Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious

Effexor Xr And Trazodone?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_effuxor83

In_Remission_effuxor83
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:58 AM

:mad: Okay so I was just given both a little over a week ago. 75mg of Effexor in the morning and 100mg of Trazodone. At first I felt great and now I'm all over the place. Happy, sad, angry, real confused, hyper, and tired. For the past couple of days I have felt like this every day, almost like being stoned at times. I'm not mixing it with anything else (other drugs, alcohol). I'm wondering if it's just side effects or if this will last? Or if it's safe or not to mix the two. I read that I may be at risk for serotonin syndrome by mixing?? Please, any feedback would help. Thanks!!

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Darknessiss

Darknessiss

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I mania with psychotic features, SAD (Social Phobia), ADHD (Combined Type)
  • Current Meds:Seroquel , Effexor XR, Vyvanse, Coumadin (warfarin)

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:37 AM

:mad: Okay so I was just given both a little over a week ago. 75mg of Effexor in the morning and 100mg of Trazodone. At first I felt great and now I'm all over the place. Happy, sad, angry, real confused, hyper, and tired. For the past couple of days I have felt like this every day, almost like being stoned at times. I'm not mixing it with anything else (other drugs, alcohol). I'm wondering if it's just side effects or if this will last? Or if it's safe or not to mix the two. I read that I may be at risk for serotonin syndrome by mixing?? Please, any feedback would help. Thanks!!

I was off all anti-depressant medications for about 8 months and was using cocaine every day and one day I was feeling really tired from staying up late getting high so I decided to take 150mg Effexor XR capsule, within 1 hour I was feeling way better and much more positive and energetic with a smile on my face all day. It was such a strong feeling of wellness that I decided to get back on Effexor.

I have taken 600mg Effexor for a couple days straight and felt really messed up like I was super focused. I guess that stoned feeling is over focusing.
I hear that treatment resistant ADHD can be medicated to some extent with a very large dose of Effexor as it will inhibit norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake at such high doses.

Is that helpful in any way?
- Dark :)
Prescribed Meds: Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate) 70mg, Seroquel (quetiapine fumarate) 600mg, Effexor XR (venlafaxine Hcl) 300mg, Coumadin (warfarin) 5mg

Supplements: 1000mg Omega-3 (fish oil gels), Mega Men's Supplement (for libido)

DEATH be not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and dreadfull, for, thou art not so,
For, those, whom thou think'st, thou dost overthrow,
Die not, poore death, nor yet canst thou kill me.

John Donne 1572 ? 31 March 1631

#3 HappyGirl

HappyGirl

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Diagnoses:PTSD,depressio
  • Current Meds:effexor,traz,topomax

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:42 PM

I'm taking Trazadone 300mg and Effexor 150mg and seem to be doing okay with both, although I now have very vivid dreams.

#4 cybah

cybah

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Diagnoses:ADHD, Major Mood Depression (Neurological), Generalized Anxiety Disorder
  • Current Meds:Effexor XR 300mg, Concerta 57mg, Trazodone 100mg (for sleep)

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:03 AM

I'm going to ASSUME that you take the trazadone for sleeping! (I've never heard of anyone taking that as an anti depressant.)

I've been on trazadone for over a decade (yes really) for sleep issues (which now I realize were related to my mental health), but I still take it often to help me go to sleep easlier.

It does cause vivid dreams, but I've gotten used to them (and they are far better/interesting than when i took that nasty anti-smoking drug "Chantix" which the dreams were just scary).

I've never heard of any real side effects from trazadone like you have had, but I have had similar experience starting out on Effexor XR. Its most likely the Effexor.

I'm not a doctor, but I believe that it is safe to take trazadone and effexor. Actually the psych that prescribed me the Effexor, offered me some to help me sleep (because it does make you zippy and can cause insomnia). She was surprised that I was already taking it. My current psych always asks if I need refills of trazadone (but my PCP pretty much gave me an endless refill of it).

I hope that helps...
Diagnosis: Major Mood Depression, ADHD, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Addiction Issues (Pot + Everything)
Medications: Effexor 300mg (150mg 2x daily), Concerta 57mg (Mornings), Ritalin 10mg (for a boost in the PM), Trazodone 100mg (at bedtime for sleep)
Supplements: Multi-Vitamin (daily), Fish Oil 1200mg (At meals)

Previous Medications Tried: Zoloft (did nothing), Paxil (just plain evil), Lexapro (nada), Celexa (nada), Wellbutrin (Made me violent), Prozac (poop'd out), Xanax, Ativan (both made me to sleepy), & Klonopin (just plain addictive!)

Other medical conditions: HIV+ since 2000, I take Atrpila (Efavirenz, Emtricitabine, & Tenofovir combo drug), High Triglycerides, and over weight.

#5 In_Remission_VirtuallyDevious

In_Remission_VirtuallyDevious
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:10 AM

Trazodone only becomes an effective antidepressant at ridiculously high dosages, so 100mg Trazodone + Effexor is going to be just fine for you. 75mg isn't that high for Effexor anyway.

If it makes you feel any better, I took 300mg of Effexor and 50-100mg of Trazodone daily (well, nightly) and never had a problem (though waking up sure sucked). As far as being stoned goes... that could be the Trazodone in effect. The first 3-4 weeks I took it I was practically zombielike with drug hangover. It gets better. It was livable for me.

#6 In_Remission_effuxor83

In_Remission_effuxor83
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2009 - 06:49 PM

Thanks to all who have replied! I am feeling better on the Effexor, although I feel my depression slowly coming back. I am going to try a higher dose and hope that does some good.

I went to the ER because my pulse was racing so high without a break. The doctor blamed it on the Effexor and gave me a prescription for Ativan. I much prefer the Trazodone to counteract the Effexor at night so I will continue to try the two together.

On a positive note, I am successfully coming off of alcohol and I'd like to thank the new meds for help with that. I'm also trying a new psychologist next week and working on fully changing my life, hoping I can take ahold of this depression and actually live for once.

I hope the best for all of you as well. I know this is hell guys, but at least we have each other.

XO

#7 Mr_West

Mr_West

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I
  • Current Meds:Lamictal 100mg, Bupropion 300mg

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:33 AM

Thanks to all who have replied! I am feeling better on the Effexor, although I feel my depression slowly coming back. I am going to try a higher dose and hope that does some good.

I went to the ER because my pulse was racing so high without a break. The doctor blamed it on the Effexor and gave me a prescription for Ativan. I much prefer the Trazodone to counteract the Effexor at night so I will continue to try the two together.

On a positive note, I am successfully coming off of alcohol and I'd like to thank the new meds for help with that. I'm also trying a new psychologist next week and working on fully changing my life, hoping I can take ahold of this depression and actually live for once.

I hope the best for all of you as well. I know this is hell guys, but at least we have each other.

XO

A higher dose or a split morning and afternoon dosing schedule can help get the Effexor to stabilize at a more effective level. Putting the alcohol behind you is going to do a lot with the Effexor too. Effexor and alcohol can be a dangerous combination.
________________________________________________________________________________
Not a medical professional. I have been asked whether I am a magician or scientist. Maybe I am neither, maybe I'm both. Take things I've written more than a year or two ago with more than a couple grains of salt, because people learn. I mean who thinks that when the house cat finally catches that bunny rabbit in the yard the bunny is going to kick the cat's ass, but once you see it you have to reconcile it with your existing view of the world.

CYP 2D6 *10, *39

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog