Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Photo

Switching From Prozac To Lexapro

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 KarenRB53

KarenRB53

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, GAD,
  • Current Meds:Celexa, Ativan,

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:05 AM

I did post under prozac w/lexapro but it should be switching from prozac to lexapro. Didn't know how to change title. My pdoc wants me to stay on 10mg Prozac for a bit and add 10mg Lexapro. Others have mentioned SS but I've read that its called cross tapering (correct me if I'm wrong) so wouldn't that be okay? Maybe I should start at 5mg Lexapro for a while. I've been hanging onto Prozac for so long and have to change. Prozac is just too stimulating. Even at 10mg I feel so agitated and anxiety is crazy, my mind is racing. I did read that at low doses of Prozac you're just getting the norephinephrine and dopamine and seratonin doesn't start until higher doses???? But if I go up to 20mg I just get more agitated. Would this mean that I need seratonin more than the norephinephire and dopamine??
I'm sorry if I'm driving anyone crazy going on for so long about the Prozac but I just didn't know what to do.

Thanks,
Karen

#2 blessedbee

blessedbee

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Diagnoses:treatment resistant MDD/BP?
  • Current Meds:lamictal 150mg, wellbutrin 400mg, ritalin 10mg, xanax .5mg, viibrid 10mg

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:25 PM

Hi Karen,

I replied to your other post as well. As far as I know, Prozac only deals with seratonin, although it is not quite as specific as lexapro. But I don't believe it's prescribed with a hope of affecting norepinephrine or dopamine. My doctor had me cross taper off the prozac and onto lexapro, I didn't have any problems with SS doing so. I would follow your Pdoc's recommendations regarding exact dosing and the timing of your dose changes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud