Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

How Long Should It Take For Xanax To Start Working?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 eternity

eternity

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I
  • Current Meds:See signature :)

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:18 PM

I was given Xanax 0.25 mg for "anxiety"/panic attacks (as yet undetermined to be accurate). The page on benzos says generally within 1/2 hour to kick in - but I'm going on 2+ hours with no effect and I want to crawl out of my skin. Opinions on whether it's safe to take a 2nd dose (or 1/2 dose?)

Dr. is unreachable.
Current meds:

Paxil CR 50mg
Lithium ER 900mg
Neurontin 800mg
Xanax .5mg PRN
Wellbutrin XL 300mg

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 notfred

notfred

Emergency Second Opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,252 posts
  • Diagnoses:see signature
  • Current Meds:see signature

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:46 PM

I was given Xanax 0.25 mg for "anxiety"/panic attacks (as yet undetermined to be accurate). The page on benzos says generally within 1/2 hour to kick in - but I'm going on 2+ hours with no effect and I want to crawl out of my skin. Opinions on whether it's safe to take a 2nd dose (or 1/2 dose?)

Dr. is unreachable.

By 2+ hrs Xanax would of worked if it was going to. Perhaps your dose is not right, check with your doc about that. If another dose is within what your doc said was OK, then why not ?

nf

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

Psyc Meds: Forfivo XL 450 mg (Wellbutrin XL), Abilify 15 mg, (Aripiprazole), Eszopiclone 6 mg (Lunesta), Vyvance 70 mg, (Dextroamphetamine) Levetiracetam 2,000 mg (Keppra), Propranolol ER 60 mg (Inderal)
PRN: Lorazepam 1-4 mg (Ativan), Alprazolam 1-2 mg (Xanax), Dextroamphetamine 10-40 mg (Dexedrine), Propranolol 20-40 mg (Inderal), Ondansetron 8 mg (Zofran)

Supps: Multi-vitamin/mineral, Vitamin D-3 2,000 IU, Omega-3-acid ethyl esters 4 g (Lovaza), Fish oil 1-4 g.

Dx: Depression, Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor

I also take allergy and diabetes + it's complications meds.

All doses are a daily total.

#3 eternity

eternity

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:08 PM

Dr. is an idiot. No directions regarding if it's ok to double dosage, and not returning calls. :mad: New dr. on Friday.

MIL just gave me .5 Klonopin - called pharm. for ok - off to curl up in a ball in bed before I literally pull my hair out.

Thankfully MIL is certifiably crazy and is a walking med. cabinet.
Current meds:

Paxil CR 50mg
Lithium ER 900mg
Neurontin 800mg
Xanax .5mg PRN
Wellbutrin XL 300mg

#4 eternity

eternity

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:57 AM

I don't think my mother in law will be sent off to jail over it. She called the pharmacist to make sure there was no potential interaction because the Xanax just flat-out doesn't work.

This was at 11 pm last night with no other option except ER because I was in full-on hysterical panic attack and trying to scratch my skin off.

All is better this a.m.. Calling the dr. office today for a change from the Xanax or an OK for higher dose.
Current meds:

Paxil CR 50mg
Lithium ER 900mg
Neurontin 800mg
Xanax .5mg PRN
Wellbutrin XL 300mg

#5 eternity

eternity

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:58 AM

And as a disclaimer, I don't advocate anyone taking someone else's meds.
Current meds:

Paxil CR 50mg
Lithium ER 900mg
Neurontin 800mg
Xanax .5mg PRN
Wellbutrin XL 300mg

#6 alicia

alicia

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Diagnoses:Schizoaffective Disorder bipolar type
  • Current Meds:Geodon, Xanax, Lamictal, Lithium, Viibryd, Trazodone

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:41 AM

I take xanax and usually feel the effects in 20 mins or so. .25mg of xanax is a small dose. Keep us updated on what your doctor says about it. Good luck at your appt. on Friday.
dx: schizoaffective bipolar type
rx: Lamictal 200mg, Lithium 450mg, Geodon 180mg, Viibryd 40mg, Xanax 1mg,

#7 anizel

anizel

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Diagnoses:Dysthymia, MDD, PTSD, GAD, possible ADHD
  • Current Meds:remeron, buspar

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:22 AM

I've been given prescrips for .25mg pills of xanax a few times in the past few months. My doc said I could take up to 4 in one dose, depending on the level of my anxiety. Even then, all I felt was a little sleepy (sleepier, really). It just doesn't work for me. Perhaps that's the case with you as well.

#8 wtf

wtf

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar lite
  • Current Meds:Pristiq, Lamictal, Strattera

Posted 18 December 2008 - 04:06 PM

I've been given prescrips for .25mg pills of xanax a few times in the past few months. My doc said I could take up to 4 in one dose, depending on the level of my anxiety. Even then, all I felt was a little sleepy (sleepier, really). It just doesn't work for me. Perhaps that's the case with you as well.

What isn't working for you with the Xanax?

One prior pdoc gave me .25 prn and was very liberal (it was an adjunct to other anxiety producing meds), as in, "you can take as many as 4 at a time,--even more-- but you might fall asleep."

It worked for me at the time (I never had to go above .75 mg).

Are you feeling sleepy but still anxious?

#9 eternity

eternity

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:17 PM

Me personally, I feel nothing from the Xanax. No relief of symptoms, no sleepiness, nothing - even after I took 2 this a.m. because I was flipping out at work and was in a situation where I had to calm down right now.

OTOH, the .5 of Klonopin gives me the anxiety relief within 1/2 hour max AND knocks me out cold.

Go figure.
Current meds:

Paxil CR 50mg
Lithium ER 900mg
Neurontin 800mg
Xanax .5mg PRN
Wellbutrin XL 300mg

#10 In_Remission_serena

In_Remission_serena
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:34 AM

Xanax... how I love thee! But it only works for me at .50mg or more. Up to 1mg. Takes the edge off and
allows me to think clearly when I get upset.

#11 eternity

eternity

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:22 PM

Agreed. The increase from my new pdoc of .5, with the ok to go as high as .75 or 1 (I have left over .25 still anyway) made a HUGE difference. Because it actually is working for me that way, usually at the .5 with no problem AND it's not making me sleepy.

Having a dr. that actually answers your questions and listens is always a positive as well.
Current meds:

Paxil CR 50mg
Lithium ER 900mg
Neurontin 800mg
Xanax .5mg PRN
Wellbutrin XL 300mg

#12 Erika78750

Erika78750

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar mixed, Anxiety NOS, Insomnia
  • Current Meds:Seroquel 100mg, Wellbutrin XL 150mg, Xanax 1mg

Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:17 PM

okay look here .25 is just too damn small to do anyone any good if you ask me, that's just my personal opinion and I always have to state that. Xanax should start to take effect in as little as 15 to 20 minutes depending on if you have taken it on an empty tummy or not. It works quicker when you haven't eaten.

My usual doseage is .5 mg but I've taken as much as 2 whole mg at once and I was fine. I was knocked the hell out but I was fine... at least I didn't have any more panic.

Next time, don't mix the medication and don't take anyone elses. Take your own and if it doesn't kick in then up your dose by a half every 15 - 20 minutes until you start to feel relief and then stop. Just don't over do it.
Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results - Albert Einstein

Meds - Wellbutrin XL 150mg, Seroquel 50mg, Topamax 100mg, Xanax 1mg

#13 mickmax

mickmax

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 177 posts
  • Diagnoses:clinical depression, GAD

Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:27 PM

What Erika said. At least don't ADMIT taking someone else's med. lmao.
Deby

current meds: Trileptal 300mg, Topomax 300mg, amilitryptiline 10mg, welbutrin 300mg, klonopin .5 prn

#14 eternity

eternity

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:34 PM

Sorry. Didn't know it was quite so taboo. Was just telling the facts in my response to the opposing med to see if anyone else had a better experience w/ one vs. the other.

I go back to the dr. in a week and a half, going to have another chat with him about the Xanax because my anxiety and panic attacks have been becoming more frequent and worse, and the .5 isn't doing anything. Nor is the .75. At .75, I just want to sleep.
Current meds:

Paxil CR 50mg
Lithium ER 900mg
Neurontin 800mg
Xanax .5mg PRN
Wellbutrin XL 300mg

#15 eternity

eternity

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:18 PM

It's ok. I already think everyone's out to get me anyway.

(Kidding, kidding..... or sarcasm..... whatever LOL)

You don't really think of it that way when it's your parent, know what I mean? If it was "I got it from a friend" then that would be another thing. But not really.

Six of one, half dozen of another.... better now 2 weeks later anyway and 0 trips to the ER so far.
Current meds:

Paxil CR 50mg
Lithium ER 900mg
Neurontin 800mg
Xanax .5mg PRN
Wellbutrin XL 300mg

#16 somombo

somombo

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, GAD, PD
  • Current Meds:Zoloft 100mg

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:06 AM

Give eternity a break, major panic attack with xanax not working....you'd do whatever you can to stop it, illegal or not. I think she (he?)'s got the message that it may not have been a good idea to admit to it!

#17 somombo

somombo

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, GAD, PD
  • Current Meds:Zoloft 100mg

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:35 AM

Fair enough

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog