Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Carbonated Drinks...

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 anxiousfrog

anxiousfrog

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Diagnoses:Migraines, GAD, Agitated Depression
  • Current Meds:Topamax, Wellbutrin XL, Effexor XR, Klonopin

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:29 AM

For me, every single carbonated beverage tastes like absolute garbage EXCEPT for Coca-Cola, that tastes just the same as always, and I love it. MmmMmmm.

Is anyone else like that? Everything tastes like crap except for one thing in particular? I think it's psychological, because I love coke so much. I gave up smoking, I can't give up my coke, too, hahaha.
Current Dx: Migraines (+ Tension headaches, chronic daily headaches, & hormonal migraines), Agitated Depression, GAD.
Current Meds: Topamax 50mg BID, Wellbutrin XL 300mg @am, Effexor XR 75mg @am, Klonopin .5-1g @bedtime
Past Meds: Buspar, Inderal, Nortriptyline, Sarafem, Paxil, Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 lostanddelirious

lostanddelirious

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Diagnoses:PTSD, Mood Disorder NOS, Epilepsy

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:44 AM

I think it could be the topamax. Given the fact that it is taken a lot to counteract weight gain from a few crazy meds, it makes sense.
Not sure, but the drug somehow sets off a certain chemical for your appetite to be curbed. When I was on it it made me look at food like it was nasty. So I might link that to sodas as well.
Hence the tendency to look at soda that same way as the food. One thing leads to another.
So you are both chemically and psychologically influenced by topamax.

Jerod and jook probably can expand on it way more than I can.
Current rx: Lamictal-500mg, Keppra-1500mg, Lithium-1200mg, Risperdal-1mg, Ativan-prn, Risperdal-prn, Geodon-20mg

Past rx: Tegretol, Dilantin, Depakote (15 yrs.), Zoloft, Abilify (3 trials), Celexa, Geodon, Topamax, Seroquel, Cogentin

#3 In_Remission_neuroquest

In_Remission_neuroquest
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:08 PM

Try Seltzer. It's highly carbonated water you can mix with juice. The coolest are those Seltzer things with CO2 cartriges. You can use them to carbonate juice. Screw corn syrup - it's bad for you.

#4 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,471 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 500, CLZ 1.5-2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.25-.5

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:08 PM

The search function is your friend, really.

And there are other moderators here as well.

Topamax is partially a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor. As such, it makes carbonated beverages taste flat. For that matter, it will alter the taste of all sorts of things, you just haven't stumbled upon them yet.

It isn't in your brain (actually, it is, but it isn't psychological), it is on your taste buds. The messaging from your taste buds to the appropriate "taste sensors" in your brain is altered by a CAI.

Be happy it is happening: it means that, on at least some level, the Topamax is working as it is supposed to. eg: at least the CAI portion is working - there is another part to the drug that may or may not be your brain's cup of tea. If everything suddenly tastes fizzy some day, you should probably call your doctor.

As to the Coke: take a sip and really think about what you're tasting. You're probably not tasting fizz from it if you can't taste fizz from anything else. You're probably feeling the sensation of bubbles on your tongue. It's a subtle difference.

Dymphna

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#5 anxiousfrog

anxiousfrog

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Diagnoses:Migraines, GAD, Agitated Depression
  • Current Meds:Topamax, Wellbutrin XL, Effexor XR, Klonopin

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:50 PM

The search function is your friend, really.

I have read Jerod's page on Topamax, and know that soda tastes like crap to most people. I've also seen it in the handout they give at the pharmacy, and know that every other soda I try is absolutely nasty as hell. I didn't word my original post well at all, and I need to apologize for that. My brain is on vacation. My intelligence level is plummeting. I feel really, really, really dumb lately. I think the combo of Effexor and Topamax should qualify someone for like...I don't know, at least a T-shit that says "Be Nice to Me, I'm Medicated"

As to the Coke: take a sip and really think about what you're tasting. You're probably not tasting fizz from it if you can't taste fizz from anything else. You're probably feeling the sensation of bubbles on your tongue. It's a subtle difference.

Coke probably just tastes exactly the same to me because I need it to. Like I said, I gave up smoking, I also gave up drinking alcohol, I can't give up my coke, too! :mad:
Current Dx: Migraines (+ Tension headaches, chronic daily headaches, & hormonal migraines), Agitated Depression, GAD.
Current Meds: Topamax 50mg BID, Wellbutrin XL 300mg @am, Effexor XR 75mg @am, Klonopin .5-1g @bedtime
Past Meds: Buspar, Inderal, Nortriptyline, Sarafem, Paxil, Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro

#6 Bobby_R

Bobby_R

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Diagnoses:see signature
  • Current Meds:see signature

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:07 PM

Coke probably just tastes exactly the same to me because I need it to. Like I said, I gave up smoking, I also gave up drinking alcohol, I can't give up my coke, too! :mad:

I commend thee for making a wise choice between the least of three evils. You shall thereby earn the right to live longer with your illness. I beseech thee, do submit to impart some portion of the wisdom you gain forthwith for use by the rest of us fellow inmates :)
Diagnosis: Dysthymic depression w/recurrent MDD; GAD w/panic features; ADD
Daily meds: Strattera 60mg, tapering off Lexapro 20mg to Celexa, Trileptal 450mg, Synthroid 100mcg, Lopid 600mgBID, Trazodone 50mg nightly, Metoclopramide 10 mg Ativan PRN

#7 diagnosed

diagnosed

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:31 PM

luckily i never had the soda problem when on topamax
dx::::PTSD::Bpd Nos
rx:::Carbamazepine 400TID::Risperidone 2mg::Gabapentin 800Qid::Dothiepin HCI 150:

#8 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,471 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:20 PM

luckily i never had the soda problem when on topamax

And did it work for your symptoms?

Dymphna

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#9 diagnosed

diagnosed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:54 AM

it worked on some yes, but i had to stop it due to severe cognitive impairment

of all the aad's i must say, topamax was the most effective
rx:::Carbamazepine 400TID::Risperidone 2mg::Gabapentin 800Qid::Dothiepin HCI 150:

#10 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:07 AM

That's one more thing for my mental file, then.

I have never had cognitive impairment from Topamax, even at 450mg. And I'm now also on a pure CAI, Diamox, at 1500mg (it is about 10x stronger than the CAI portion of Topamax) and have no impairment from it, either.

Soda has tasted like ass the entire time I've been on Topamax, except when I was due for a dose increase.

D

ETA: I did have the "holy crap, my brain has been turned upside down" thing when I started Diamox, but it wasn't cognitive impairment so much as "brain starting new drug, re-modeling is occurring". And it passed as soon as I got up to dose and my body stopped freaking out about being on a new drug.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#11 lostanddelirious

lostanddelirious

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Diagnoses:PTSD, Mood Disorder NOS, Epilepsy

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:43 AM

"ETA: I did have the "holy crap, my brain has been turned upside down" thing when I started Diamox, but it wasn't cognitive impairment so much as "brain starting new drug, re-modeling is occurring". And it passed as soon as I got up to dose and my body stopped freaking out about being on a new drug." -dymphna

I think the same thing. With some drugs you just have to put up with the "stupid" phase if the med is worth it.
Current rx: Lamictal-500mg, Keppra-1500mg, Lithium-1200mg, Risperdal-1mg, Ativan-prn, Risperdal-prn, Geodon-20mg

Past rx: Tegretol, Dilantin, Depakote (15 yrs.), Zoloft, Abilify (3 trials), Celexa, Geodon, Topamax, Seroquel, Cogentin

#12 Deep Sea Philosopher

Deep Sea Philosopher

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:12 PM

Dymphna - your infamous soda test..

Is that the baseline for the minimum effective Dopamax dosage, or for the optimum Dopamax dosage?

As for the Stupamax test.. just talk to my Business Calc and Spanish Profs because as Jerod puts it.. "Memory loss, aphasia (weird words coming out in place of what you meant to say or write), word find problems (not being able to recall the names of people, things or concepts)" ...... ya.
My Kind of Crazy: Schizoaffective Disorder of the Bipolar Type

Meds: 30mg Dexedrine Spansule .. 200mg Lamictal .. 80mg Latuda .. 600mg Neurontin .. 200mg Ultram ER

Some people say the grass is always greener on the other side.
I say be the gardener. Water it. Feed it. Make your own grass grow.
I make the grass greener wherever I am. I'm the gardener.

#13 diagnosed

diagnosed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:05 PM

I have never had cognitive impairment from Topamax, even at 450mg. And I'm now also on a pure CAI, Diamox, at 1500mg (it is about 10x stronger than the CAI portion of Topamax) and have no impairment from it, either.

Soda has tasted like ass the entire time I've been on Topamax, except when I was due for a dose increase.

D

ETA: I did have the "holy crap, my brain has been turned upside down" thing when I started Diamox, but it wasn't cognitive impairment so much as "brain starting new drug, re-modeling is occurring". And it passed as soon as I got up to dose and my body stopped freaking out about being on a new drug.

you are lucky
i felt like a complete idiot the entire time
only on 600mg

#14 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:21 PM

My theory (and it is a theory) is that, since Topamax works through a combination of a weak CAI and "a bunch of neuro stuff no one understands" -- (seriously! Try asking a neurologist what that other stuff does. You'll get a deer in headlights look, and sometimes some mumbling about calcium channels) -- is that, if a person does not even respond to the baseline "soda tastes like ass" component, the likelihood they will respond to the OTHER, major part is unlikely. The drug does its work because of the interaction of the two parts.

Further, since Topamax is a drug designed to fix cooties of temporal lobe origin, it fits that, when given to people with symptoms of temporal lobe dysfunction, the side effects (including mass stupidity) are minimal or fleeting. When given to people without TL issues, the side effects can be severe and may not leave.

I think that, as anti-convulsants have come into use in psychiatry, many people have forgotten that they are anti-convulsants first and foremost. They were designed to hit certain parts of the brain and do certain things (in this case, stop a partial seizure). That some of them have been found to do other things as well, and those things fall into psychiatry's realm, is just good luck for everyone (including the manufacturer). CAIs are great to make you stop drinking, for example. Topamax is being pushed because it is on patent and therefore people are researching it. Diamox is an off patent pure CAI that costs like 12 cents and does a better job in the no drinks dept. But there's no research.

I'm just saying...

Dymphna

(who is rambling)

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#15 diagnosed

diagnosed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 12:24 AM

i forgot to add=i stopped smoking on topamax.
seriously, i couldnt even stop with the help of zyban.
so, in my books a thumbs up

#16 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• Chief Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,078 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, Epilepsy NOS, Autism, Agoraphobia/Social Anxiety
  • Current Meds:LTG 200mg, TPM 250mg, protriptyline 40mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 45mg EPA 600

Posted 18 September 2008 - 11:18 AM

I've always been able to drink all the fizzy drinks I wanted to while taking Topamax. The CAI part is irrelevant to me.

Topamax is the second-most broad-spectrum anticonvulsant on the US market. Only Zonegran does more. CAIs are helpful for only small segments of the epilepsy, migraine and misc. brain cooties populations.
Jerod Poore - Owner, Founder and Chief Citizen Medical Expert of crazymeds.us
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

Wear my Straitjacket     Batshit Crazy Blog

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

#17 Mrs. Singer

Mrs. Singer

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Diagnoses:migraines/headaches
  • Current Meds:Topamax 100mg, Lexapro 10mg

Posted 17 October 2008 - 01:25 PM

I haven't had any problems so far with soda. However, I had to give up caffeine because of my migraines. Before I used to drink Coke, Pepsi, and Dr. Pepper. Now, I've switched to Sprite and 7-up and they taste fine to me.

Potato chips taste really weird though.

#18 Mrs. Singer

Mrs. Singer

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Diagnoses:migraines/headaches
  • Current Meds:Topamax 100mg, Lexapro 10mg

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:42 PM

Nevermind. As of monday, soda tastes like crap. Potato chips also still taste like crap.

Snapple Apple is pretty damn good though. :mad:

#19 Chamanka

Chamanka

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Diagnoses:schizoaffective (bipolar type), Borderline Personality Disorder, Alcoholism, Bulimia
  • Current Meds:Zyprexa, Haldol, Prozac, Tegretol, Topamax and a lot of benzos

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:09 AM

Does soda tasting crap means that topamax is working cos I tried 400mg one night and soda tasted crap, but on my normal 200 dose it tastes fine. Does this mean I should be on 400mg for optimal effect?

#20 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:34 AM

Does soda tasting crap means that topamax is working cos I tried 400mg one night and soda tasted crap, but on my normal 200 dose it tastes fine. Does this mean I should be on 400mg for optimal effect?

Not necessarily. I am not an actual pharmaceutical researcher, I'm a wonk with a lot of experience on Topamax who actively reads about other people's experiences.

As Jerod wrote above, he has always been able to taste carbonation, and his Topamax definitely has an effect (positive) at his current dose. For me, personally, I lost efficacy each time carbonation "broke through" my (then) current dosing.

On the flip side, I was on Topamax for 8 years. For the first 4 or so, it was the magic drug. The last 4 went from "eh" to nasty-ass lightning bolt zap head side effects. How do I know this? Because when I came off of it, that nasty lightning bolt went away (but the horrific migraines came back). Oh, and alcoholic drinks tasted good again (they had tasted like ass). Weird-ass drug.

Dymphna

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#21 mickmax

mickmax

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 177 posts
  • Diagnoses:clinical depression, GAD

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:47 AM

I'm on 150mg and the carbonated crap taste went away after about 3 months for me. Everything tastes fine now.
Deby

current meds: Trileptal 300mg, Topomax 300mg, amilitryptiline 10mg, welbutrin 300mg, klonopin .5 prn

#22 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,078 posts
  • Current Meds:LTG 200mg, TPM 250mg, protriptyline 40mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 45mg EPA 600

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:29 PM

The optimal dosage for any medication is the dosage at which said medication works.

The "soda test" is only for people where Topamax's action as a Carbonic Anhydrase Inhibitor (CAI) has something to do with Topamax doing its thing for their brain cooties. For most people a CAI doesn't do much good for epilepsy, bipolar disorder, migraines, what have you.

Topamax is a mild-to-moderate CAI and it's still up in the air as to what, if any effect that has on various conditions. Drugs that are nothing but CAIs are usually prescribed to treat glaucoma and altitude sickness, and are thrown at epilepsy when nothing else seems to be working. Being a CAI is probably responsible for the rare metabolic acidosis side effect.
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

#23 Chamanka

Chamanka

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Diagnoses:schizoaffective (bipolar type), Borderline Personality Disorder, Alcoholism, Bulimia
  • Current Meds:Zyprexa, Haldol, Prozac, Tegretol, Topamax and a lot of benzos

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:24 AM

Would being a CAI work for impulse control disorders such as alcoholism and bulimia? I am taking topamax for severe bulimia. I am schizoaffective but that's incidental, I'm taking tegretol for that. Soda tastes quite sour but hasn't lost the carbonation. When I took 400mg it went completely sour and lost all carbonation. Since, as dymphna helpfully pointed out, tegretol reduces topamax plasma concetration by 40 percent, should I be looking for a higher dose?

thanks for all your help

#24 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:41 PM

Would being a CAI work for impulse control disorders such as alcoholism and bulimia? I am taking topamax for severe bulimia.

File that one under who knows. Topamax is broad-spectrum, so it could be anything.

Since, as dymphna helpfully pointed out, tegretol reduces topamax plasma concetration by 40 percent, should I be looking for a higher dose?

Only if the lower dosage isn't working.

#25 In_Remission_hoops

In_Remission_hoops
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:36 PM

I started last week (in the evening) on 25 mg of TopaMax, my neuro didn't inform me of any of the side effects other than tingling in the hands and feet. Well in the morning, first thing I took my 2nd dose, got dressed, grabbed my usual diet coke, jumped in the car and headed off to work; took a huge gulp and almost spit it out on the windshield. It tasted like thick flat Benadryl....it was horribly offending.

PS: on TopaMax for severe migraines; combined with MigraTen

#26 In_Remission_normalpeoplescareme

In_Remission_normalpeoplescareme
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:22 PM

All carbonated drinks tasted horrid from the very start, and I almost gave up beer and soda but continued to try them and now the taste works for me again. I don't know if the flavor and sensation is back to normal, or if I've just learned to appreciate the way it tastes to me (gotten used to it) and it really still tastes different than before, but stick with it cause I think drinking the fizzy drinks eventually works out in the end. I've been on it for one full year. It didn't take that long to be able to enjoy beer and soda again.

#27 arcady59

arcady59

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, Major Depressive Disorder, Panic Disorder, GAD
  • Current Meds:Remeron 45mg, Lamictal 200mg, Wellbutrin SR 150mg, Klonopin 1mg 3 times daily

Posted 26 October 2010 - 03:13 AM

I started Topamax a few weeks ago and I cannot believe how it changed the way sodas tasted so much. I drank soda like coffee addicts drink coffee; now my beloved Coke Zero and Diet Dr Pepper taste pretty bad. I still end up drinking one or 2 a day out of habit, but it is mostly water or iced tea now, or those individual drink powder packets. I hope the taste comes back, it seems like some of you all have had luck with it.
À la recherche du temps perdu -Proust

#28 In_Remission_JosieM

In_Remission_JosieM
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:27 AM

I was the same way with the carbonated drinks - tasted metallic and just plain awful for a long time, gave them up, then suddenly got a craving and it didn't taste half bad. I thought I had just blocked it out mentally - interesting to hear that maybe it isn't just between my ears. Pdoc still says I should give it up, and I do feel lousy when I go on a diet soda binge, but that's probably the NutraSweet - it's the only low-cal sweetener that doesn't make me gag and of course, it's the worst for you...

#29 In_Remission_Mr. Brownstone

In_Remission_Mr. Brownstone
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:12 AM

My theory (and it is a theory) is that, since Topamax works through a combination of a weak CAI and "a bunch of neuro stuff no one understands" -- (seriously! Try asking a neurologist what that other stuff does. You'll get a deer in headlights look, and sometimes some mumbling about calcium channels) -- is that, if a person does not even respond to the baseline "soda tastes like ass" component, the likelihood they will respond to the OTHER, major part is unlikely. The drug does its work because of the interaction of the two parts.

Further, since Topamax is a drug designed to fix cooties of temporal lobe origin, it fits that, when given to people with symptoms of temporal lobe dysfunction, the side effects (including mass stupidity) are minimal or fleeting. When given to people without TL issues, the side effects can be severe and may not leave.

I think that, as anti-convulsants have come into use in psychiatry, many people have forgotten that they are anti-convulsants first and foremost. They were designed to hit certain parts of the brain and do certain things (in this case, stop a partial seizure). That some of them have been found to do other things as well, and those things fall into psychiatry's realm, is just good luck for everyone (including the manufacturer). CAIs are great to make you stop drinking, for example. Topamax is being pushed because it is on patent and therefore people are researching it. Diamox is an off patent pure CAI that costs like 12 cents and does a better job in the no drinks dept. But there's no research.

I'm just saying...

Dymphna

(who is rambling)

First post here. I was diagnosed with Temporal Lobe Epilepsy in October of last year. Your theory is quite solid based on the neurologists and patients I've spoken to. Those with TLE or other Temporal Lobe specific issues don't seem to have, or have less signifigant versions of, the cognative side affects of Toprimate/Topamax. This is all anecdotal of course, but first hand.

I'm on 200mg a dose of generic Topamax, twice a day. I experience the typical change in carbonation flavor, however it's not disgusting. Just tastes flat. I've not noticed any cognative impairment. If anything, now that the seizures are more controlled, I'm more clear than ever. As an added benefit, my body pains have nearly dissapeared. It's been a miracle drug for me.

I did buy one of those carbonation injector devices, since I'm addicted to the fizz. It's a really great alternative. I figured with the weight loss side affect potential, now was the time. Take advantage of it. Caffine can lower seizure threshold and trigger migraines.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog