Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious

Lexapro And Extreme Sleepiness

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_obvious

In_Remission_obvious
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2007 - 06:44 PM

My SO takes Lexapro for depression. He takes 10mg once a day. He's tried taking it before bed, and he's tried taking it upon waking. No matter when he takes it, it causes him to be extremely sleepy for the entire day. He'll fall back asleep about an hour after waking and sleep for another few hours. Then he'll wake up for an hour or two, then take another hour nap. Does anyone else experience this? He's trying to get ahold of his doc to switch meds. The first time he raised concerns, he was told to change the time of day he took the pill, but that did nothing. Could he be over medicated? Or is the drug simply the wrong one for him? Other than sleeping all day long, he doesn't have any other side effects.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Eeyore

Eeyore

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:01 PM

I'm having the same issue with Celexzzzza which is aparently an older model of Lexapro. A friend of mine had this on lexapro too, although she previously had insomnia, so this side effect is a missed blessing. I guess some questions to ask are, how long has it been? (Some side effects go away after a few weeks. I am biding my time until exactly 28 days before I give up). And, what else have you tried? As far as being "over-medicated," it's all relative and you won't get an answer here. Could just be a particular person's reaction to the drug. From what I know about Lexapro 10mg is not unreasonable.
Dx: MDD and ADD-inattentive type

RX: 20 mg Celexa and Strattera 50mg., fish oil
Formerly on Prozac 20mg, Wellbutrin 300mg.

#3 In_Remission_obvious

In_Remission_obvious
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2007 - 05:57 AM

He's been on it for 2.5 months, IMHO, well past the break in period. Even my Cymbalta only took 6 weeks to break in. He's still trying to get an appointment with his doc, in the meantime I feel so bad for him sleeping all the time. His life is passing him by just as it did when he was depressed.

#4 In_Remission_smfry5

In_Remission_smfry5
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2007 - 05:07 PM

I just restarted the lexapro after having a very horrible time with cymbalta. I was having sleep probs in the form of not being able to sleep at first then after 2 days I couldn't get up. I decided to just cut the pill at the score, 5 mgs, and work my way up to the 10. I figure once my body adapts to the 5 I be able to maybe tolerate 10 a little easier. I have had to do this with pain meds so I thought why not, I've seen others post who were only on 5 mgs. My doc is just throwing whatever she has in samples anyway I figure this may be a little safer than pumping all kinds of chemicals in my system blindly. I did note that after 24 hours I noted a difference already. I was still depressed but I actually got up and made myself function. Just my two cents.

#5 In_Remission_Bewolf

In_Remission_Bewolf
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2007 - 05:42 PM

I had the same problem with Lexapro. I was on 20mg for about three months and would sleep about 18 hours a day when I didn't have to work and was extremely tired when I was working. It didn't do jack for depression, but it did wonderful things for anxiety (when I was awake at least).

And, for me, coming off Lex was extremely annoying. The brain shivers and dizziness lasted for about a month after I stopped taking it (and that was after working down from 20 to 5mg every other day over the course of a couple months).

#6 In_Remission_Bewolf

In_Remission_Bewolf
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2007 - 06:05 PM

Forgot to mention - I also tried taking it at different times of the day. Taking it before bed was the worst, barely slept at all had some wicked night sweats. In the end I just took it in the morning.

#7 In_Remission_erich

In_Remission_erich
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2007 - 06:45 PM

I had this problem, but with Prozac -- would get 10 hours of sleep, be up for three or four hours, then need to take a nap for three hours. Oddly, switching to Lexapro has helped. I think it's just one of those idiosyncratic things about how different people process different SSRI's.

#8 toe

toe

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Diagnoses:spin the wheel, dude.
  • Current Meds:trilleptal 600mg buspar 40mg trazadone 150mg potassium 20 meq pepcid 40mg

Posted 21 September 2007 - 02:52 PM

Lexapro is the only SSRI that did this to me. That's pretty much all there was to my lexperience
current meds: bupropion xl 300mg,--> topiramate 200mg, immaculate conception control pills, invega 3mg, zyprexa 2.5-5mg, hydroxyzine 75mg, trazadone 100mg, ranitidine 300mg, K-Chlor 20-40meq, ipatropium bromide & albuterol
past meds: everything else

#9 bookowl

bookowl

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Diagnoses:complicated

Posted 21 September 2007 - 06:47 PM

I had the problem of sleepiness as well as increased appetite with my lexapro. I discovered really "by accident" that the decongestant I take for help with my allergies also helps greatly with the lexapro side effects. Although I take it as zyrtec-D, it's just the 12-hour extended release sudafed. I did not get the same benefit on the plain 10 mg. zyrtec.
Bookowl

#10 In_Remission_Toxitta

In_Remission_Toxitta
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2007 - 03:30 PM

I've experienced the extreme sleepiness for years now. In fact, I just woke up from a 12 hour "nap".

My experience with sleepiness hasn't been all bad. For the most part I can stay awake using sugar free energy drinks if its coming on really strong and I can't afford to give in. It seems very cyclic to me, weeks of extreme sleepiness followed by weeks of wakefulness. It can be very relaxing to sleep for 14 to 16 hours in one day, in my easy chair, listening to the baseball games in the center of town. It certainly does a lot to ease my stress.

My other celexa effects have gone away, this is the one that still strikes me. It's one I can live with and may even be a beneficial effect depending on how you think about it.

My partner does worry about it too. She's extremely active and always doing something so its hard for her to understand how I can just sleep. I do feel guilty because I can't give her the attention she deserves. She's a wonderful, beautiful and fun person (and tolerant) and she deserves someone who can play with her more often. When I'm in one of my sleepy cycles, and she really wants me to do something with her, she surprises me with a tasty mocha or a smoothie loaded with energy powder.

#11 Paris

Paris

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression & ADD. Possibly Bi-Polar, Schizoaffective or something else as well.
  • Current Meds:Adderall, Cymbalta, Zonegran, Buspar, Seroquel, Thyrolar, Tenex, Klonopin & other PRNs.

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:31 PM

Yup, me too. I've tried it for over a month and the sleepiness hasn't subsided. Also, my Adderall doesn't seem to be working anymore. Time for a new AD.

#12 Artemisia

Artemisia

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression
  • Current Meds:sertraline, cetirizine, zolpidem

Posted 24 October 2008 - 02:44 PM

I was ready to switch to another SSRI/SNRI because of the sleepiness, but my doctor decided to add Wellbutrin instead. So far, the combination has been working for me pretty well. (I'm taking the "crappy" generic "Wellbutrin"*; I've never been on the real thing, so my body doesn't really know the difference.)

*I'm not saying that all generics are worse than all brand name meds. Hell, some may even work better, but there's an excellent chance that they will be different in their effectiveness. "Wellbutrin" is thus far only made by a single generics company, and this particular "Wellbutrin" is known to suck with respect to the brand name stuff.
Current meds: sertraline 100mg, cetirizine 5mg, zolpidem 2.5 mg

#13 Mrs. Singer

Mrs. Singer

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Diagnoses:migraines/headaches
  • Current Meds:Topamax 100mg, Lexapro 10mg

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:24 PM

Lexapro is also making me extremely sleepy. It also makes me kind of not care about anything. I'm highly unmotivated to do anything other than lay on the couch all day long.

I'm not taking it for depression. I'm taking it to counteract the agitation and irritability from topamax. My doc did not think cogentin or artane were good ideas, and he actually wanted to switch me from topamax to something else, but I begged him not to. So, he suggested the lexapro because it is fast acting, until I see the ndoc on the 15th.

But lexapro is not helping with the agitation at all. I'm not being as mean to people, I think because I don't have the energy for it. But inside I still feel like I want to jump out of my skin. And this whole teeth clenching/grinding thing from the lexapro doesn't really help things. I've been on lex for two weeks now. I thought the lethargy might get better once I adjusted to the med, but the longer I'm on it, I feel more tired. So, I think I will call my doc on monday and ask if I can d/c lex. People will just have to deal with my bitchiness until the ndoc figures something out.

If my doc says it's ok, can I just stop the lexapro? I'm on 10 mg. Or will I have to taper down?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that lexapro is also giving me awful headaches. And since I'm on topamax for headaches, it doesn't make any sense to stay on lex.
I feel like I'm running around in circles with all these SE's, and I'm only on two meds.

Edited by Mrs. Singer, 05 December 2008 - 07:45 PM.

#14 wtf

wtf

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar lite
  • Current Meds:Pristiq, Lamictal, Strattera

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:23 PM

I had crazy bruxism on Lexapro. I don't know if that's common; I'm just saying.

#15 Electric Kite

Electric Kite

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression, anxiety
  • Current Meds:Citaloptam 40mg, Alprazolam 1 mg

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:10 PM

But lexapro is not helping with the agitation at all. I'm not being as mean to people, I think because I don't have the energy for it. But inside I still feel like I want to jump out of my skin.

Heh. I've been on Celexa a little over two weeks and while it seems to have stopped me sitting around being anxious, I'm incredibly jumpy. SO rolled over and began to snore, I startled so hard I threw myself out of bed. Now I no longer find myself thinking, "Oh my god, the telephone might ring at any moment," but when it does ring I jump and then stand there panting for about thirty seconds, heart racing. But then answer it without any feeling of dread. This is weird, but kind of funny, and an improvement.

Celexa did the sleep-all-day thing to me for a full two weeks. It's only really the last four days that getting out of bed and going to the bathroom isn't so exhausting that I have to lie down again and sleep for another six hours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog