Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Xanax And Ativan Together?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lostanddelirious

lostanddelirious

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Diagnoses:PTSD, Mood Disorder NOS, Epilepsy

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:39 AM

Can ativan and xanax be combined? I found a xanax and took it about an hour after I took a .5 mg of ativan.
Is that okay? Will it just make more drowsy???
Current rx: Lamictal-500mg, Keppra-1500mg, Lithium-1200mg, Risperdal-1mg, Ativan-prn, Risperdal-prn, Geodon-20mg

Past rx: Tegretol, Dilantin, Depakote (15 yrs.), Zoloft, Abilify (3 trials), Celexa, Geodon, Topamax, Seroquel, Cogentin

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• Chief Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, Epilepsy NOS, Autism, Agoraphobia/Social Anxiety
  • Current Meds:LTG 200mg, TPM 250mg, protriptyline 30mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 45mg EPA 600

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:16 AM

Can ativan and xanax be combined? I found a xanax and took it about an hour after I took a .5 mg of ativan.
Is that okay? Will it just make more drowsy???

Making it a regular practice isn't that great of an idea. Doctors don't like prescribing two benzos at once, for lots of good reasons.

Just once though should just really mellow you out, maybe even knock you out.

Assuming you don't have a paradoxical reaction. That's highly unlikely, but always possible.
Jerod Poore - Owner, Founder and Chief Citizen Medical Expert of crazymeds.us
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

Wear my Straitjacket     Batshit Crazy Blog

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

#3 lostanddelirious

lostanddelirious

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:53 AM

Thank you. I feel better. Considering that I have a high tolerance of ativan the xanax just made me very sleepy. Basically temporarily dimished my very depressed mood. I just woke up :mad: so I am on with my day...
Current rx: Lamictal-500mg, Keppra-1500mg, Lithium-1200mg, Risperdal-1mg, Ativan-prn, Risperdal-prn, Geodon-20mg

Past rx: Tegretol, Dilantin, Depakote (15 yrs.), Zoloft, Abilify (3 trials), Celexa, Geodon, Topamax, Seroquel, Cogentin

#4 lostanddelirious

lostanddelirious

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:20 PM

Sure sounds like it! Which is stronger? Ativan or xanax?

#5 In_Remission_DSM Bookworm

In_Remission_DSM Bookworm
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:53 AM

There is no point in a doc scripting xanax and ativan. He should pick one or the other (or substitute one with Klonopin). They are both short-acting meds, suitable for prn use. Ativan has less abuse potential, but xanax is more potent. Ativan is kind of stupefying, more so than xanax, in my experience. This is not medical advice.

#6 Serpens

Serpens

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • Diagnoses:GAD w/Panic and Major Depression Symptoms
  • Current Meds:Emsam 6mg/24hr, .25mg Xanax prn

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:02 PM

I personally find xanax more paradoxical. I personally have mixed benzos. I don't recommend it. It's very difficult to hurt yourself with one benzo alone. Two and you're getting into a grey area. People do it, but a bigger dose of just one is probably safer. Less side effects, less interaction potential.

All the benzos do express cross tolerance. If you're tolerant to xanax, you're tolerant to ativan etc, with respect to sedation.

More or less, you should NOT do this. It's not a screaming nono like mixing in alcohol or a barb. You shouldn't get yourself to an ER, but you should definitely not do it again. Finding it rather hard to express where between 'this is safe and okay' and 'absolutely no' this is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog