Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting mugs
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection mugs
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar mugs
I <3 Wellbutrin mug
I <3 Wellbutrin mugs

Can Ritalin Make You Tired?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_ellethekitty

In_Remission_ellethekitty
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:12 AM

HI there. Ive just started taking ritalin with my effexor, because I am prone to hypersomina (oversleeping). So far I am sleeping more. I read somewhere that if ritalin makes you tired then it means you DO have ADD and it is working. My shrink thinks that I am imagining it.
Anyone have any input?
Thanks

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons
Batshit Crazy buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Batshit Crazy buttons
Medicated For Your Protection buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Medicated For Your Protection buttons
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons

#2 In_Remission_momma J

In_Remission_momma J
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2008 - 01:17 PM

My doctor told me that very thing when she first put me on Ritalin - that if I had ADD it would make me tired, and it does knock me out on occasion. I take 20 mg around eleven o'clock and usually make time to take a nap for 20 minutes or so. Ritalin also makes me less anxious, go figure. Strange thing is, that if I'm in social situation after I take it, I'm more talkative. If I'm alone, I get terribly sleepy, like sleeping pill. I take a nap and when I wake up, I'm refreshed and alert. I hate the come-down and also take Buspar, 10mg morning and night. The buspar makes the ritalin smoother and works for me.

good luck!

#3 sorrel

sorrel

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Diagnoses: Bipolar I
  • Current Meds: lithium 1800mg (1 mmol/L)

Posted 30 August 2008 - 03:44 PM

The idea that those with ADD respond to stimulants differently from others is essentially a myth. Stimulants improve focus and concentration in everyone, and don't cause fatigue/sleepiness in anyone unless (maybe, although I am not aware of this) it's some bizarre, rare paradoxical thing. Sometimes someone with severe ADD may find they sleep better on stimulants -- this is not some kind of sedative effect of the stimulant, but the fact that they were so distracted/scattered before that it was interfering with their sleep.
It's terrible, Bob, to think that all I've suffered, and all the suffering I've caused, might have arisen from the lack of a little salt in my brain.

--Poet Robert Lowell, to publisher Bob Giroux, about lithium

#4 In_Remission_ellethekitty

In_Remission_ellethekitty
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2008 - 03:54 PM

The idea that those with ADD respond to stimulants differently from others is essentially a myth. Stimulants improve focus and concentration in everyone, and don't cause fatigue/sleepiness in anyone unless (maybe, although I am not aware of this) it's some bizarre, rare paradoxical thing. Sometimes someone with severe ADD may find they sleep better on stimulants -- this is not some kind of sedative effect of the stimulant, but the fact that they were so distracted/scattered before that it was interfering with their sleep.

Well, I slept the whole day. Almost 20 hours. I feel horrible.
I can feel the stimulant effect in my heart, but my brain says nap time. I wonder what thats all about.

Edited by ellethekitty, 30 August 2008 - 03:55 PM.

#5 dash

dash

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression, Anxiety, ADD
  • Current Meds:Wellbutrin SR and Ritalin

Posted 16 October 2008 - 02:34 PM

First of all, sorry for bumping an old thread.

But, could this tiredness be the result of something like overstimulation (if something like that exists) ?
dash

#6 notfred

notfred

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,783 posts
  • Diagnoses:check out signature
  • Current Meds:check out signature

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:24 PM

HI there. Ive just started taking ritalin with my effexor, because I am prone to hypersomina (oversleeping). So far I am sleeping more. I read somewhere that if ritalin makes you tired then it means you DO have ADD and it is working. My shrink thinks that I am imagining it.
Anyone have any input?
Thanks

Right, it is a not uncommon paradoxical effect in ADD. Too little stimulant makes us sleepy. 15 mgs amphetamine puts me to sleep. 20 mgs is a big difference. Same with Rtalin.

My present pdoc laughed when I mentioned this effect, while making the case that I had ADD. He said I could stop, I just proved it.

nf

Edited by notfred, 16 October 2008 - 03:26 PM.

Dx: Major Depressive Disorder, Attention Deficit Disorder PI, Refractory Insomnia, CSA, Temporal Lobe Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor
Psyc meds: Aplenzin 522 mg, Abilify 15 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Lunesta 6 mg, Levetiracetam 2000 mg, Propranolol ER 60 mg
Other: Fenofibrate, Atorvastatin, Lisinopril, Hctz, Asprin, Metformin, Januvia, Ranitidine, Cetirizine, Nasalide, Montelukast
PRN's: Lorazepam, Alprazolam, Dextroamphetamine, Propranolol, Cyproheptadine, Patanol, Prednisone, Ipratropium, Ondansetron, Hydrocodone, Doxepin
Supplements: Fish Oil 6 g, Multi-vitamin/mineral, vitamin D 1,500 IU

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. ADD, insomnia, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

J'ai seul la clef de cette parade sauvage.
Arthur Rimbaud, Les Illuminations, Parade

"I think you are on enough medications." --my pdoc

Dr. Frankenstein: You know, I'm a rather brilliant surgeon. Perhaps I can help you with that hump.

Igor: What hump?

#7 bunnyrabbit

bunnyrabbit

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Diagnoses: Schizoaffective d/o, bipolar type
  • Current Meds:See signature

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:45 PM

A few weeks ago, I tried Ritalin instead of Provigil (for various reasons). I felt completely exhasted!! I went back to Provigil and felt fine.
Current Meds: Lithium Carbonate 900mg, Geodon 85-90mg, Artane 2.75mg, Klonopin 1-1.125mg, Adderral 20mg, Provigil 100mg, Prolixin .33mg.
Dosages are the daily total. Most meds are taken in smaller doses throughout the day.

Past meds: I've tried almost everything except MAOI's, half of the TCA's, Clozaril, Remeron and Serazone.

#8 dash

dash

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 04:26 PM

Anyone have any input?
Thanks

Right, it is a not uncommon paradoxical effect in ADD. Too little stimulant makes us sleepy. 15 mgs amphetamine puts me to sleep. 20 mgs is a big difference. Same with Rtalin.

My present pdoc laughed when I mentioned this effect, while making the case that I had ADD. He said I could stop, I just proved it.

nf

So, contrary to what I thought, I should INCREASE the dosage instead of decreasing it, right?
dash

#9 notfred

notfred

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,783 posts
  • Diagnoses:check out signature
  • Current Meds:check out signature

Posted 17 October 2008 - 07:07 AM

Anyone have any input?
Thanks

nf

So, contrary to what I thought, I should INCREASE the dosage instead of decreasing it, right?

Yep.

Dx: Major Depressive Disorder, Attention Deficit Disorder PI, Refractory Insomnia, CSA, Temporal Lobe Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor
Psyc meds: Aplenzin 522 mg, Abilify 15 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Lunesta 6 mg, Levetiracetam 2000 mg, Propranolol ER 60 mg
Other: Fenofibrate, Atorvastatin, Lisinopril, Hctz, Asprin, Metformin, Januvia, Ranitidine, Cetirizine, Nasalide, Montelukast
PRN's: Lorazepam, Alprazolam, Dextroamphetamine, Propranolol, Cyproheptadine, Patanol, Prednisone, Ipratropium, Ondansetron, Hydrocodone, Doxepin
Supplements: Fish Oil 6 g, Multi-vitamin/mineral, vitamin D 1,500 IU

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. ADD, insomnia, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

J'ai seul la clef de cette parade sauvage.
Arthur Rimbaud, Les Illuminations, Parade

"I think you are on enough medications." --my pdoc

Dr. Frankenstein: You know, I'm a rather brilliant surgeon. Perhaps I can help you with that hump.

Igor: What hump?

#10 In_Remission_chowmix

In_Remission_chowmix
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2008 - 09:25 AM

I find the crash after Ritalin ir metabolizes is exhausting, especially since I metabolize 10mg in 2 hours. I'm mostly OK if I take 10-15mg Ritalin every 2-3 hours; a bit impractical because I teach and with ADD, I sometimes forget doses UNLESS I use a conspicuous alarm. I switched to the time release version two months ago and it helps avoid the crashing. I'm on time released ritalin via concerta 54mg at 8am and 18mg at 1pm. This provides me with all day help that gently declines by 6pm or 7pm. I do feel a bit tired when the doses wear off, but it is a much gentler let down due to the mechanical way it does the time releasing.

Concerta is supposed to last 12 hours, but even with two pills spread out by four hours, it doesn't quite make the 8 hour mark for me. I supplement with a 10mg at 5 or 6 if I have an evening event.

(No problem sleeping).

(I get fatigued during the day if I don't drink water. Sometimes I forget to eat lunch and get tired mid afternoon. There is definitely an appetite suppression on this).

#11 dash

dash

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 03:57 PM

Ok folks, here is my report:

150mg topa, 45mg ritalin (3x 15mg): felt horrible.

150mg topa, 60mg ritalin (3x 20mg): horrible.

I guess this topa dosage was putting too much stress on my kidneys.

100mg topa, 45mg ritalin (3x 15mg):better, but not great.

100mg topa, 60mg ritalin (3x 20mg): better, but not great.

As soon as I lowered the topa, I stopped smoking (!). The "dumb effect" stopped. But still, 15mg or 20mg dosages of ritalin seemed weird.

100mg topa, 30mg ritalin (3x 10mg): great! Weird thing is, 15mg makes me sleepy, 20mg too, but... 10mg does not. I wonder if 15mg/20mg stresses my kidneys too much, or something weird absorption stuff like that. Nevermind... I'll stick with whatever works for now.

Just for the record.

Thanks!
dash

#12 In_Remission_always_doing_laundry

In_Remission_always_doing_laundry
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:27 AM

I see that this is a very old thread, but I am experiencing sleepiness with ritalin now, after having taken it with no sleepy effect for several months. I used to take it, feel a little bit of a buzz and then be on the ball. Now, I take it, and I am *more* sleepy than if I had taken ativan (which doesn't make me sleepy) ... or any of my other meds that might sometimes have a sleep effect. I'm also on a calcium-channel blocker, gabapentin, lamictal, ativan, famotidine.

#13 bergsonisme

bergsonisme

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Diagnoses:F31, F44, F82, F90
  • Current Meds:LTG, CPZ, Li2CO3, MFL

Posted 22 October 2010 - 05:17 AM

You might just feel tired with Ritalin because you did a lot of stuff crazy fast while it was on. I remember getting muscle cramps after doing tons of late errands that involved a lot of walking, crazy fast.

But in comparison to Provigil, Ritalin has a very short half-life, so even if you're not ADHD enough to forget to take your pills QID, it will crash down at some time. (This gave me horrible, borderliney mood swings)

I found Ritalin stronger than Provigil, but Provigil has such a long half-life that if you take it once a day you're probably never "off Provigil" entirely, so you don't feel tired.
I'm off the bus. I randomized my password punching the keyboard and copying-and-pasting it.

#14 In_Remission_leachevil

In_Remission_leachevil
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:04 AM

I have hypersomnia and Ritalin made me extremely tired even when increasing the dose. I had to switch to dextroamphetamine. Big difference.

#15 Deep Sea Philosopher

Deep Sea Philosopher

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:28 AM

I have hypersomnia and Ritalin made me extremely tired even when increasing the dose. I had to switch to dextroamphetamine. Big difference.

Interesting. Usually people find Dextroamphetamine to cause more drowsiness than the Mixed Amphetamines. Has to do with not hitting as much Norepinephrine. Everybody is wired differently and as we like to say, YMMV.
My Kind of Crazy: Schizoaffective Disorder of the Bipolar Type

Meds: 30mg Dexedrine Spansule .. 200mg Lamictal .. 80mg Latuda .. 600mg Neurontin .. 200mg Ultram ER

Some people say the grass is always greener on the other side.
I say be the gardener. Water it. Feed it. Make your own grass grow.
I make the grass greener wherever I am. I'm the gardener.

#16 In_Remission_dspencer3491

In_Remission_dspencer3491
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:43 PM

Anyone have any input?
Thanks

I complained of the same thing to my psychiatrist with Vyvanse. It doesn't sedate me but it definitely calms me down to the point where I feel relaxed and slightly sleepy but my mind is generally too stimulated to allow for sleep.

My psychiatrist says those who have very prominent hyperactive-Impulsive symptoms tend to feel much calmer on stimulants and she says her very hyperactive patients sometimes receive a short-acting dose of their medication at bedtime which helps some of them actually sleep. Now those who mostly have the inattentive type tend to receive more physical stimulation and very frequently have insomnia.

Do you take any other medications?

#17 In_Remission_dspencer3491

In_Remission_dspencer3491
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:05 PM

Anyone have any input?
Thanks

One other possibility is that your Effexor is contributing. Serotonin and dopamine counterbalance each other in the brain. Many different serotonin receptors when activated reduce dopamine and norepinephrine in the brain such as the 5-HT2c receptors. We do know the reason serotonergic drugs cause sexual dysfunction and sometimes low motivation and reduced pleasure and it's because the drugs lower your dopamine levels. Remember dopamine is involved with mood/pleasure, reward, sexuality, cognition-attention, memory, learning, motivation, and movement. So maybe the serotonergic neurotransmission is causing an inhibitory effect on your stimulant. Now overtime your serotonin receptors desensitize or downregulate and these receptors will be activated less often and you should get less side negative side effects.

#18 tamagotchi

tamagotchi

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS
  • Current Meds:Lamictal (failed 17 other meds)

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:46 AM

Ritalin made me relaxed and sometimes sleepy. I think the primary effect was relaxation, but when I was actually tired, the relaxation would help me take a nap or get to sleep. It also made my mind feel nice and clear.

Unfortunately, each time I used it I had really unpleasant anxiety attacks after it wore off, so I had to stop using it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog

Just a few designs from our Crazymeds' Clothes Line. See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$43. Or search the Amazon for your retail Nirvana.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy shirts
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting shirts
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Medicated For Your Protection shirts
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirts