Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Costco & Sams Prescription Programs

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Sara E A

Sara E A

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Diagnoses:marburg MS, depression
  • Current Meds:concerta, bupropion, zolpidem, Keppra

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:38 AM

I recently had to drop my husband from our insurance coverage, and was wondering if anyone uninsured had tried the costco rx program, and whether it made any kind of difference in costs. I don't know what generics they stock, but I figure they can get a deal with rx like they do everything they sell: the leverage of buying large quantities. What we're looking for is generic wellbutrin, which he tapered off of when he lost his insurance.
Diagnoses: marburg multiple sclerosis, depression, seizures as a result of a surgery-created focus

Rx: Concerta 54 mg, Bupropion XL 300 mg, birth control, Keppra 500 mg 2x/day, Zolpidem 10 mg, Lamictal 25 mg

Supplements: Multivitamin, fish oil, calcium/vit d, occasional valerian, kava or melatonin.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Stacia

Stacia

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, ADD
  • Current Meds:Lamictal, Latuda, Lithium, Klonopin, Adderall

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:47 AM

In my limited experience a while ago, it's like the rest of Costco. Some meds are cheaper then elsewhere, some not. On the whole, it's supposed to be good. Still, your best bet is to check with a couple other local pharmacies including Target and the like. Some of the big box stores also have competitive pricing.

#3 Sara E A

Sara E A

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Diagnoses:marburg MS, depression
  • Current Meds:concerta, bupropion, zolpidem, Keppra

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:40 AM

In my limited experience a while ago, it's like the rest of Costco. Some meds are cheaper then elsewhere, some not. On the whole, it's supposed to be good. Still, your best bet is to check with a couple other local pharmacies including Target and the like. Some of the big box stores also have competitive pricing.

I live in the middle of nowhere, but a new pharmacy is just being built in my town, so I have few options.
Diagnoses: marburg multiple sclerosis, depression, seizures as a result of a surgery-created focus

Rx: Concerta 54 mg, Bupropion XL 300 mg, birth control, Keppra 500 mg 2x/day, Zolpidem 10 mg, Lamictal 25 mg

Supplements: Multivitamin, fish oil, calcium/vit d, occasional valerian, kava or melatonin.

#4 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• Chief Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, Epilepsy NOS, Autism, Agoraphobia/Social Anxiety
  • Current Meds:LTG 200mg, TPM 250mg, protriptyline 30mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 45mg EPA 600

Posted 26 October 2008 - 02:32 PM

I thought we had a topic about this already. Then again it may have vanished with a lot of previous content.

I live in the middle of nowhere, but a new pharmacy is just being built in my town, so I have few options.

Medicare part D(efraud) has killed a lot of pharmacies in small towns and rural areas. The pharmacy I usually use went from being open almost all day on Saturday, to half a day on Saturday, to closed Saturdays. That's never a good sign.

As I recall from the old topic generic bupriopion and other popular antidepressants are available at the big box stores' cheap-ass rates. Don't expect anticonvulsants to be as inexpensive and good luck finding any antipsychotics.

Fun fact: you don't have to be a CostCo member to use their pharmacy. Just ask the person who checks the cards.
Jerod Poore - Owner, Founder and Chief Citizen Medical Expert of crazymeds.us
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

Wear my Straitjacket     Batshit Crazy Blog

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

#5 notfred

notfred

Emergency Second Opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts
  • Diagnoses:check out signature
  • Current Meds:check out signature

Posted 26 October 2008 - 03:12 PM

Fun fact: you don't have to be a CostCo member to use their pharmacy. Just ask the person who checks the cards.

Sam thing with Sams Club. They tend to have the lowest prices in my area.

nf

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

Psyc Meds: Forfivo XL 450 mg (Wellbutrin XL), Abilify 15 mg, (Aripiprazole), Eszopiclone 6 mg (Lunesta), Vyvance 70 mg, (dextroamphetamine) Levetiracetam 2,000 mg (Keppra), Propranolol ER 60 mg (Inderal)
PRN: Lorazepam 1-4 mg (Ativan), Alprazolam 1-2 mg (Xanax), Dextroamphetamine 10-40 mg (Dexedrine), Propranolol 20-40 mg (Inderal)

Supps: Multi-vitamin/mineral, Vitamin D 2,000 IU, Fish oil 7.2 g

Dx: Depression, Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor

I also take allergy and diabetes + it's complications meds.

All doses are a daily total.

#6 In_Remission_captain couchboat

In_Remission_captain couchboat
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:11 PM

I picked up a bupropion (generic wellbutrin) prescription today at Costco. They stock the Sandoz version. I got 60 150 mg tablets of the SR for $56.17 - the same prescription used to cost me about $95 at my old pharmacy. I have seen it listed for even less from various sources online, but not from any pharmacies I recognized. It doesn't seem to be on the Walgreens or Target $4 lists.

I'm not a Costco member, and I asked if there were additional benefits to joining. They told me that it varies depending on the medication, and that they determine it at the time of sale according to their costs and their agreements with the manufacturers and suppliers, which can vary from time to time. They said sometimes people save a few bucks, but sometimes it's really significant. I didn't ask about the bupropion specifically. The price I paid was the same price shown on their website. If you google costco pharmacy pricing it will take you to the page.

#7 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• Chief Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, Epilepsy NOS, Autism, Agoraphobia/Social Anxiety
  • Current Meds:LTG 200mg, TPM 250mg, protriptyline 30mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 45mg EPA 600

Posted 12 November 2008 - 11:48 AM

I'm not a Costco member, and I asked if there were additional benefits to joining. They told me that it varies depending on the medication, and that they determine it at the time of sale according to their costs and their agreements with the manufacturers and suppliers, which can vary from time to time. They said sometimes people save a few bucks, but sometimes it's really significant. I didn't ask about the bupropion specifically. The price I paid was the same price shown on their website.

Now that's interesting, and useful.
Jerod Poore - Owner, Founder and Chief Citizen Medical Expert of crazymeds.us
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

Wear my Straitjacket     Batshit Crazy Blog

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

#8 eliyah

eliyah

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP II
  • Current Meds:Lamictal, Wellbutrin XL, Provigil, alprazolam

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:34 PM

I just priced brand-name Lamictal on Costco's website. It's $192 for 60 150-mg pills. If my insurance does what I think it does, that'll cost me half (!!) off what I pay my local pharmacist.

I believe strongly in supporting local businesses, but the difference in copays between $96/month (Costco) and $150/month (local drugstore) is just too big to ignore. Anyways, the local pharmacy is booming; over ten years they've gone from one pharmacist, a few techs, and a couple of old computers to a high-tech operation, two and a half pharmacists, and a gazillion trainees and techs. So I don't think they'll miss my business too much.

Edited by eliyah, 09 December 2008 - 11:35 PM.

Dx: Bipolar II, Fibromyalgia, prob. ADHD
Crazymeds: Lamictal 400, Wellbutrin XL 300mg, zolpidam, alprazolam.
Fibromyalgia meds: Savella 100 mg, Naltrexone 3mg

You don't have to believe everything you think.

#9 Lazarus Prime

Lazarus Prime

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 03:46 PM

In my brief experience buying medications out-of-pocket, Costco is the cheapest i've found. For example, I take 20mg Lexapro and there's no generic for it. I called around to get pricing for a 30-day supply, and Costco's price (88$ and change, IIRC) was cheaper than Safeway, Albertson's, Walgreens, Walmart... you get the idea :mad: Some of them were charging over 30% more than Costco's no-insurance price. I didn't call Sam's Club, though, so I will have to do so.

Edited by Sduibek, 08 January 2009 - 03:47 PM.

#10 VAL

VAL

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • Diagnoses:BPII
  • Current Meds:See Signature

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:21 PM

Sduibek

Are you also participating in their prescription drug discount program? I'm curious because I'm bringing in the paperwork for it on Monday or Tuesday and will see if they offered any discounts on the drugs I'm taking. The stuff I buy at costco is cheap to begin with....I get the expensive stuff from patient assistance programs

Current Meds: Lamictal 325mg, Wellbutrin XL 450mg, Neurontin 900mg, Klonopin 1.5mg, Saphris 10mg, Trazodone up to 200mg, Prozosin 2mg, Zyprexa 5mg PRN and Inderal 20mg PRN
Past Meds: Siniquan, Elavil, Imipramine, Zoloft, Seroquel, Abilify, Nardil, Emsam, Rozerem and Ambien
Current Non-psych: Soma 350mg PRN, Norco 10mg/325 PRN, Percocet 10mg/325 PRN, Advair, Nasonex, Ventolin PRN, Allegra, Avalide, Dexilant, Levothroxine, Pravachol

#11 Lazarus Prime

Lazarus Prime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 01:30 PM

Sduibek

Are you also participating in their prescription drug discount program? I'm curious because I'm bringing in the paperwork for it on Monday or Tuesday and will see if they offered any discounts on the drugs I'm taking. The stuff I buy at costco is cheap to begin with....I get the expensive stuff from patient assistance programs

I am not at this time. Sorry I may not have even added anything useful with my post above :mad: I was able to finally get my employer's insurance (covers Rx) to kick in, but the prices are pretty similar. I don't think the price for Lexapro changed at all. From what I understand the Costco program and others like it unfortunately only apply if you have no coverage. Shit I might even be better off with that instead of my current crappy Rx coverage. lol.

#12 In_Remission_gmaple

In_Remission_gmaple
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:03 PM

I know this an older thread, but I just got back from my first visit to a Costco. This is not specific to their Rx program ---I have crappy insurance with a high deductible. The Rx I filled today was lamotrigine 100 x 60 ct. I've been paying $59 or something like that at CVS. I'm not exactly sure which med is which price at this moment, but I think that is right.

At Costco it was $8.51. I had to ask the cashier if it was right. That paid for the $50 membership fee right there -- even though as stated above, you don't need to be a member to go their pharm. But hey -- if you need a gallon jar of pickles, you're all set. You just have to handle the overwhelming experience.

I was thinking about discontinuing this drug because everything is just too expensive. I'm actually supposed to be at 300, and I've tapered up, but couldn't find the paper Rx today. Maddening. So stupid from gabapentin, which has been 150 f-ing dollars. I'm anxious to see how much cheaper that will be.

peace,
g

#13 In_Remission_dramamama

In_Remission_dramamama
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:40 AM

My kids are in that on again off again fill out the paperwork AGAIN SCHIP hole.

We just got a three month supply of oxcarbazepine 50 mg (116.23), citalopram 10mg (9.23) and trazadone 50mg (9.13) for $134.59 for my daughter, I'm impressed!

Now I'm trying to figure out what to do for my son - I can't find a thing for Generic Adderall XR anywhere that is reasonably priced. :mad:

#14 R.P McMurphy

R.P McMurphy

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Diagnoses:A silly man that is an Alcholic with Depression..
  • Current Meds:150MG Wellbutrrin (generic-Sedona) twice daily, 12 step Program (AA)

Posted 30 April 2010 - 04:01 AM

I picked up a bupropion (generic wellbutrin) prescription today at Costco. They stock the Sandoz version. I got 60 150 mg tablets of the SR for $56.17 - the same prescription used to cost me about $95 at my old pharmacy. I have seen it listed for even less from various sources online, but not from any pharmacies I recognized. It doesn't seem to be on the Walgreens or Target $4 lists.

I'm not a Costco member, and I asked if there were additional benefits to joining. They told me that it varies depending on the medication, and that they determine it at the time of sale according to their costs and their agreements with the manufacturers and suppliers, which can vary from time to time. They said sometimes people save a few bucks, but sometimes it's really significant. I didn't ask about the bupropion specifically. The price I paid was the same price shown on their website. If you google costco pharmacy pricing it will take you to the page.

I did the same. I'm a Costco member and I also have the Sandoz 150SR generic Wellbutrin. It cost me $44 for 60.
That was $60-70 cheaper than CVS, Walgreens, and Publix. Walmart was 2nd cheapest at about $60 for 60.
Thank god for Costco, otherwise I wouldnt be able to afford it.

#15 Classically_James

Classically_James

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts
  • Diagnoses:see signature
  • Current Meds:See signature

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:30 PM

Yep, that's correct: You have a right to use Sam's Club and Costco Pharmacies even if you aren't a member of Sam's or Costco. I thought I'd post this so if someone out there didn't know that, they will now. Just go to the front door and tell them you're going to the pharmacy. They have to let you in.
James

Edited by egodystonic_james, 30 April 2010 - 08:31 PM.

Diagnoses:

1. Major Depressive Disorder (MDD - atypical type)

2. Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)

3. Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD)(in partial remission)

4. Cotard's Delusion (removed prior to DSM IV in 1994(in partial remission)  

Medications:

1 Cymbalta 60 mg

2. Abilify 10 ng

3. Soma 350 mg TID

4. Lunesta 3 mg

5. Forfivo XL 450 mg

#16 Classically_James

Classically_James

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:43 PM

Wow, thanks for the info about getting deeper discounts on meds by getting a membership to Costco and Sam's.

As far as trying to pay cash for atypical antipsychotics, try, try, try to see if generic Risperdal (risperidone) will work. It is the only atypical that is generic, and definately call around to get quotes of cash prices. They can vary wildly. I called the local Sam's, and without a membership the cost of 60 2 mg Risperidone's is $172, which is not bad because that is a therapeutic dose. The next lowest cash-price comparable dose of an atypical, Geodon, is over $500.

However, Zyprexa (olanzapine) and possibly Seroquel (quetiapine) are going generic in 2011. So probably in the next few years the second-generation antipsychotics will be available at much lower prices.
James

Edited by egodystonic_james, 30 April 2010 - 08:47 PM.

Diagnoses:

Medications:

1 Cymbalta 60 mg

2. Abilify 10 ng

3. Soma 350 mg TID

4. Lunesta 3 mg

5. Forfivo XL 450 mg

#17 korey1015

korey1015

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression, Social Phobia
  • Current Meds:check my signature

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:34 PM

As far as trying to pay cash for atypical antipsychotics, try, try, try to see if generic Risperdal (risperidone) will work. It is the only atypical that is generic...

I think Clozaril is also generic, but it's probably not very practical for prn use like Risperdal can be.

Current Rx:
Wellbutrin XL 300mg, Eskalith CR 900mg, Luvox 200mg, and Restoril 30mg

Things I have been prescribed:
Lexapro (escitalopram), Zoloft (sertraline), Celexa (citalopram), Prozac (fluoxetine), Paxil (paroxetine), Luvox (fluvoxamine), Effexor XR (venlafaxine), Remeron (mirtazapine), Wellbutrin SR/XL (bupropion), Eskalith CR (lithium), Topamax (topiramate), Valium (diazepam), Xanax (alprazolam), Ativan (lorazepam), Tranxene (clorazepate), Ambien (zolpidem), Restoril (temazepam), Rozerem (ramelteon), Desyrel (trazodone), Ritalin (methylphenidate), Adderall (amphetamine salts), Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine), Inderal (propranolol), Lopressor (metoprolol), Thorazine (chlorpromazine), Lamictal (lamotrigine), Abilify (aripiprazole), Depakote (divalproex), Geodon (ziprasidone), Sinequan (doxepin), Somnote (chloral hydrate), ProSom (estazolam)

#18 Classically_James

Classically_James

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:41 PM

Oops, I always forget clozapine. Good point!

James

Diagnoses:

Medications:

1 Cymbalta 60 mg

2. Abilify 10 ng

3. Soma 350 mg TID

4. Lunesta 3 mg

5. Forfivo XL 450 mg

#19 VAL

VAL

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 10:55 AM

I went to the costco pharmacy for years without belonging but joined when I filled out the paperwork for their prescription program. My more expensive meds are free through the pharma co's but I take several cheaper generics. I only save a few dollars on each one but it adds up and made joining worth it...I also get those giant bottles of ibuprophen and use the generic zantac and it's much cheaper there and you do need a membership card to buy the over the counter pharmacy stuff.

Current Meds: Lamictal 325mg, Wellbutrin XL 450mg, Neurontin 900mg, Klonopin 1.5mg, Saphris 10mg, Trazodone up to 200mg, Prozosin 2mg, Zyprexa 5mg PRN and Inderal 20mg PRN
Past Meds: Siniquan, Elavil, Imipramine, Zoloft, Seroquel, Abilify, Nardil, Emsam, Rozerem and Ambien
Current Non-psych: Soma 350mg PRN, Norco 10mg/325 PRN, Percocet 10mg/325 PRN, Advair, Nasonex, Ventolin PRN, Allegra, Avalide, Dexilant, Levothroxine, Pravachol

#20 Classically_James

Classically_James

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:40 PM

Ummm....yeah, I feel pretty stupid because it seems that everyone already knows about this. I was just trying to help people out.
James

Diagnoses:

Medications:

1 Cymbalta 60 mg

2. Abilify 10 ng

3. Soma 350 mg TID

4. Lunesta 3 mg

5. Forfivo XL 450 mg

#21 R.P McMurphy

R.P McMurphy

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Diagnoses:A silly man that is an Alcholic with Depression..
  • Current Meds:150MG Wellbutrrin (generic-Sedona) twice daily, 12 step Program (AA)

Posted 01 May 2010 - 06:45 PM

Ummm....yeah, I feel pretty stupid because it seems that everyone already knows about this. I was just trying to help people out.
James

You helped me out, I wouldnt have thought to check Costco if not for this thread...also wouldnt have known to avoid Teva generic WB, Thanks. :mad:

#22 Classically_James

Classically_James

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 06:58 PM

Cool! You made this thread worth it :mad: !! Anyway, I certainly didn't know until this week that you didn't have to be a member to use their pharmacies.

James

Diagnoses:

Medications:

1 Cymbalta 60 mg

2. Abilify 10 ng

3. Soma 350 mg TID

4. Lunesta 3 mg

5. Forfivo XL 450 mg

#23 eliyah

eliyah

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP II
  • Current Meds:Lamictal, Wellbutrin XL, Provigil, alprazolam

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:43 PM

Here's a little whining for ya'all. I forget which med it was, but a few years ago I found that Costco's online listed price without insurance was way less than Medco's total price (copay plus what they covered). But when I called to see if it was true, Costco said yes, but that my co-pay would be the same because the insurance company took the entire savings. I can't even describe the incredibly stupid and insane explanation Medco's pharmacy people gave me. So if you have insurance, check the copay first in case they'll screw you like mine does.
Dx: Bipolar II, Fibromyalgia, prob. ADHD
Crazymeds: Lamictal 400, Wellbutrin XL 300mg, zolpidam, alprazolam.
Fibromyalgia meds: Savella 100 mg, Naltrexone 3mg

You don't have to believe everything you think.

#24 VAL

VAL

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:48 AM

Why did you have it run through insurance at all? I never put my cheaper meds through when I had insurance. Some of my drugs are around five dollars (like xanax and klonopin) and the minimum co-pay was $10.00...so screw that.

#25 In_Remission_Breagha

In_Remission_Breagha
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:13 PM

Hello all. I am one of the unlucky uninsured anxiety ridden depressed people :mad: I just started on venlafaxine hcl xr 35.7 mg again (although it was regular Effexor before) and the generic cost me 95 dollars at Rite Aid (which was cheaper than Walmart). For a 30 day prescription. I almost wept. I don't have a job right now and I'm a student/waitress most of the time. I was looking up the Cosco prices (I think the nearest one is a 1.5 hour drive but whatev) and the venlafaxine hcl xr is MORE than the Rite Aid price, but the plain venlafaxine hcl is around 15 bucks for a 30 day prescription. Say what!!!

Is there that large a difference between the regular and xr versions? Would it be worth it to ask my Dr to switch me to the regular vhcl? She wanted to put me on Lexapro (whatever the generic similar to it is) which is on the Walmart 4 dollar program, but I already know Effexor works. I'm afraid one day I'll run out of money and I can scrounge up 15 dollars a lot easier than I can 95 dollars!

#26 Serpens

Serpens

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • Diagnoses:GAD w/Panic and Major Depression Symptoms
  • Current Meds:Emsam 6mg/24hr, .25mg Xanax prn

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:34 PM

Hello all. I am one of the unlucky uninsured anxiety ridden depressed people :mad: I just started on venlafaxine hcl xr 35.7 mg again (although it was regular Effexor before) and the generic cost me 95 dollars at Rite Aid (which was cheaper than Walmart). For a 30 day prescription. I almost wept. I don't have a job right now and I'm a student/waitress most of the time. I was looking up the Cosco prices (I think the nearest one is a 1.5 hour drive but whatev) and the venlafaxine hcl xr is MORE than the Rite Aid price, but the plain venlafaxine hcl is around 15 bucks for a 30 day prescription. Say what!!!

Is there that large a difference between the regular and xr versions? Would it be worth it to ask my Dr to switch me to the regular vhcl? She wanted to put me on Lexapro (whatever the generic similar to it is) which is on the Walmart 4 dollar program, but I already know Effexor works. I'm afraid one day I'll run out of money and I can scrounge up 15 dollars a lot easier than I can 95 dollars!

The generic Effexor XR is a newly release generic. It has been on the market for less than a few months. At $95, the price has come down a bit already. It will likely come down more as January approaches, and other generic manufacturers ready to release their copies of the drug. Controlled release drugs are expensive to develop and manufacture, hence the price difference.

There is a significant difference between the XR and immediate release versions of Effexor. They are not directly substitutable drugs. While you may be able to switch, it would require different dosing and may not be effective, though you also may find it just as effective. It's an option worth considering.

There are patient assistance for Effexor. You may qualify: http://www.needymeds...name=Effexor XR . You can also look into your state's Medicaid program.

#27 In_Remission_Breagha

In_Remission_Breagha
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:07 PM

The generic Effexor XR is a newly release generic. It has been on the market for less than a few months. At $95, the price has come down a bit already. It will likely come down more as January approaches, and other generic manufacturers ready to release their copies of the drug. Controlled release drugs are expensive to develop and manufacture, hence the price difference.

There is a significant difference between the XR and immediate release versions of Effexor. They are not directly substitutable drugs. While you may be able to switch, it would require different dosing and may not be effective, though you also may find it just as effective. It's an option worth considering.

There are patient assistance for Effexor. You may qualify: http://www.needymeds...me=Effexor%20XR . You can also look into your state's Medicaid program.

Thank you for replying! I am only on day 3 of starting the vhclxr. But I already bought the 30 day prescription so I might as well use it. Luckily I'm not months into it which would make the switch difficult :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog