Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious

Cymbalta And Memory Loss?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_badgene-etics

In_Remission_badgene-etics
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:01 PM

I think am losing my mind. My memory is really shot and I have always had an excellent memory so I am getting really scared. This is not normal. The Cymbalta is the only change I can think of. I switched from Effexor about a year ago. I have been on Prozac, Wellbutrin (briefly), and Lexapro and have never had this side effect. The Cymbalta has been working great but seems to be losing efficacy as my memory also dissapears. I have recently switched docs and they have not heard of this symptom - big surpirse. Anybody out there with any similar experience? Hate to do the scary taper off cymbalta if it is not the culprit...but I am getting kind of freaked out...

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 In_Remission_SMM

In_Remission_SMM
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2008 - 03:51 PM

I'm new here (just been lurking for a while) and have started Cymbalta this week. I can't remember a dang thing. I've been wondering what's wrong with me, and memory issues with Cymbalta was something I was trying to find out about too.
So I don't have any solutions to offer you, but can tell you that I am having the same experience.

#3 In_Remission_badgene-etics

• Guests

Posted 05 August 2008 - 07:52 PM

I'm new here (just been lurking for a while) and have started Cymbalta this week. I can't remember a dang thing. I've been wondering what's wrong with me, and memory issues with Cymbalta was something I was trying to find out about too.
So I don't have any solutions to offer you, but can tell you that I am having the same experience.

Thanks for responding. I am getting off this stuff just in case. I'll let you know if I get my memory back but it may be awhile as I am very slowly tapering off to try and avoid the nasty side effects others have experienced. I've cut down to 45 mgs last few days with no problems yet. P doc wants me to cut 1/4 dose every three days but I want to do it slower. I also am the poster with the laryngeal pain from Cymbalta which I still have to take pepcid daily to avoid so the two things together are too much for me. Good luck. Oh, and if you google "cybalta memory loss" you'll get a lot of hits. Who knew!

#4 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• Chief Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,078 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, Epilepsy NOS, Autism, Agoraphobia/Social Anxiety
  • Current Meds:LTG 200mg, TPM 250mg, protriptyline 40mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 45mg EPA 600

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:10 AM

See this topic on memory and cognitive side effects. They are common to all medications.
Jerod Poore - Owner, Founder and Chief Citizen Medical Expert of crazymeds.us
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

Wear my Straitjacket     Batshit Crazy Blog

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

#5 In_Remission_badgene-etics

• Guests

Posted 08 August 2008 - 11:43 AM

See this topic on memory and cognitive side effects. They are common to all medications.

Thank you Jarod. Very informative. Hopefully I'll remember it : ) My P docs are headed toward mood stabilizers for me so the info about their effect on memory is especially useful. I have found that the side effects that drive me off a drug are never the ones highlighed in the PDR or even mentioned. I almost always have a side effect my docs has never heard of occurring with that drug. That's what drove me to find your site. So thanks beyond words for the oportunity to connect with others who have had the same experiences not to mention the vast quantity of information. I had not thought (ha!) to search beyond my current drug's posts for an explanation because this is the first time I have really experienced memory loss of this magnitude. But if I look back, it has been a common thread throuout several drugs and many years.

#6 In_Remission_mikki

In_Remission_mikki
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:03 AM

Thank you Jarod. Very informative. Hopefully I'll remember it : ) My P docs are headed toward mood stabilizers for me so the info about their effect on memory is especially useful. I have found that the side effects that drive me off a drug are never the ones highlighed in the PDR or even mentioned. I almost always have a side effect my docs has never heard of occurring with that drug. That's what drove me to find your site. So thanks beyond words for the oportunity to connect with others who have had the same experiences not to mention the vast quantity of information. I had not thought (ha!) to search beyond my current drug's posts for an explanation because this is the first time I have really experienced memory loss of this magnitude. But if I look back, it has been a common thread throuout several drugs and many years.

keep us posted on the memory thing though and if it comes back after cymbalta.. i am having the same problem and so afraid it will be permanent when i stop

#7 In_Remission_badgene-etics

• Guests

Posted 14 September 2008 - 02:07 PM

keep us posted on the memory thing though and if it comes back after cymbalta.. i am having the same problem and so afraid it will be permanent when i stop

#8 In_Remission_badgene-etics

• Guests

Posted 14 September 2008 - 02:19 PM

I will let you know. I actually stayed at half my cymbalta dose (went from 60 to 30 mg very slowly) for awhile due to life complications and not wanting to upset the apple cart in the middle of them. I recently got sick and forgot to take my meds for a few days while I was out of it. Then I thought, hey no side effects! Maybe I should just stay off them. BIG mistake. I got so sick. Took about four days off cymbalta for hell to kick in but i felt horrible. Dizzy, nauseus, headache, brain zaps. I restarted cymbalta and started to feel better within a few day, each day improving until maybe 4 days back on felt pretty good again. But that is it for me. I am heading off it now so stayed tuned. Have started up on prozac again a few days ago to help mitigate. Today cut back to 15 mg cymbalta. I will say that my brain was functioning a bit better on just 30 mgs. We'll see if it improves as I continue to decrease the mgs. 30 mgs was just enough to keep most of the depression away but not quite all. Saw some impatience and antisocialness creeping in but not horrible. I am resigned that I need these drugs to function but boy do I hate them...

#9 notfred

notfred

Emergency Second Opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,195 posts
  • Diagnoses:check out signature
  • Current Meds:check out signature

Posted 14 September 2008 - 03:21 PM

I think am losing my mind. My memory is really shot and I have always had an excellent memory so I am getting really scared. This is not normal. The Cymbalta is the only change I can think of. I switched from Effexor about a year ago. I have been on Prozac, Wellbutrin (briefly), and Lexapro and have never had this side effect. The Cymbalta has been working great but seems to be losing efficacy as my memory also dissapears. I have recently switched docs and they have not heard of this symptom - big surpirse. Anybody out there with any similar experience? Hate to do the scary taper off cymbalta if it is not the culprit...but I am getting kind of freaked out...

Are you on any other meds and what are they ?

AD's effect your neurology and memory is something very neurological. So no surprise a few have memory problems on Cymbalta. All AD's can cause cognitive
effects and side effects. However, MDD and all MI for sure cause memory and other cognitive problems. Sometimes it is not the med but the underlying illness,
not being throughly enough, that is causing these problems. However, you say you are "doing great" so that points back to the med as the cause of the problems.

If you are taking others meds the picture maybe different.

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

Psyc Meds: Forfivo XL 450 mg (Wellbutrin XL), Abilify 15 mg, (Aripiprazole), Eszopiclone 6 mg (Lunesta), Vyvance 70 mg, (Dextroamphetamine) Levetiracetam 2,000 mg (Keppra), Propranolol ER 60 mg (Inderal)
PRN: Lorazepam 1-4 mg (Ativan), Alprazolam 1-2 mg (Xanax), Dextroamphetamine 10-40 mg (Dexedrine), Propranolol 20-40 mg (Inderal), Ondansetron 8 mg (Zofran)

Supps: Multi-vitamin/mineral, Vitamin D-3 2,000 IU, Omega-3-acid ethyl esters 4 g (Lovaza), Fish oil 1-4 g.

Dx: Depression, Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor

I also take allergy and diabetes + it's complications meds.

All doses are a daily total.

#10 pdavis

pdavis

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:02 AM

I was on Cymbalta 60 mgs for about one month and experienced major memory loss, i.e. couldn't remember people's names, lost train of thought in the middle of a conversation. The only other AD that affected me similarly was Wellbutrin at any dosage level. I've been on Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro, Paxil, Prozac, Pristiq, and maybe others (can't remember :)). Obviously some of you guys and gals are experiencing the same thing. My question is - does it ever go away or get better? I actually felt pretty good on Cymbalta and since I have Rheumatoid Arthritis I was looking for something to help with pain and depression. I also take Vyvanse, which is related to Adderall, for my ADD, but it doesn't seem to help with the memory issue.

A bit of background, I've been on ADs since I was 40 and I'm now almost 54. Lexapro and Celexa seemed to work the best, but the weight gain was awful, as was the lethargy (which I really have to fight now as it's a side effect of the arthritis). Zoloft is good at keeping me mentally sharp and active, but I tend to get pretty bitchy on it and lately it doesn't seem to be working (went up to 150 mgs). The others didn't seem to do much of anything. I was diagnosed with GAD about 3 years ago and take Klonipin 1 mg up to twice a day. I was also diagnosed with ADD about a year ago and have been taking Vyvanse 50mgs daily. I'm also on a bunch of other stuff for my arthritis, thyroid, and migraines. I don't this these other medications are part of the problem as I only experience the memory loss on Cymbalta or Wellbutrin.

Is this related to the dopamine increase? I'm just taking a wild guess because I really don't know that much about it. My pdoc said my memory problems on Cymbalta were related to seratonin. I had never heard of that before.

I have heard about a drug developed in France called Tiapentine which is supposed to help with neurogenesis and have very few side effects, but it hasn't been approve here due to FDA red tape and expense. Has anyone tried that? If so, how do you get it?

To sum up: 1. do the memory problems with Cymbalta go away over time? 2. Does anyone know what causes the memory loss and what can be done to alleviate it? 3. Anyone know anything about Tiapentine and has anyone tried it? Is it being reviewed by the FDA at all? I read something that it may be being tested for IBS, but couldn't figure out if that was true at the FDA's very confusing website.

Thanks for any help and I really love this site. It's one of the few where I feel I can get straight answers. :mad:

#11 Halberd of Hope

Halberd of Hope

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP NOS, GAD, migraine, fibromyalgia
  • Current Meds:signature

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:46 AM

I had major memory problems on Cymbalta to the point that I had to withdraw from a semester at college to avoid failing out, and people were asking if I was okay because I'd forget what we were talking about in the middle of a conversation, or names of people I knew, that kind of thing.

It did slowly get better after I got off Cymbalta (not fun), but it took probably 6 months or so of being completely off it before I felt I was near my pre-cymbalta functioning.

As a general rule, people, even the wicked, are much more naive and simple-hearted than we suppose. And we ourselves are, too.
-Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov.

Current Meds: Lyrica 75mg, lithium 600mg daily, Maxalt 10mg PRN, clonazepam 1mg PRN, Reclipsen .15/.03 (OCP)
+ Fish Oil (800mg EPA 400mg DHA),Magnesium Oxide 750mg, Vitamin D3 2000 IU

Ex-Meds:
ADs: Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta, Celexa, amitriptyline, lofepramine (mostly awesome--wish it were in the US), Prozac, Nortryptyline
Benzos: Klonopin, Ativan, Tranxene
AAPs: Abilify
ACs: Lamictal, Neurontin (great for anxiety), Topamax (3 days)
Triptans: Zomig, Imitrex, Treximet
Others: Midrin, Nadolol, Propanolol, Clonidine, Strattera

#12 Halberd of Hope

Halberd of Hope

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:48 AM

A follow-up thought, since you were using it for pain...have you tried nortriptyline? It's often used for pain too.

As a general rule, people, even the wicked, are much more naive and simple-hearted than we suppose. And we ourselves are, too.

Current Meds: Lyrica 75mg, lithium 600mg daily, Maxalt 10mg PRN, clonazepam 1mg PRN, Reclipsen .15/.03 (OCP)

Ex-Meds:
ADs: Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta, Celexa, amitriptyline, lofepramine (mostly awesome--wish it were in the US), Prozac, Nortryptyline

#13 pdavis

pdavis

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:15 AM

No I haven't, Hammer - is that a Tricyclic? Hope I spelled that right. How is it working for you? Does it affect memory?

Thanks for your input

Edited by pdavis, 02 February 2012 - 09:58 AM.

#14 Halberd of Hope

Halberd of Hope

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

No I haven't, Hammer - is that a Tricyclic? Hope I spelled that right. How is it working for you? Does it affect memory?

Thanks for your input

It is a tricyclic. It has been working for the most part really well for my depression. I don't think it affects my memory, but I take neurontin also which definitely does.

Ex-Meds:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog