generic I'll try to remember to start up a blog to track my moods, sleep and whatnot.

Posted Image

girrl88 is no more

I've peeled off layers

and exposed the core

#87 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,073 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:50 AM

Absolutely

Other than a pharmacist not wanting to deal with an insurance company and/or a husband not understanding the explanation given and just making something up, there's one more reason for the confusion.

Topamax used to me manufactured by Janssen Pharmaceuticals. The 100 & 200mg pills had "Topamax" printed on one side and the dosage printed on the other. Topamax is now manufactured by Ortho-McNeil Neurologics. The colors haven't changed, but the imprints are now OMN on one side and the dosage on the other. That looks more like a generic than a brand-name pill.

Both of those companies are wholly-owned subsidiaries of Ortho-McNeil-Janssen Pharmaceuticals, which in turn is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson. There may be one or more corporate layers involved somewhere.

Janssen's mission statement has changed. They used to be about any form of brain cooties. Now they're only about crazy. For some reason they consider autism as a form of crazy.

The surest way is to look in a PDR for a current year. If the brand name has an entry, then you know it's still being manufactured by someone. Absence of a brand name doesn't always mean it's not being made, as not every PI sheet gets submitted in time, if at all, each year for whatever reasons. PDRs are available at a lot of public and publicly-accessible medical libraries.

The FDA website is too Byzantine to figure out if the branded med is still manufactured by the pioneering company or someone else. This is one thing where RTFM is too fucking difficult to do, so asking around is the best option.

#88 gizmo

gizmo

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar, anxiety
  • Current Meds:Cocktail Currently Under Review

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:17 PM

I just filled my script for topamax for the first time as a generic. Finances kept me from filling it as a brand name for the first time in more than 3 years. I mainly take it for migraine prevention, and a little mood stabilization thrown in.

My script bottle says the manufacturer is "MYL". Can anyone shed light on this company, and what their reputation regarding generic drugs is?

Thanks a million!

#89 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,460 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 500, CLZ 1.5-2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.25-.5

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:02 PM

I believe MYL is Mylan.

D

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#90 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,073 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:04 AM

My script bottle says the manufacturer is "MYL".

Apparently there is no standard for abbreviations on the bottles. Google couldn't find any for me and a quick rummaging through old pill bottles revealed three-, four- and five-character variants, along with Walgreens' printing the full name. Score one for them.

I did find a rather http://www.pharmacy.org/company.html

As I keep writing all over the place, we've had a list of pill-identifier sites for several years. So if all else fails the cryptic numbers can tell you who made whatever that pill is.

Can anyone shed light on this company, and what their reputation regarding generic drugs is?

One positive report for their topiramate. I've not read much about them one way or the other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog