Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Batshit Crazy mug
Batshit Crazy
Photo

Neurontin Causing Reflux

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 martasi2

martasi2

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:59 PM

The Neurontin is causing me severe reflux, and it's worsened as I go higher in dosage. The food and stomach acids back up into my throat even hours after I've eaten the smallest amount of food. It's hard to sleep sitting up, and I'm in constant discomfort. I take Rolaids, but my whole GI tract is affected.

The biggest problem is that the reflux is exacerbating my asthma. It's caused me a lot more wheezing and breathing problems, especially in the middle of the night. It's almost like bronchitis it's so bad. I've titrated down but now even taking a 100 mg. capsule starts the reflux again.

I can't find anything online about Neurontin-induced reflux, since Neurontin's supposed to cure reflux and just about everything else. I also can't find any antidote for the Neurontin -- like another med w/opposing action other than antacids, and antacids aren't supposed to be taken w/in 2 hours of Neurontin dosing, so it's a problem.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Batshit Crazy buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Batshit Crazy
Medicated For Your Protection buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 bunnyrabbit

bunnyrabbit

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Diagnoses: Schizoaffective d/o, bipolar type
  • Current Meds:See signature

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:09 PM

I got stomach pain from Neurotin. I also found nothing about it or that helped it. It gave me the sensation of gastritis/constant, unremitting 24/7 hunger! It was tummy hell, in my opinion. I could find nothing to help (I have a wide range of tummy medications).
Current Meds: Lithium Carbonate 900mg, Geodon 85-90mg, Artane 2.75mg, Klonopin 1-1.125mg, Adderral 20mg, Provigil 100mg, Prolixin .33mg.
Dosages are the daily total. Most meds are taken in smaller doses throughout the day.

Past meds: I've tried almost everything except MAOI's, half of the TCA's, Clozaril, Remeron and Serazone.

#3 notfred

notfred

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,865 posts
  • Diagnoses:check out signature
  • Current Meds:check out signature

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:22 PM

I can't find anything online about Neurontin-induced reflux, since Neurontin's supposed to cure reflux and just about everything else. I also can't find any antidote for the Neurontin -- like another med w/opposing action other than antacids, and antacids aren't supposed to be taken w/in 2 hours of Neurontin dosing, so it's a problem.

OTC refulx meds should do the trick. I have reflux from ability and OTC Zantac works for it. Dosing is such that you will have time to take one med and then another with 2 hrs between.

nf

Edited by notfred, 10 January 2009 - 09:25 PM.

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. Insomnia, ADD, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

Psyc Meds: Forfivo XL 450 mg, Abilify 15 mg, Eszopiclone 6 mg, Vyvance 70 mg, Levetiracetam 2,000 mg, Propranolol ER 60 mg
PRN: Lorazepam 1-4 mg, Alprazolam 1-2 mg, Dextroamphetamine 10-40 mg, Propranolol 20-40 mg

Supps: Multi-vitamin/mineral, Vitamin D 2,000 IU, Fish oil 7.2 g

Dx: Depression, Insomnia, ADD, Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor

All doses are a daily total.

#4 ellorie

ellorie

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, PTSD
  • Current Meds:Lamictal, prazosin

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:42 PM

I see you've tried one OTC antacid - have you tried others? I use famotidine (pepcid) to help control my asthma. Have you considered diet change or coordinating your meals with your neurontin to reduce the effect of the reflux? Have you considered asking your gp for a stronger (prescription strength) antacid? I guess it really depends on how much you want to fight for this med. If you're really willing to fight for it, there are (or so I infer from your post) diet/behavior/med possibilities you haven't tried yet.
Meds I've taken (italics = current):

ADs: Remeron, Wellbutrin XL, Celexa, Zoloft
Benzos: Ativan, Klonopin
Mood Stabilizers: valproic acid, Lamictal
AAPs: Seroquel
Misc: Imovane
Alternative Stuff: Melatonin, Fish Oil, Light Box, N-acetyl cysteine

#5 sunny day

sunny day

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP1
  • Current Meds:Depakote, Viibryd, Deplin

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:41 PM

The biggest problem is that the reflux is exacerbating my asthma.

So far on me, no reflux from gabapentin for anxiety and pain. (It's a floor polish *and* a dessert topping.)

Stuff that destroys the esophogus should not be aspirated. That's bad. Reflux OTC yesterday. Talk to your pdoc. Take your symptoms seriously. Maybe get a Rx for a reflux med if you need. Don't dismiss discomfort. This stuff burns and scars and the damage is cumulative.

My dad (BP1) had reflux before they had a name for it, and the long-term scarring led to a series of painful, useless surgeries, a life of never lying down again, and a permanent liquid diet. IMO, "treat yourself" OTC marketing has made us blase about a medical problem that's serious.
Any day above ground is a good day.

Bench warmers: Abilify, Ambien, Cymbalta, diazepam, Effexor, Gabapentin, hydrocodone, Invega, Lexapro, lithium carbonate, Lunesta, Lyrica, Prozac, Saphris, Seroquel, temazepam, tizinedine, torodol, topomax, Trileptal, Wellbutrin, Zyprexa

#6 In_Remission_supertodd67

In_Remission_supertodd67
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:00 PM

I have just joined the forum so please excuse my late reply. I take neurontin 800 mg qid. I do have some bloating and some reflux at times from taking the neurontin. I would suggest a rx strength ppi like prevacid or aciphex. That does the trick for me. Good luck.

#7 In_Remission_dianainflorida

In_Remission_dianainflorida
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2009 - 11:39 AM

Thanks for the input. Will discuss w/my Pdoc at next week's appointment. In the meantime I've just read about fennel tea being useful for reflux and bloating and am going to try it tomorrow.

Will also discuss antacid and related meds w/Pdoc. There are quite a few on the market (and via prescription) and they have different mechanisms of action. Since I don't know what is causing the reflux/bloating problem, I'm not sure exactly what will fix it. If the Neurontin is reducing stomach acids and bile, then a med that reduces acid even more might not do it. It's a puzzlement.

I am so glad that I found this post. I have been on neurontin for over 2 months now and practically throw up almost every day. I get the worst acid reflux and stomach aches if I EAT AFTER taking the neurontin. I usually have to wait a good 2 hours after taking each dose and then I can eat.
Its the weirdest thing- my stomach just STOPS working and I cannot seem to digest my meals no matter what I take (Zantac, Pepto, tums, maalox). I wish I had a better remedy for this problem. The only thing that truly worked for me is to eat VERY BLAND AND LOW FAT/LOW CALORIE foods. The more "diet" and "less greasy" food never seems to give me the heartburn like NORMAL everyday food does.

#8 In_Remission_bunnylove

In_Remission_bunnylove
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:39 AM

Thanks for the input. Will discuss w/my Pdoc at next week's appointment. In the meantime I've just read about fennel tea being useful for reflux and bloating and am going to try it tomorrow.

Will also discuss antacid and related meds w/Pdoc. There are quite a few on the market (and via prescription) and they have different mechanisms of action. Since I don't know what is causing the reflux/bloating problem, I'm not sure exactly what will fix it. If the Neurontin is reducing stomach acids and bile, then a med that reduces acid even more might not do it. It's a puzzlement.

I am so glad that I found this post. I have been on neurontin for over 2 months now and practically throw up almost every day. I get the worst acid reflux and stomach aches if I EAT AFTER taking the neurontin. I usually have to wait a good 2 hours after taking each dose and then I can eat.
Its the weirdest thing- my stomach just STOPS working and I cannot seem to digest my meals no matter what I take (Zantac, Pepto, tums, maalox). I wish I had a better remedy for this problem. The only thing that truly worked for me is to eat VERY BLAND AND LOW FAT/LOW CALORIE foods. The more "diet" and "less greasy" food never seems to give me the heartburn like NORMAL everyday food does.

I have the same problem with my Salsalate (Naproxen Sodium) while reading my little cheat sheet on Vitamines and Minieral I ran across Magnesium and it says Quote: "Magnesium - What it can do for you: Magnesium is a mineral that has the ability to relax nerves and muscles. Known as the "anti-stress" mineral, it also plays a role in helping to calm nerves. Magnesium is important in converting blood sugar into energy. This vital mineral is also necessry so our bodies can utilize Vitamin C, calcium, phosphorus, sodium and potassium in a more effective manner. Magnesium helps to keep teeth healthy and is a helper in bringing temporary relief from indigestion."

I'm not sure what is in malox, pepsid, etc. but it think they have magnesium in them. When I take my Salsalate I have to have a meal on my stomach, or it feels like I turned "TAZ" loose in my stomach. I found the magnesium to be so wonderful about helping with my stomach issues. My phD has recommended I take Nurontin, but I see it would most likely compound my current stomach burdon. It doesn't sound like it's worth it. I trust my Codine and Soma. I consider them very safe compared to this stuff. I take it for pain. I endure all day at work, and then take it when I get home. 2-4 hours of safe pain management is starting to sound safer (still) than trying to manage it 24/7 with Nurontin. Headaches, GI problems, Stomach problems, memory problems, weight gain, just to name a few of those problems. That is so not a problem with codine and soma. And thanks to my Xanax I sleep like a baby for 4-6 hours.

Anyway enough of my rant. Check out Magnesium. At $4 (at Wal-Mart) for 250 pills (I take 3 each time I take my arthritis meds) it's alot cheaper than that other stuff.

I don't understand why it causes so much stomach problems if it is supposed to help calm and numb the nervous system. We all know it's all connected and when you have stomach issues you have nerve issues and vise versa. Hense why our stomach gets upset when we get emotionally upset.

Relaxes nerves and muscles
Anti-stress mineral
Calms nerves
Converts blood sugar to energy (Very important in stopping that weight gain process)
Helps us absorb VC, Calcium, Phosphorus, Sodium and Potassium more effectively
Temporary relief from indigestion

#9 creepy

creepy

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD
  • Current Meds:200mg sertraline 300mg lamotrigine

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:03 AM

Those PPIs like omeprazole made my depression come back worse. Very weird.
Zombiez ate my brain
and spat it back out, blecch...

#10 Bananas

Bananas

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Diagnoses:BPII
  • Current Meds:Lamictal 200mg, Zoloft 100mg, Lisinopril-HCTZ

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:30 AM

Jerod writes this in his Neurontin info section:

The only thing we have to be careful with is stuff like Maalox. As a lot of meds cause tummy troubles, a lot of us use OTC remedies like Maalox. Maalox interferes a bit with Neurontin (gabapentin). You just have to wait a couple hours after taking antacids to take Neurontin (gabapentin).

But people who take Neurontin (gabapentin) for pain, and that includes a lot of us crazies, as fibromyalgia is far too common in the bipolar community, Neurontin (gabapentin) has a weird drug-drug interaction with opiates. The opiates make Neurontin (gabapentin) work better, but the Neurontin (gabapentin) makes the opiates less efficient! It's weird, and since Neurontin (gabapentin) isn't really metabolized, who the hell knows what the deal is with that. This is spelled out in the PI sheet, but who reads those, right? When you take Neurontin (gabapentin) along with hydrocodone (a.k.a. Vicodin), it decreases the bioavailability of the hydrocodone by up to 22%! While the bioavailability of Neurontin (gabapentin) is increased by 14%. It's even odder when combined with morphine. As Mouse points out there's an element of timing involved, as the one article on the interaction has morphine administered two hours before the Neurontin (gabapentin). The morphine was unaffected, having pretty much been on its way towards peak plasma, but the Neurontin (gabapentin) bioavailability was increased by a whopping 44%! We have no idea if this effect carries over to the artificial opiods, like Demerol or buprenorphine.

Meanwhile taking naproxen (a.k.a. Aleve) increases Neurontin's bioavailability by 12-15%, while there is no apparent affect on naproxen's bioavailability.

For the record, I haven't had any stomach problems with Neurontin.

#11 therapeuticbrigg84

therapeuticbrigg84

Would-be Neurologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Diagnoses:generalized anxiety, social anxiety, fibro/insomnia (schizotypal catch all)
  • Current Meds:GBP 300mg, HCTZ 25mg, ARTANE 2-4mg PRN, TRAZ 50mg PRN, fish oil

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:55 PM

here we go:
see here:

it's another forum talk about GERD type symptoms, i've been on neurontin/lyrica for awhile and trust me it can hurt your stomach and also....make you retarded.

cheat sheets on vitamins and minerals? I never knew they actually had those!!!

well whatever, supposedly magnesium or specifically magnesium in it's citrate, chloride, and glycinate forms is best absorbed. and heck while you're at it, since neurontin can be a constipater, try milk of magnesia(magnesium hydroxide) def moves your bowels along during the night if you take a bit(2tbsp), and leaves you fresh and energized to start the next day(does not work if you take the 4 tbsp, maybe a little TOO much and you shit your pants/bed...whatever.

also changing your diet def has an effect, and brushing your teeth(neurontin makes me not wanna brush my teeth, therefore i concluded it's a piece of shit medicine) lyrica is a little bit better IMO.

Edited by therapeuticbrigg84, 28 May 2010 - 09:59 PM.

dx: schizotypal personality disorder, dystonic neck and back pain, GERD. a bit of TD, akathisia, dysmorphic thoughts, affect is questionable

seroquel and inderal 60mg made me fatigued/ depressed. may hafta try lopressor or bisoprolol

inderal interacts with ssris and anti-psychs.

success HCTZ not only lowers my blood pressure and pulse more effectively. but it also has helped with the headaches ive been having. i should see a doctor about this.

[color="#0000FF"]rx: klonopin .5-1 prn, omega 3 fish oil, vitamin D3 iu, albuterol sulfate inhaler, magnesium hydroxide(for the constipationg)

in flux: seroquel 50mg
up and coming: nuvigil

looking into injectables.

artane 2 mg PRN(rare), trazodone 50mg PRN, lyrica PRN?

#12 In_Remission_bunnylove

In_Remission_bunnylove
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2010 - 12:39 AM

here we go:
see here:

it's another forum talk about GERD type symptoms, i've been on neurontin/lyrica for awhile and trust me it can hurt your stomach and also....make you retarded.

cheat sheets on vitamins and minerals? I never knew they actually had those!!!

well whatever, supposedly magnesium or specifically magnesium in it's citrate, chloride, and glycinate forms is best absorbed. and heck while you're at it, since neurontin can be a constipater, try milk of magnesia(magnesium hydroxide) def moves your bowels along during the night if you take a bit(2tbsp), and leaves you fresh and energized to start the next day(does not work if you take the 4 tbsp, maybe a little TOO much and you shit your pants/bed...whatever.

also changing your diet def has an effect, and brushing your teeth(neurontin makes me not wanna brush my teeth, therefore i concluded it's a piece of shit medicine) lyrica is a little bit better IMO.

I like you, your funny, you call the shots as you see them, don't honey coat them, don't falisfy them, don't stretch them, good or bad, tell it like it is. Thank you for your honesty, and thanks for making me laugh

#13 Nurse Ratched

Nurse Ratched

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar, Migraines
  • Current Meds:See signature

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:49 PM

Getting the worst heartburn from Neurontin and can't find relief. I've tried Tums, Pepcid, Zantac, and Prilosec. It's so terrible. Anyone have any new insight on something that helps?

Current Meds: Topamax 200 mgs, Seroquel XR 300 mgs, Wellbutrin 300 mgs, Vistaril 50 mgs x4, Klonopin .5 mgs, Ambien CR 12.5 mgs

Former meds: Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Abilify, Lamictal, Geodon, Zyprexa, BuSpar, Xanax, Depakote, Trazodone, Ambien, Lithium, Risperdal, Doxepin,  Cogentin, Haldol, Saphris, Latuda, Neurontin, Lexapro.

#14 Original

Original

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression/Anxiety

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:53 PM

I've been getting horrible acid reflux but I can't tell if it's from the Neurontin 300 mg 3x a day or the Remeron. I know they both can mess with stomach acid. Maybe its the combo of the 2, who knows. I just started on Dexilant which is a newer PPI so hopefully it will help. 

#15 Dave350

Dave350

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:08 AM

Back to a more basic point, WTH is the Neurontin doing that is positive? I've talked literally thousands and very, very few take Neurontin and even less can recite positive effects in mental health. Severe side effects plus ineffeciveness equals stop.

I've taken it little or no effect. Bad side effects. So bye, bye.Neurontin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

#16 Original

Original

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression/Anxiety

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:21 PM

Dave, in some people medications like neurontin and lyrica can really help with anxiety. Some people even use them to get off of benzos. But for many people they have no effect at all for anxiety. They helped me but I also always felt emotional on them and I would get swelling in my face and hands as well as the acid reflux. In fact I could no longer waterski on neurontin because I couldn't hold onto the rope handle with my hands being all swollen and numb. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$43. Or search the Amazon for your retail Nirvana.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions