Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Batshit Crazy mug
Batshit Crazy
Photo

How To Make Adderal Last Longer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Paris

Paris

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression & ADD. Possibly Bi-Polar, Schizoaffective or something else as well.
  • Current Meds:Adderall, Cymbalta, Zonegran, Buspar, Seroquel, Thyrolar, Tenex, Klonopin & other PRNs.

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:21 AM

I read somewhere that acidic stuff like citric acid, vitamin C, etc. interferes with Adderal and eliminates it faster and that alkaline stuff does the opposite-make it last longer..or something like that.

Basically right now I'm on 10 mg. 3x day and it's not enough. It sucks, it seems to last only about 3 hours. I don't have anything acidic within an hour of my doses and make sure I take it only with water on an empty stomach. My doc says I'm probably a rapid metabolizer.
On my next appointment I'm going to ask for a dose raise but until then, I'm screwed.

So, if I took it with say, an antacid or alka-seltzer or baking soda, would that make it last longer? I've heard of people doing that, but I don't know exactly how much I should take-I don't want to like suffer from an overdose or something like that. So, what do you guys do to make your Adderal last longer?

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Batshit Crazy buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Batshit Crazy
Medicated For Your Protection buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 sorrel

sorrel

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Diagnoses: Bipolar I
  • Current Meds: lithium 1800mg (1 mmol/L)

Posted 06 October 2008 - 07:35 AM

It is true that acidic foods will inhibit absorption of Adderall -- see this thread. Note that it prevents absorption, not that it makes you metabolize it faster.

The opposite is not true. Consuming alkaline foods with Adderall will have no effect. Adderall itself is alkaline. Adding other bases will do nothing.
It's terrible, Bob, to think that all I've suffered, and all the suffering I've caused, might have arisen from the lack of a little salt in my brain.

--Poet Robert Lowell, to publisher Bob Giroux, about lithium

#3 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• Chief Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,045 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, Epilepsy NOS, Autism, Agoraphobia/Social Anxiety
  • Current Meds:LTG 200mg, TPM 250mg, protriptyline 30mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 45mg EPA 600

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:14 AM

So, what do you guys do to make your Adderal last longer?

That's why God invented Adderal XR. For eXtended Release.

Topic closed, pending confirmation of the user's name.
Jerod Poore - Owner, Founder and Chief Citizen Medical Expert of crazymeds.us
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

Wear my Straitjacket     Batshit Crazy Blog

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

#4 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• Chief Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,045 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, Epilepsy NOS, Autism, Agoraphobia/Social Anxiety
  • Current Meds:LTG 200mg, TPM 250mg, protriptyline 30mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 45mg EPA 600

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:09 AM

Topic re-opened now that the user name issue has been settled.

Pay attention to the user agreement people. No using the names of famous people unless that is your name as well. I'll be asking for proof if you insist that is really your name.
Jerod Poore - Owner, Founder and Chief Citizen Medical Expert of crazymeds.us
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

Wear my Straitjacket     Batshit Crazy Blog

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

#5 Paris

Paris

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression & ADD. Possibly Bi-Polar, Schizoaffective or something else as well.
  • Current Meds:Adderall, Cymbalta, Zonegran, Buspar, Seroquel, Thyrolar, Tenex, Klonopin & other PRNs.

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:27 AM

It is true that acidic foods will inhibit absorption of Adderall -- see this thread. Note that it prevents absorption, not that it makes you metabolize it faster.

The opposite is not true. Consuming alkaline foods with Adderall will have no effect. Adderall itself is alkaline. Adding other bases will do nothing.

OK, I got confused by the Wikipedia entry-it says that about antacids & Adderall.

#6 Paris

Paris

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:34 AM

Unfortuntely my insurance will not cover the XR version, only generic Adderall-the mixed amphetamine salts.
Also, isn't Adderall XR not really XR, right? I mean it doesn't work like a lot of other XR meds-it basically releases 1/2 the med right away, then the other half 4 hours later. So, from what I understand it's not any different than taking a dose, then waiting 4 hours & taking the other dose, is that correct?

Edited by Paris, 14 October 2008 - 02:35 AM.

#7 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,428 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 400, CLZ 2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.5-1

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:20 AM

Unfortuntely my insurance will not cover the XR version, only generic Adderall-the mixed amphetamine salts.
Also, isn't Adderall XR not really XR, right? I mean it doesn't work like a lot of other XR meds-it basically releases 1/2 the med right away, then the other half 4 hours later. So, from what I understand it's not any different than taking a dose, then waiting 4 hours & taking the other dose, is that correct?

Yes and No.

Via RxList:

The time to reach maximum plasma concentration (Tmax) for ADDERALL XRŽ is about 7 hours, which is about 4 hours longer compared to ADDERALLŽ (immediate-release). This is consistent with the extended-release nature of the product.

Which does compare to taking immediate release Adderall once at 8 am and again at noon. (you can see a graph at RxList under Adderall XR, clinical pharmacology).

The difference is, the XR doesn't just "dump" half of the med in your system, wait 4 hours and dump some more; it slowly releases it over the entire time. This is why its curve is less jagged.

Dymphna

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#8 Paris

Paris

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:46 AM

Yes and No.

Via RxList:

The time to reach maximum plasma concentration (Tmax) for ADDERALL XRŽ is about 7 hours, which is about 4 hours longer compared to ADDERALLŽ (immediate-release). This is consistent with the extended-release nature of the product.

Which does compare to taking immediate release Adderall once at 8 am and again at noon. (you can see a graph at RxList under Adderall XR, clinical pharmacology).

The difference is, the XR doesn't just "dump" half of the med in your system, wait 4 hours and dump some more; it slowly releases it over the entire time. This is why its curve is less jagged.

Dymphna

Oh, ok, I guess I was given incorrect info-I was told that's what it does: dump half 1st,then 4 hrs. later dump the other half. Maybe I should shell out the extra $$$ and try it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$43. Or search the Amazon for your retail Nirvana.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions