Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious

Buspar

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_Deb

In_Remission_Deb
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2007 - 08:40 AM

I was reading some articles on Buspar. Looking for something to help with the most common side affect with Lexapro (my med) and most of the other meds. Sexual dysfunction. I am a female and cant get aroused at all now or have an orgasm. Pdoc mentioned ritalin to conteract that. Do not like anything I read about ritalin. Tried wellbutrin but was way to agitated and bitchy. Is there any help with my sex life while on lexapro?
Thanks

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 NicScraps

NicScraps

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression, Anxiety, OCD, Bipolar II???
  • Current Meds:Lamictal, Prozac, BuSpar, Ambien

Posted 19 September 2007 - 02:38 PM

Hi -

>reading some articles on Buspar. Looking for something to help with the most common side affect with Lexapro (my med) and most of the other meds.
>sexual dysfunction

I sympathize with the sexual problems of SSRIs. I don't have arousal problems on Prozac, but always did on Zoloft and Paxil.

Difficulty reaching orgasm and anorgasmia are common for women on SSRIs, probably because you've got too much serotonin around and it's hitting the wrong serotonin receptors (serotonin inhibits orgasm). This is really a threshhold issue -- the hill you have to climb is just so much higher (like Mt. Everest some days?). Lexapro especially is very potent and the most selective to serotonin. You might want to talk to the doc about trying a different SSRI to see if that helps. Sometimes a switch makes a big difference.

Loss of libido is a different problem, and it can be very hard to sort out the loss of libido that comes from your depression or other issues from the loss due to the meds themselves. Mental unwellness of any variety often equals loss of interest in sex. But, yes, it certainly can be caused by the meds themselves. You can think about whether the lack of interest preceeded the Lexapro, or if it's been there for a while, to see if there seems to be a clear link between the med and the symptom.

I recently added BuSpar to my sort-of-working Prozac as an augmententation for my apparently tx-resisting depression. I also wanted to see if the BuSpar would reverse my SSRI-associated teeth grinding and difficulty with orgasm.

Here's my experience so far. I had one week of the BuSpar at 15mg/day, then another week at 20mg/day. I've now been at 40mg/day for just over a week (which should be long enough to reach steady state). My pdoc claims he sometimes goes as high as 80-100mg/day, so theoretically I could still go up.

The BuSpar does NOT seem to be helping with the tooth grinding so far.

However, I do think the BuSpar is helping a bit with the depression, and also helping somewhat with making it easier to reach orgasm, especially now at 40 mg/day. I have also been surprised that it seems to be helping quite a lot for my anxiety. (Yes, I know that is what it's normally used for, but I had previously read a lot of stuff that made me think the BuSpar would not do much for the anxiety. I've never taken benzos, and BuSpar apparently works better with no hx of benzo use. Maybe that is why it seems to work so much better for me than it did for others I've read about).

One nice thing about BuSpar is that it's not causing any NEW problems for me. I agree with Jarod's entry on BuSpar at the main crazymeds site in that it's not too likely to cause a lot of icky side effects compared to many other options.

Cryptoheptadine (Periactin) is an antihistamine with some anti-serotonin properties that can be taken before sexual activity and may reverse anorgasmia. If you can stay awake on it. Maybe. It's probably worth a try once or twice, as it's taken sort of like //vi@gr@// -- just in advance.

Speaking of //vi@gr@//, if you can get your doc to give it to you and you can afford it, maybe it's worth one or two tries also. Yes, I understand that you are a female, but //vi@gr@// sends extra blood to the region of interest in women, just as it does in men. It's possible it could be helpful. I haven't gotten up the nerve to ask my pdoc for it, but lots of women have used it with success.

hope this helps a bit and best wishes -
Nicole

Edited by NicScraps, 20 September 2007 - 11:11 AM.

Dx: Depression, anxiety, panic attacks, OCD, possibly bipolar II ???, plus hypertension
Rx: Lamictal 150 mg, Prozac 20mg, BuSpar 20 mg, Ambien 5 mg, plus Benicar for hypertension

"The only courage that matters is the kind that gets you from one moment to the next." Mignon McLaughlin

#3 In_Remission_Broshious

In_Remission_Broshious
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:41 PM

I was reading some articles on Buspar. Looking for something to help with the most common side affect with Lexapro (my med) and most of the other meds. Sexual dysfunction. I am a female and cant get aroused at all now or have an orgasm. Pdoc mentioned ritalin to conteract that. Do not like anything I read about ritalin. Tried wellbutrin but was way to agitated and bitchy. Is there any help with my sex life while on lexapro?
Thanks

You say you do not like anything you've read about ritalin. What exactly don't you like? The nice thing about the ritalin is that you'd know if it worked the first day you took it, and if you wanted to you could just take it as needed for sexual activity, assuming that it works of course.

#4 NicScraps

NicScraps

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression, Anxiety, OCD, Bipolar II???
  • Current Meds:Lamictal, Prozac, BuSpar, Ambien

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:25 PM

Thanks

You say you do not like anything you've read about ritalin. What exactly don't you like? The nice thing about the ritalin is that you'd know if it worked the first day you took it, and if you wanted to you could just take it as needed for sexual activity, assuming that it works of course.

That's an excellent point about the Ritalin -- you wouldn't need to take it continually, making it another one that is easy enough to try out.

Nicole
Dx: Depression, anxiety, panic attacks, OCD, possibly bipolar II ???, plus hypertension
Rx: Lamictal 150 mg, Prozac 20mg, BuSpar 20 mg, Ambien 5 mg, plus Benicar for hypertension

"The only courage that matters is the kind that gets you from one moment to the next." Mignon McLaughlin

#5 KarenRB53

KarenRB53

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, GAD,
  • Current Meds:Celexa, Ativan,

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:26 AM

Thanks

That's an excellent point about the Ritalin -- you wouldn't need to take it continually, making it another one that is easy enough to try out.

Nicole

Hi: Just wondered if you're still taking the Buspar with the Prozac,etc. If so, does it work well for you? I'm hoping to find something that I can take with Prozac that will keep the "inner agitation" away.

Karen

#6 Petrucci914

Petrucci914

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 12:02 PM

Thanks

What are your main issues? Depression, or anxiety?

If you just have anxiety then BuSpar is great because it'll attack your axiety without having the nasty SSRI side-effects.

If it's for depression, then there is some research indicating that the SSRI+BuSpar combo makes the SSRI more effective.

The only meds that usually combat the SSRI's Sexual Side-effects are BuSpar or Wellbutrin augmentation. You said you took Wellbutrin and that it was too energizing, but maybe if you combined it with Lexapro the side-effects of each would cancel out. That is a very common combination and used to work great for me back in the day before things pooped out.

SSRIs have ruined me sexually......even after I've stopped them. I used to get erections easily but now I feel like an 80 year-old in a 23 year-old's body. Life is grand!

I've figured it out
There is no doubt I need some help
Can you try to save me from myself?
-Enchant "Defenseless"

Diagnosis:  TR Dysthymia, GAD

Current Meds:  Abilify 5mg, Wellbutrin XL 300mg

#7 Brainbeard

Brainbeard

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Diagnoses:OCD, non-Asperger, a bit of schizo-affective disorder, hypochondria, depression.
  • Current Meds:Check signature.

Posted 07 November 2008 - 05:07 AM

There is a simple alternative: drinking lots of strong coffee irregularly. This is a very effective aphrodisiac, but it only works when you stop drinking coffee daily. Instead of coffee, you can use guarana (containing caffeine), which might work even better but will stay in your blood longer.

I combine Prozac (5-10mg a day) with Buspar (25-30mg a day). I have no idea if Buspar helps with sexual problems. It does seem to help with anxiety, even though I use benzo's every now and then.

Karen: Buspar isn't very likely to help with inner agitation caused by Prozac, since it helps Prozac elevate noradrenaline levels even more, which is likely to cause anxiety {EDIT: I mean inner agitation] rather than to lessen it. So Buspar makes Prozac even more stimulating.

Edited by Brainbeard, 08 November 2008 - 06:36 AM.

Current meds: Zoloft (sertraline) 250mg, Neurontin (gabapentin) 2400mg or more, Concerta (methylphenidate XR) 18mg + methylphenidate 5mg as needed, 1 Deanxit (flupentixol 0,5mg + melitracene 10mg).
Have used before: alprazolam, oxazepam, clonazepam, diazepam, buprenorphine, amitriptyline, modafinil, fluoxetine (Prozac), imipramine, trimipramine, lorazepam (Ativan), flurazepam, amisulpride, piribedil, ziprasidone (Geodon), buspirone, tramadol, ondansetron, risperidone, tianeptine, amineptine, nortriptyline, codeine, paroxetine (Paxil/Seroxat).
-Some of the magic syrup was preserved.

#8 leighwest

leighwest

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Diagnoses:Mood Disorder NOS- for insurance purposes only...
  • Current Meds:Lamictal 100 Fluoxetine 20 Klonopin .5

Posted 30 January 2009 - 02:34 PM

http://www.jfponline...p?aid=1259&UID=
Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God?this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is?His good, pleasing and perfect will.
Romans 12:1-2

Many people have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness.
It is not attained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.
- Helen Keller

If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking!

#9 In_Remission_Cathalain

In_Remission_Cathalain
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:32 AM

Buspar didn't help at all with my sexual side effect problem, but then I was on Paxil at the time and Paxil will kill a sex drive so fast it'll make your head spin.

It does help with anxiety issues, though. Does it ever! I'd rather be celibate for the rest of my life than have the anxiety back.

#10 mj1127

mj1127

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, ADHD, migraine
  • Current Meds:Lithium CR, Abilify, Latuda, Adderall, Wellbutrin

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:25 AM

If you just have anxiety then BuSpar is great because it'll attack your axiety without having the nasty SSRI side-effects.

If it's for depression, then there is some research indicating that the SSRI+BuSpar combo makes the SSRI more effective.

Well, maybe. BuSpar + SSRI did nothing for my anxiety or my depression, and it made me almost pass out several times (hence I stopped taking it). I know others for which this is true. I'd hesitate to make blanket statements about its efficacy.

MJ

Bipolar NOS, ADHD, migraine

300mg Lithium CR, 7.5mg Abilify, 40mg Latuda, 20mg Adderall BID, 150mg Wellbutrin XL

#11 therapeuticbrigg84

therapeuticbrigg84

Would-be Neurologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Diagnoses:generalized anxiety, social anxiety, fibro/insomnia (schizotypal catch all)
  • Current Meds:GBP 300mg, HCTZ 25mg, ARTANE 2-4mg PRN, TRAZ 50mg PRN, fish oil

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:46 PM

well here's a blanket statement. if u knew more about buspar and what it is, you'd realize its not so bad. for some people their general attitude and behavior goes against a drug working for them-- the reason why everyone's different.

I did feel i was going to pass out a few times on this drug, but like most drugs this overall feeling diminished over time, as my body acclimated to the drug. just like people that have panic attacks dont usually like coffee, the same goes for this drug.

dx: schizotypal personality disorder, dystonic neck and back pain, GERD. a bit of TD, akathisia, dysmorphic thoughts, affect is questionable

seroquel and inderal 60mg made me fatigued/ depressed. may hafta try lopressor or bisoprolol

inderal interacts with ssris and anti-psychs.

success HCTZ not only lowers my blood pressure and pulse more effectively. but it also has helped with the headaches ive been having. i should see a doctor about this.

[color="#0000FF"]rx: klonopin .5-1 prn, omega 3 fish oil, vitamin D3 iu, albuterol sulfate inhaler, magnesium hydroxide(for the constipationg)

in flux: seroquel 50mg
up and coming: nuvigil

looking into injectables.

artane 2 mg PRN(rare), trazodone 50mg PRN, lyrica PRN?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog