Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Brain Changes From Mood And Psychotic Episodes

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bunnyrabbit

bunnyrabbit

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Diagnoses: Schizoaffective d/o, bipolar type
  • Current Meds:See signature

Posted 28 September 2008 - 05:51 PM

I know that mood episodes (manic, mixed, depressive) and psychotic episodes can cause various brain changes.

Does anyone know if these changes are permanent? Are these changes accumalitive? Is there a maxium amount of damage done no matter how many episodes a person has? Does it matter how long the mood and/or psychotic episode lasts?
Current Meds: Lithium Carbonate 900mg, Geodon 85-90mg, Artane 2.75mg, Klonopin 1-1.125mg, Adderral 20mg, Provigil 100mg, Prolixin .33mg.
Dosages are the daily total. Most meds are taken in smaller doses throughout the day.

Past meds: I've tried almost everything except MAOI's, half of the TCA's, Clozaril, Remeron and Serazone.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 notfred

notfred

Emergency Second Opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,203 posts
  • Diagnoses:check out signature
  • Current Meds:check out signature

Posted 28 September 2008 - 06:25 PM

I know that mood episodes (manic, mixed, depressive) and psychotic episodes can cause various brain changes.

Does anyone know if these changes are permanent? Are these changes accumulative? Is there a maximum amount of damage done no matter how many episodes a person has? Does it matter how long the mood and/or psychotic episode lasts?

Those are not questions that can be answered with surety, neuroscience is not there yet.

I suspect these chages can become chronic if the underlying illness is not treated. Prior to 1950's and treatment, historical evidence seems to indicate there was significant disability in the chronic MI patient.

I suspect they are accumulative if the cause is not removed or treated or enough time between episodes is allowed for, to rewire and regrow.

I have no opinion on a maximum amount of damage.

As to if the episode length matters, well gee, the episode/mood/whatever causes the "changes" so it follows less is better.

nf

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

Psyc Meds: Forfivo XL 450 mg (Wellbutrin XL), Abilify 15 mg, (Aripiprazole), Eszopiclone 6 mg (Lunesta), Vyvance 70 mg, (Dextroamphetamine) Levetiracetam 2,000 mg (Keppra), Propranolol ER 60 mg (Inderal)
PRN: Lorazepam 1-4 mg (Ativan), Alprazolam 1-2 mg (Xanax), Dextroamphetamine 10-40 mg (Dexedrine), Propranolol 20-40 mg (Inderal), Ondansetron 8 mg (Zofran)

Supps: Multi-vitamin/mineral, Vitamin D-3 2,000 IU, Omega-3-acid ethyl esters 4 g (Lovaza), Fish oil 1-4 g.

Dx: Depression, Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor

I also take allergy and diabetes + it's complications meds.

All doses are a daily total.

#3 notfred

notfred

Emergency Second Opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,203 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 07:36 PM

I believe there is sufficient evidence to prove actual loss of grey matter in depressed and schizophrenic patients.

I've read more than one study on this topic. Let me see if I can find them.

jook

ETA-

here's 2 of many-

http://ajp.psychiatr.../160/8/1516.pdf

http://www.scienceda...70720103036.htm

There is no doubt on that point. I was speaking about permanence.

nf

Edited by notfred, 28 September 2008 - 07:40 PM.

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

Psyc Meds: Forfivo XL 450 mg (Wellbutrin XL), Abilify 15 mg, (Aripiprazole), Eszopiclone 6 mg (Lunesta), Vyvance 70 mg, (Dextroamphetamine) Levetiracetam 2,000 mg (Keppra), Propranolol ER 60 mg (Inderal)
PRN: Lorazepam 1-4 mg (Ativan), Alprazolam 1-2 mg (Xanax), Dextroamphetamine 10-40 mg (Dexedrine), Propranolol 20-40 mg (Inderal), Ondansetron 8 mg (Zofran)

Supps: Multi-vitamin/mineral, Vitamin D-3 2,000 IU, Omega-3-acid ethyl esters 4 g (Lovaza), Fish oil 1-4 g.

#4 martasi2

martasi2

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 07:42 PM

There is much research into regrowth of neurons and the brain's ability to repair itself. It's known as plasticity. Some meds (such as Lithium) can aid brain repair; also estrogen has been shown to help produce new brain cells. Not sure about other hormones in this regard. Do an online search with the word "plasticity" and see what comes up (also plasticity+your disorder).

As posted elsewhere here, there's also research into glutamate and its function in brain health and cell destruction as well as meds that work on this chemical system.

Try not to worry about brain damage from episodes. Thinking about sustained cumulative brain damage is a huge stressor, and there's no easy way to find an answer. You could always go to a major medical center with some sort of ongoing brain imaging study if you wanted to go this route. Also can read:

"Mind, Stress & Emotions" by Gene Wallenstein, Ph.D. (pub. 2003) has some interesting info. in this area.

Edited by martasi2, 28 September 2008 - 07:54 PM.

#5 notfred

notfred

Emergency Second Opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,203 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 10:58 PM

Try not to worry about brain damage from episodes. Thinking about sustained cumulative brain damage is a huge stressor, and there's no easy way to find an answer.

One thing within our control is finding a treatment regimen that works and sticking with it. There is evidence that treatment will protect and grow parts of your neuroanatomy.

nf

#6 bunnyrabbit

bunnyrabbit

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:03 AM

Thank you all for your responses and information. You have gaiven me a lot to ponder.
Current Meds: Lithium Carbonate 900mg, Geodon 85-90mg, Artane 2.75mg, Klonopin 1-1.125mg, Adderral 20mg, Provigil 100mg, Prolixin .33mg.
Dosages are the daily total. Most meds are taken in smaller doses throughout the day.

Past meds: I've tried almost everything except MAOI's, half of the TCA's, Clozaril, Remeron and Serazone.

#7 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• Chief Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,078 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, Epilepsy NOS, Autism, Agoraphobia/Social Anxiety
  • Current Meds:LTG 200mg, TPM 250mg, protriptyline 40mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 45mg EPA 600

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:51 AM

There is no doubt on that point. I was speaking about permanence.

I would think damage would be permanent if left untreated.
And there are many studies proving the cellular growth benefits of lithium and some AEDs and some ADs.
Reversal is entirely possible with proper treatment.

Try not to worry about brain damage from episodes. Thinking about sustained cumulative brain damage is a huge stressor, and there's no easy way to find an answer.

One thing within our control is finding a treatment regimen that works and sticking with it. There is evidence that treatment will protect and grow parts of your neuroanatomy.

Those are the key elements, with mounting evidence in both rat and human studies involving epilepsy, bipolar disorder and schizophrenia that the damage from repeated episodes of seizures and/or extreme crazy (known as kindling) can be reversed.

They are also why anti-psychiatry groups and all of the factors that add to the stigma against medication are so harmful. One way or another untreated brain cooties kill.
Jerod Poore - Owner, Founder and Chief Citizen Medical Expert of crazymeds.us
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

Wear my Straitjacket     Batshit Crazy Blog

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

#8 bunnyrabbit

bunnyrabbit

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 02:28 PM

I think Lithium helps the brain. In 1993, I saw a neurologist for headaches. She ordered a CT scan. I remember that she remarked that I had a densly packed brain. I was very proud of this. I think now my then densly packed brain was because I had been on lithium for 1 1/2 years. I don't think the research had been published about Lithium and brain growth at the time. I am concerned about the long, untreated psychosis and if I will have residual psychosis for the rest of my life, or if lithium will help my brain heal.

#9 Lazarus Prime

Lazarus Prime

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:59 PM

Someone mentioned stress above. That is something to think about for sure, as stress releases cortisol and high amounts of cortisol can cause brain damage. So if you're in a very high-stress job, home environment, etc., you need to get that under control. It's #2 under getting your meds stable in my book. You can't really expect your brain to fully heal / recover if there's chaos making you crazy in an entirely different way :mad:

http://www.youramazi...stressbrain.htm

http://www.fi.edu/le...ain/stress.html

#10 bunnyrabbit

bunnyrabbit

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 09:29 AM

Thanks for the info. :mad:

#11 Lazarus Prime

Lazarus Prime

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:56 PM

Thanks for the info. :)

Yep! Anytime. Learning is good... it's the bazooka and submachine gun to use against the devils of confusion and helplessness :mad:

Edited by Sduibek, 22 February 2009 - 12:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog