Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Batshit Crazy mug
Batshit Crazy

Prozac And Coffee

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_goneforever87

In_Remission_goneforever87
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2008 - 12:15 PM

since taking prozac 20mg coffee has a different affect on me,i'm constantly wanting coffee and have at least 5 cups a day,anyone else on SSRI's have this happen to them?It pretty much makes me feel like i'm on coke or something lol,it's probly all in my head.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Batshit Crazy buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Batshit Crazy
Medicated For Your Protection buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 In_Remission_goneforever87

• Guests

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:51 PM

Hello anyone there??????

#3 sorrel

sorrel

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Diagnoses: Bipolar I
  • Current Meds: lithium 1800mg (1 mmol/L)

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:03 AM

There is no reason that I know of that Prozac would cause you to crave coffee.
It's terrible, Bob, to think that all I've suffered, and all the suffering I've caused, might have arisen from the lack of a little salt in my brain.

--Poet Robert Lowell, to publisher Bob Giroux, about lithium

#4 Brainbeard

Brainbeard

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Diagnoses:OCD, non-Asperger, a bit of schizo-affective disorder, hypochondria, depression.
  • Current Meds:Check signature.

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:24 AM

since taking prozac 20mg coffee has a different affect on me,i'm constantly wanting coffee and have at least 5 cups a day,anyone else on SSRI's have this happen to them?It pretty much makes me feel like i'm on coke or something lol,it's probly all in my head.

Prozac raises dopamine and noradrenaline levels in several parts of the brain (probably indirectly, by stimulating 5HT2A receptors), while caffeine also has a dopaminergic and noradrenergic effect. So the two are likely to synergistically potentiate each other. Since dopaminergic action tends to feel (very) nice, this is probably the reason for your coffee craving.

Edited by Brainbeard, 13 September 2008 - 03:26 AM.

Current meds: Zoloft (sertraline) 250mg, Neurontin (gabapentin) 2400mg or more, Concerta (methylphenidate XR) 18mg + methylphenidate 5mg as needed, 1 Deanxit (flupentixol 0,5mg + melitracene 10mg).
Have used before: alprazolam, oxazepam, clonazepam, diazepam, buprenorphine, amitriptyline, modafinil, fluoxetine (Prozac), imipramine, trimipramine, lorazepam (Ativan), flurazepam, amisulpride, piribedil, ziprasidone (Geodon), buspirone, tramadol, ondansetron, risperidone, tianeptine, amineptine, nortriptyline, codeine, paroxetine (Paxil/Seroxat).
-Some of the magic syrup was preserved.

#5 In_Remission_goneforever87

• Guests

Posted 13 September 2008 - 07:29 PM

thanx for the replies,the prozac doesnt make me tired it actually gives me more energy,i've always been a coffee drinker but never really craved it every day.

#6 Brainbeard

Brainbeard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Diagnoses:OCD, non-Asperger, a bit of schizo-affective disorder, hypochondria, depression.

Posted 14 September 2008 - 12:45 AM

the prozac doesnt make me tired it actually gives me more energy

Like I said, man, Prozac isn't just an SSRI, it's a stimulant. It's not an SSRI at all, since its selectivity is a laugh.

Prozac and caffeine boost each other up and you like the buzz.
Current meds: Zoloft (sertraline) 250mg, Neurontin (gabapentin) 2400mg or more, Concerta (methylphenidate XR) 18mg + methylphenidate 5mg as needed, 1 Deanxit (flupentixol 0,5mg + melitracene 10mg).
Have used before: alprazolam, oxazepam, clonazepam, diazepam, buprenorphine, amitriptyline, modafinil, fluoxetine (Prozac), imipramine, trimipramine, lorazepam (Ativan), flurazepam, amisulpride, piribedil, ziprasidone (Geodon), buspirone, tramadol, ondansetron, risperidone, tianeptine, amineptine, nortriptyline, codeine, paroxetine (Paxil/Seroxat).

#7 In_Remission_goneforever87

• Guests

Posted 14 September 2008 - 01:14 PM

Ok i see now,makes sense,thanks guys. :mad:

#8 Brainbeard

Brainbeard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:11 AM

Caffiene actually blocks A2 receptors.
http://biopsychiatry.com/caffeine.html

jook

Dude, the pharmacodynamics of caffeine are so complex that saying that it blocks A2 receptors in itself isn't really saying much. See the mechanism of action-part of Wikipedia's excellent caffeine article . A fragment:

In low and moderate doses, caffeine appears to increase dopamine and acetylcholine release in the prefrontal cortex (PFC) (providing a mechanism for reinforcment) and stimulates the caudate nucleus, increasing wakefulness & locomotor activity. Sustained caffeine usage causes tolerance to the (prefrontal cortical) dopamine-mediated effects and hence the locomotor stimulation, but not to its cholinergic effects in the PFC, which could account for its capability for sustained arousal even in the caffeine-tolerant. Caffeine also increases levels of epinephrine/adrenaline, possibly via a different mechanism, as well as glucose, insulin, and C-peptide levels. Acute usage of caffeine also increases levels of serotonin, causing positive changes in mood.

Edited by Brainbeard, 15 September 2008 - 01:12 AM.

#9 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,420 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 400, CLZ 2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.5-1

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:41 AM

thanx for the replies,the prozac doesnt make me tired it actually gives me more energy,i've always been a coffee drinker but never really craved it every day.

It sounds like a simple case of self-medication.

Something in the coffee is blunting the Prozac's zoomy effects, otherwise you wouldn't be craving it. Kind of like a bipolar craving alcohol to blunt the effects of mania. It isn't conscious, it's instinctual.

Considering that stimulants are used to calm down people with ADHD, this isn't that far fetched of a concept.

Just make sure you keep drinking water so your kidneys don't hate you.

Dymphna

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#10 diagnosed

diagnosed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Current Meds:see signature

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:16 AM

since taking prozac 20mg coffee has a different affect on me,i'm constantly wanting coffee and have at least 5 cups a day

neurontin does the same to me-but i go for about 12 cups a day, and yes , its like self medication
dx::::PTSD::Bpd Nos
rx:::Carbamazepine 400TID::Risperidone 2mg::Gabapentin 800Qid::Dothiepin HCI 150:

#11 Brainbeard

Brainbeard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:13 AM

Bears eat berries in the forest of a state of a country on a continent on the planet which spins over 1000 mph in a universe so vast it seems (and may be) endless.

Needless to say, bears still eat berries.

jook

But what were you saying? That bears eat berries or that the planet spins over 1000 mph?

Caffeine raises dopamine levels, but apparently this effect wanes with frequent use. So for habitual coffee drinkers it's pumping up the noradrenaline system that matters. This still means that Prozac and caffeine reinforce each other's stimulant effect, since Prozac raises noradrenaline levels.

Blablabla.

Bears eat berries. Or something like that. On a continent.

#12 Brainbeard

Brainbeard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:17 AM

But what were you saying?

This is what I'm saying.

jook

Jook, I'm losing you. I said that caffeine is a dopaminergic and noradrenergic drug. You reacted by saying that caffeine 'actually blocks A2 receptors', suggesting I was wrong. You included a link to an article that discusses how caffeine is a dopaminergic drug.. Which was my point. In the article, it is said that caffeine's psychostimulant properties are mediated by its capability to block adenosine A1, not A2 receptors. I didn't say nothing about adenosine, so what did you mean by saying that caffeine 'actually' blocks adenosine receptors?

Now you give me a link to an abstract of which I really can't see what it has to do with caffeine. Are you trying to say that caffeine's noradrenergic effect isn't an immediate but a mediated one? So what? Then the bear still eats the berry, doesn't he?

Edited by Brainbeard, 17 September 2008 - 07:18 AM.

#13 Brainbeard

Brainbeard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:53 AM

Seems to make sense.

I'm a bit lazy though, so I like a bit of oversimplification every now and then.

And glutamate hasn't managed yet to attract my obsessive interests.

#14 Brainbeard

Brainbeard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:01 AM

Interesting stuff. What do we really know anyway?

Nice chatting.

Absolutely. No wounds. Just some scratches. :mad:

#15 KarenRB53

KarenRB53

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, GAD,
  • Current Meds:Celexa, Ativan,

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:52 PM

the prozac doesnt make me tired it actually gives me more energy

Like I said, man, Prozac isn't just an SSRI, it's a stimulant. It's not an SSRI at all, since its selectivity is a laugh.

Prozac and caffeine boost each other up and you like the buzz.

Very interesting post!! In really simple terms I guess this is why I feel so jittery after I have my 2 cups of coffee in the morning after I take my Prozac! I hate it, because I really love my coffee. I even tried decaf but it still makes me hyper.

Karen

#16 mia

mia

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Diagnoses:Major Depressive Disorder, OCD, ED, Self Harm
  • Current Meds:Luvox 250mg, Ritalin 20mg.

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:07 PM

gosh i wish i had had that problem when i was on prozac. coffee was one of the things prozac made taste like ass. i went from drinking 5-6 cups a day to not even being able to stand the smell.

Previous meds: 80mg Prozac, 20mg Endep, Valium & Zyprexa prn, Edronax 8mg, Inderal 10mg.

Current meds: 250mg Luvox, 30mg Ritalin, Valium prn.

#17 In_Remission_Veronica

In_Remission_Veronica
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:03 PM

No. No it's definitely not in your head.
I crave coffee too... except, when I drink it...
It severely BOOSTS my mood up, then I get cranky, angry, groggy, and tired. :l
And I usually want to fight something, or severely harm myself.
This is my first time ever being on Fluoxetine...

20mg. For PMDD, and severe depression after loosing my mother.
:l I worry that the coffee will be my downfall. :/

#18 Jubes_1975

Jubes_1975

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:depression
  • Current Meds:just started prozac again

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:48 PM

This is my experience with prozac and coffee:
Age 13 on prozac
Age 14 drank a cup of coffee (stimulant) here and there
Age 16 off prozac
Age 17 started drinking a shit load of coffee
Age 17 1/2 on prozac
Age 18 stopped drinking so much coffee and drinking way more alcohol (depressant)
Age 19 Fell in love, stopped drinking so much alcohol and coffee
Age 20 Went OFF the prozac, started drinking tons of coffee and tons of alcohol
Age 21 got a 2 week sample from the doc and mixed it with my coffee in the
morning, snorted it a time or two (call me stupid if you like). Was not enough room
in the appt books at the doc to continue the prescription at the time, felt great, fell off.
Age 22 I've started taking prozac again, and I'm expecting different results.

Therefore, if you are addicted or become addicted to anything, when you take prozac, you
will crave the addictive substances when you are off of it because you brain has made a connection
between the substances and happiness.

Also, if you have been fed anti-depressants as a kid, you are addicted to them. Addiction is addiction,
which can be overcome, without the replacement of another addiction.

Thirdly, if you stop taking prozac abruptly you can fall into EITHER an upward or downward spiral, if you
are addicted to stimulants you will go up WAAAY UP and then down, but if you are addicted to alcohol you
will go down and unfortunately you will recycle the exact thing you may be trying to get rid of. I've come to
accept the fact that I may or may not have to take prozac for the rest of my life. I cannot control the ups
and downs, on that note, no one is alike each other especially when is comes to history and brain chem.

Edited by Jubes_1975, 22 September 2012 - 02:53 PM.

#19 pdv

pdv

Would-be Neurologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar schizoaffective; self diagnosis-paranoid pd, negative megalomania
  • Current Meds:Wellbutrin - 450 mg, Lamictal, Olanzapine

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:37 AM

Actually, that makes sense now. I've been drinking coffee crazily but I never connected that fact with Prozac. Maybe fluoxetine does cause more caffeine intake.

#20 robertmac71

robertmac71

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:chronice pain, depression, bi-polar
  • Current Meds:Nuerontin, Toprol, Lisinopril/HCTZ, Prozac

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:26 AM

I'm an old dude, 42 now, and just started back on prozac a week ago. It seems to be pretty effective for treating my depression. I was also a huge coffee drinker until I had a crazy rapid heart rate issue that landed me in the ER twice in 4 days so I'm not supposed to have coffee or any caffeine for that matter, but have still be sneaking it in very small doses like less than one cup in the morning. I think in general if you are depressive your brain likes stimulants and coffee and prozac are definitely stimulants. Everyone likes having energy and feeling more alert and awake (well almost everyone). Being a recovering drug and alcohol addict my last addiction was coffee so being directed by my physician not to drink it after my very dangerous heart episode was a near death sentence to my morning routine and enjoyment. Decaf just doesn't seem to cut it and doesn't come in nearly as many delectable flavors as regular caffeinated java. Anyway, I think moderation is the key so keep drinking coffee. Just don't drink 50 cups per day. 2 or 3 cups in the morning only should probably be your maximum. Peace.

#21 A Smith

A Smith

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:33 AM

I have experienced a coffee craving since starting Prozac. I have far more than 5 cups a day though

#22 Rebel

Rebel

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts
  • Diagnoses:BPI + psychotic features, past ptsd
  • Current Meds:Perphenazine, cogentin, lamotrigine, citalopram, Remeron, trazadone, vistiril and sunshine

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:24 PM

You are so not alone on this. First off Prozac made me manic (more manic since I was already manic), second off I know exactly what you mean when you say you feel like a coke high when you mix the two. I do not endorse drug use but a few weeks ago I bought cocaine in order to see if it wasn't all in my head but yes prozac made me feel like I had did cocaine an hour ago and mixed with caffeine it was a very strong combination of uppers. 

I miss prozac, it's the only AD that worked to kill my depression but it was just another stimulant causing me to be high as a kite 24/7 so when I ended up inpatient due to severe mania they took me off prozac. Now I take celexa (booo!) I'm not sure if it does anything at all. With prozac it was clear to me that I was feeling it's effects. Coffee and prozac got me through some really boring days at work. 

la la la , la la la la

Haldow (5days), Risperdal, Thorazine, Wellbutrin, Carbamazepin, Depakote, Lamotrigine, Buspar, Xanax (never again),  Prozac, Paxil, Remeron, zoloft, mirtazapine, trazadone, vistiril (as a PRN)    

#23 martasi2

martasi2

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:09 PM

You are so not alone on this. First off Prozac made me manic (more manic since I was already manic), second off I know exactly what you mean when you say you feel like a coke high when you mix the two. I do not endorse drug use but a few weeks ago I bought cocaine in order to see if it wasn't all in my head but yes prozac made me feel like I had did cocaine an hour ago and mixed with caffeine it was a very strong combination of uppers. 

Rebel,

I'm suspending your posting privileges for a few days. Please don't post this kind of stuff again. It's a violation of the User Agreement. I know you're working on stability, and we've given you a lot of room to express yourself. When you come back, try and stick to the rules. Don't wreck the topic for other posters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$43. Or search the Amazon for your retail Nirvana.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions