Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious

Splitting Wellbutrin Xl In Half

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_jcat73

In_Remission_jcat73
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:36 PM

Pdoc wants me to take 150 mg wellbutrin xl. I have an (almost full) bottle of 300 mg wellbutrin xl. Am I going to screw up the extended release if I cut them in half? I know it's not recommended, but I hate to waste money on a script I can't use.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Artemisia

Artemisia

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression
  • Current Meds:sertraline, cetirizine, zolpidem

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:53 PM

Pdoc wants me to take 150 mg wellbutrin xl. I have an (almost full) bottle of 300 mg wellbutrin xl. Am I going to screw up the extended release if I cut them in half? I know it's not recommended, but I hate to waste money on a script I can't use.

Yeah, I think it'd turn into immediate release (or something very close to it). Some drugs have a coat that protects the contents from getting digested too soon because that'd be bad for other reasons as well, but I really don't think this is the case with Wellbutrin.

Edited by Artemisia, 28 August 2008 - 04:54 PM.

Current meds: sertraline 100mg, cetirizine 5mg, zolpidem 2.5 mg

#3 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• Chief Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,106 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, Epilepsy NOS, Autism, Agoraphobia/Social Anxiety
  • Current Meds:LTG 200mg, TPM 250mg, protriptyline 40mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 45mg EPA 600

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:43 AM

How many times do we have to write "DO NOT SPLIT CONTROLLED / EXTENDED RELEASE PILLS IN HALF" ?
Jerod Poore - Owner, Founder and Chief Citizen Medical Expert of crazymeds.us
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

Wear my Straitjacket     Batshit Crazy Blog

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

#4 In_Remission_jcat73

In_Remission_jcat73
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:33 PM

Whoa dude! No need to yell. I get it! Guess I should've searched the boards for that topic before I posted it. Must be a common question. ok, ok, ok. I filled the 150mg xl script. I won't cut any more pills!!!

#5 nettles

nettles

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD or ?
  • Current Meds:WB SR, Lamictal, Ambien

Posted 31 August 2008 - 07:54 AM

Guess I should've searched the boards for that topic before I posted it. Must be a common question.

It's in the Top 5 for sure.
No splitting or chewing or you get a big-assed BLAMMO! dose all at once.

jook

On the other hand,

My P-doc said it was fine to split the XL pills, but that I would get a little extra med release initially. When questioned he said that once the pill is "wet enough, the polymer base swells and the time release function resumes."

The way I visualize it is like making intentionally lumpy gravy. The active ingredient is surrounded by little starch blobs that swell when hydrated. When the outer layer is dissolved, the next blobs are also getting hydrated, swell, and increase the time needed to dissolve away.

Crushing the pills would bypass this, much like making a slurry with arrowroot before dumping it in to the pot. But, it seems that the pill could bounce back from the insult of being cut, rebuild its fortress, and continue being a stubborn little lump.
Past meds: Prozac, Effexor, sertraline, trazodone, hydroxyzine, diphenhydramine, bc pill, vitex, kava, other herbal stuffs.

Current: Wellbutrin XL 300mg, Lamictal 100mg, zolpidem ~3.3mg, fish oil 2000mg, multi vitamin, lorazepam .5mg prn

#6 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,106 posts
  • Current Meds:LTG 200mg, TPM 250mg, protriptyline 40mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 45mg EPA 600

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:25 AM

My P-doc said it was fine to split the XL pills, but that I would get a little extra med release initially.

Which XL? Does that apply to XR? SR? CR? Was that Wellbutrin? Paxil? Depakote? Tegretol? Concerta? Lithium? How about when I take it with grapefruit juice? Or if I'm taking one from column A and two from column B?

One rule. Easy to remember. Much safer. The InterTubes is one big-ass game of post office. In spite of it being so easy to actually copy text, various grades of morons will opt to type stuff from memory and get it wrong through conflation, omission, transposition, etc.
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

#7 In_Remission_Swamp Chicken

In_Remission_Swamp Chicken
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:44 PM

I'm on day 2 of this stuff and I know it takes a few weeks to get into your system.

Yesterday my ex-wife set off a rage in me that I have never experienced. It was a phone call. We are fighting for custody over my 15 year old after being divorced for 12 years. Her and her husband assaulted him 6 weeks ago. Six weeks later she still thinks her and he did nothing wrong.

Anyway, I digress. I want to kill. I want to rip their entrails out and eat them while they watch. Understand the rage ??????????????????????????

I just want to know if anyone has bitten a 150 XL in half and if it might help. As long as it does not kill me .... I really don't give a rat's ass !

Just curious because I am going to give it a shot in about 15 minutes.

Thanks

#8 Petrucci914

Petrucci914

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:07 AM

I'm on day 2 of this stuff and I know it takes a few weeks to get into your system.

Yesterday my ex-wife set off a rage in me that I have never experienced. It was a phone call. We are fighting for custody over my 15 year old after being divorced for 12 years. Her and her husband assaulted him 6 weeks ago. Six weeks later she still thinks her and he did nothing wrong.

Anyway, I digress. I want to kill. I want to rip their entrails out and eat them while they watch. Understand the rage ??????????????????????????

I just want to know if anyone has bitten a 150 XL in half and if it might help. As long as it does not kill me .... I really don't give a rat's ass !

Just curious because I am going to give it a shot in about 15 minutes.

Thanks

Why would you want to bite it in half?

I've figured it out
There is no doubt I need some help
Can you try to save me from myself?
-Enchant "Defenseless"

Diagnosis:  TR Dysthymia, GAD

Current Meds:  Abilify 5mg, Wellbutrin XL 300mg

#9 Artemisia

Artemisia

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression
  • Current Meds:sertraline, cetirizine, zolpidem

Posted 04 November 2008 - 12:13 PM

Are you trying to take it for anxiety? Wellbutrin usually doesn't work for anxiety well; it's more likely to cause it.

I think that a major reason why there are time-release forms of Wellbutrin is that Wellbutrin has a tendency to lower people's seizure threshold (so it's easier to get seizures even if you've never had them), so it's a bit complicated... Talk to your doctor or a pharmacist...

Again, though, I'm not sure what specifically you'd like to take the Wellbutrin for.

Good luck dealing with everything!
Current meds: sertraline 100mg, cetirizine 5mg, zolpidem 2.5 mg

#10 notfred

notfred

Emergency Second Opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts
  • Diagnoses:see signature
  • Current Meds:see signature

Posted 04 November 2008 - 12:15 PM

If you want to make that worse, go ahead and bite it in half.

nf

Edited by notfred, 04 November 2008 - 01:42 PM.

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

Psyc Meds: Forfivo XL 450 mg (Wellbutrin XL), Abilify 15 mg, (Aripiprazole), Eszopiclone 6 mg (Lunesta), Vyvance 70 mg, (Dextroamphetamine) Levetiracetam 2,000 mg (Keppra), Propranolol ER 60 mg (Inderal)
PRN: Lorazepam 1-4 mg (Ativan), Alprazolam 1-2 mg (Xanax), Dextroamphetamine 10-40 mg (Dexedrine), Propranolol 20-40 mg (Inderal), Ondansetron 8 mg (Zofran)

Supps: Multi-vitamin/mineral, Vitamin D-3 2,000 IU, Omega-3-acid ethyl esters 4 g (Lovaza), Fish oil 1-4 g.

Dx: Depression, Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor

I also take allergy and diabetes + it's complications meds.

All doses are a daily total.

#11 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,106 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:07 PM

Redundant topic merged with a recent existing one on the same subject.

#12 mybackhurts

mybackhurts

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:depression due to cronic pain
  • Current Meds:bupropion xl

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:34 AM

If you want to make that worse, go ahead and bite it in half.

nf

You have inspired me to respond to a post for the first time... didn't your mother ever tell you if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all? You sound like my dentist who made me cry by saying 'well, if you want to loose all your teeth keep doing what your doing.' I never saw her again... this is a public forum and everyone is taking medication for depression or anxiety...think before you hit return. That goes for you too, with the sarastic grapefruit juice comment.
I just went down to 150 from 300 for wellbutrin xl and I know I'm not supposed to cut them in half but I too hate to waste meds and money, so it's a valid question. In case I am out and the pharmacy won't fill my prescription right away, I will cut the 300mg xl pill.
I've been reading up on it and it seems the only reason you can't cut xl pills is because you break the seal of the slow releasing coating, so I don't see why you can't cut a 300mg xl pill in quarters and take two quarters twice a day. I know wellbutrin wakes you up so I will take it early in the morning and early in the afternoon. I'm not recommending this to anyone just stating there is a person out there who would do this after reading up on extended release properties.
By the way, wellbutrin has enabled me to think positively when I am in pain, it still hurts and it still sucks but I no longer think my life is ruined.

#13 Larkspur

Larkspur

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar ii, OCD, GAD, social phobia, attention deficit
  • Current Meds:Latuda, Lexapro, Wellbutrin XL, clonidine, PRN: Xanax, Restoril

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:41 AM

Honestly, that old poster was complaining of rage and asking for advice on how to improperly take a medication that would have likely made them worse. Standing up for them 3+ years later is useless.

larkspur

Dx: bipolar ii; social anxiety disorder/social phobia, GAD, OCD, insomnia

#14 notfred

notfred

Emergency Second Opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts
  • Diagnoses:see signature
  • Current Meds:see signature

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

I think taking 150 mgs IR Wellbutrin is a really bad idea given the emotional state the poster mentioned. It is like throwing gas on a fire. Wellbutrin is well known to be anything but calming for most. Out of my very real concern I told the poster what I thought would happen.

Edited by notfred, 25 May 2012 - 01:36 PM.

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

Psyc Meds: Forfivo XL 450 mg (Wellbutrin XL), Abilify 15 mg, (Aripiprazole), Eszopiclone 6 mg (Lunesta), Vyvance 70 mg, (Dextroamphetamine) Levetiracetam 2,000 mg (Keppra), Propranolol ER 60 mg (Inderal)
PRN: Lorazepam 1-4 mg (Ativan), Alprazolam 1-2 mg (Xanax), Dextroamphetamine 10-40 mg (Dexedrine), Propranolol 20-40 mg (Inderal), Ondansetron 8 mg (Zofran)

Supps: Multi-vitamin/mineral, Vitamin D-3 2,000 IU, Omega-3-acid ethyl esters 4 g (Lovaza), Fish oil 1-4 g.

Dx: Depression, Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor

I also take allergy and diabetes + it's complications meds.

All doses are a daily total.

#15 alittleunwell

alittleunwell

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Diagnoses:GAD, depression, SA
  • Current Meds:Paxil, Klonopin

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:30 PM

Just in case someone should see this thread and contemplate splitting a wellbutrin XL in half, I thought I would share my story. I did that once -- and had the worst anxiety attack I've ever had. Ended up in the emergency room, thinking I was having a heart attack. Mind you, it was a pdoc who suggested it, just something to keep in mind when weighing medical advice.
Current meds: Paxil, Klonopin, Ambien
Past meds: Elavil, Wellbutrin, Xanax, Triavil, Ativan
Never taking again meds: Zoloft, Lexipro

#16 bethany

bethany

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD SAD dysthymia
  • Current Meds:bupropion

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

Well, fyi, this is the only way I will take it. Taking them whole causes me a VERY UNPLEASANT vertigo-spacey -weird feeling that I just can't handle. Controlled release should mean "I control the release."

#17 mleid

mleid

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Diagnoses:depression, fibromyalgia, chronic migraines
  • Current Meds:wellbutrin

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:27 AM

Have you considered telling your dr about how it makes you feel & asking for immediate release formulation? Insurance issues?

#18 Tubenoob

Tubenoob

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Diagnoses:GAD
  • Current Meds:Lexapro 20mg, Wellbutrin XL 150mg, Ambien 10mg as needed, Xanax 1mg as needed

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

So, did we determine that it is ok to split wellbutrin xl in half?
Sorry, couldn't resist.

#19 psych101

psych101

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:PTSD
  • Current Meds:Wellbutrin XL 150mg, Adderall XR 20mg

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:30 AM

Tubenoob,

If you split Wellbutrin XL in half and appropriately space your dosing it's actually fine despite what people are saying.  2x/day Wellbutrin IR 75mg = 1x/day Wellbutrin XL 150mg. You shouldn't split it in half and take all at once. 

I wouldn't recommend just doing it without asking your doc, though.

http://www.adhdinfoc...LLBUTRIN XL.PDF

Edited by psych101, 16 April 2013 - 05:33 AM.

#20 LibraryAnn

LibraryAnn

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II, Generalized Anxiety
  • Current Meds:Lithium 900mg, Lorazepam 3mg, Buproprion varies

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:37 AM

So, I've been doing this for a couple years--cutting 100mg Bupropion SR (generic for Wellbutrin SR) tablets into smaller pieces and taking them on a prn, or "as needed," basis.  My psychiatrist believes this should not be therapeutic, or of negligible therapeutic effect, and that my perceived experience of abated depressive symptoms is placebic.  

I've tried taking the extended release as prescribed, but find that my depressive symptoms return (my bipolar disorder is depression heavy), and that it seems to exacerbate my generalized anxiety.  When taking small pieces, sometimes rubbing the rough end along my tongue before swallowing, I experience a reprieve from my depressive symptoms and social anxiety, albeit a short reprieve.  

This method of taking Bupropion has served as an important safety valve for me when experiencing severe suicidal ideation.  The mood boost also makes it more possible for me to function in social situations.  It has possibly saved my life, and it has certainly allowed me to function in a more "normal" way--missing less work and class, and able to spend time with friends and family, etc.

I would like to find scientic studies supporting this method of use as therapeutic, so that I could share that with my doctor.

If you're bipolar, you know that introducing extra stimulants or sedatives into your system can cause you to rotate more towards one pole.  Buproprion is a stimluating antidepressant, and could give you a bump in the manic direction.  Probably because my bipolar disorder is skewed more towards depression, I have experienced at most a mild hypomania when taking Bupropion in the manner I've described above.  

***This is just an anecdotal account.  I am not a medical professional, but a psychiatric patient.  According to the NAMI website, Wellbutrin should not be "chewed, crushed, or broken."  Please do not take any medication in a manner not prescribed without first talking with your doctor.  My doctor is aware of the nature of my medication use, although she strongly encourages taking the extend release as prescribed.  Also, I am on a cocktail of prescription drugs and have been for years.  And I have developed certain tolerances.  All of these factors may contribute to the way I metabolize Buproprion.  Cutting Bupropion may not be therapeutic for you and indeed could be harmful.  Please talk with your physician first before making any changes to your pharmaceutical regime.  Please don't take this drug recreationally.  Not only do you risk your own health, but you trivialize something that keeps people alive.  Abuse of prescription medication can make it more difficult for patients to obtain the psychiatric medication they need to stay alive.***

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog