Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious

Tolvon(mianserin)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_pepsi

In_Remission_pepsi
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2008 - 02:14 PM

Remerons older brother are still used in europe. It`s a old tetracyclic AD with strong sedative effects. It is used of-label for insomnia.
Very common side effects are: crazy dreams, and WEIGHT GAIN! I dont know about any other AD who cause so much weight gain!
Tolvon(Mianserin) typrical dosage for sleep:15-60 mg. Depression: 30-120 mg.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Simba Cub

Simba Cub

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts
  • Diagnoses:Schizoaffective disorder of the depressive type; Panic; GAD; OCD; PTSD; Transient Ischaemic Attacks
  • Current Meds:Alprazolam, Clozapine, Sodium Valproate, Tranylcypromine, Trifluoperazine

Posted 29 November 2008 - 06:43 PM

From my site:

An interesting drug, mianserin doesn't so much inhibit the reuptake of the monoamine neurotransmitter noradrenaline as it does encourage its production. The drug has largely been phased out at the time of writing in favour of the medication mirtazapine of the same family.

Rich::

Edited by Simba Cub, 29 November 2008 - 06:43 PM.

Diagnosed with: Schizoaffective Disorder of the Depressive Type; Panic; GAD; OCD; PTSD; Transient Ischaemic Attacks

Experience in: Alprazolam, Aripiprazole, Bupropion, Chlordiazepoxide, Citalopram, Clonazepam, Clozapine, Dothiepin, Duloxetine, ECT, EMDR, Fluoxetine, Imipramine, Lamotrigine, Lithium, Lorazepam, Mirtazapine, Moclobemide, Olanzapine, Paroxetine, Procyclidine, Propranolol, Quetiapine, Reboxetine, Risperidone, Sertraline, Sodium Valproate, Tranylcypromine, Trifluoperazine, Venlafaxine, Zolpidem, Zopiclone.

#3 X-ray

X-ray

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:50 AM

Remerons older brother are still used in europe. It`s a old tetracyclic AD with strong sedative effects. It is used of-label for insomnia.
Very common side effects are: crazy dreams, and WEIGHT GAIN! I dont know about any other AD who cause so much weight gain!
Tolvon(Mianserin) typrical dosage for sleep:15-60 mg. Depression: 30-120 mg.

Hi,

I have been on Remeron (mirtazapine) for six months, but now I'm going to try Tolvon (mianserin).
I would like to hear from anyone who is familiar with these drugs.

The crucial question for me is whether Tolvon is better for sleep than Remeron.
I just don't get enough sleep with Remeron.

Keep smiling,
X-ray

P.S. I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.

#4 In_Remission_stabularasa

In_Remission_stabularasa
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:42 PM

I have been on Remeron (mirtazapine) for six months, but now I'm going to try Tolvon (mianserin).mI would like to hear from anyone who is familiar with these drugs. The crucial question for me is whether Tolvon is better for sleep than Remeron. I just don't get enough sleep with Remeron.

Keep smiling,
X-ray

P.S. I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.

Hello X-ray
I've been on 90mg of mianserin for one year for depression. When I started taking it I felt like a complete zombie the next day, though this feeling begins to wear off after a month or two. I was institutionalized at the time I started taking it and I thought it was really great at first. The major problem is that I was unable to concentrate very well, I could not drive a car, and if I did I became unbearably anxious because it seemed like everything was moving too fast.

It is very important that you take it at the same time every day. I take mine at 9pm and at around 10pm I become incredibly hungry and just want to eat everything in the refrigerator. I can understand that it would cause weight gain. I used to weigh 70kg in 2004, then I was put on Sodium Valproate and later Zyprexa, though I stopped taking these meds I didn't lose the weight, and the Mianserin certainly didn't help. At the moment I'm close to 100kg.

As for it's use as a sleeping aid, I don't think I can help you. As I said, I take mine at 9pm every night, but will often stay awake until 3am. Sometimes I have even stayed awake until 3pm the next day.

My new psychiatrist is removing the Mianserin from my daily diet, I'm going off it by 30mg per week. Right now I've been on 60mg for the last five days and I have had incredible difficulty sleeping. I also have chronic daily headaches (since childhood) and my headaches over these last few days have been much worse.

I'm searching the internet to find any side-effects that are usually experienced during the cessation of Mianserin, but there's really not a lot of information out there about this old drug.

Hope that helps!
stabby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog