Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Batshit Crazy mug
Batshit Crazy
Photo

Is Ambien A Smooth Muscle Relaxer?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nettles

nettles

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD or ?
  • Current Meds:WB SR, Lamictal, Ambien

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:08 PM

Could Ambien be implicated in nighttime reflux? Maybe nightly Ambien is telling the lower esophageal sphinter to relax?
Past meds: Prozac, Effexor, sertraline, trazodone, hydroxyzine, diphenhydramine, bc pill, vitex, kava, other herbal stuffs.

Current: Wellbutrin XL 300mg, Lamictal 100mg, zolpidem ~3.3mg, fish oil 2000mg, multi vitamin, lorazepam .5mg prn

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Batshit Crazy buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Batshit Crazy
Medicated For Your Protection buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 netsavy006

netsavy006

Would-be Neurologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Diagnoses:Asperger's + Bipolar 1: Mixed Episode
  • Current Meds:See Signature

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:29 AM

I've not heard of Ambien being a smooth muscle relaxant.
- Andy -
Dx: Asperger's + Bipolar 1: Mixed Episode
Rx: Topamax 200mg + Valium 15mg + Zyprexa Zydis 5mg + Artane 6mg + Lunesta 3mg

#3 sorrel

sorrel

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Diagnoses: Bipolar I
  • Current Meds: lithium 1800mg (1 mmol/L)

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:52 AM

Yes: like the benzodiazepines, to which it is closely related, Ambien does act as a smooth muscle relaxant. Here is an example of its effect on uterine muscles, but it can act on any smooth muscles.
It's terrible, Bob, to think that all I've suffered, and all the suffering I've caused, might have arisen from the lack of a little salt in my brain.

--Poet Robert Lowell, to publisher Bob Giroux, about lithium

#4 Serpens

Serpens

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Diagnoses:GAD w/Panic and Major Depression Symptoms
  • Current Meds:Emsam 6mg/24hr, .25mg Xanax prn

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:23 PM

Agreed. As a benzo relative, it could relax all sorts of strange muscles. I wouldn't think it would without something else granted on, though from your other thread I'd say all bets are off with your GI tract. My instinct is to look elsewhere for the problem.

Then again. This is Ambien, it wakes up coma patients and makes sleeping Australians have sex with strangers. In other words, it's done stranger things.

#5 The Lightning Stalker

The Lightning Stalker

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, Aspergers, GAD, Schizoaffective
  • Current Meds:Trazodone 50, Pristiq 50, residual Prozac still in my system

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:28 PM

As an anticonvulsant and muscle relaxant, the beneficial effects start to emerge at 10 and 20 times the dose required for sedation, respectively.[5] For that reason, it has never been approved for either muscle relaxation or seizure prevention. Such drastically increased doses are more inclined to induce one or more negative side effects, including hallucinations and/or amnesia.

There's your answer. At 3.3mg it's not going to be doing much in the way of muscle relaxation.

#6 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,427 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 400, CLZ 2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.5-1

Posted 13 June 2008 - 11:26 AM

To quote my favorite guy (Robert Julian, A Primer of Drug Action):

Zolpidem (Ambien) is a nonbenzodiazepine that was marketed in 1993 for the short-term treatment of insomnia. Although structurally unrelated to the benzodiazepines, zolpidem acts similarly, binding to a specific subtype (type 1) of the GABA A receptor. It displays most of the actions of all the other benzodiazepine agonists: it is primarily a sedative rather than an anxiolytic, and its sedative actions overwhelm any anxiolytic effects.

[...]

At doses of 5 to 10 milligrams, zolpidem produces sedation and promotes a physiological pattern of sleep in the absence of anxiolytic, anticonvulsant, or muscle relaxant effects. Memory is adversely affected as it is by benzodiazepines.

Dymphna

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$43. Or search the Amazon for your retail Nirvana.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions