Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting mugs
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection mugs
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar mugs
I <3 Wellbutrin mug
I <3 Wellbutrin mugs

I'm Tired On Wellbutrin (and Lexapro) - Any Help Is Greatly Appreciated!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_L8888

In_Remission_L8888
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:17 PM

I'm currently on 20 mg of Lexpro and just started Wellbutrin XL 150 mg, well the generic from Teva (which I hear is not too great) yesterday. My problem is that I am exhausted. I mean, just drained and tired. I thought the Wellbutrin was supposed to combat this, but it seems to have just made me actually more tired. Has anyone else had this problem?

Edited by L8888, 11 February 2009 - 12:19 PM.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons
Batshit Crazy buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Batshit Crazy buttons
Medicated For Your Protection buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Medicated For Your Protection buttons
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons

#2 VAL

VAL

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,105 posts
  • Diagnoses:BPII
  • Current Meds:See Signature

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:32 PM

I've never had the problem with wellbutrin but I have had the experience of taking a drug that ultimately proved activating for me and yet finding it sedating in the beginning. This was especially true of the abilify which is very activating but I initially took it at night until I couldn't sleep and then took in the morning....sedation was gone.

Current Meds: Lamictal 325mg, Wellbutrin XL 450mg, Neurontin 900mg, Klonopin 1.5mg, Saphris 10mg, Trazodone up to 200mg, Prozosin 2mg, Zyprexa 5mg PRN and Inderal 20mg PRN
Past Meds: Siniquan, Elavil, Imipramine, Zoloft, Seroquel, Abilify, Nardil, Emsam, Rozerem and Ambien
Current Non-psych: Soma 350mg PRN, Norco 10mg/325 PRN, Percocet 10mg/325 PRN, Advair, Nasonex, Ventolin PRN, Allegra, Avalide, Dexilant, Levothroxine, Pravachol

#3 In_Remission_L8888

In_Remission_L8888
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:51 PM

I've never had the problem with wellbutrin but I have had the experience of taking a drug that ultimately proved activating for me and yet finding it sedating in the beginning. This was especially true of the abilify which is very activating but I initially took it at night until I couldn't sleep and then took in the morning....sedation was gone.

That would be great. I was getting worried b/c everyone was saying how stimulating Wellbutrin is for them, but I have been ridicuously tired since I took my first dose yesterday morning. Thanks for responding!

#4 bunnyrabbit

bunnyrabbit

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Diagnoses: Schizoaffective d/o, bipolar type
  • Current Meds:See signature

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:25 AM

I've also never had the problem with Wellbutrin. Two possibilities. One is the fatigue/depression is getting worse independent of the Wellbutrin. Or 150mg is not enough and perhaps 300mg would be woth trying. 300mg is more of the average dose. If that doesn't work out, then there are other medications to consider.
Current Meds: Lithium Carbonate 900mg, Geodon 85-90mg, Artane 2.75mg, Klonopin 1-1.125mg, Adderral 20mg, Provigil 100mg, Prolixin .33mg.
Dosages are the daily total. Most meds are taken in smaller doses throughout the day.

Past meds: I've tried almost everything except MAOI's, half of the TCA's, Clozaril, Remeron and Serazone.

#5 Anna

Anna

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, most recent episode Mixed
  • Current Meds:Seroquel, Risperdal, Depakote, Provigil, Neurontin.

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:19 AM

I've also never had the problem with Wellbutrin. Two possibilities. One is the fatigue/depression is getting worse independent of the Wellbutrin. Or 150mg is not enough and perhaps 300mg would be woth trying. 300mg is more of the average dose. If that doesn't work out, then there are other medications to consider.

Wellbutrin can actually cause fatigue rather than activation initially, although it's rarer.

Give it some time and see where you end up before making a decision.

Anna
Anna

Diagnosed Bipolar Type I, most recently Mixed.

Current Meds: Seroquel, Risperdal, Neurontin, Provigil.

#6 blessedbee

blessedbee

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Diagnoses:treatment resistant MDD/BP?
  • Current Meds:lamictal 150mg, wellbutrin 400mg, ritalin 10mg, xanax .5mg, viibrid 10mg

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:50 AM

I was really tired my first 2 weeks or so on Wellbutrin at 300mg a day, I second the comment to give it some time.

#7 In_Remission_L8888

In_Remission_L8888
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:23 AM

Thanks everyone for getting back to me so quickly.

So, last night, I could not fall asleep for the life of me. I wasn't hyper or anything, but my mind was going nuts with extreme anxiety. I only take 150 in the morning at 8:00 am, and it only made me alert/anxious at close to 11:00 pm. I didn't take my meds this morning, as I'm going to try to take them at night, before I go to bed since it makes me tired within an hour of taking it and hyper about 12-14 hours later.

#8 netsavy006

netsavy006

Would-be Neurologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Diagnoses:Asperger's + Bipolar 1: Mixed Episode
  • Current Meds:See Signature

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:48 PM

I know someone inpatient who told me the same thing happened to him on Wellbutrin XL and said he had to take the medication at nighttime right before bed because it made him to tired after he took it. I don't know if it affected him during the day but for the nighttime after taking it you could see that it was tiring him down...
- Andy -
Dx: Asperger's + Bipolar 1: Mixed Episode
Rx: Topamax 200mg + Valium 15mg + Zyprexa Zydis 5mg + Artane 6mg + Lunesta 3mg

#9 In_Remission_L8888

In_Remission_L8888
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:23 PM

I know someone inpatient who told me the same thing happened to him on Wellbutrin XL and said he had to take the medication at nighttime right before bed because it made him to tired after he took it. I don't know if it affected him during the day but for the nighttime after taking it you could see that it was tiring him down...

It always feels better to know I'm not the only one. Thank you! Tonight will be my first night trying out the Wellbutrin before I go to bed. I"ll post with the results tomorrow in case anyone else out there might be having the same experience. Again, thanks so much to everyone that got back to me. I sincerely appreciate everyone for taking the time. I just hope I can return the favor some time. Finding this board was a lifesaver!

#10 creepy

creepy

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD
  • Current Meds:200mg sertraline 300mg lamotrigine

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:35 AM

300mg is where most people get results. Dont be afraid to experiment with your doc between the XL, IR and SR versions to find what dosing and release rate works best. I find the XL version in the morning works best. I cant imagine taking this at night. It takes a lot of focusing on clearing my head before I can sleep on this stuff. I just keep remembering things I need to do, etc.
Zombiez ate my brain
and spat it back out, blecch...

#11 In_Remission_L8888

In_Remission_L8888
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:42 AM

300mg is where most people get results. Dont be afraid to experiment with your doc between the XL, IR and SR versions to find what dosing and release rate works best. I find the XL version in the morning works best. I cant imagine taking this at night. It takes a lot of focusing on clearing my head before I can sleep on this stuff. I just keep remembering things I need to do, etc.

I've had trouble sleeping b/c I can't "shut my mind off" ever since I was a teen. I took Wellbutrin for the first time last night right as I was about to go to sleep and it worked pretty well. Well, it worked better than taking it in the morning. Do you take something to help you sleep, or shut your mind down at bedtime? Remeron did NOTHING for me. I have trazodone too, but that doesn't work either. Both just make me spaced out the next day.

#12 creepy

creepy

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:34 PM

I've had trouble sleeping b/c I can't "shut my mind off" ever since I was a teen. I took Wellbutrin for the first time last night right as I was about to go to sleep and it worked pretty well. Well, it worked better than taking it in the morning. Do you take something to help you sleep, or shut your mind down at bedtime? Remeron did NOTHING for me. I have trazodone too, but that doesn't work either. Both just make me spaced out the next day.

For the last year or so my mind has been very busy with 'junk thoughts'. When its calm I start getting sleepy (???). Its irritating but when I suggest lamictal my doc gives me the lecture about titration. Aside from that and my sleep need threshold dropping to 6 hours I havent had any other hypomanic warning signs. I dont present as hypomanic so I dont think he wants to bother.
No Im scared to take anything for sleep. I used to take benadryl but it combined with some issues I had and turned me into a mean SOB.
What I do is either concentrate on nothing, or try to settle into that state just before sleep where you hear unintelligible voices like you were in a restaurant with a lot of people talking. Random thoughts like images of things that you dont 'latch onto' work too. The more random the better. The most important thing is not to react to any thoughts that pass. Eventually youre out like a light. Deep breathing to relax the body helps when youre really wound up.

Also heres an odd thing.. for me I get nothing except mild physical anxiety symptoms until I take some zantac along with it. Then Im a little more speedy / shaky but the depression is gone and I can function. If I dont take zantac for a few days I start to fall back into irritability and depression. also these proton pump inhibitors like prilosec seem to make the depression worse.
wish I knew what the hell was going on.
Zombiez ate my brain

#13 In_Remission_L8888

In_Remission_L8888
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:43 PM

For the last year or so my mind has been very busy with 'junk thoughts'. When its calm I start getting sleepy (???). Its irritating but when I suggest lamictal my doc gives me the lecture about titration. Aside from that and my sleep need threshold dropping to 6 hours I havent had any other hypomanic warning signs. I dont present as hypomanic so I dont think he wants to bother.
No Im scared to take anything for sleep. I used to take benadryl but it combined with some issues I had and turned me into a mean SOB.
What I do is either concentrate on nothing, or try to settle into that state just before sleep where you hear unintelligible voices like you were in a restaurant with a lot of people talking. Random thoughts like images of things that you dont 'latch onto' work too. The more random the better. The most important thing is not to react to any thoughts that pass. Eventually youre out like a light. Deep breathing to relax the body helps when youre really wound up.

Also heres an odd thing.. for me I get nothing except mild physical anxiety symptoms until I take some zantac along with it. Then Im a little more speedy / shaky but the depression is gone and I can function. If I dont take zantac for a few days I start to fall back into irritability and depression. also these proton pump inhibitors like prilosec seem to make the depression worse.
wish I knew what the hell was going on.

Ah, yes, Benadryl. I take that every night, but it has totally quit working. I found that dramamine used to help, but not any more. No otc meds like Tylenol or Advil work either for me. I tend to start counting back from 100, but I do this a few times before I can get sleep, and this is at 3:00 am. My anxiety has been getting so much worse by the day. It's back to where it is physically make me sick and I have that intense, contricting feeling in my chest. I hate thinking that I need to be back on a benzo again, b/c they are so addiciting, but at this point, I think I'm running out of options. I used to drink tons of Pepto when my anxiety was this bad before. I'm assuming that's probably like you with the Zantac? What is lamictal?

#14 In_Remission_L8888

In_Remission_L8888
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:08 AM

So, my doc prescribed me Dalmane. Well, it did not make me tired, but it made it possible for me to shut my mind down and go to sleep. The problem is that i'm a walking zombie the entire next day. I even took it at 8:00 pm to try and combat this, but I'm a zombie again this morning. I have a call in to the doc, but I'm afraid I'm calling there too much. I should be calling/visiting until I get the correct meds, right? I mean, I should definitely be letting her know these side effects I'm having, right? I find myself apologizing to the staff for calling. (I currently call once or twice a week - in the past 2 month I've been on 7 different meds).

#15 blessedbee

blessedbee

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Current Meds:lamictal 150mg, wellbutrin 400mg, ritalin 10mg, xanax .5mg, viibrid 10mg

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:30 PM

If I take my second dose of wellbutrin sr 150 mg too late in the day, it definitely keeps me up at night. My doc gave me restoril, I take 7.5 mg and if I really can't sleep, I double it. I have found it's better than others I've tried - trazadone and ambien, even klonopin, it makes me sleep well and I don't wake up dopey at all. I just wake up feeling well rested, which is quite a great feeling. I don't take it often though, maybe once a week, so I don't have much of a tolerance to it. It's also expensive, only comes in generic in the 15 mg dose capsules I believe, so I pay for it, but it's worth it.

#16 In_Remission_L8888

In_Remission_L8888
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:43 AM

Well, my doc prescribed Prosom (estalozam). It doesn't make me tired in the least, but it calms down my body so I can relax enough to go to sleep. Yay!!!!!!!!! I don't feel like a space cadet either. As for the Wellbutrin, I'm on 150 mg XL. I took it in the morning and it made me so tired, except at night, in which it made me fidgety. I took it at night, and went to sleep (w/ the help of sleep meds, of course). I took it in the afternoon; made no difference. Then, I tried upping the dose to 300, which I've read and read is the "theraputic" dose (I had been on the 150 for a week). Maybe it was just my mind playing tricks on me, or the placebo effect, but I noticed a different immediately yesterday. I felt so much better, and I was able to sleep w/ very little of the ProSom. I think I've found my cocktail. I feel so much better today than I have in a long, long time. Thanks, everyone, for all your hlep!

#17 creepy

creepy

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:34 PM

wellbutrin is notorious for working well after titrating up and then pooping out a couple weeks later. Most people can go up to 450mg safely.
wellbutrin is part of why my heartburn is so bad.
Zombiez ate my brain

#18 mickmax

mickmax

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 177 posts
  • Diagnoses:clinical depression, GAD

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:15 PM

Ugh, i've been titrated up to 300mg welbutrin and my heartburn is JUST NOW starting to go away.
Deby

current meds: Trileptal 300mg, Topomax 300mg, amilitryptiline 10mg, welbutrin 300mg, klonopin .5 prn

#19 creepy

creepy

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:12 AM

Try zantac? Apparently from what im reading, its used to treat allergic reactions as well. But there is not a concensus on whether covering H1 and H2 is any better than H1 alone.
Might explain why my allergy symptoms improve on it
Zombiez ate my brain

#20 In_Remission_Jacesbaby

In_Remission_Jacesbaby
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2010 - 02:33 PM

I'm currently on 20 mg of Lexpro and just started Wellbutrin XL 150 mg, well the generic from Teva (which I hear is not too great) yesterday. My problem is that I am exhausted. I mean, just drained and tired. I thought the Wellbutrin was supposed to combat this, but it seems to have just made me actually more tired. Has anyone else had this problem?

I take 150 mg of Wellbutrin twice a day and have just started 10 mg of Adderall to combat the sleepiness.
The Wellbutrin works great for me...til about 4:30 in the afternoon, and I'm ready to be in bed for the night. The Adderall, (for me in a very small dose) helps this feeling. So far, it seems to be doing the trick for me.

#21 blessedbee

blessedbee

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:06 PM

increasing hte Wellbutrin made a huge difference for me. I was on 20mg of Lexapro and super tired and lethargic, so i upped my wellbutrin to 400mg a day split in two, and my energy is much better.

#22 In_Remission_jadeway

In_Remission_jadeway
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2010 - 03:48 PM

I'm also having issues with fatigue...I've only been on it for one week though. About an hour after taking it all I really want to do is lye down. I cant be tired with my job so I'm on the fence of continuing.
Does that pass at some point or is it just the way it is for some people?

#23 jroberts745

jroberts745

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression, Anxiety, Panic Attacks
  • Current Meds:Wellbutrin (300mg 1x/day), Pristiq (100mg 1x/day), Clonazepam (1mg 3x/day), Xanax (0.5mg PRN)

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:19 AM

I've faced similar fatigue/insomnia issues since my wellbutrin dosages were increaed from 150mg to 300mg to 450mg. I thought 300mg would be a good fit; and I don't like being as high as 450mg with already high blood pressure. Plus it seems to have only made the fatigue issue worse.

But I think there may be a snag in the plan:

I know that generics only have to be ~80% as effective as the brand version (FDA guidelines). Which makes no sense - manufacturers are basically incented to stretch four pills into five to amp their sales volumes and profits.

I've realized that I've been given two different manufacturers' versions of Wellbutrin - one for the 150mg and another for the 300mg; a total 450mg. Do the math and that equates to a min 64%+ effectiveness. Not great numbers. Especially since they can differ in their inert chemicals as well - who knows how that's impacting things.

The 300mg manufacturer is TEVA. I've read a lot (maybe 15+) of negative user experiences re: TEVA's version of Wellbutrin. Has anyone else had trouble with the TEVA version before?

I've asked my pharmacist to contact my PDoc and ask for brand name only. I'm thinking about trying brand for a month or two to see if there is a discernable difference, even though it'll suck to get hit by the higher co-pays.

If it does work well, I'm thinking I may be able to dial back to just brand 300mg. Ideally, less is more.

Any thoughts or feedback on brand vs. generic Wellbutrin? Or any advice how I can get this written on one script so I don't have to suck up two brand co-pays every month? Anything would be much appreciated... Thanks.

#24 jroberts745

jroberts745

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression, Anxiety, Panic Attacks
  • Current Meds:Wellbutrin (300mg 1x/day), Pristiq (100mg 1x/day), Clonazepam (1mg 3x/day), Xanax (0.5mg PRN)

Posted 08 October 2011 - 11:50 PM

Just to follow-up: I did switch back to brand and it has been much more effective. I'm still at the higher 450mg dosage but at least there's consistency between the 150mg and 300mg tablets. I'm going to try this higher dose on brand for a month or two and then drop down to 300mg. Perhaps it is a brand/generic thing. But so far, so good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog

Just a few designs from our Crazymeds' Clothes Line. See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$43. Or search the Amazon for your retail Nirvana.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy shirts
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting shirts
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Medicated For Your Protection shirts
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirts