Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Batshit Crazy mug
Batshit Crazy

Celexa Sedation

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_ladymiss

In_Remission_ladymiss
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:19 AM

Since starting Celexa I have been massively sedated, sleeping about 12 hours a night plus a 2-4 hour nap in the day. And I'm exhausted all the time when awake.

My doctor and I have been trying to figure out whether the sedation is from the Celexa alone, or from Celexa in combination with the other drugs in my cocktail.

I'd throw the stuff in the East River, but it's done wonders for my obsessive thoughts.

Anyone else experience major sedation with Celexa?

Thanks.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Batshit Crazy buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Batshit Crazy
Medicated For Your Protection buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 alicia

alicia

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Diagnoses:Schizoaffective Disorder bipolar type
  • Current Meds:Geodon, Xanax, Lamictal, Lithium, Viibryd, Trazodone

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:51 AM

I had major sedation on celexa. I slept forever and could barely stay awake during the day. I had to switch it out for another med. You might try lexapro, the two drugs are related, but it might not be as sedating for you. I find it less sedating and it also addresses my ocd.
dx: schizoaffective bipolar type
rx: Lamictal 200mg, Lithium 450mg, Geodon 180mg, Viibryd 40mg, Xanax 1mg,

#3 creepy

creepy

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD
  • Current Meds:200mg sertraline 300mg lamotrigine

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:44 PM

Ive been on celexa for a couple years and it does seem to make me a little more tired.. but I find that when my depression is not being treated properly I get that leaden fatigue.
You can ask your pdoc to augment this with wellbutrin or something. Maybe provigil if youre feeling spendy.
You might see if moving to the slightly more selective lexapro helps.
Recently I moved down to 20mg on celexa to see if its what makes me tired and honestly the only thing I notice is Im more irritable and sleep even more. I may just go back to 40mg.
Zombiez ate my brain
and spat it back out, blecch...

#4 In_Remission_ladymiss

In_Remission_ladymiss
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:54 PM

Alas, Lexapro landed me in the ER with visual hallucinations and a blown out left pupil, Wellbutrin made me unbearably trembly and anxious unable to eat or sleep and then manic, and Provigil made me manic once it hit a steady state at 100mg/day.

I just started a trial of 2.5mg/day Dexedrine two days ago to try and take the edge off the sedation. It's a little bit like playing with fire, but I hope we can titrate the dose carefully enough that it doesn't induce mania.

Otherwise it's back to the drawing board. Which sucks.

#5 Artemisia

Artemisia

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression
  • Current Meds:sertraline, cetirizine, zolpidem

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:58 PM

How long have you been on Celexa in comparison to how long you've been on the other meds?

Celexa didn't do anything to me. Its baby brother, Lexapro, certainly "cured" my depression (well, caused remission), but it makes me sleepy as hell. I had Wellbutrin added to it, and it worked like a charm at first but then stopped.

Anyway, if you've been on a stable dose of the other meds for at least several months, and Celexa is new, then it's probably the Celexa. If you've been taking Celexa for less that 6-8 weeks, then the sleepiness may still go away. If you've been on Celexa for longer than 2 months, though, then the sleepiness is probably here to stay.
Current meds: sertraline 100mg, cetirizine 5mg, zolpidem 2.5 mg

#6 KarenRB53

KarenRB53

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, GAD,
  • Current Meds:Celexa, Ativan,

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:02 PM

How long have you been on Celexa in comparison to how long you've been on the other meds?

Celexa didn't do anything to me. Its baby brother, Lexapro, certainly "cured" my depression (well, caused remission), but it makes me sleepy as hell. I had Wellbutrin added to it, and it worked like a charm at first but then stopped.

Anyway, if you've been on a stable dose of the other meds for at least several months, and Celexa is new, then it's probably the Celexa. If you've been taking Celexa for less that 6-8 weeks, then the sleepiness may still go away. If you've been on Celexa for longer than 2 months, though, then the sleepiness is probably here to stay.

My pdoc wants me to start Lexapro. What time of day do you take it, a.m. or p.m? Also you said Wellbutrin helped with sleepiness at first but then stopped. Are you still taking the Wellbutrin w/Lexapro or are you trying something else?

Thanks, Karen

#7 In_Remission_NeurallyBugged

In_Remission_NeurallyBugged
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:41 PM

ladymiss,

I doubt if my experience with both Celexa and Lexapro will help because of so many other variables being different.

Here goes anyway.

Both meds on startup sedated me nearly unconscious for about a week. Then both flipped to neutral. When we went to 20mg on the Lex, my anxiety, depression and OCD "traits" (to quote shrink) were nicely controlled but I developed a wicked case of RLS, that kept me awake most of the night so we gave Celexa a try after a few months off because I was "cured." After the mandatory week of semi-consciousness and week or two of neutral, I found Celexa to be mildly stimulating even when I don't take my 40mg Adderall. In the evening it keeps me from blowing out of my skin and does help me sleep - a lot. Right time. Right place.

I don't have BP. Officially I have ADHD, depression, anxiety and off the record OCD. Crazy is crazy in my book. But crazy reason makes all the difference in the world on how we respond to medication.

NeurallyBugged

#8 Allie

Allie

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Diagnoses:Major depression, dysthymic disorder (?)
  • Current Meds:Celexa 80mg/day, sleep meds

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:30 AM

Lexapro turns me into the shambling undead for about two weeks every time we up the dose (well, except that time I got manic) or I restart it after time off. I take it at night, but it actually don't make much of a difference. Since 16 hours of sleep a day is par for the course when I'm depressed, I tend to find the Lex fatigue almost ironically appropriate. It does go away for me, pretty reliably after two weeks.
Current meds and supplements: Celexa 80 mg/day.

Effexor made me twitch, Abilify gave me wicked EPS, Wellbutrin made my $%&^ hair fall out, and Trileptal numbed out my emotions -- Lexapro is the clear winner (but Celexa's cheaper). We think I have MDD and dysthymia, but I'm not taking my family history of bipolar 2 lightly.

#9 creepy

creepy

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:05 PM

Lexapro turns me into the shambling undead for about two weeks every time we up the dose (well, except that time I got manic) or I restart it after time off. I take it at night, but it actually don't make much of a difference. Since 16 hours of sleep a day is par for the course when I'm depressed, I tend to find the Lex fatigue almost ironically appropriate. It does go away for me, pretty reliably after two weeks.

Braaaaains...
Sorry, I just had to =)
The real shambling undead are those poor homeless guys you see in the psych ward that are dosed up to the gills with antipsychotics. Theres a lot of untreated mentally ill out there =(

celexa makes me really tired all the time but when the wellbutrin is working its good. The celexa takes the edge off the agitation from the wellbutrin so it balances out well.
I am still considering moving to lamictal instead of celexa since the celexa causes me to have so much 'static' thoughts that I have no quiet at all. I think its the source of most of my ADD

Edited by creepy, 22 January 2009 - 02:08 PM.

Zombiez ate my brain

#10 KarenRB53

KarenRB53

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, GAD,
  • Current Meds:Celexa, Ativan,

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:10 PM

You say in your signature that Lexapro is the clear winner but Celexa is cheaper...so true..my insurance will cover Celexa but not Lexapro. My question is..how did Lexapro affect you differently than Celexa? I'm currently taking Lexapro for 2 months (10mg) and it is doing nothing for my anxiety (actually I think its worse than before I started Lexapro) and motivation is not so great. Kind of feel that Lexapro is too strong for me even at 10mg. Just don't feel clear headed, can't focus, can't remember things and get frazzled so easy. I get startled and kind of "befuddled", can't think of another word to describe it. Anyway, thinking of changing to Celexa and wondered what differences you noticed. If they cost the same price would you prefer Lexapro?

Karen

#11 creepy

creepy

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:30 AM

I felt 'weirder' on celexa. Hard to explain.
Im having such a difficult time with the sedation I may try going back to prozac and risk becoming a mean SOB again.
Zombiez ate my brain

#12 In_Remission_MikeR

In_Remission_MikeR
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:41 AM

I'm on Cipralex/Lexapro, currently 20 mg. Was 10 mg, but after I went on work disability for depression I got my GP to up it to 15 and then 20.

I've previously gone off of Cipralex 2 times because of the "Don't give a damn attitude" it gave me (although it helped to keep my stress down).

But now that I'm at 20 mg I feel extreme fatigue like I've never felt before. I'm in bed, or at least reclined for most of the day, and physical activity quickly wears me out.

Currently, I feel the fatigue is the only thing keeping me from returning to work.

I'm hoping to find another med, or at least reduce my dosage again, since I can't say I'm feeling too depressed anymore.

#13 creepy

creepy

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:55 AM

Wellbutrin works well to augment lexapro. The anxiety and apathy often cancel each other out a bit.
Zombiez ate my brain

#14 In_Remission_Lemonessa

In_Remission_Lemonessa
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:53 AM

lex can cause blown out pupil? waah that scares me.

celexa sedated me wonderfully but after it stopped making me happy i think it got to the point i couldn't even stay fully awake when i was awake, i was a complete tard. and groggy. it was uncomfy. when i think about the time i was taking celexa i just remember a fog, first a happy one and then a tired one.

i hear adderall is better balanced than dexedrine but have never tried adderall and i dunno what exactly balanced means. dexedrine did make me manic and delusional, but also helped in lots of ways. but i didn't take it with other meds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$43. Or search the Amazon for your retail Nirvana.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions