Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Batshit Crazy mug
Batshit Crazy
Photo

How Are The Food Cravings On Pristiq Vs. Cymbalta Or Effexor?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Paris

Paris

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression & ADD. Possibly Bi-Polar, Schizoaffective or something else as well.
  • Current Meds:Adderall, Cymbalta, Zonegran, Buspar, Seroquel, Thyrolar, Tenex, Klonopin & other PRNs.

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:02 PM

I was on Effexor for 10 years-1998 to 2008-it was very effective for depression, but I had massive food cravings and couldn't stand that or the brain fog, spaciness, etc.

In 2008 I got a new doctor who finally diagnosed me w/ ADD and that's when I started Adderall. He said Effexor causes more sedation and isn't good for weight reasons, etc. and so I tried several other ADs: Prozac, Zoloft, Lexapro, Luvox, Remeron, Wellbutrin, etc. Most of them (except Wellbutrin) gave me that creepy, tired, foggy, anti-social feeling and didn't really help w/ the depression much. Most of them also seemed to interfere w/ the Adderall.

I started Cymbalta a couple of months ago and it has helped w/ the depression, but I have those awful food cravings all the time again. I also have problems peeing & pooping which I didn't before. I'm bloated & feel like I've got PMS all the time. Also, it seems to wear off after 7 or 8 hours.

When I go to my next doctor's appointment, I can't decide between Pristiq or Paxil (which I haven't tried yet).

Anyway, I was wondering-for people who have tried all three: Cymbalta, Effexor, & Pristiq-did Pristiq cause less food cravings than Cymbalta or Effexor?

Edited by Paris, 12 March 2009 - 11:42 PM.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Batshit Crazy buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Batshit Crazy
Medicated For Your Protection buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 andrea3821

andrea3821

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP II, BPD, ADHD, GAD (supposedly...)
  • Current Meds:Just a daily multivitamin!

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:58 AM

did Pristiq cause less food cravings than Cymbalta or Effexor?

I haven't tried the latter two, but I did try Pristiq, which made me sooo not hungry. I had to make myself eat, and would only remember when my stomach started growling at me. Lost 5 pounds in the week I was on it. The downside is that the drug is expensive as it's brand new/no generic.
Andrea

Trying to figure out if I really have what they say I have. Been off meds for about a month and I'm "normal" now. :?
Recent meds: Depakote (1000mg BID=further depression), Strattera (60mg=hypersexual and nauseous...lovely combination, but at least not depressed anymore), Ambien (10mg nightly=dependence), Ativan (1mg PRN...down to about once/month)
Past meds: Abilify (4mg=godawful akathisia), Pristiq (50mg=mania, then mixed), Zoloft (50mg=blahhhhh), Wellbutrin (150mg? for smoking cessation=the shakes), Paxil (20mg? too long ago to remember)

#3 BearFan

BearFan

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Current Meds:Xanax XR and Moclobermide 300mg

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:21 PM

I think there is some variance on how the medications effect each person. However, Cymbalta often made me nauseous but incredibly bloated and constipated ALL the time. It made me so self conscience and my stomach looked huge. Effexor really didn't trigger a lot of cravings, but I was only on small dosages when I tried it (75-112.5). Pristiq, for the small time I was on it, did occasionally cause intense cravings for no reason, but made me really anxious for no reason, and I couldn't stand it for too long. I also had a tad bit of bloating and constipation, but really no where near the effect of Cymbalta. My guess is since you did so well on Effexor, give Prisitq a shot first, since many long term effexor users tend to do a bit better on Pristiq (although some do worse). My guess is that Paxil won't give that much of a difference compared to the other SSRIs.

#4 In_Remission_wendy

In_Remission_wendy
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:26 AM

Was on Effexor 8 years gained 40-50 pounds. Ate a carton of Ice cream every night. Went off Effexor. Lost the weight. Became depressed again, this time I'm taking Pristiq (and Wellbutrin) and I crave these certain cookies and eat a package of them a day. I try not to get them, but it's like I'm on auto pilot......I crave them till I get them. Coincedence? I think not (at least not for me) Good thing I saved my fat clothes.

#5 Darknessiss

Darknessiss

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I mania with psychotic features, SAD (Social Phobia), ADHD (Combined Type)
  • Current Meds:Seroquel , Effexor XR, Vyvanse, Coumadin (warfarin)

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:41 AM

In 2008 I got a new doctor who finally diagnosed me w/ ADD and that's when I started Adderall. He said Effexor causes more sedation and isn't good for weight reasons, etc. and so I tried several other ADs: Prozac, Zoloft, Lexapro, Luvox, Remeron, Wellbutrin, etc. Most of them (except Wellbutrin) gave me that creepy, tired, foggy, anti-social feeling and didn't really help w/ the depression much. Most of them also seemed to interfere w/ the Adderall.

I know that anti-psychotics like Risperdal, Zyprexa, and Seroquel interfere with Adderall (something to do with blocking dopamine receptors).

I started Cymbalta a couple of months ago and it has helped w/ the depression, but I have those awful food cravings all the time again. I also have problems peeing & pooping which I didn't before. I'm bloated & feel like I've got PMS all the time. Also, it seems to wear off after 7 or 8 hours.

Wow, I have the constipation problems with Effexor XR and Seroquel. (I believe that is just a dehydration issue as on these meds I only want to drink Coke/ Pepsi products and really just don't enjoy drinking water anymore)

When I go to my next doctor's appointment, I can't decide between Pristiq or Paxil (which I haven't tried yet).

"Paxil is the devil's drug"- my mom hates Paxil because she had a horrific case of tardive dyskenisia after 2 weeks use and it took years to go away!

Prescribed Meds: Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate) 70mg, Seroquel (quetiapine fumarate) 600mg, Effexor XR (venlafaxine Hcl) 300mg, Coumadin (warfarin) 5mg

Supplements: 1000mg Omega-3 (fish oil gels), Mega Men's Supplement (for libido)

DEATH be not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and dreadfull, for, thou art not so,
For, those, whom thou think'st, thou dost overthrow,
Die not, poore death, nor yet canst thou kill me.

John Donne 1572 ? 31 March 1631

#6 Katiebug683

Katiebug683

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Diagnoses:Anxiety and Depression
  • Current Meds:40mg citalopram, .5mg clonazepam as needed

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:48 AM

Effexor made me not want to eat at first, then after about 6 months, I began craving sweets like crazy and then once I hit the year mark, it was worse. I don't think I gained more than maybe 5 pounds on it though. I will say that I have heard withdrawals from Paxil are as bad as Effexor's, so you might want to rethink it. I've been almost a week without it and its been the hardest week of my life.

I also got constipated on Effexor, but I seriously doubt its due to dehydration because I drank about 40 oz. of water every day and still had issues. In fact, that's all I drink, other than tea. I even tried taking fiber supplements and they barely helped. It's also used to treat IBS/IBD, so that is probably why it does that. I've heard good things about Cymbalta, but again, I have heard withdrawal symptoms can occur. IMHO, I think all anti-depressants cause cravings and weigh gain. I was on Zoloft, Lexapro, and Effexor and had a problem with cravings on all of them. And my sex drive was in the toilet. I guess because these all work differently for everybody you just have to keep trying them until you find one that works for you. Good luck! Sorry if it seemed like I babbled a lot. lol

#7 In_Remission_DragonMeds

In_Remission_DragonMeds
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:55 PM

Anyway, I was wondering-for people who have tried all three: Cymbalta, Effexor, & Pristiq-did Pristiq cause less food cravings than Cymbalta or Effexor?

Was on Effexor, eventually massive 400mg (?) doses. Gained 50 pounds over the course of several months. Weird experience as I'd never been over 145 pounds and was up over 185 and it was *all* in my gut. I also had the brain-zaps if I skipped doses, delayed or impossible orgasm, wicked constipation (which I've come to believe contributed to weight gain). I stayed on it for so long, because it was the first med that calmed my mind calm down to the point where I could make decisions, but then after a few years the Effexor eventually it just stopped working ... and I was fat.

Did Stattera for a brief period, but wasn't too happy with it other than it seemed to nearly eliminate the Effexor brain-zap withdrawal symptoms.

Tried Ritalin and that family. Finally found Dexadrine to be the least annoying of the bunch.

Did Cymbalta. It worked of a few years. Far fewer side effects than Effexor, but it too eventually crapped out ... all at once and HARD. No weight gain or specific food cravings.

Started Pristiq. It took *forever* to work, probably close to two months, but I stuck with it and bumped briefly from 50mg to 100mg and then back down again when the sexual side effects (again delayed or non-existent orgasms) kicked in. Now on 50mg in combination with dexadrine as a paradoxical-mind-calmer for me and I'm very happy. Very few side effects, although if I'm anticipating I might get lucky I tend to avoid taking the meds after noon that day. I get the brain-zaps if I skip for more than two days, which can be really, really annoying, but they recede fairly quickly for me if I take a dose. REALLY annoying if I am away from my pill bottle though!

I started January 2009 and have put on less than 10 pounds compared to the 50 pounds I put on with Effexor.

BIG CAVEAT ... Pristiq and Effexor both led to binge drinking. If I drink, I have to stop at one or two ... or twelve. No in between. Often one drink would lead to 12 in short order.

Cravings. I don't remember craving anything in particular, but I'd put the difference in weight gain under the "Food & Cravings" label, so I thought I'd put in my two cents.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$43. Or search the Amazon for your retail Nirvana.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions