Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious

Td From Cogentin!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_peterlost123

In_Remission_peterlost123
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:44 AM

My GP said if you go over 4mg of Cogentin you risk developing TD(Tardive Dsykinesia) and facial tics.

Is this true?

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 netsavy006

netsavy006

Would-be Neurologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Diagnoses:Asperger's + Bipolar 1: Mixed Episode
  • Current Meds:See Signature

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:15 PM

I've not heard of such a thing but that doesn't make it untrue. I'd consult a psychiatrist about that because they're trained in psychotropic medications.

Edited by netsavy006, 17 May 2008 - 06:16 PM.

- Andy -
Dx: Asperger's + Bipolar 1: Mixed Episode
Rx: Topamax 200mg + Valium 15mg + Zyprexa Zydis 5mg + Artane 6mg + Lunesta 3mg

#3 In_Remission_glitchgirl

In_Remission_glitchgirl
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:16 PM

so tell me why my doc just gave me a script for cogentin to help stop TD???

#4 Pillboxfox

Pillboxfox

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 12:38 PM

so tell me why my doc just gave me a script for cogentin to help stop TD???

Well, cogentin is THE thing to take for antipsychotic induced diskinesias, akathisisa and movement abnormalities. It works great on akathisia. I heard that somewhere too, that Cogentin and Kemadrin can give you TD. Well... there are always risks when taking a medication. Its a question of weighing the pros and cons. I keep cogentin only for times when I am on more antipsychotics than usual. Do not take it and would not like to take it daily. Maybe you can keep your cogentin PRN and take it only when you have symptoms.

Just my humble opinion,

PBF
Diagnosis: Bipolar type 2 disorder and substance abuse disorder (working hard on staying clean)
Daily med combo: Lithium 600mg + Remeron 30mg + Zyprexa 5mg (all taken at bedtime)
Lithium level: 0.5
PRN meds: Librium 10mg capsules, Haldol 2mg tabs
Emergency/crisis meds: Xanax 0.5mg tabs, Prolixin (fluphenazine) long-acting injection
Previously tried: Seroquel, Risperdal, Nozinan (levopromazine), Depakote, Lamictal, Effexor, Serzone, Trazodone, Celexa, Wellbutrin, Klonopin, Ativan, Restoril, Serax, Valium

#5 In_Remission_JustZisGuy

In_Remission_JustZisGuy
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2008 - 01:52 PM

Inderal (propranolol) is pretty great for akathisia, and has a much more pleasant (and even therapeutic) side effect profile.

#6 therapeuticbrigg84

therapeuticbrigg84

Would-be Neurologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Diagnoses:generalized anxiety, social anxiety, fibro/insomnia (schizotypal catch all)
  • Current Meds:GBP 300mg, HCTZ 25mg, ARTANE 2-4mg PRN, TRAZ 50mg PRN, fish oil

Posted 11 July 2009 - 03:59 PM

they just hate giving anything that would potentially increase dopamine in a schizophrenic, so they give you cogentin, which is highly unlikely to do anything like that, but what they are giving up for that is total effectiveness of the drug. would you give a person with parkinson's cogentin? i don't think so. but then again is your schizophrenic like symptoms, that bad??

dx: schizotypal personality disorder, dystonic neck and back pain, GERD. a bit of TD, akathisia, dysmorphic thoughts, affect is questionable

seroquel and inderal 60mg made me fatigued/ depressed. may hafta try lopressor or bisoprolol

inderal interacts with ssris and anti-psychs.

success HCTZ not only lowers my blood pressure and pulse more effectively. but it also has helped with the headaches ive been having. i should see a doctor about this.

[color="#0000FF"]rx: klonopin .5-1 prn, omega 3 fish oil, vitamin D3 iu, albuterol sulfate inhaler, magnesium hydroxide(for the constipationg)

in flux: seroquel 50mg
up and coming: nuvigil

looking into injectables.

artane 2 mg PRN(rare), trazodone 50mg PRN, lyrica PRN?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog