Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting mugs
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection mugs
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar mugs
I <3 Wellbutrin mug
I <3 Wellbutrin mugs
Photo

Zoloft Vs Prozac

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 KarenRB53

KarenRB53

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, GAD,
  • Current Meds:Celexa, Ativan,

Posted 08 May 2008 - 04:12 PM

Is there a big difference in how Zoloft works compared to Prozac? My Prozac has definitely stopped working and I'm looking at several options from my doctor. He has suggested trying Zoloft.....he has suggested adding Wellbutrin to the Prozac...he has suggested trying Imipramine. Wondering about the Zoloft.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons
Batshit Crazy buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Batshit Crazy buttons
Medicated For Your Protection buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Medicated For Your Protection buttons
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons

#2 thief of light

thief of light

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • Diagnoses:DSM: 296.89, 300.01, 300.02, 307.42, 309.81.

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:23 PM

One big difference is that Zoloft can affect dopamine, where Prozac doesn't affect it. For some folks, the little kiss to the dopamine receptors is what they need.

Current DX: Bipolar II, GAD, panic disorder, PTSD, migraines, hypothyroidism, fibromyalgia, and endometriosis.

Current RX: 5mg Saphris, 200mg Seroquel, 1mg Klonopin nightly with an extra .5mg prn

Potentially Revisiting RX: Zonegran - we shall see. 

Past RX: Amitryptiline, Ambien, BuSpar, Celexa, Clomipramine, Cymbalta, Doxepin, Effexor, Flexeril, Lamictal, Latuda, Lexapro, Lithium, Lunesta, Lyrica, Mirena IUD, Neurontin, Nortryptiline, Prazosin, Prozac, Paxil, Remeron, Risperdal, Soma, Tegretol, Topamax, Trazodone, Vistaril, Wellbutrin, Zoloft

#3 KarenRB53

KarenRB53

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 06:23 PM

Is there a big difference in how Zoloft works compared to Prozac? My Prozac has definitely stopped working and I'm looking at several options from my doctor. He has suggested trying Zoloft.....he has suggested adding Wellbutrin to the Prozac...he has suggested trying Imipramine. Wondering about the Zoloft.

Check out the graph on this page .
It will give you a comparison of neurotransmitter actions for the SSRIs.

jook

Thanks for the information. My main problem is that Prozac has always caused that "inner restlessness and agitation" and I want to stay away from that. In your opinion would Zoloft cause the same feelings or be less likely to compared to Imipramine. I've pretty well decided that adding Wellbutrin to the Prozac might just be too stimulating for me.

Karen

#4 KarenRB53

KarenRB53

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:08 PM

My main problem is that Prozac has always caused that "inner restlessness and agitation" and I want to stay away from that. In your opinion would Zoloft cause the same feelings or be less likely to compared to Imipramine. I've pretty well decided that adding Wellbutrin to the Prozac might just be too stimulating for me.

"Inner restlessness and agitation" could be a number of things.
It could be akathisia. It could be side effects from overstimulation of any number of neurotransmitters. It could be your illness.
If I were bipolar, I would forget SSRIs and try Wellbutrin alone. (this is only my opinion based on anecdotal evidence)
Chances are good that Zoloft will give you a similiar or worse response than Prozac (if the drug is the culprit).
Imipramine can cause mania/hypomania in bipolar patients (which may be what you are describing, I don't know)

jook

I do believe that Prozac is the culprit. I've tried other AD's and this only happens with Prozac. I did try Wellbutrin alone and it was awful. I couldn't think straight, it affected my speech, not good, however I have to say at the time my doctor had said I could just stop the Prozac and start the Wellbutrin immediately, so could have been that but when I stopped the Wellbutrin 4 days later and started taking Prozac again I felt fine.
My newest pdoc has diagnosed me with Dysthymia with Major Depressive episodes.
Thanks for your help.

Karen

#5 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• Chief Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,026 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, Epilepsy NOS, Aspergers, Agoraphobia/Social Anxiety
  • Current Meds:LTG 300mg, TPM 325mg, protriptyline 60mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 60mg EPA 600

Posted 11 May 2008 - 09:59 AM

One big difference is that Zoloft can affect dopamine, where Prozac doesn't affect it. For some folks, the little kiss to the dopamine receptors is what they need.

Stahl writes that Zoloft affects dopamine enough that it should be in its own class of multiple reuptake inhibitor antidepressants. It's more than a little kiss.

As jook writes Prozac affects dopamine, just nowhere near as much as Zoloft. Prozac is the least "selective" of the SSRIs. Prozac is damn sloppy. Its method of action is more like a TCA, spilling over onto everything, which is why combining Prozac and Zyprexa into Symbyax really is the best combination of antidepressant and antipsychotic for bipolar and other refractory depression. The two are just so broad-spectrum.
Jerod Poore - Owner, Founder and Chief Citizen Medical Expert of crazymeds.us
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

Wear my Straitjacket     Batshit Crazy Blog

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

#6 KarenRB53

KarenRB53

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 05:16 PM

Stahl writes that Zoloft affects dopamine enough that it should be in its own class of multiple reuptake inhibitor antidepressants. It's more than a little kiss.

As jook writes Prozac affects dopamine, just nowhere near as much as Zoloft. Prozac is the least "selective" of the SSRIs. Prozac is damn sloppy. Its method of action is more like a TCA, spilling over onto everything, which is why combining Prozac and Zyprexa into Symbyax really is the best combination of antidepressant and antipsychotic for bipolar and other refractory depression. The two are just so broad-spectrum.

Because Prozac has stopped working and I have to find another medication, as I said, my doctor suggested...Zoloft (which from the postings I don't think is the way to go because I think it will cause the horrible inner restlessness that I already get from Prozac......Prozac with a low dose of Wellbutrin because even though I have the inner agitation I also have no motivation to do anything (struggle to get out of bed most mornings).....or lastly he suggested trying Imipramine. Can I ask, in your opinion, which would be the best to try??? This new pdoc thinks the Prozac causes akathasia and that I'm not bipolar. I certainly have been on Prozac long enough to know that if this is as good as it gets, I 'd rather not be here. Its almost becoming an obsession, I just keep looking and looking and trying to find the answer. Feeling very fragile, like I'll split apart eventually. Sorry for rambling.

#7 KarenRB53

KarenRB53

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:55 AM

This new pdoc thinks the Prozac causes akathasia and that I'm not bipolar.

This is what I suspected by your description of 'inner restlessness'.

Maybe it's time to try something completely different. Maybe Lamictal ot lithium? Or God forbid, Abilify?

jook

I talked to pdoc this morning and he wants me to try one more thing with Prozac...he wants me to add WellbutrinSR to see what happens. Any opinions on this?

Karen

#8 remote_swimmer

remote_swimmer

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts
  • Diagnoses:Major Depression (recurrent), GAD
  • Current Meds:Effexor XR 150 mg, Ativan 0.5 mg (as needed)

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:13 PM

I have a similar diagnosis and Prozac made me feel hazy (it was difficult to think) and more anxious at the same time.

Have you thought of Paxil? It tends to be pretty sedating which makes it good for anxiety symptoms. I found it to be a pretty effective for anxiety and depression.

Because Prozac has stopped working and I have to find another medication, as I said, my doctor suggested...Zoloft (which from the postings I don't think is the way to go because I think it will cause the horrible inner restlessness that I already get from Prozac......Prozac with a low dose of Wellbutrin because even though I have the inner agitation I also have no motivation to do anything (struggle to get out of bed most mornings).....or lastly he suggested trying Imipramine. Can I ask, in your opinion, which would be the best to try??? This new pdoc thinks the Prozac causes akathasia and that I'm not bipolar. I certainly have been on Prozac long enough to know that if this is as good as it gets, I 'd rather not be here. Its almost becoming an obsession, I just keep looking and looking and trying to find the answer. Feeling very fragile, like I'll split apart eventually. Sorry for rambling.

Past meds: Paxil, Zoloft, Prozac, Buspar, Trazadone, Lexapro

#9 KarenRB53

KarenRB53

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:48 PM

I have a similar diagnosis and Prozac made me feel hazy (it was difficult to think) and more anxious at the same time.

Have you thought of Paxil? It tends to be pretty sedating which makes it good for anxiety symptoms. I found it to be a pretty effective for anxiety and depression.

No, I've never tried Paxil and its never been suggested either. I think thats partly because part of my depression is that I have no motivation whatsoever, have to force myself to even take a shower most days. I feel as if I weight a million lbs and its an effort to move.
Did you find that it worked as well as Effexor? Do you mind my asking why you stopped taking it?

Karen

#10 sorrel

sorrel

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Diagnoses: Bipolar I
  • Current Meds: lithium 1800mg (1 mmol/L)

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:54 PM

I feel as if I weight a million lbs and its an effort to move.

This is a specific symptom called "leaden paralysis" and is a clue to what kinds of drugs you may respond to. This type of depression often responds to mood stabilizers, and also to MAOIs.

I'm sorry, I don't remember your history but have you tried Lamictal?
It's terrible, Bob, to think that all I've suffered, and all the suffering I've caused, might have arisen from the lack of a little salt in my brain.

--Poet Robert Lowell, to publisher Bob Giroux, about lithium

#11 KarenRB53

KarenRB53

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:00 PM

I feel as if I weight a million lbs and its an effort to move.

This is a specific symptom called "leaden paralysis" and is a clue to what kinds of drugs you may respond to. This type of depression often responds to mood stabilizers, and also to MAOIs.

I'm sorry, I don't remember your history but have you tried Lamictal?

Yes, I've tried Lamictal twice. Both times it caused anxiety and agitation. I started at 12.5mg and got up to 25mg but had to stop taking it. I was taking it with Prozac though so I don't know if that makes a difference. My pdoc hesitates to try MAOIs because I have high blood pressure which is well treated and consistently at a good level with medication.

Karen

#12 remote_swimmer

remote_swimmer

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts
  • Diagnoses:Major Depression (recurrent), GAD
  • Current Meds:Effexor XR 150 mg, Ativan 0.5 mg (as needed)

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:38 PM

No, I've never tried Paxil and its never been suggested either. I think thats partly because part of my depression is that I have no motivation whatsoever, have to force myself to even take a shower most days. I feel as if I weight a million lbs and its an effort to move.
Did you find that it worked as well as Effexor? Do you mind my asking why you stopped taking it?

Karen

I know how you feel and if you have been on Zoloft for a while then it might not be the med for you. I found that Zoloft eventually pulled me out of my depression, but it took a really long time and it also made me feel more medicated than any other AD I've ever taken.

They affect me slightly differently. Paxil made me feel better but also kind of demotivated and unambitious. I don't mean "apathetic" or "unmotivated," but mostly like everything was just fine and I didn't have to put much effort into anything. It also made me gain weight. Given the alternative of depression and anxiety though, I'd be happy with that mental state.

Effexor is more motivating but slightly inconsistent. By that I mean that it works 95% of the time, but I will have breakthrough anxiety every now and again. The anxiety never escalates very much, but it can be annoying for a day or so. On the other hand, Effexor is more transparent (that is, I feel less medicated and more like my normal self). It is also very activating--that is, I feel like I've had a cup of coffee and I want to do stuff. In constrast, Paxil is somewhat sedating which is good if you're anxious.

These are my experiences, and as you know, YMMV.

I stopped taking Paxil because I tried to get off meds (with the consent of my pdoc). That didn't work out so well. Anyways, I decided to go back to Effexor because I found it more motivating and it is weight-neutral for me.
Past meds: Paxil, Zoloft, Prozac, Buspar, Trazadone, Lexapro

#13 KarenRB53

KarenRB53

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 04:37 PM

Yes, I've tried Lamictal twice. Both times it caused anxiety and agitation. I started at 12.5mg and got up to 25mg but had to stop taking it. I was taking it with Prozac though so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Sure it would make a difference if Prozac is causing these symptoms alone.
The only way to get rid of the symptoms is to counteract the mechanism in Prozac that is causing the symptoms and Lamictal won't do it.
If it is akathisia, Wellbutrin may do it.
A sure bet would be a beta blocker such as Inderal.

But I go back to my last post.
Try Lamictal or Li or (eek) Abilify, ALONE.

jook

How does a beta blocker such as Inderal counteract the akathisia? Or Wellbutrin for that matter?
Thanks so much,
Karen

#14 In_Remission_SherryAR

In_Remission_SherryAR
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2008 - 06:00 PM

The dopamine is great for my ADD!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog

Just a few designs from our Crazymeds' Clothes Line. See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$43. Or search the Amazon for your retail Nirvana.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy shirts
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting shirts
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Medicated For Your Protection shirts
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirts