Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Migraines And Botox

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 firedancer

firedancer

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar, SAD, GAD, Intractable Migraines
  • Current Meds:Seroquel, Lamictal

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:55 PM

anyone tried this? i have my first appt on tuesday morning.
Please be nice to me, I'm a blood donor (conquering my fear of needles one pint at a time).

Dx: Bipolar, Intractable Migraines, Social & General Anxiety, Idiopathic Seizures

Current Rx: Lamictal, Xanax, Seroquel XR, Nuvigil, Ambien

Past Rx: Prozac, Paxil/CR, Lexapro, Cymbalta, Ambien/CR, Wellbutrin XL, Effexor/XR, Depakote/ER, Keppra, Topamax, Neurontin, Zonegran, Trazadone, Klonopin, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Lyrica, Trileptal, Risperal, Ablify, Geodon, Lunesta, Skelaxin, Doxepin, Flexiril, Zanaflex, Verapamil, Lithium Carb, amitiptylin, triptans (can't take 'em), pain meds

be yourself because the people that mind don't matter and the people that matter don't mind - dr. seuss

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,485 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 500, CLZ 1.5-2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.25-.5

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:53 AM

No, but I sure as hell wanted to!

And it's really wild that you bring it up, because I was just sitting in a dentist's office reading (ahem) People magazine about all these "stars" who use it for cosmetic purposes, and I was thinking to myself "but what about the medical uses?"

I is dork.

d

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#3 Anna

Anna

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, most recent episode Mixed
  • Current Meds:Seroquel, Risperdal, Depakote, Provigil, Neurontin.

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:32 AM

I read this article (consumer, not research) by this doctor who was claiming that he could cure depression by using botox. He was citing some research about people who smile more having less depression, and saying that botox made it more likely that one would smile, not frown.

I really doubt that it's legitimate, but I thought it was really funny. And hey if it worked, maybe insurance would start paying for it...

Anna
Anna

Diagnosed Bipolar Type I, most recently Mixed.

Current Meds: Seroquel, Risperdal, Neurontin, Provigil.

#4 Stacia

Stacia

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, ADD
  • Current Meds:Lamictal, Latuda, Lithium, Klonopin, Adderall

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:59 AM

Dear Insurance Company,
I have been suffering from a depression as of late which is confirmed in my doctor's attached diagnosis. I feel the need to explain my circumstance so you will fully understand that this is a necessary procedure for my mental health. It's not that my smile lines have deepened or that I have starting wrinkles on my upper lip. Neither is it due to my growing crows feet or the deep line between my eyebrows. These are my life history. My sadness of late is due to my divorce of five years ago and current inability to attract men 20 years old and to be flirted with at the grocery store. There is more, but these are the most heart wrenching. With the recent combining of mental health and cosmetology, I'm sure you will give due credit to my plastic surgeon's diagnosis of unhappiness disorder as well as his recommended treatment for this condition - botox all over my face.

I look forward to your expedited approval.

#5 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,485 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 500, CLZ 1.5-2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.25-.5

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:41 PM

There is some interesting research about Botox, Firedancer. You may find that it has effects far beyond helping with your migraine.

Treatment of depression with botulinum toxin A: a case series

Botulinum toxin improves the quality of life and reduces the intensification of depressive symptoms in patients with blepharospasm

So... hmm. Were they less depressed because their looks improved, or did looks become irrelevant as mood improved? It would be interesting to read the full studies. I mean, damn! A shot that is good for up to 3 months for depression? Think of how many people that would help!

In the migraine department:

First results of clinical studies on botulinum toxin A in migraine and headache
This one is good news for you.

Humanistic, utilization, and cost outcomes associated with the use of botulinum toxin for treatment of refractory migraine headaches in a managed care organization
This is a long-ass abstract, but I think it gives what is probably a realistic assessment.

Dymphna

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#6 wtf

wtf

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar lite
  • Current Meds:Pristiq, Lamictal, Strattera

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:56 PM

I read this article (consumer, not research) by this doctor who was claiming that he could cure depression by using botox. He was citing some research about people who smile more having less depression, and saying that botox made it more likely that one would smile, not frown.

I really doubt that it's legitimate, but I thought it was really funny. And hey if it worked, maybe insurance would start paying for it...

Anna

I read that too. The "study" was so flawed. But I did fantasize about getting some injections with the hope that they might do something. Okay, I didn't only fantisize; I contacted some aestheticians about prices.

Then I realized that I don't really frown anyway and have no frown lines to speak of. I have horizontal lines across my forhead that I don't like, but they're expression lines from moving my eyebrows all over place -- just something I do when I'm feeling animated. But if insurance covered it, I'd get injections every four months.

#7 Nutter 6

Nutter 6

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Diagnoses:see sig
  • Current Meds:see sig

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:43 PM

I have a friend who gets them (the shots, not the migraines, unfortunately) every 3 months. She says that it hasn't resulted in the headaches going away altogether, but they are less likely to spread from the initial migrane symptoms (sensitivity to light, nausea, etc.) to the full headache that includes muscle spasms. Hope you get some relief.

Edited by Nutter 6, 08 December 2008 - 01:44 PM.

Dx: OCD, GAD, PD, ADHD, Pain due to jaw injury hyperirritable trigeminal, facial, and spinal accessory nerves following jaw injury (Two Three Four Five months now, and counting...)
Psycho Rx: Cymbalta, 90; Vyvanse, 30; Klonopin, PRN, up to 1.5 x 3;
everchanging Pain RX: Neurontin, 400; Acetaminophen 650 x 3 (sometimes with codeine); Voltaren, PRN; Physio, Upper and lower jaws splinted, Lots and lots of ice...some nutters wear tin foil hats; I like ice hats...

---
'But I don’t want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
'Oh, you can’t help that,' said the Cat. 'We’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad.'
'How do you know I’m mad?' said Alice.
'You must be,” said the Cat. 'or you wouldn’t have come here.'

#8 Maddy

Maddy

I <3 my meds!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Diagnoses:undifferentiated schizophrenia
  • Current Meds:Fanapt, Topamax, Ativan, Celexa

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:24 AM

I had a cow-orker back in my telecom tech. days that was getting botox treatments to help w/spasticity from MS. It helped him when a lot of other things had failed. So I could see botox being of use if administered correctly. Certainly relieving pain would brighten ones day I imagine.
Forget Youth. What This World Could Use Is a Fountain of Smart.

#9 mj1127

mj1127

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, ADHD, migraine
  • Current Meds:Lithium CR, Abilify, Latuda, Adderall, Wellbutrin

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:04 PM

anyone tried this? i have my first appt on tuesday morning.

So how was it? Please keep us posted as to how it works.

MJ

Bipolar NOS, ADHD, migraine

300mg Lithium CR, 7.5mg Abilify, 40mg Latuda, 20mg Adderall BID, 150mg Wellbutrin XL

#10 therapeuticbrigg84

therapeuticbrigg84

Would-be Neurologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Diagnoses:generalized anxiety, social anxiety, fibro/insomnia (schizotypal catch all)
  • Current Meds:GBP 300mg, HCTZ 25mg, ARTANE 2-4mg PRN, TRAZ 50mg PRN, fish oil

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:31 PM

yah oh yeah, try passing the botox for depression by a doctor, nevermind trying to get the botox for migraines(having equal unlikability towards actually getting the referral.)

dx: schizotypal personality disorder, dystonic neck and back pain, GERD. a bit of TD, akathisia, dysmorphic thoughts, affect is questionable

seroquel and inderal 60mg made me fatigued/ depressed. may hafta try lopressor or bisoprolol

inderal interacts with ssris and anti-psychs.

success HCTZ not only lowers my blood pressure and pulse more effectively. but it also has helped with the headaches ive been having. i should see a doctor about this.

[color="#0000FF"]rx: klonopin .5-1 prn, omega 3 fish oil, vitamin D3 iu, albuterol sulfate inhaler, magnesium hydroxide(for the constipationg)

in flux: seroquel 50mg
up and coming: nuvigil

looking into injectables.

artane 2 mg PRN(rare), trazodone 50mg PRN, lyrica PRN?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog